February 11th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/11/09

Want to share your thoughts on the stories we're covering tonight? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She'll filling in for Erica tonight. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Jon. Atlanta

I was amazed at how easy some of the members of congress went on these "fat cats". Not that I think that the auto industry is much better, but they asked for way less money and they got grilled. These CEOs are never going to get it, they will still charge high fees and try to get rich no matter who goes down.

February 11, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  2. mike mylar

I am now watching 360 and am wanting to know all the aspects of and opinions of the government economic plan. Why are you wasting our time reporting on the freakish woman with 8 babies and her Jolie connection. Please leave that to the tabloids. Mike

February 11, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  3. Sanjay

I have a job. Have a mortgage of 6.15 30 yrs paid 20 % down. Is there any way I can lower my interest and/or take some advantage of some of the bank lineancies put out for the foreclosured folk ?

Boston

February 11, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  4. Esma

Hi, Anderson!
    Regarding my favorite armchair critique topic (aka Octomom), I think that the multitudes of people who, regarding her situation, keep saying that "children are a blessing" need to donate most of their paychecks to her. Did everyone notice that she has those lovely acrylic nails on top of lots of Angie-driven surgery? Bottom line: She is crazy.

February 11, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  5. Sharon

I am a widow with 2 young daughters 12 and 8 year old. I have invested the life insurance money in a no load fund with Vanguard 40 % bonds and 60% stocks. I have lost a significant amount of money and am wondering do I stay in this investment or look for safe changes?
    Feel free to ask more questions I am not financially knowlegible.
    Thank you.
    Sharon

February 11, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  6. Gary - Indianapolis, IN

It's disgusting that these bank ceo's not only pay themselves bonuses under these conditions but they're squeezing their customers for even more money by levying fees and jacking up rates. My rate more than doubled despite flawless payment record.

February 11, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  7. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Evening Cooper. Glad you could rip yourself away from your blackberry. (I'm just assuming 😉 ) You should do promos for them.

February 11, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  8. Jerry Vogelgesang

Anderson-
    Enjoy the show. The CEOs should be in jail-their excuses are ridiculous.
    God Bless You,
    Jerry Vogelgesang
    Little Rock, Arkansas

February 11, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  9. Lee - Oregon

Good Evening Anderson,

Can someone please explain to me why the federal gov't can't send auditors to these banks and find out just exactly where they spent the last batch of taxpayer's money? How could all that money be passed out with no accountability. Makes no sense.

Republicans wisen up. Tax cuts alone will NOT create jobs. With millions of Americans losing jobs, tell me how tax cuts in their paychecks are going to help!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't think so.

February 11, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  10. Betsy---Florida

Credit Card Interest Rates!!! Yes, that's what drives me crazy. Forcing the banks to reduce interest rates from 30% down to 6% would put real money in pockets of many average voters...and it would do it within a month. (which has also been getting shorter according to banks)

February 11, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  11. Carrie Bradshaw, Upper East Side

Mr. Gergen,

I do not feel that Congress should ever "rubber stamp" things, am I wrong in this?

Clearly we need some caution and investigation, however, in this case we need action. It is one thing to show normal caution, but they just need to move at this point. Time is of the essence, folks.

Why is Geithner taking so long to bring the facts on this? Even President Obama is out there pounding the pavement. Gotta respect him for that.

February 11, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  12. Robin

Question for Suze: I've just relocated for work and am leasing my home in the old city, should I even be considering buying a home in the new city or should I rent and wait to see what the market does? My company is helping me with all relocation costs in the new city and I think it is a good opportunity to buy. What is your opinion?

February 11, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  13. Mat B.

Hi Suze! I am 25 yrs old from Southeast Texas, one of a few places left in the country where the economy is still afloat. Our housing market is doing well also. My question is: In 2 months i will receive 40K in annuity payments. Originally i had planned on putting down on my first home. The more and more i watch the news the more and more i am scared to take the risk. Will this economic crisis catch up to my area? Is investing in such a huge investment smart right now? Or should I just put this money in my mattress and wait for the light at the end? With interests rates at such a low percentage...it makes sense to do it, then again??...HELP!!

February 11, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  14. Candace from Canada

I need an "asset relief fund" also.

Where do I apply? 😉

February 11, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  15. Sam M. Ewa Beach, HI

Does anybody feel the stimulus plan will prevent college tuitions from raising in 6 months (new school year)? Or will the prerogative be high schools and grants?

February 11, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  16. Glen Up North

Franky, I'm not contradicting you... I'm just wondering if there's going to be anything set in place to decide who gets loans... or if anyone whose situation wouldn't have qualified in the past would get qualified. It's almost a Catch-22: the bad loans brought us this situation, which in turns seems to require "bad" loans for those affected to survive...

February 11, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  17. Rocky

It is unbelievable to me that the 15000.00 dollar credit was removed from the stimulis. In one word that is STIMILUS! The working guy never gets a break.I am a hard working man who does all the right things. But we get the least help!.........Go Figure!

Rocky

February 11, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  18. candi De Leon

Americans want to celebrate Angelina Jolie and her rabbit like baby making, why are we so annoyed with Sullivan? Am glad Angelina is compared to this lady, Celebrities need to take responsibility for their ego greed competition! Shame on Angelina, she makes me sick! When are you doing an interview with her over Sullivan influence?

19. Lauri Huston

I would like to put forward a suggestion to everyone out there with regard to the banks and their insular attitude toward the average American:

Go out, find a credit union you can qualify to join and move all your money, credit cards and loans ( where possible) to a credit union. They are safer, better capitalized and the share holders are the members not a board. A credit union board is generally voluntary and comprised of business leaders in the community who are themselves members.

There are many credit unions that are community credit unions that can accept all people within a credit union not just for a specific industry like a teacher's credit union or tech credit union.

20. Scott C. Palmer

In 2003 when Aurthor-Anderson and the accounting scandles occured, millions of americans that had earned their life savings had their money erased to the tune of $ 9 Trillion dollars.

Since then congress has spend almost twice that, when they could have just passed the first 9 trillion and gave it back to the investors that were ripped off.

The economy wouldn't have skipped a beat.

21. Marcellino

So CitiBank says they'll get it now...does that mean they'll retract their decision in increasing the interest rates for credit cards? Mine personally jumped from 9% to 24% for no reason, and for that I will never trust them again.

22. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo David Gergen!!!
    I agree with you too...... I think that congress and senators agree $789 billions to help people not bailout..... I am so happy that Senators already passed $838 billions last night! 🙂

23. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

@Elizabeth I agree the Coop has a nice tie and shirt but be careful. He is paranoid if he thinks his clothes talk to you. I never say anything about his clothes any more! 😉 lol

24. Rose, Canada

Has anyone followed up on the lady that the President spoke to? The lady that wanted her own kitchen and bathroom?

25. Ruth

Concerning the lady with the 14 children. She is scandalous! I figured that she had plastic surgery. It was a botched job and she looks ridiculous! Not only is she trying to look like Angelina Jolie but she is also trying to have a lot of children like her! This woman has psychological issues and it makes me wonder how fit is she to take care of all those children?

26. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The Republicans who voted for the bill may have had the best interest of the taxpayers in mind, but the Democrats who stuck so much pork on this package obviously didn't!

27. barbara

i would like to start a class action suit again wall street and all the other companies who took bail out money but instead used all the big bucks for their own financial wealth i.e. bonuses. who wants to pay tax money knowing that the rich are getting richer while the rest of us are losing our jobs,homes, etc. there is something definitely wrong with this picture and something should be done about it NOW.

28. Clarence Albuquerque

Did I understand that "Liberal Republicans" were actually able to propose their own major projects in the stimulus plan... just so that the whole thing would be passed? Those three Republicans wielded a lot of say so... if I do say so my self.

29. Kate

Question for Suzie: My 2003 car is on it's last leg. I have been considering (and usually do) buying last year's model and hope to save $5-6000 on the purchase price. With the new stimulus package, is it worth buying a 2009 instead? Thanks! Kate

30. Reggie in Dallas

Hey, Anderson. Keep wondering why no one is talking about the institutional and non-bank lenders that have disappeared or are not lending. That is where the shortfall is. It is not the big banks. They are actually doing their part. To understand what I am talking about requires a bit of actual research, but come on, that's what CNN is supposed to be doing.

31. Brandi - bottom of the boot

goodevening all. for some reason the blog doesnt let me pull it up until a few after 9 (here) 10 (there). lol

hello ALL bloggers, too many groupies to name. lol

im very interested in the education aspect of this plan.

Hey Mr. Gergenmeister! so wonderful to hear your sweet voice! 🙂

32. Patrice Ackerman

When will the real culprit be named? That fat pig Barney Frank sits in judgement when it was his brainstorm to guarantee with the government's money, deadbeats who couldn't afford a house because they wouldn't get off their asses and pursue the American dream. Impeach Barney Frank!!!!!!!!!!!!

33. LuAnn in Colorado

Regarding the mother of octuplets: I hope all the pro-lifer's are taking notes – life begins at the point of fertilization ? okay .......but does frozen count? Apparently it did for her. The rest is history.

34. Pete F

I can't believe that they pulled the $15k from the bill for homeowners. With the news of this bill and confidence portrayed by the President on Monday evening many people hit the streets with extra buying power only to have the wind pulled from their sales. I am in the Mortgage business working for a top north east real estate company. When this hit this afternnon that the $15k was pulled from bill, it literally made people scream. I really don't understand, it was huge boost to a market that needs buyers!

35. L Carilo, H.R. CO

OK. Really, who’s going to make certain that these executives (or whoever follows them) don’t go over the top again ~ old habits die hard. Somebody please tell them that those big corporate retreat days are over. Here’s a thought: Hold “meetings” at corporate headquarter, fly coach, and instead use personal earnings and personal vacation time (when earned) to “get-away.”

36. Stacy

The politics of this situation is not near as important to me as what works. Why is the coverage focused on the "selling" of this bill and not what economists are saying? I realize there are a lot of unknowns here, but there is data out there regarding specifics of the bill.

37. jackie

instead of giving the banks money that they will not loan to the people that need, because their credit had been damaged, the government should require the banks to restructure the subprime loans to a fixed 30 year loan at a low interest rate with the assurance that if they then lose the house they would then buy the house from the bank. This would keep struggling families in their home and lower payments, which will increase spending ability. More than 90% would then be able to keep their homes. Add to this a program to assure anyone that has lost their home due to subprime other reasons in the last five years. Banks will not loan good people money to but homes that have a foreclosure on their record. Again this would allow people to get back in homes, with lower payments which should have the ripple effect needed to jump start the economy from the lower end instead of the higher end. If you start at the top, it will take forever or may never get to the people that really need it. If you start at the bottom, it will start almost immediately.

38. Juan Gachet

I really hope this bill works. (Perhaps more than 30%)

The question Anderson is if we can see “Real” results, results that will pay dividends to those who need it most. Parent’s trying to put food on the table for their young, and college students struggling to find a job to finance next tuition. (Where do we go for a bailout?)

Juan Gachet
    San Jose , CA

39. patty

My loan thru Chase bank is proof that banks are doing nothing to assist people in saving there homes. The only reason they havent taken are house is because we hired an attorney with are last couple thousanD. The banks dont have enough people working there to help everyone and constantly lost are paperwork, that is why we needed an attorney. When i saw the ceos today on your show, all i could think was they are sooo out of touch! with whats going on with homeowners.....

40. Mandy

Dear Anderson,
    Question for Suzie. We (Family of 4) want to buy a house in Atlanta that we have been following for 8 months. Price has fallen down from $410,000 to $325,000 compared to the market that has come down by about 15%. Have been pre-approved and can put 20% down. Have rainy day fund for about 8 months in case of job loss. Other debt includes $50k as student debt. We are sure to stay in this prospective house for the next four years, as long I have the job. Thanks, Mandy

41. arafan

hi, suzi i have some money to invest where is the best place to invest.

42. Ignacio, DR

Important Fact:
    World Estimated Population 2009: 6,750 Million People.
    US Stimulus Bill: 789,000 Million Dollars
    Elementary Math: 116.8 Million dollars per world habitant!!!....
    Sugestion: Gave only 1 million US$ to each one of all world habitants and crisis solved. You will only spent 6,750 Million dollars with a saving of 782,250 million dollars.

February 11, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  43. Kelly from Palm Springs

Yes, why do the CEO's still have their jobs. Please, please explain.

February 11, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  44. franky

we should get a hole new set of senators most of them are old , with old thoughts.
    i still think we should have got Jessie Jackson jr. cause all of those senators still think like the past, we need people that have fresh and new bright ideas.
    we are moving into a new era.

February 11, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  45. Dave - NH

How many of these jobs are in construction?! How many people who have lost their jobs are in construction? If you're a software engineer or in retail and you lose your job, are you now supposed to do road work? There seems to be a real disconnect here between the jobs that have been lost and the jobs that are being created by the bill.

February 11, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  46. Emma

Finally! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the octuplet mom is trying to turn into Angelina Jolie. I guess she failed to realize that Angelina actually has a job so she can support her kids without assistance from her parents and the government. I feel so bad for her parents.....these poor people are victims of their daughter's reckless and selfish behavior.

February 11, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  47. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Rikki...Maybe Congress is having a sleepover with scary movies, popcorn, and pillow fights? I would watch truth or dare Congress style. "I dare you to filibuster the minority leader on bill number 7542456...."

Gergen, as a student, I admit that I am a little upset about the funding being withdrawn from education – as well as watershed rehabilitation and other enviromental factors. My generation is going to have to fix all this. Yet, I understand that spending money on these things won't stimulate the economy short-term. I just wish that Congress would look at the big picture more.

February 11, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  48. Lisa

Oh my God, she does look like Angelina Jolie, but only as a relative. She is trying to be her. I can't believe this. Also, she has no money, but look at her French manicured fingernails.

February 11, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  49. jeffry kuperus

Hi Anderson,
    Did I hear you say that the mum of the 8 babies is being compared with Angelina Jolie? Come on she has the mouth of "The Joker" and that may even be an insult to "The Joker"

Rgds

Jeffry

February 11, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  50. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Obama has backed off on a lot of things he has said and he will continue to do so.

February 11, 2009 at 10:13 pm |