February 9th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/9/09

Want to share your thoughts on Pres. Obama's pitch tonight for the stimulus bill? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Rikki, Fargo, ND

A stimulus bill is going to be a spending bill...that is how you stimulate an economy. You have to spend money to get an economy going.

John King...President Obama is following you, but I'm sure it is because he thinks you are a genius who knows the best places to go!

Ashley, I'm glad to hear that your interview went well!

February 9, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  2. Wendy NYC

President Obama and my fellow Democrats must include the elimination of income tax on unemployment benefits in any stimulus package. The Republicans seem to support this. Taxing unemployment benefits was supposed to be a disincentive to becoming unemployed. This is faulty logic, as no one who actively contributes to the loss of a job is eligible for benefits. Do not put the unemployed in a position to have to contribute to the benefits given to banks and businesses. Unemployment benefits are not a living wage, and appropriating a portion for taxes is ill-conceived and punitive. Thanks for

February 9, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  3. Clarence Albuquerque

I loved the life preserver reference... glug glug glug.

February 9, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  4. Sue

Was President Obama wearing earphones?.....it appeared that he had a shiny line in the curvature of each ear that i havent noticed before......

February 9, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  5. tom theobold

Hi again: Another thought. Notice how he mentioned Maine–just happens to be the state of two Republican Senators-who voted for his package? Trying to tell their constituents-call and say thanks??

February 9, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  6. jarrod

If this package is passed to quickly and fails who are you going to blame AS of right my family of 5 i have traded things we don't for livestock the system has failed us because of my 100,000 a/year income went down the drain our saving is drying up and we have downsized our home but got more land no work since october and have filled out apps tirelessly but work to quickly and our country is broke

February 9, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  7. Joel from Kingston MA

I am a business owner but i do not do wind solar or study the arctic from global warming. I am a builder this is what i know. where is it in the billions of dollars being given to big business is this going to help the average (white,black,or any other group construction worker) make a living because we all know that the only companies that benefit from these packages will be major companies already in business with political connections.

February 9, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  8. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

@John King: I like how you are traveling around America! When are you going to come to Michigan? Your show on Sunday was exceptionally good (so was Fareed's). Keep up the good work!

February 9, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  9. Stacy

I agree with Paul. Obama has done nothing but reach out and the Republicans keep rebuffing him. And the public sees it.

February 9, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  10. Glen Up North

CaseyJ: I can understand how a good portion of "direct" consumer stimulus would ensure that people fulfill immediate needs with this money... but would this mean that all areas of the economy would be covered? The arts (especially the recording arts) are a major part of the economy, but would not considered a basic need to people who need to put food on the table and clothes on their family. This is but one example. Not everyone is employed in harvesting or packaging food. That's where "direct" consumer stimulus, as I see it, would be very tricky: we'd be placing the survival of every sector of the economy in the hands of the American public, who will most likely go for their most important needs first: food, lodging, and clothing.

February 9, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  11. henry sandoval

President Obamas speech was awsome, My wife has a beauty shop 15 employees, and the girls are all having a rough time and they are all hoping the stemulus bill goes thru. And I hope the american people get the jobs before the mexican workers that are here. Employers, usually hire mexican workers because they can pay them less wages, but this is our country. hire american first, and fine the emplyers who hire ilegals.

February 9, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  12. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Republicans are making asses out of themselves.

February 9, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  13. Terry

To quote Lori:

"I thought President Obama did a good job tonight. I like the fact that he’s traveling the country, listening to “main street” and breaking out of “the bubble.”"

I agree, as long as he continues to "hear" us, the hurting, the struggling, the jobless...the hope lives. The Repubs will continue to play their games...unfortunately, they need to get off the political wagon of what they want four years from now, and get into the here and now...and help to repair this country their party wholehandedly broke.

February 9, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  14. Rolf

I don't see anything in this package that's going to get people working tomorrow, next week, next month or in 6 months. We need immediate stimulus to turn this economy NOW! Guarantee low prices at the pump will help EVERY american NOW and will ramp up the auto industry TOMORROW. Saving $20 on my paycheck in taxes in JUNE is not going to stimulate my spending anytime soon.

February 9, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  15. Fay - California

President Obama has extended his hand to the Republicans, but if they aren't willing to get on board and work with him, he should move on–he's got the backing of a lot of the public without their help.

February 9, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  16. marilyn hawes

The Congressional Republicans are just like Limbaugh; theywant to the president to fail. They care more about "politics" than about the well-being of our nation. They will do anything to make Obama look bad.. President Obama should not cave in to all of their demands. Taking funds away from education and health care, especially for the unemployed, , and providing a $15,000 tax credit for buying a new home is absolutely outrageous. Obama needs to be more agressive and the media needs to stop their sensationalistic reporting.

February 9, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  17. Cynthia

In re the comment just after the press conference on CNN, that republicans were lining up against the democrats in order to set themselves up for the mid-term elections, what does this mean? Does this mean they are OK with things getting yet worse? Don't they believe that most of us have reached our limit? Many of us are just on the brink, although we haven't lost our jobs yet. I want to understand just what the opposing Republicans think we should be doing. Or is it just about regaining power? I wish they'd stop being so vague about "pork" and "spending" . I'd rather it be spent on us than missles or somebody's one million dollar office remodel.

February 9, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  18. Esma

Why is education pork? I always though of mine as broccoli.

February 9, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  19. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Jo Anne – I would assume it wasn't coincidental. While an attempt was probably made to be balanced to an extent, it was of great note that he chose to field a question by a reporter from The Huffington Post, a blog which is actually not a major news outlet.

February 9, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  20. Fred - Washington PA

Does anyone notice (or care) that Obama NEVER looks at the camera? I know the teleprompters are on the sides, but I'm curious why he never makes eye contact with the TV audience.

February 9, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  21. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

where is Anderson?
    He is so busy right now...... he haven't time join blogging tonight!

February 9, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  22. Miranda

Paul Begala!

Hi Paul Begala 🙂

My night officially rocks!

Miranda

February 9, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  23. Mike k

Stimulus aside... Did anyone sense he was soft on Iran and that he sort of took credit for a successful election in Iraq?

February 9, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  24. Mike, Syracuse NY

@Lyn, Many Presidents have inherited tough situations. FDR had it MUCH worse. Lincoln didn't inherit a bunch of roses either.

February 9, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  25. sharon

Pres. Obama didn't wrong with his reaching out to the Republicans! I'm so tired of it always being phrased as if he was the one that did something wrong. C'mon. The Republicans are so out of touch with real Americans, why can't you blame them for being so intransigent?

February 9, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  26. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Lisa L from Australia

Sorry to hear of the terrible fires. I live in an area where fires destroy many homes and some lives. Happy to hear you are safe

February 9, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  27. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Esme....How about: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H? Personally, I like: Hill, Gergen, King, Toobin, Gray, Kaye, Gupta, and Cooper. 😉

Stacy – My nephew is part of a headstart program. It devastates me that preschool is considered "pork."

February 9, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  28. Alfred Worthy

I am sick and tired of giving so much attention to the republicans. let the Jamal & Roland spea, please.

February 9, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  29. Belinda H

Finally we have a President that makes sense. I think President Obama is smart and hope the stimulus package is past tomorrow. It's amazing to see that President Obama is standing for the people. I like that he is now saying send it to "me" and refer to His policy which means that he will now be looking at these policies before it get to Congress.

February 9, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  30. Debbie from California

My big concern is the credit crunch. they say their are loans for people to refiance, but what I am hearing their are not!! And then their's the credit cards, charging higher interest, dropping down lines of credit. How do they expect families to get ahead they can't refiance, they can't consolidate their credit cards so how will they ever get ahead of the game!!!!! What is anyone going to do about this.

February 9, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  31. Rose from NY

For every economist who supports this bill, you can find an equal number who do not. There is a great deal of room between "doing nothing" and 1 trillion dollars. I do not appreciate the scare tactics.

President Obama surely understands that every President inherits the mess of the one that came before him. If this bill fails, I expect he will blame it on the Republicans. I was hoping this divisive tone would be behind us. A president who campaigned on hope, would be wise not to rule by fear.

I want him to succeed, I want him to be the man he promised us he would be.

February 9, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  32. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

I'm afraid for the collective Euphoria by President Obama, though I wish it to be successful.

As we will be from the year?

And the inheritance of former President Bush, of course, is not income. Were 8 years and cruel, or am I wrong?

February 9, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  33. claire-wichita, ks

I think maybe the some of the Republican missed the point of the election. We elected Obama because we believe in his vision for this country and recognize the need to move forward. They need to carve out an exisistence for themselves in that vision or they may be left behind.

February 9, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  34. J Wesley

Hey Anderson,

U guys are missing the big picture here when it comes to the stimulus package. The president has already informed us that this plan is just one leg of the stool. It is vital to get this plan approved so that we can continue with TARP. I have great confidence in this plan because of "transparency in government". We will know exactly where the money is.

I like the idea that "transparency also would indicate flexibility".

J Wesley
    Atlanta

February 9, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  35. David, Indiana

So much to take in for the public in all of this. Gloria Borger hit on a good point, the question of acting or not acting. He opened up the road for compromise and made the hard pt that something needs to be done.

Enjoying Dana Bash's rept. not sure if cuts to education "do violence" to the plan as cong. dems say. To me it seems like this is where they can talk about provision. A lot of ed. grants opening up access to high ed still in the stimulus.

I can't believe those securities were bet on 30.00 for every 1.00 as Pres. Obama noted.

February 9, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  36. Larry

He needed to keep his blackberry....In his talks he ask for recorders go to computers....
    Can he justifie running airforce One all over the states at the cost of the people?

February 9, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  37. Donna Adams

I support the President's goal of getting something out quickly, even if it doesn't work totally and even if it is not perfect. We need something and we need it now.
    I believe Republicans are against it only because they want to see him fail. They are thinking of the next election rather than the people who need help and need it now. I lost my home and my sister lost her home. My brother's auto job is threatened. My brother-in-law's construction job is threatened. Republicans need to think about real people needing real help rather than hope the President will fail.

February 9, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  38. Ken in NC

President Obama will have to sit down with Madame Speaker and let her know that this is not the time to lose the stimulus package and that there will be another day. While sitting down with her, he needs to let her know that she does not run the show either.

My thoughts are that a lot of what was cut are funds that are supposed to be supplied by the states and or they are funds that Democrats will want to become permanent spending also. If they are in the stimulus package, what do you do next year when they are not in the budget to keep the positions filled? This is supposed to be a one time stimulus and not expanding the budget forever.

February 9, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  39. ashley - willis, tx

I used to like A-Rod, I even went to the astros game when the yankees came here to play during the summer just to see him...it sucks that he felt like he had to take steroids to enhance his playing. I will say that I am happy that he didn't deny taking them though....like other people...

February 9, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  40. Luis

Hi. I'll get to the point. If Obama is going to take this show on the road, I want to see him go through all the points in the stimulus package on T.V. for the American people to see and explain why, at each point, each section of the package will work, or possibly work. And those in favor and oppose should be present for questions, along with internet input from the American people. Secondly, will this tax payer money that will be dispensed be used to hire any business or individual, or will the focus in hiring be on unionized workers only/primarily? My concern is that unions will use part of that tax payer money to just help whatever politcal party they are partial to? Lastly, it is my opinion that tax cuts for every individual, rich or poor, worker or business, accompanied with regulation on business so that ethical and legal transactions are more likely to occur is the key. Personally, the new deal really didn't work for FDR, it took WW2 to get us out of the depression. Furthermore, as I understand it, Japan quadrupled their debt in the 1990's by trying to "spend" their way out of the hole that they were in. The inductive conclusion is that spending will not work, and that we'll need "hope" for this package to work

February 9, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  41. Claire Rose

Hey John King! Nkce to see you on the blog. I always enjoy hearing your perspective on all things political.

February 9, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  42. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

I'm curious about this stimulus check business. Who is it exactly for? I have friends saying that it goes to the people, but then others are saying it goes to businesses. Who does it go to?

February 9, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  43. Mike Gilmore

It is a shame that the "stimulus bill" is not near as good as described by P. Obama in his press conference. Why does CNN give him such a pass on this? Also, he stated that this crisis started on Wall Street. This is not true, It all started when Obama and other liberal democrats forced Freddie May/ Mac and the Banks to make home loans to people that did not desirve them. Then a few years later, Wall Street jumped on it and made it even worse. Obama will never admit the blame for what he and his liberal friends did.

February 9, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  44. Bridget, TX

@Tom, it was the republicans who approved these sub prime loans because at the time their buds were taking on the loans because they saw it as a money making business. It was for yrs but like all schemes the scheme caught up with them.

February 9, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  45. Miranda

Anderson-

I love how you oh so casually close your laptop on live t.v.?! So graceful!

On President Obama-I am interested to know what Mr. Gergen, perhaps others, think is the most important thing that must be passed in this version of the stimulus package that must not be cut in the final version signed by President Obama?

Thanks Anderson,

Miranda

February 9, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  46. Sidney Dallas,TX

Vanessa, yes you can be apart of the intellectual groupies... You don't need a starbucks either, you can just go make you some kool-aid. 😉

February 9, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  47. Anton

I understand that Pres. Obama needs to convince people that his plan is the right one. However, I also think that most people do not understand all the intricacies of economics. Therefore, instead of polling people on whether or not they think the stimulus package is good, why not poll top economist? I myself am not an economist. I voted for Pres. Obama because I believe he is going to lead us well. Therefore, I should let him lead and not unreasonably question what he is trying to accomplish. If he messes up then he’s not going to get my vote in four years.

February 9, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  48. Bobby

This is the first time I have sat through and enjoyed a presidential news conference/briefing since Ronald Regan was president. I am of the opinion that at long last we have a peoples president.

February 9, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  49. patrick

The Republicans party is crazy here we go with them not wanting to work with the Democrats in trying to fix the problem they created with President Bush in charge. If they would just try to reach across the isle and work with the democrats they might be able to fix this problem it was the Republicans who put no strings on the 350 billion that they gave the banks because it was the rich getting richer

February 9, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  50. Rob

Please stop being partisan. This is too important. It's democrats or republicans. This is about US....the taxpayers....the Americans of these United States being taken on a ride b/c we refuse to get involved and read and research what our gov't officials are doing. They speak out of both sides of their mouths and the media is corrupt too. IT"S up to us to read the legislation that put forward and yeah or ney it. Don't take a politicians or worse yet a media personnel's word for anything. INFORM yourselves and see how we are being played by these so called people we hired to work for us. They work for themselves and future power and control. WAKE UP before it's too late.

February 9, 2009 at 10:32 pm |