February 12th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/12/09

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/01/02/liveblogfinal.copy.jpg] Want to share your thoughts on the stories we're covering tonight? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program. Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment get past our moderators if you follow our rules. Here are some of them: 1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book") 2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell) 3) Use your real name (first name only is fine) 4) No links 5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*) We're so tech savvy here at AC360°. At least, we like to think we are these days. So, we've got more goodies for you. Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica. Watch our WEBCAST And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. EJ (USA)

Hi BettyAnn

February 12, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  2. V Lightle

It is time to quit acting like children and get down to running this country. We have people who have lost jobs, who may be sending their children to bed hungry. It is so frustrating to us ordinary citizens who feel helpless in watching this circus of activity. We are paying all these people big bucks. They need to get to work or get out of the game.

February 12, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  3. David, Stony Brook, NY

Hi Anderson,

I think that the mother of 14 kids is receiving way to much attention. I think she has so much children because she wanted fame. We should not encourage it by putting her on the news since we have to pay for her and her kids with our tax money.

February 12, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  4. Clarence Albuquerque

An end to division.... Obama was speaking the words of Lincoln about the struggle for union.... the home front is closer than we might be willing to admit. Blue states pulling away from red? Red from Blue?
    To quote another King:
    Can't we all just get along?

February 12, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  5. claire-wichita, ks

If he withdrew because the pressure of other Rep. then he has no backbone....

February 12, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  6. Linda T

Who are we trying to kid, the Republican's are never going to do anything to help the American People, because a Democrate won the election.

February 12, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  7. Mark - West Nyack, NY

I think that this is a black-eye for the Republicans, not the President. Senator Gregg appears fickle and weak.

February 12, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  8. Justin

Fourteen children, eight artifically seeded by a doctor...is that necessary when there are already hundreds of thousands of children that have no family in this country?

No one is giving the doctor that implanted the embryos attention either – he should have his license revoked at the very least.

February 12, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  9. James - New York

Republicans and Democrates both need to grow up and start acting like adults instead of spoiled little children, who don't get their way, we'd probably be better off if we elected monkeys

February 12, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  10. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

@Esma......Working together in a cohesive manner is not Socialism. It's just common sense and respectful of the voters who put all of them in office. This is just ridiculous.

February 12, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  11. Valerie

Anderson, I think that President Obama should just stop trying to work with the Republicans. It's clear that they don't see eye to eye with this bipartisanship, so I say chalk it all up as a learning experience and move on with working with the party that has since. The Democrats.

February 12, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  12. Debbie, Appleton Maine

Amen, Sharon!

February 12, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  13. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

I don't know, Sharon. I think the Republicans deserve the majority of criticism here as they seem to have little to no interest in compromise. I think the Democrats have actually shown a respectable amount of compromise given what they're up against.

February 12, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I hope that will be middle tax cuts changed!

February 12, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  15. Amina from TN

Good everning AC, randi and bloggers

ok this is petty
    republicans are obviously still bitter and very childdish
    president Obama needs to stop kissing up and playing nice and start getting serious. he has a majority democratic congress on his side and the approval of Americans thats enough.

February 12, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  16. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Hi, Anderson!

What is the political situation?

February 12, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  17. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, Randi, Megan, everyone blogging. Sen Gregg pulling out of the Commerce Secretary nomination is a blow for the Obama admin in some ways, I had the feeling he would be a good
    Comm. Secretary, but President Obama made the pt that Sen Gregg had a change of heart about leaving the Senate not necesarily a change of heart about working for a dem. admin. It was a bit complicated to begin with to leave his Senate seat.

I do think President is making progress w/bipartisanship, to address your pt David Gergen on working with dems and repubs in congress. He just needs to keep trying.

Anderson, Pres. Obama still has strong independent cabinet secretaries around him

February 12, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  18. Dino

why ruin the census?
    i think it should be fair and independent!

February 12, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  19. sue, montreal

It is incredable how the republicans after running your country into the ground–continue down the same road...my concern is their complete denial about, en masse as a party-what are they trying to do? They continue to try to control...disturbing people.

February 12, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  20. Jill

I also think that the republicans are going to shoot themselves in their collective feet by bucking the outreach the president has made. The American people WANT the parties to work together.

February 12, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  21. Phyllis

I agree with David's comment about the severity of the divide in Congress; well said. I keep wondering why we would think it would shift in 3.5 weeks. Shouldn't we be setting at least a 6 mo. goal and then checking it out. I think it's strange to keep checking if Pres. Obama has given up on it...why would he give up this early?

22. Mike, Syracuse NY

@Esma, it wasn't the Reps who wrote a stimulus bill that was an embarrassment. It was Pelosi and the House Dems.

23. Roland

Why should Obama have an easy day. Did any of the Left Loons give Bush an easy day. Sorry. No free pass.

24. Rikki, Fargo, ND

As I listen to all this bickering between Republicans and Democrats, I keep thinking about a quote from Abraham Lincoln and since it is his birthday I think its appropriate...'A house divided against itself cannot stand.'

25. jacqueline, ny

You are right, Rikkii. I do believe these creeps are intentionally trying to make the Obama Admin look bad. I feel it's by design. I mean, really. It's just a little fishy.

26. Justin

I hope the American people punish the Republicans in the coming elections for being obstructionists and vitriolic. They had their chance and failed miserably. I really think that they are partisans not patriots.

27. Maureen, Georgia

I don't know if Pres. Obama is ever going to have bi-partisanship with GOP it does seem there is a war on him. They know that Pres. Obama is for this stimulus package. David Gergen I don't think that the vetting was flawed because Gregg knew what he was getting into and agred to be on board with Obama's agenda, so the problem is that they believed him & maybe he was pressured by the GOP.

28. Karen, Charlotte

It seems like the republicans have declared war on President Obama and America. I think that Gregg did this at the request of the republican party and when the next election cycle comes around, Gregg and the rest of the republican thugs need to be voted out of office.

29. Carrie Bradshaw, Upper East Side

Hi Randi! So glad that you are with us again tonight. You are wonderful. 🙂

30. David, Stony Brook, NY

Partisanship is not going to happen in Obama's Administration because all republicans want to see him fail

31. Rob Hawkins

this whole scenario with Congress and the Administration reminds me of childhood on the playground. I keep going back to the old adage that goes something like "if you don't play my way, I'm going to take my ball and go home!" These people need to grow up and do the job that they were sent to Washington to dol

32. carlos

This recent resignation underscores the deep divide and the ruthlessness in politics....no wonder our country is in the mess it's in

33. Justin

The Republicans are planning ahead to the next election. If they can weaken Obama's support now, they'll have a better chance of getting their man (or woman) elected in 2012.

34. Augustine - Savannah, Georgia

I think it is too early to decide is the Republicans are out to creat healthy checks and balances for Obama or they are out to make him fail in obedience to their mentor, Rush Limbough. The coming months will tell.

Augustine (Savannah, Georgia)

35. dan

Isn't the idea of democracy that citizens disagree and work to block policies they oppose? You call it bipartisanship, I call it democracy.

36. BettyAnn Nacogdoches,TX

Good Evening Megan! Vanessa! Rikki! CaseyJ, EJ, David Glen, Lori Ann, Greg in Austin, SLEEPLESS IN GERMANY, and Anderson, Erica and all inclusive! whew! XO's

37. Sharon S

I don't think it is only Republicans, The Real problem is the Repbublicans and the Democrats at each others' throats and really are not considering the real issues!

So I would say it is both being stupid at this point, the democrats and all their pork stupid spending and the republicans trying to dictate to them what they can't do, it is a total mess!

Like I have said before all egos need to be checked at the door and Pelosi needs her mouth taped shut!

38. laura

Hi Anderson,

All I can say is that the republicans better be carefull, they are risking their future... I find it disgraceful the way they are behaving.

39. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Whining, complaining and standing in the way of forward momentum, without offering clear, concise and workable solutions will not be popular with the public. The Republicans are looking like whiners (at least the way 360 is reporting events). Is it the spin or is the reality?

40. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Anderson and David,

What happens to the political strength of President Obama such an hour?
    There as he reverse the situation, yet? –

41. Ed, Little Falls NY

All out war on Obama from Republicans? What? Can't we give the President a chance? He has been in office for just over two weeks now and there are already rumors like this flying around. Give him some time.

42. Jill

Hey Anderson, I really wonder if the republican party didn't pressure Gregg to withdraw his nomination?

43. Mike, Syracuse NY

I think Obama really wants to be bipartisan, but severely underestimated the Washington culture, plus is hurt by a lack of bipartisanship in his own history. Bloggers, stop bashing Republicans, Pelosi has made this just as hard as the Reps have.

44. Tisha

What the Republicians are doing against President Obama, will back fire on them at the polls in 2010 and 2012..

45. claire-wichita, ks

I think that the Obama administration was particularily gracious and tactful in dealing with the Gregg withdrawal. Perhaps the Republican party needs to start taking notes on decorum....

46. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

No matter how long senate terms are, there still will be partisanship. It's human nature for people to hang out with there own kind. Just like school, you have your cliques, horrid evil cliques...

47. Karen C

Come on, is forcing Obama to side NOT declaring war on him? Is it not finagling to drive a further divide between parties? It sure seems like it is maneuvering to get him in to a position of weakness. Meanwhile, the nation crashes around them. Thank you, patriotic republicans. You care so much about us all. I'm just so frustrated I could scream. So far, it seems like not only is this an impossible divide, some people in Congress won't be happy with less than the entire system crashing.

48. janie

it seems to me like there have been 'plants' put in the President's midst...to find out what he is thinking and what is going on inside the White House...then they 'pull out' to try and embarrass him....some folks want him to fail....

49. Kareen

Another Republican dirty trick. No surprise, they are at war and desperate for keeping in the news!

February 12, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  50. Esma

I agree with David Gergen (big surprise), the rift between the parties is much more severe than we thought. I don't get why the GOP thinks that further divide is an option with the state of the US right now. But maybe that's just me being a Socialist 😉

February 12, 2009 at 10:11 pm |