February 9th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/9/09

Want to share your thoughts on Pres. Obama's pitch tonight for the stimulus bill? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. JOHN WARD

Thank God that we elected President Obama who grasps the need to put people back to work. Republican members of the House and the Senate have failed to grasp the severity of th economic problems. They are so determined to find fault that they fail to grasp the opportunity to work constructively for the common good.

If Senator McCain had been elected he would still be saying that the economy is fundementally sound. His proposal would be less than 50% of the current proposal. HIs plan would surely fall far short of what is needed to restart the economy.

Putting people back to work is not only beneficial to our fellow Americans who are unemployed or underemployed it is also necessary to restore confidence in our economy which effects all of us.

February 9, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  2. vincent

Hello to everyone.

The press conference this evening i thought was helpful...Pres. Obama made use of some of the examples of rep's objections and clarified them, his answers for the most part were very clear and he seemed to make a reasonable case for the stim package.

I am anxious to see what the Sec. Treas. will have to say tomorrow, as credit and the housing situation needs immediate and direct attention.

Great panel discussion as always. Questioin for the panel: will the house dem's compromise and how will that happen?

February 9, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  3. william nichols

I agree with the President's efforts to create jobs. Picking Elkhard, the RV capitol of the world to showcase his ideas seems odd. I hope the RV goes on the endangered species list soon. We need to change those folks over to a hybrid capitol.

4. Bea

Cutting education for kiddies and making it look like the Republicans made them do it may be a brilliant move in the end. When a nonstimulous ed. funding bill comes up, the republicans may find themselves in a tough spot given the communities from which some come.

5. Leslie

I do not believe $800 + billion will help at all – it is absolutely terrifying to even consider. I am really hoping the spending bill does not pass. Do hope to see something to provide work for so many people. Very tough for so many – but more debt (a staggering debt) sure doesn't sound like a bright idea ....

6. Stephanie -Morrisville, NC

7. Jana, Indiana

Matt-good point and throw Biden and H. Clinton into that mix as well.

8. Dianne

Can you believe it? A President who can actually answer questions? What's the world coming to? The next thing you know is Republicans might shut up and get out of the way!

9. Deena

The numbers being floated around are so high. When I speak to others about these numbers they share that they are staggering and yet, there is nothing to really compare them to unless you manage a Major Pension Fund ... it is why Obama made points when he shared what this actually meant with tax credits to students ... he brought it back to what people, most people, understand. However, these numbers are so large, that it would be nice to have comparisons to it so that it is not an absolute but a relative source of information

10. Glen Up North

CaseyJ: The North American economy is complex and diverse. Giving all the money directly to people would most likely see all the money go towards food, clothing, shelter and debt reduction... only four parts of the tapestry/kaleidoscope of sectors. I see imbalance if all the stimulus money is given directly to the American public.

11. EDDIE

I think the rebulicans is mad because mc cain did not win so they are trieng the best to give the president a hard time.

12. Michelle

It seems to me the Repubs are thinking
    Americans have short term memory loss.
    We know how we got here. Now let's fix
    it already. To a certain extent the GOP is
    sounding insensitive. Repubs are focusing
    on the cost and not the people. Big mistake.

13. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Yes David Gergen, I am happy to see John King reunited with his Magic Wall tonight.

14. Vanessa Hale-WV

8 trillion 10 trillion does that really matter! When it get to trillions....We will never pay it down without stimulating the economy! We need jobs! Maybe I will become a CEO and become a republican. LOL

15. Miranda

Anderson-

Mr. Begala- revisionist history making chutzpah indeed!

Miranda

16. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

Evening AC, Erica, 360 staff and bloggers.

So does anyone else think we are between a rock and a hard place???

I don't think the bailout is the answer and am concerned about the deficit but I think we have to do something to get people back to work.

February 9, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  17. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Republicans need to stop being uncooperative. It makes them look really bad.

February 9, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  18. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Goodevening, Mr. Gergen

Thanks for your analysis and for joining us!

February 9, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  19. Simone

So nice to see Randi Kaye! She's like a breath of fresh air on the show.

February 9, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  20. ashley - willis, tx

@ sharon-where you live the GOP may not have a lot of supporters, but where i live that's the only party that i know that has support. I myself am a proud 25 year old republican and I care what MY party thinks and says, so thank you Anderson Cooper for caring!

February 9, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  21. Yolanda

Good evening Anderson Cooper. President Obama has taken his economio agenda to the American people. Good for him. I hope the American public realize the problems we are facing because of previous Administration lack of responsibility and disregard for the average American.

22. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Fred...I honestly never noticed that. I must have become too accustomed to typing while I listen. What is the AC360 blog doing to me!? Haha

I doesn't bother me, though. I think he enjoys making two-way eye contact. At least he doesn't slouch over his podium.

I know I say this a lot, but I'm digging the shirt and tie for Coop tonight. I like the crispness of the white dress shirt. Since he's standing up, at least we know he's wearing pants.

23. Johnson, Deborah

10 months ago my house had value and I pay my bills on time
    2 months ago my house is worth $85,000.00 less
    3 months ago my job was secure
    2 weeks ago it became in jeopardy and I still pay my bills on time

I cannot refinance my home, I owe more then it's worth
    I cannot get a loan to help get us through these times because no one is lending

If there is no lending, no useful value in my home, no employment for me and I take care of my mother who's 88 and only has social security

In the last 3 monthsI have become in deep trouble like most Americans.

PASS THE BILL.

24. Stephanie -Morrisville, NC

The President was direct and to the point tonight. He is engaged with the thoughts and feelings of the people on mainstreet.

25. Glen Up North

Mike Gilmore... I'm confused. Bush and the Republicans were in power. Why are Obama and the Democrats getting the blame for the Fanny Mae/Mac situation? Either way, who lobbied either person/party to go ahead with this? Ta-da... Wall Street.

26. Chris

How is spending billions of dollars on political re-payments (for votes) going to solve anything? Don't people realize the same people proposing these packages are the same ones who got this country into this mess? Who do you think enabled lending to people that couldn't afford mortgages? The same people who said it would be great for every American to own a house (whether they could afford it or not) – the federal government!

I agree that government is necessary and has its place, but larger government only means greater government control and less freedom for the rest of us. Just wait until the common man is taxed into poverty.... If that is what you want, get on a boat and move to Cuba.

27. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

@Fred – I was just noticing (again) the different camera setup for President Obama versus other public officials. By not looking straight on, the camera is actually able to frame him in a more authoritative way, along with acknowledging the conversation he is having with the audience in the room. They've actually filmed President Obama in this way since before he was elected.

28. Stacy

Yes, Obama is going to run up the debt, but we're coming on a Depression here. These are extraordinary times. I'd rather run up the debt to save our economy than throw money in the black hole of Iraq, which is what the Republicans did.

29. Vanessa, TX

HELLO MR GERGEN....aww its so good to hear from you....;)

30. Esma

@Ashley-Hamlin, NY: LOL, I was hoping for Care Bear names, but I like your idea better!!! 😉

31. Mary

Lastly, probably anti-stimulus, if we pull out of the the war in Iraq and substitute a war in Afganastan won't we still be spending trillions of dollars in fighting war, but only in another country? I thought the war was one of the catlyst that helped propelled us into this economic black hole, the war deficit the last administration left to us. Will another follow in its footsteps?

32. Don, WA

President Obama seems to know when it's time to be nice (bi-partisan)...until it's not time to be nice (partisan). Whatever works...

33. Greg, Austin Tx

Not to be a harbinger of doom and gloom but the tenants of effective risk management demand that all possible negative outcomes at least be considered and ideally planned for. Meaning I'm sure they've got a contingency plan just in case nothing works and we're left with nothing but an 11 figure debt. I'm like Obama though so I'm optimistic that things will work out but just in case they don't it's good to know that somebody has at least accounted for that rather grim possibility.

February 9, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  34. Karen C

I would love to know just how people think we will get out of this without ANY stimulus? OMG, I'm getting so depressed again 🙁

February 9, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  35. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Oh Obama, you shouldn't let the pundits get to you. I think if he just watched a little less news, and just did what he needed to do, the prez would be doing fine with everything. There wouldn't be such an argument about this plan.

February 9, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  36. Jeffrey Wright

Anderson, I know you have great political minds on your show and at CNN period, but why is no one asking the question, "why are we looking at an over-night solution to a problem that was created by an administration that held office for 8 years?"

Why are we "judging" a President that hasn't even been in office for a month in regards to his "fixing" of the problems handed to him by the Bush administration?

There isn't an over-night solution.

Ridiculous.

JW

February 9, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  37. Bridget, TX

Fred, I haven't noticed but I think he's interested in making eye contact with the audience.

February 9, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  38. Mike, Syracuse NY

Obama has put on a good bipartisan show, but the bill the House passed included very little of the ideas that were passed to Obama. If he asks for input then lets Pelosi ignore them, how is that bipartisan?

February 9, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  39. Jeff-->(D) Illinois

We are in for a world of hurt people and things have to change.

February 9, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  40. matt

Obama said he inherited the economic problem . did he forget he was a Senator. is he not part of the problem? where does the buck stop with Obama?

February 9, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  41. Fay - California

If President Obama had NOT made any attempts to be bipartisan, the Republicans would've gotten on his case for that–why is Alex Castellanos casting doubt about the sincerity of his efforts?

February 9, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  42. Abayomi, Florida

PORK, PORK, PORK...THE EXCUSE.

Where is it? The President Mentioned that None was Included, yet this same Redric of what will cause there to be SIX (6) Republicans in the Senate by the next Election, if they keep using this same tones, that aren't true.

Mr. Alex is on wishful thinking. When the PRESIDENT of the United States started the process of saying hello, and you are talking about using 'taliban tactics' to derail him...COME ON.

GO U.S.A. – GO PRESIDENT OBAMA

February 9, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  43. Bea

Ed Rollins is in fantasy land. Ronald Reagan was among the most divisive presidents we've ever had. His division was between the haves and have nots.

February 9, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  44. Bridget, TX

@Brian, the difference here is that people are suffering, this isn't a joke or people crying wolf. I talked to a friend today, who makes 70,000 a yr, in the last three months her brother and his wife, and two of her sisters have had to move in with her because they can't find jobs. Her sis is trying to hold on to her business until things get back on track. My friend learned that her job is closing in May, so urgency is paramount for so many people. Their our people who could care less about the gops political standing come the next election.

February 9, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  45. Erica Svenneby

Tonight the president has brought tears to my eyes once again. This time when he mentioned struggling single moms, which I am. I'm also a self-employed Realtor & Loan Officer with previous experience in Banking.
    My credit cards are maxed out, I have no health insurance and I work 5 times harder for 5 times less. I cant get a good paying job, I cant get unemployment benefits and I cant afford to have a nervous breakdown. I have clients looking to me for answers and I have said over & over, lets wait and see what kinds of programs the government comes up with.
    All I can do is wait & hope!!

February 9, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  46. Michelle

I agree with Jamal Simmons.

February 9, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  47. Mable

President Obama expressed himself exceptionally well. He was able to connect with all levels of people across this country. He used researched-based data to make his points and was able to outline possible solutions to his proposed plan in relation to the data that he was using.

President Obama is right! The republicans are just playing politics with our lives and our future. We don't have time to play games; We must move forward.

February 9, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  48. David Gergen

Hello everyone - thanks for joining again tonight. Fascinating to read your comments tonight and to hear how many of you welcomed Obama as intelligent, clear, logical and civil. Very interesting - along with your views on the substance. And yes, welcoming John King back to the magic board. Thanks again.

February 9, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  49. Ratna, New York, NY

Hi Anderson, Randi, David Gergen et al!

I hope Obama also has change in mind in single payer's health insurance policy. Speaking of change, do you think that Medicare & Medicaid should should focus on out patient care since the hospitals are closing down and institutionalized in-patient hospice care also becomes scars?

ANybody!

February 9, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  50. Emily Bates

We don't need to create four million jobs, we need to bring them home. Most of our products are made in other countries, products that could be made here.

Why don't we either require that 51% of products be made here or have a Super Tax on companies that are sending our jobs offshore.

February 9, 2009 at 10:37 pm |