February 11th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/11/09

Want to share your thoughts on the stories we're covering tonight? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She'll filling in for Erica tonight. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Cessy, Chicago

Anderson–I'm with you. The kid who went to the dentist, screaming? Yeah, That's how I feel MOST of the time at work. I run a Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Unit as a Therapist ( 3y-17y)...and we say...HALDOL?????

Goodnight. See you tomorrow!

February 11, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  2. John - Orlando, FL

All those huge charts they present in congress with figures and to who? Terrible the chairs are so empty on such an important issue, where the heck is my representative?

February 11, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  3. Pam W (Tampa,FLorida)

To David ...IE engineering job
    It may depend on the state you live in. In Florida we can collect unemployment and get severance. I am taking advantage of both after getting a pink slip. So much for 15 years of service.

BTW.... I don;t trust the 2nd guy in the CEO pic. He signed my pink slip!!!

February 11, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  4. Clarence Albuquerque

The video of the kid... who visited the dentist....thuffering folth lothth...thoo thuave....

February 11, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  5. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Boy, J. Crew must be enjoying the continued publicity from the first lady. She started talking about J. Crew during the inauguration.

Good night bloggers and 360! Have a wonderful Thursday.

February 11, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  6. Mark Rowley

PLease America don't loose your dignity as easily as it was lost by some of your C.E,O's because if you loose that invariably you will loose your soul .good luck,hope it turns out well for all of us

February 11, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  7. Jennifer - Michigan

That little boy is so cute – very funny!! We have all felt like that from time to time for sure. More so lately however...
    Cute skit –

February 11, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  8. Emma

Oh, I love that kid! I think he was still high from receiving laughing gas at the dentist.

February 11, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  9. Larry

G'nite all:) Another evening some really provocative questions and comments.

February 11, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  10. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Michelle Obama is a class act. Goodnight everyone "inclusive". Get well Jack Gray! Anderson needs his dog washed! lol Really, well wishes to you!
    (if u r really sick 😉 )

February 11, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  11. Nancy

Is Suze implying that's what we should do if our house value has fallen (stop paying the mortgage, then have someone buy the house for us at the current reduced value)? She didn't answer the question, but it sounded like that's what she was recommending. Nice.

Also, Randy Kaye nicely dodged the question about whether OctoMom had plastic surgery to look like Jolie. Helloooo, we know she denied it! All you had to do was show the photos of her from a few years ago where she looked like a normal, beautiful young lady. She now looks like a freak.

February 11, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  12. Mari

I think we should be careful not to accuse all 8 banks that appeared before Congress today. I think that unlike BofA and Citibank,
    JPMorgan actually seems to have worked hard to run a good business, avoid huge mortgage securities losses, and they have not spent foolishly on corporate jets, Superbowl marketing events, Vegas junkets or the like.

I think people could learn a few things from the way Jamie Dimon runs JPMorgan Chase.

February 11, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  13. Hillary B.

I love Michelle's clothing in Vogue.

February 11, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  14. Vanessa, TX

YAY RANDI!! We all appreciate your hard work...;) I'm a big fan!

February 11, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  15. Antoinette - NY

Hi Anderson. Looking great! Thanks for a great show. Why won't the banks re-set mortgages to reasonable rates for homeowners in foreclosure??? And to Suze's point, why won't the banks do the same with credit card debt? It seems to me to be a win-win situation: the homeowner retains their home & credit and the banks get paid back. Why is this so difficult for the "executives" to see? My guess is they just want to keep bleeding the consumers for their own greed.

Looking forward to the money summit on the 17th.

February 11, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  16. Michelle

I am with Michelle Obama, clothes should be fun.

February 11, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  17. Bridget, TX

Randi, great story on Michelle.

February 11, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  18. Esma

You, go, Randi!

February 11, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  19. Jan

Suze O hit the nail on the head with these greedy credit card companys. I have two credit cards with Bank of America with with no balance and one with a balance. I have not missed a payment or been late and they just keep raising my rate. I called to complain and talked to a very rude person who said too bad and closed my zero balance card and lowered the rate to 20% on the other and said if I use the card for anything the rate will go right back up to 28%. So now I have no credit card!

February 11, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  20. Jane

What happened to the closed captioning when Suze Orman's segment was aired? We hard-of-hearing people really want to know what is being shared, even though she does talk very fast. I am disappointed.

February 11, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  21. Lori Dawn

The before and after pictures of Octuplet Mom have been displayed on the Chelsea Handler Show, showing full well she has had plastic surgery... I am a single mom of two children and sure would like to know how she affords surgery and invitro?

February 11, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  22. Minou, New York City

That yellow/gold JCrew "ensemble" looks hideous in real life. I don't know how they made it look passable on TV.

February 11, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  23. Fay - California

Michelle Obama looks fantastic in the Vogue photos.

February 11, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  24. Linda

Did David Gergen Blog, I missed it I have to go back and find out what he said

February 11, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  25. vincent

I originally did not know what to think about Michelle Obama, however, since i have seen and heard her many times now, i have found i really like her and her style! (and i love the she and her husband show open affection for each other.)

February 11, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  26. Mike

citi bank agreed not to forclose on people for 2008- 2009.. so why are they selling off mortgages to other banks that will foreclose, accounts that technically should be in forclosure are being sold to other banks???

February 11, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  27. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

For those who ask 'should I cash out some retirement invesment to pay off debt,' consider the emotional and physical aspects of having that debt hanging around your neck.

If you have enough debt that you are asking these questions then that debt is probably taking a physical toll on you, ultimately shortening your life span.

February 11, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  28. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

That black form fitting dress is not complimentary to her figure "type."

February 11, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  29. Harry

Does the stimulus plan include relief for those who wish to withdraw $'s from their SEP IRAs?

February 11, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  30. Vanessa, TX

Mrs Obama is such a style icon..we haven't seen such style since Mrs Kennedy I LOVE IT 🙂

February 11, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  31. Sarah

I am more than outraged at the octuplet mother. How dare she bring these children into the world and expect US to pay for them. I am a mother of three, including twins. I know first hand how much medical care and daily living can cost for these types of pregnancies. I WORK to support my children. It seems she assumed from conception that book deals, tv interviews, and donated supplies, etc.... would support her and her children. She should be embarassed and ashamed. I feel very sad for her children.

February 11, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  32. Nyresa

Do we really have to hear more about the octuplet mom? To start with, who exactly does she think is doing to donate to her in an economic environment like this? More importantly, maybe if the media stopped covering her story and granting her interviews, she wouldn't be able to shamelessly try and grab people's money...

February 11, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  33. Dale

I'm buying a house soon- after the stimulus is enacted. The tax credit for buying a home is still in play but I hear is reduced from $15,000.

My federal tax obligation is no way near $15,000 so.... can I claim more exemptions on my W-2 to increase my take home so that I would owe more tax but still under the $15,000 or whatever level is goes down to. I'd like to maximize the tax credit.

I'm not a 1st time homebuyer as I sold a home a year ago and relocated to another state.

February 11, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  34. Cessy, Chicago

Anderson, you are hilarious! ...Jack completely doped up? HA!

I enjoy seeing Randi on your show-she's great.

Have a wonderful night and be safe!

February 11, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I love Vogue mazigine of Michelle Obama!!! she is so pretty!

February 11, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  36. vanessa from silver spring, MD

That 8yr old boy who came home from the dentist is a hilarious video. I've watched it on YouTube like 20 times already.

"I have 2 fingers"

"I feel funny."

"Why is this happening to me?"lol

February 11, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  37. Clarence Albuquerque

Michelle O, Oh the fun of it all...What's the Secret? Victory, a secret miss shall grow into. strike a pose.

February 11, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  38. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

First lady in Vogue magazine ... wonderful!

February 11, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  39. debbie

Hi There,

My questionis this: I like many others have loss money in the stock market. I made the decision to decrease my contribution signicantly,but keep the money that I have left in my 403-B. Is this wise?

Thanks

February 11, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  40. George

Suze–what do you think about refinancing a house mortage in order to replace poor single pane glass with energy efficient ones, redoing a old bathroom with a modern one (nothing fancy, just middle of the road quality), band other needed repairs. Thanks for any advise you can offer–love to watch you.

February 11, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  41. Jane

I dont consider myself a feminist, but there is something wrong with that CEO picture, not a single woman there?

February 11, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  42. Miranda

Team.

Blogger's.

Anderson.

Everyone have a great night and show tomorrow:)

Miranda

February 11, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  43. Maritza Stanchich

Will you stop demonizing the mother of 14 children? Who cares if she's on the dole or not when we have banking CEOs stealing a kazillion dollars from taxpayers with impunity! Please drop the welfare queen cliché...we have bigger fish to fry now.

February 11, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  44. Vanessa

Hi,
    I have a question for Susi. What about jan ballon mortgages? Any solution? We have been trying to refinance since last summer, but the mortgage company keep saying there is anything better out there for us. My husband was expecting a big pay rise which did not arrived and now we are going deep in dept to pay for the house. We have 10 months left before we finish the home equity line of credit. I bought Susi's book, and we have been following all her precious advices. We are moving our daughters to a public school, we are cutting any extra expence, I'm looking for a job. Still I do not see a light at the end of the tunnel yet.
    Any suggestion?

February 11, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  45. Debra

After 35 yrs. of payiing every bill we have ever had our small develpment co. is out and we have 3 properties we cannot sell after trying every option ex. auction, leasing and now the bank is taking 2 of them into foreclosure because we cannot pay the interest payment on them. American Express cut off the business line and now we cannot pay other bills. We have used up all resources we have and are about to probably lose our home because jobs cannot be found. When will the people that did not cause the problem get some help . We stand to lose everything. It is sad when we have worked so hard all of our lives and end up like this. We carry our own health insurance which will most likely go if we do not get help.

February 11, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  46. Don, WA

If Nanya Suleman's sperm donar looks anything like Brad Pitt – she'll never hear the end of this.

February 11, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  47. Glen Up North

I echo ChrisS's comments: PLEASE stop covering the Octo-Mom!

February 11, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  48. Carrie Bradshaw, Upper East Side

Vogue Magazine????? Now you are speaking my language.

As a completel fashionista, I must say I cannot wait to get my hands on the new Vogue featuring Michelle Obama. My guess is that Jacqueline Kennedy was the other first lady featured. (I should know this, but I am not completely sure.) Both very classy ladies.

Anderson, I hesitate to mention this, but since we are discussing fashion, etc – I have to say that your haircut us quite flattering and I love your shirt. Sorry, could not resist, must give credit where credit is due.

February 11, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  49. Gregg Horvath

I am an apartment broker in Orange County, CA. On bank owned fourplexes, banks are wasting an average of $50,000 per fourplex and I want to know why.

1. First they evict all 4 tenants with rents of $1,300 each and give them each approx. $500-$800 to move. They usually take 60 days to move.

2. They then sell a vacant trashed fourplex worth 5-10% less since it is vacant and a buyer has to clean it up and find 4 temamts. It will take 30-60 days to sell and then 45 day escrow.

3. The bank is wasting approx 5 month's of non paying tenants living in the building, and at a value of approx $600,000......they waste over $50,000 for EACH building that is foreclosued on.

My big question is why is there not a law that banks have to let tenants stay in the building, then they would make more money....times this by hundreds of buildings in CA foreclosed on.

Thanks,

Gregg

February 11, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  50. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Rikki – Thanks. I can't believe it made it on the air. What's sad is that I attend a public state school and will be transferring to a private school in a couple years. Journalism seems to be a career where it matters where you graduated from, unfortunately. I will need my own debt clock!

February 11, 2009 at 10:50 pm |