February 11th, 2009

When it comes to bankers, I so miss hanging

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.l.cnn.net/money/2009/02/11/news/companies/congress_banks/banking_ceos_090210.gi.03.jpg]

David Gewirtz | BIO
Editor-in-Chief, ZATZ Publishing

I miss hanging. Beheading is nice, too, but it's more messy. Besides, with a good hanging, you get to watch legs flail. And nothing beats legs a-flailin'.

Why, besides simply an appreciation of the art, do I miss hanging? One word: bankers. You see, we recently gave some bankers at Morgan Stanley and Smith Barney, and the like a whole lot of money. Money measured in the billions. In fact, money measured something on the order of $60 billion for those two companies alone.

Why did we give them our hard-earned taxpayer money? Simple. They screwed up. They screwed up so royally that to let them fail might take the country down with them. Now, I've screwed up royally once or twice myself, but you don't see the government rushing to hand me $60 billion.

So, anyway, you'd think the world-class screw-ups that work for these banks would be thrilled they still have a job. After all, there are a whole lot of people who don't have jobs right now - and in many cases, it's the fault of the turkeys at the banks.

Apparently, these days, the folks at Morgan Stanley and such are even more thrilled to have a job, because they're about to get $2-3 billion dollars in not-bonuses. Yep, they're at it again.

These are now called "retention awards" and, according to co-president of Morgan Stanley James Gorman, they're being given to top employees at the bank so they don't leave to go somewhere else, possibly to destroy another entire industry.

Now, let me be clear. I have nothing against people making money. I like money. I don't even begrudge corporate executives making incomprehensibly obscene amounts of money. As far as I'm concerned, Bill Gates and Warren Buffet earned every penny they've got.

But I do begrudge giving companies huge amounts of taxpayer money as a result of poor management. I marginally accept the necessity, but I don't have to like it. But what infuriates me (and most of America, frankly) is watching that taxpayer money (or one sleight-of-hand bookkeeping trick away from being that taxpayer money) being given away as "awards" to the very same managers that caused the problem.

What's worse, the "retention awards" are calculated on 2008 numbers, which apparently gives these executives even higher amounts of cash. Once again, they're playing the greed card.

This time, though, they're playing with America's money. It really is time these people wised up and stopped trying to suck the system dry for their own personal enrichment. After all, they need to live within the system and gated community or not, if the economy implodes far enough, nothing's going to protect them from the people they've wronged.

I do so miss hanging.

Editor’s note: David Gewirtz is Editor-in-Chief, ZATZ Magazines, including OutlookPower Magazine. He is a leading Presidential scholar specializing in White House email. He is a member of FBI InfraGard, the Cyberterrorism Advisor for the International Association for Counterterrorism & Security Professionals, a columnist for The Journal of Counterterrorism and Homeland Security, and has been a guest commentator for the Nieman Watchdog of the Nieman Foundation for Journalism at Harvard University. He is a faculty member at the University of California, Berkeley extension, a recipient of the Sigma Xi Research Award in Engineering and was a candidate for the 2008 Pulitzer Prize in Letters.

Filed under: Bailout Turmoil • David Gewirtz • Wall St.
  1. andre d.eugene

i wonder what would happen if everyone took their money out of the banks.hmmmmmmm.not a bad idea.if you think about it.what do you need banks for anyway.you have prepaid cards,wal mart cashes paychecks now.i mean you can go on and on.thats what we need.you can call the rally"insufficient funds".

February 12, 2009 at 2:15 am |
  2. Roger

I think that the public should boycott any company who has issued these bonusses to their executives..... forget about the bailout. Petition the government to direct the money into smaller financial institutions. Allow the small institutions to grow and blossom, provide them a huge finacial stimuli in order to replace the manipulative big banks. Just make one major stipulation, they may not hire any executive from any of the big banks without having financial penalties.
    If smaller banks have the stimuli they may be able to offer loan consolidation for many borrowers.
    Let the big banks enjoy the whole they dug.

February 12, 2009 at 1:38 am |
  3. Mike

America is too lenient on these crooks. Follow China's example, execute them with a rifle and bill their family for the bullets.

February 11, 2009 at 11:59 pm |
  4. Andrea in CT

Hanging is to good for the "CEOs". make them live our lives for one year: make them work one or two jobs that pay no more than $20/hr and offer no healthcare insurance, allow them no income other than their weekly paycheck, but they are allowed to draw from their savings and retirement funds to help cover monthly expenses...and when all their money is gone, have the former CEOs stand in line to apply for cash assistance, food stamps and medicaid insurance. Somewhere during their 'year of reality", have them be the guest of honor at town hall style meetings across the country to experience the fear, desperation and impotent rage coming from US citizens for whom this lifestyle is not a one year experience but an ongoing nightmare. Then you can hang them.

February 11, 2009 at 11:55 pm |
  5. Scott

I think it was best said by Thomas Jefferson:

“...Banks... are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.

If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of our currency, the Banks and the Corporations...will deprive the people of (their) property:

UNTIL THEIR CHILDREN WAKE UP HOMELESS ON THE CONTINENT THEIR FATHERS CONQUERED.

The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.”

February 11, 2009 at 11:54 pm |
  6. Rink Rat

The real crime in this country is not the wall street bonus that have been paid out for hard working people – the real crime are the people and families that, in some cases, for generations are on the public dole. Receiving welfare not working or producing anything for society. Can someone please figure out how much that is costing this country ?

February 11, 2009 at 11:46 pm |
  7. Bob Jenkins

No more money until they tell us where the first loan went, it needs to be in a report to congress and the news papers.
    I am a Realtor for over 30 years now and the banks do not care about who they hurt or how much they charge for a loan for a home buyer and even to a point of telling the escrow and the agents what they will accept and what they do not in a loan even though it was agreed to by both buyer and seller.( I have a good example if you need to research).
    How come Wells increased interest rate last week when no one else did.
    I heard Citi is going to release a bundle of homes on the market in the next 90 days, that will not help our market as prices will keep going down, we need to stop this process to stablize the market.
    Thank you for your time.

February 11, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  8. Bruce Hendrickson

Anderson,
    Please try to put up the photos of the Bank CEO's who are so guilty of ripping off the public with their huge bonuses. People need to see their faces constantly. Can you post them at the bottom of your news stories at maybe intermittent times or anyway possible?

February 11, 2009 at 11:36 pm |
  9. Christopher

I live in Texas, 10 miles north of Reynosa, Mexico, a city and a nation that is in financial ruin and choas. It's in that shape because of leaders who are corrupt and citizens who have been oppressed and victimized. But victims are only victims if they choose to be! In Mexico, they're cutting off heads and putting them on the end of sticks. I think that the next Bank CEO who says, "Americans don't understand Wall Street. We HAVE to pay out 'commissions' or else we'll lose our people" should be taken down to Mexico and spend a day looking at a head of a corrupt leader that's on the top of a stake. If they don't fix this mess, God help 'em. We will not eat cake! I've lost 38% of my investments and I'm returning my house to Citimortgage, while their CEO says to Congress, "I get it." No, he doesn't! Not when he's making what he's making. Let him look at a head on a stick for a day! Because that's where he's headin' (no pun intended).

February 11, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  10. Sandi

If my business failed and I owed creditors, wouldn't I have to sell my assetts to pay-off my creditors in order to stay in business? Why aren't we asking the bankers to sell-off their assetts (multiple homes, etc.) in order to stay in business before lending them billions? Better yet, why are they still employed in top-level positions when their businesses performed so poorly? Most of us would have lost our job if we had that type of work performance.

February 11, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  11. Gail in Oceanside

Banks have taken the stimulus checks and hired more people to call and harass me about when I would be able to pay my bills. Case in point , I just got a call from CItibank asking when I expected to pay my mortgage. I am not late nor do I have former late payments on my mortgage. Ionly owe Feb which is late after t he 15th which is 4 days out . When did one st art get t ing calls BEFORE t he mortgage is due? they called me at WORK!!!

February 11, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  12. David Chambers

the quote of 'they don't get it' is incorrect, they did get it (money wise).

February 11, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  13. Pamala

Hi Anderson, Could someone explain in plain language why do these bankers get to keep their jobs, in light of how they used the first bail out money they got in the first place? Is there no other individuals who understand money markets, and such, can take these bankers positions? Any one else would have been fired for far less!!

February 11, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  14. Jim,California

David- Hanging is too fast – Crucifixion would be more appropriate then distribute thier wealth gained by greed to those who need it & lost their homes & lives because of these buzzards, since we can't do that until such time as Congress makes it legal- We can do the next best thing it is called STOP Doing bussiness with Banks as we can live without them- they cannot live without us. I took my money out of the bank & pay in CASH.

February 11, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  15. joseph

mabey they should investigate wells fargo employment suchas hireing of ileagal's to work for them in texas question how are they hiding this and why are they getting away with this

February 11, 2009 at 11:02 pm |
  16. Lila Tquino

If They Have To Pay These CEO's Because Of A Contract, Then The Contract Should Have Been Waved. Rather Than Takening American Tax Money To Fulfill There Contract, Using The People's Money To Pay These CEO's Is Not Going To Help Anyone But The CEO's, It's The Same Old Deal The Rich Get Richer & The Poor Get Poorer, It's Just As I Knew Beforhand The Goverment Is Not Going To Do Anything That Will Help The People. They Just Churn Out Lie After Lie This Country Is Ran By Nothing But Liar’s, They Give Away Million's & Billion's And Now Trillion's But Not One Cent For The American People If They Do Give The People As A Tax Cut Or A So Called Economy Stimulus Package It's Not Enough To Do Anyone Any Good, (Mabe Pay One's Gas Or Light Bill For Half A Month). Any Little Chump Change They Do Set Aside For The People Have To Be Paid Back With Interest Buy The People Them Self But Non Of The Tax Payers Money That Is Given Away Year After Year To To Country's That Hate America And Murder People Is Never Persued For Repayment.

February 11, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  17. Adriana Melendez

Dear Anderson Copper

I really enjoy the CNN news team and your reports from around the world. As for the Bank's CEO asking for forgiveness, if they really care for the American people and want their forgiveness. Why won't they donate half of the salaries to help home owners losing their homes?

New York, Adriana

February 11, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  18. Jen in maryland

What is with the Obama worship? He was not born of a virgin and I have not seen him walk on water. He is a man people not your savior. p l e a s e!!!

February 11, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  19. J Ziegler

TARP money for jobs...of course, we get paid to be here don't we?

February 11, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  20. Eric

STOP, STOP, STOP asking if these bank executives "get it". Yes, they get it, they just don't care!

February 11, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  21. Patsy

Hi Anderson –

I feel that most Americans do "get it" and are scurrying to change habits while meeting obligations taken on without much thought to consequences. However, while we continue trying to make ends meet with less work hours and fewer customers at our small business I deeply resent the excessive bank fees being charged. We have a great credit rating (difficult to maintain during times like these) but because I went a few dollars over my limit in December we were dinged 39. overlimit fee and CHASE drove our interest rate up to 29.99%. The bank has been contacted several times and remains very inflexible. We will be paying this account off this month and when I told the last representative that we would be closing the account he asked "why". Besides being rude he was obviously also stupid!

I think of the young mother or father who on Wednesday have to write a $10 check to cover a co-pay for a child's prescription hoping it will not clear before Friday. The penalty if it does is as much as $35. or the check that has to be written for a field trip, electricity, medical co-pay.

It will be a long, long, long time before I think it's okay for these crooks to go to Vegas or anywhere else for that matter. Stay at work and do your job!

February 11, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  22. Lauren Rogers, WV

If we hang bankers, do we get to pick their pockets too? Please, please, with a cherry on top? Cause, they picked OUR pockets, and then hung US out to dry, so it'd sorta only be fair, like.

February 11, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  23. Katja, Bradenton, FL

The Wall Street Execs should be jailed for fraud. Then again, Congress gave them money that our grandchildren will be paying for, without hearings, without question, without thought. Personally I think that the members of Congress who pushed the bailout through, should also be jailed for fraud. Send Hank Paulsen with them.
    How much of a hypocrite is Barney Frank, Nancy Pelosi and all the rest, after feeding us big lines of bull, and now crying foul? They should all be removed from office, they are going do be the death of this country.

February 11, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  24. Benoît Lacelle

OK, so I might just be the minority in opinions about the banking industry be I do feel that the media has been reporting only one side of this issue. I understand how easy it is to blame the executives of these institutions for all the economic problems but the fact of the matter is everyone shares in the blame.

Fact 1: Yes, banks executives lost sight of the long term sustainability of the companies they run for short term profits. They hold a blame for not looking out for the long term capital appreciation of their shareholders wealth in which they are hired to manage. Shareholders have paid a very high price for this. This specific blame is to mostly in part to the lack of involment of shareholders in the companies they own.

Fact 2: Regulators were nowhere to be seen. Biggest mistake Alan Greenspan ever made was thinking to Executives would look out for the interest of their shareholders and company without supervision. Horrible assumption, we don`t let children play in the park without adult supervision.

Fact 3: A contrat is a contrat is a contrat...homebuyers should have had the commen sense to not buy house they couldn't afford. When 60% of your net income goes towards the mortgage payment something is wrong. They made a bad bet on home pricing continuing to rise and now they must take the consequence. Contrairy to popular opinion, I think it is a moral hazzard to help homeowners buy reducing the money they owe. If the bank wishes to do that, that's fine, but the government should reward irresponsibility...that's a sipplery slope and may encourage other owners to not make their payments simply to catch a break. I understand the hypocrite side of this argument but banks do pay dividends on the money they took, it was not free and the government actually can make quite a bit of money off these deals. EX: borrow 25 billions from China in the form of Treasury auction at 2% then lend that money to Wells Fargo pays you 5% dividends on your money. The government just became the bank.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I understand the news business is about ratings, and talking about greedy bankers gets more people watching then discussing home buyer or regulator irresponsibility but each should be mentionned as a cause to this problem.

Just Keeping Them (CNN) honest...

February 11, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  25. ned

This event was shameful. Not because of the bankers, but because of the politicians. It was pure grandstanding. Barney Frank was one of the chief architects of the financial crisis and he is lecturing the bankers? Leadership is not fanning the flames of class warfare. This does nothing to solve our problems. It is simply an attempt to draw attention away from the incompetence of the Congress and the fact that they did not do their job. instead they created the legislation that incented the banks to provide mortgages to unqualifiied buyers.

February 11, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  26. Steven - Toluca Lake, CA

Q: How can you tell when the eight bank CEOs are lying.

A: When their lips are moving.

Here are some thoughts:
    1) Some of these CEOs said that their bank did not seek a bailout, then why did the Feds give it to them?

2) These same CEOs then say that they're loaning more money than they receive from the bailout but who are getting these loans.

SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!

3) What is this garbage facade that they're putting up by saying that they're taking $1 dollar a year salary? Who is buying that bridge?

February 11, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  27. Amy

What happened to un-biased reporting??? The clip you just showed of congress grilling the bankers is basically political grand-standing. Why don't you report that not all the banks up there were in trouble, nor did they want the money. In fact, they rejected the money until the government forced them to take it. Do a little more research, and give us the FULL story. I would like to hear what the other, non-Citi CEO's have to say.

February 11, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  28. Cloe

Hanging is probably too good for them, but it sure would be fun! I think we should take all the money away that they earned last year, and use it to pay back some of the "tarp"...... then tar, feather, and parade them thru the streets of our cities!!!! The greed is overwhelming, and has been for years. What actual kind of work have these people actually done that merits such salaries and bonuses?? Think up some bizarre secruritization thing that they can sell all over the world.... that's not worth the paper its printed on? Come on, get real, make them scrub toilets for a few years! And, our fearless leaders in Washington sure didn't do much today when they were testifying.... what's that old saying " sticks and stones may hurt my bones, but words don't.....

February 11, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  29. Kim

The real people that the banks are hurting are common Americans like me. They keep lying saying they are allowing more loans but the truth of the matter is they are not. Common folk that are US Citizens get nothing when it comes to a lone but if you are from a foreign country you can get a lone. Wake up Washington they are still selling us out.

February 11, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  30. Steve S

I realize that these 8 banker CEOs have to protect their organizations against the being screwed by the banking committee. They are all afraid of Barney Frank. When is one of them going to tell Mr. Frank that HE DOES NOT GET IT. The reason the banks are in this situation is because Barney Frank FORCED them to make stupid loans to people who did not deserve a home loan. The banks made bad loans because they were afraid that if they didn't that they would be blackballed by Barney and the boys.

February 11, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  31. David Druckerman

It's really nauseating. Let's just all go on strike...Everyone. We have to let them know we're not going to take it.

February 11, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  32. LuAnn in Colorado

Whenever there is a virus or poison isn't the best thing to do is to purge? (sometimes our bodies will vomit – cause it knows what is best for it) We simply need to purge all the mortgage debt up to $500,000. The debt is over exaggerated anyway. The mortgages aren't worth the paper it's printed on. So purge it. Under FDIC the government need only guarantee deposits. All mortgages under 500K should be made free and clear. What's the worst that could happen? This would be closer to free market capitalism. Example: If you own a business and bought inventory – and fail at your business and can't sell your inventory – – brings me back to case in point – purge –

February 11, 2009 at 9:52 pm |
  33. Annie Kate

@April

I think we blame Wall St. because of people like Madoff and the execs that paid themselves big salaries and bonuses. They make more in 6 months than I will see in a lifetime.

As for personal accountability – I don't live on the dole; I pay my credit card balance off in full each month; I have a house we bought 10 years ago on a VA loan at a fixed low rate of interest that we make payments on time each month; we eat at home most nights with an occasional night out for a b'day; we give to charity; and we save for retirement and a rainy day. I don't look at deals that seem too good to be true because I know they usually are. I think I have done what I was suppose to do so I don't feel bad calling Madoff and some of the other CEOs to fault for all this. Just my opinion.....

February 11, 2009 at 9:49 pm |
  34. Lord Cutler Beckett

Pirates, I believe they have an appointment with the noose. I would hate for them to miss it.
    The axe for the common criminal of course. For the sword too common. Alas such would be the older means to en end.

February 11, 2009 at 9:48 pm |
  35. Chris K. Clinton Twp. MI.

The banking institutions will receive their judgement through lack of deposits, investors, and ultimatly a failing buisness from lack of trust. My childrens children will be reared not to use them or trust them allong with pensions or investment firms. Unfortunatly this is the latest American trend. Their investment tools border on insanity and are likely to fail, allong with the insurance hedging used to safeguard their extravagent investment tools.
    They should be hung for treason, their actions have directly compramized our natonal security.

February 11, 2009 at 9:30 pm |
  36. Jan - Lancaster PA

Really think the last Administration should be held accountable for how they rolled out the TARP funds. The other day CNN announced you thought your coverage of the current President was good & that your coverage should be vigilant (can't remember exactly how it was termed). You know, the media did not hold Bush accountable for anything. You also continue to allow the Repubs a free pass on their opinions when their philosophy is what has resulted in the high oil prices, the economic problems, the fact that we are in Iraq when we should have focused on Afghanistan, and on and on. I would have alot more respect for your network if your focus was fair, accurate (not taken out of context and misrepresented), and hold ALL of GOVERNMENT ACCOUNTABLE, not just this President.

February 11, 2009 at 9:27 pm |
  37. Luis

Does anybody trust JP Morgan Chase and the crook Jamie Dimon. This guy is a snake, he took Bear Stearns with the FED's help of $30 Billion and dumps the risky assets Of Bear Stearns onto the books of the Fed.

This Pathetic. Look it up, CNN ain't going to do it for you
    These fools actually borrowed more than any other bank. Only only reason they didnt barrow again from the TARP program is because it went through the Federal Reserve.

GOOGLE: Maiden Lane LLC.

February 11, 2009 at 9:26 pm |
  38. Mike in NYC

More Villain of the Week idiocy. This kind of stuff is really getting old.

Face it, folks, the country did it to itself. The only innocents are those who managed their financial affairs prudently and purchased only what they could afford. If you fall into that select group, congratulations - you're entitled to throw stones. If not, then you did your small (or maybe not so small) part in helping to create this mess we're in.

February 11, 2009 at 8:56 pm |
  39. Jim M

Once you hang them they lose their "value." I would suggest tar and feathers and a ride out of town on a rail.

February 11, 2009 at 8:49 pm |
  40. Caroleen Wilkes

Many cynics are concerned with all the proposed bank constrictions, similiar to that of the 1930s. But because of their irrespondible spending, the American people are facing unprecedented circumstances that should result in no bank accountability. Therefore, Geithner's plan of revisions and oversight on banks, is well deserved.

February 11, 2009 at 8:48 pm |
  41. April

Hi Anderson,

I am deeply disturbed how America has shifted the blame to Wall Street for the mortgage crisis only. Where does personal accountability as an American citizen come into play? We have gotten away from working hard towards a goal to instant gratification upfront. We have become a country that has this unquenching thirst for "excessiveness" or "gluttony". Whether it is the big cars that we drive or the credit card debt that we amass to keep up with the "Joneses", we have become a nation of living above our means. Why do we expect top financial institutions to just lend as if there shouldn't be certain standards in place? Frankly, if there were more stricter standards prior to this crisis, then we could have prevented the numbers of foreclosures that we are currently faced with. Agreed, the American public is upset and emotional. However, how many of these homeowners are acknowledging the fact that simply put, "I was caught with living above my means"? Truth be told Anderson, all levels contributed to this crisis. We can go back and forth and assign percentages of blame, however this will not contribute to the solution. Individual Americans, mortgage professionals/lenders, and the government failed on all levels. Lets not blame this totally on Wall Street or 9 or so banks. The companies that contributed to these circumstances primarily are probably no longer in business. I agree wholeheartedly, there has to be a certain level of transparency from the financial institutions that received TARP funding, however, there are costs that you incur to do business. Americans should not assume that the TARP funding is the only dollars that are being spent by these companies when they are doing business. I believe the media needs to be more objective versus subjective and stop feeding into public outrage that tends be very emotional in nature. We as Americans, oftentimes make decisions based upon bare facts versus the full story. You can't have 6 CEOs being "flogged" by Congressmen and Congresswomen, who should have influenced the regulators to take a better stance in protecting the mortgage industry from this fallout. Realize that most of these companies were not in the business of doing sub prime mortgages. As Americans, let first evaluate ourselves and determine whether we have contributed to this mess before we start putting the blame at another's doorstep.

If we start scruitinizing how American taxpayer dollars are spent, we should have been outraged a long, long, long, time again. From our welfare system to the war in Iraq, the poor spending of American taxpayers dollars has always been a problem in this country. Lets not become a country that there is no personal accountability left. This country was not built on laziness, manipulation, or excuses. This country was built on hard work, preparation, and opportunity. Lets revert back to the things that made us great as a nation.

Thanks Anderson!!

February 11, 2009 at 8:47 pm |
  42. Suzi

They told us to go eat cake.

Off with their heads!

February 11, 2009 at 8:28 pm |
  43. earle,florida

This is not white collar crime, when families are committing murder,and suicide packs! This is not white collar crime, when entire families are forced to live in cars! This is not white collar crime, when people are inprisoned for irrational behavior,brought on by destitude,and hopelessness unable to feed, or cloth their families! This is not white collar crime, when people turn to alcohol,and drugs to sooth the night-marish realities brought on by the futility of nothingness! Yes, this plethora of intangibles is only imposed on the plebeians of society criminals? Hang-em- High; just like they do in "China",...

February 11, 2009 at 8:21 pm |
  44. David Mulder

Momma was right,
    Money doesn’t bring happiness!
    But, I would think it would bring individuality.

February 11, 2009 at 7:56 pm |
  45. Larry

'Hanging' and not a single black face in the picture.

February 11, 2009 at 7:51 pm |
  46. sherry, northern Calif.

It is not Wall St. or the Bankers fault. In 1999 our government married these two beasts of burden at the benefit of taxpayer's deposits. Our Government dis-mantled the Glassman-Steagall Act. CEO's and BROKERS took advantage of this opprotunity. They were going down the freeway of money, money, money and they own the world. If we do not give them the money they will fall. We will fall with them. Help us. I pray everyday, in spite of this itty bitty bailout they have handed out to us. Compared to what they have received it is grains of sand and they got the boulders. We will be back for more and take my word so will they.

February 11, 2009 at 7:39 pm |
  47. Sharon L Hill, Deltona, FL

Amen brother. They've comityed fraud more ways then one they should be hung.

February 11, 2009 at 7:32 pm |
  48. Annie Kate

Hanging is too good for these folks. What about hang, draw, and quartering like they used to do in olde England? Gruesome but got the job done.

Seriously though why are these people still on the job where they can subvert the funds again to their own pockets? These should have been the first people out the door.

February 11, 2009 at 7:17 pm |
  49. Erik

Dear Anderson.
    I am a faithful viewer of CNN and most of its broadcast.
    You are my favorite so I am writing you.
    Please can you talk to your colleges!
    And ask them to PLEASE STOP, this looking for and only reporting on the negative and sensationalized news.
    Case in point, criticizing President Obama, and what and how much he has done or not done in ONLY THREE WEEKS!
    It can take that long just to get a book from Amazon…
    MY GOD!!!! Compared to the last 8 years! Give it a rest!
    It is not helping anything!
    He is only a human!
    Shame o CNN!! Your job is to report the News! Not make up the news for ratings!!
    Erik
    New Hope PA

February 11, 2009 at 7:12 pm |
  50. Monika

I think torture would be nice, too, before the hanging.

February 11, 2009 at 6:45 pm |