February 11th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/11/09

Want to share your thoughts on the stories we're covering tonight? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She'll filling in for Erica tonight. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. franky

Glen , how are the millions of people that lost every thing , get a loan again ? the banks are just going to show them away or give them a HIGH APR which they cannot afford!!!!!!!!

2. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Watching these congress-people rip into the CEO's is awesome! We need to make sure that we know where this money is going and what they are doing with it!

3. Dave

Woo-hoo! An $800.00 check. I'm going to be living high on the hog now... *cough!* If my problems could be solved with $800, I wouldn't have any problems.

4. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    You're right....... they don't get it to help people had lose their money..... that is so awful I hear!!!!!!! I am against bailout.

5. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Hi Anderson, I don't understand how Congress can vote on a bill that is incomplete. There are no specifics in Geithner's plan.

6. Mike, Syracuse NY

@Glen Up North. Good question. Banks were making politically correct vs. fiscally correct loans. I bet the Congress tries to force them to do it again. They need to tighten the loan criteria.

7. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Hello and good evening Anderson, Erica, Randi, Megan, Rikki, Vanessa, EJ, Chris , Brandi, Mike, Debbie, Lori Ann, et All! OMG! We are Family!

8. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Debbie, what other choices do we have? The economy won't restart itself unless people spend money...and no one has any money to spend, nor the confidence to spend it. So the government has to. I have no problem as long as they hold the corporations and banks accountable. And it seems from the clips that Congress is getting a start on that....thankfully.

Sorry Glen, I forgot you in my welcoming! Sincere apologies!

9. Jennifer - Michigan

Good evening David. Look forward to hearing your thoughts as well.

10. Dulcie - Denver

Man, the Repubs *really* don't like the average taxpayer, do they? Trimmed tax cuts for individuals and families. I find their contempt for the little guy pretty appalling.

At least the plan is moving along, I guess.

11. Chester

Hey Anderson im a viewer i would like to say that President Obama has has dont a terrific job better job then the last president. Ur current president isn't lazy!

12. Glen Up North

Debbie: so if spending money is a gamble, what would you term "not doing anything and seeing how things come out"? I'd call that an even bigger gamble.

13. Cessy, Chicago

Mr. Ackerman! yeay!

14. Clarence Albuquerque

The banking executives earned just short of 191 million and they are nor loaning it to the average citizen.... citizen with financial struggles that only they know of.

15. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Hey all. I wish I was at Ford's Theater tonight with the and First Lady. Did anyone see the banks in congress today? Maxine Waters was so mad she had to be told to calm down. lol

16. Saad, NJ

It's a mess President Obama has inherited... a big mess... but we, Americans deserve it. We elected President Bush for the 2nd term after knowing and President Bush admitting himself and showing us in all possible ways he was incapable of anything good and very capable of everything bad!!!

February 11, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  17. James Liberal, KS

Is there any check being directly given to the American people? I heard about tax rebates but don't know the details.

February 11, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  18. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Hello bloggers! Well, it was nice to hear that some of the "rich" bankers at least are taking a cut in salary or no bonuses....

February 11, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  19. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Anderson and David,
    Many questions in my head today ...
    I hope the show help me!

February 11, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  20. Ken in NC

Anderson and all Bloggers did you guys realize that the President & CEO of Goldman Sachs, Jon Winkelried, has an annual income of $600,000 but an annual bonus of $70,900,000.00. That is more than 118 times his annual salary. I think I may have found one of the reasons Goldman Sachs is needing a taxpayer bailout. Here is a company that is paying a total compensation to it’s top 5 Execs. of almost $322,000,000.00. YA THINK?

February 11, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  21. Vanessa, TX

Good evening Anderson, Randi, AC360 crew...and all my fellow smart bloggers....I'm soo excited cuz, Suzy Orman is here! I can't wait for her advice. I read her book...really good advice!

February 11, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  22. Pam W (Tampa,FLorida)

Can someone point me to the place on the internet that will provide us with the training so we can get one of those infrastructure jobs?

February 11, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  23. Stacy

So what are economists saying about the deal? Where's that side of the analysis?

February 11, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  24. Bridget, TX

Hi Anderson, CNN team and fellow bloggers:)

February 11, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  25. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Anderson
    Sleepless in Germany again.Every day bad news produc nightmare! i realize that we really have big economyc problems and it will take a long time to change it. But Anderson stay close at the truth,because people trust you.Good night from far away in Germany

February 11, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  26. Debbie, Appleton Maine

I see they all got the memo about the dark suits

February 11, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  27. Mike, Syracuse NY

This mortgage mess is BECAUSE of Barney Frank. He has a nerve to say there needs to be more money. He forced mortgage companies to make loans to low income families that didn't have the credit to qualify.

February 11, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  28. David Gergen

Hello everyone - will look forward to your responses to the compromise that emerged today on the stimulus and is heading for final passage... and what you think of the troubles that Treasury Sec Geithner is facing on the financial bailouts. D

February 11, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  29. Glen Up North

Franky, I must admit, that is a sobering thought. Are banks just going to proceed on their previous criteria when giving out loans to people on whom they've already placed an irrevocable burden of bad debt?

February 11, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  30. Clarence Albuquerque

A victory.. even without a lot of detail.... meat on the bones.... and yet 50 billion is a drop in the bucket.

February 11, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  31. Fay - California

How can they possibly 'compromise' on education?

February 11, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

LOL!!!! You're s so funny man!!! Glen!!!!

February 11, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  33. Cessy, Chicago

Good evening, Anderson- How are you?
    I'm happy to hear that Ms. Suze is going to be your guest tonight. I look foward to another interesting show. Talk later.

February 11, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  34. Mike, Syracuse NY

How is this a 'compromise' on education. This is all gravy for education. There already is an education budget in the basic budget. This isn't a cut, it's a massive infusion of cash.

February 11, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  35. Debbie, Appleton Maine

The jury's still out on FDR's New Deal, even after all these years. So spending this money just feels like a HUGE gamble to me

February 11, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  36. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Good evening, Anderson, Randi, David G., and bloggers (including Megan, EJ, Bea, Ashley, Glenn, Mike, Rikki, Jacqui, and... I give up)! Hope everyone's having a great night so far.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm thrilled a decision was finally reached on the recovery plan. While the plan is not exactly what I wanted it to be, time was ticking.

February 11, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  37. Carrie Bradshaw, Upper East Side

Good Evening Anderson and all bloggers!

How shocked is everyone at the bailout agreement? The republicans gave in, and apparently are not terribly happy still. Wonder where we go from here?

February 11, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  38. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Congress pulling an all-nighter? Wow! I don't envy them any!

February 11, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  39. Esma

Hey everyone! Well, what a massive tally, $789 billion, at least some of it is going to education...oh, I'm sorry, "pork".

February 11, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  40. Saad, NJ

Hey guys... hope all is well.

February 11, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  41. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Happy Wednesday Cooper, Hill (in spirit), Kaye, Gergen, correspondents, contributers, staff, crew, and team!

Also a good evening to all bloggers, including Rikki, Megan, Chris, EJ, Brandi....and all new comers!

I hope everyone has good weather, even though the economy is freezing us all out. It's downpouring here! I am going to need a life raft soon.

February 11, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  42. franky

PLEASE ANDERSON I NEED A ANSWER TO THIS!!!!!!

I have a question, If the government bail out the banks, by buying all the "toxic/bad" debts.Which means it will give the banks more money to lend.

but how are the banks going to lend money to people like me and millions others that have been LAYED OFF and been foreclosed and reposesed and were unable to pay back my credit cards, and got a bad credit score.
    it does not solve the problem then i guess, Which means we (all foreclosed) will not be able to get a home loan again , or be able to move into a apartment due to our credit score.

but we were paying taxes all these years to the government to bail out the banks ,but they won't help us again.

February 11, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Mike, Syracuse NY

Hi Anderson. So the Dems fought the tax cuts, but now that they're in there, Reid is saying how great it is. What's up with that?

February 11, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good Evening Anderson, Randi, Megan, Ashley, EJ, CaseyJ, Brandi and all my fellow bloggers! Hope everyone had a great day!

February 11, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  45. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Hi Anderson,
    Evening for you! Nice to meet you.

Anderson,
    You always look good.

February 11, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Glen Up North

Evening, Anderson, Erica, Randi, David, Megan, ChrisS, CaseyJ, Ashley, Mike, Vanessa's, Jo Ann... wow, I'm losing track! (laughs)

February 11, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo Anderson, Randi, Erica (spirit), David Gergen, David in IN, Brandi, Michelle D, Rikki, Ashley, Chris S, Pati, Glen, BettyAnn, Helen in UK and best bloggers!!!!!
    Happy Wednesday!!!!!
    Yay!!!! Suze is here tonight!!!! she will answer for you!!!!
    That is good news for everyone!!!! They (house and Senators) agree $789 billions!!!

February 11, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Jacqueline, NY

Greetings All!
    Hi, Anderson!

February 11, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  49. Jennifer - Michigan

Hi Anderson, Glad to be with you tonight. Looking forward to a good show.

February 11, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  50. Ken in NC

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Randi and all Bloggers around the world. There was a good comedy show on CNN today coming from the Bank CEO’s in a Congressional Hearing.

February 11, 2009 at 10:00 pm |