February 9th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/9/09

Want to share your thoughts on Pres. Obama's pitch tonight for the stimulus bill? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. vanessa from silver spring, MD

I am so sick of hearing about Arod. I am a huge Yankee fan and a huge Arod fan, and yes I am mad about what he did, but I don't need to hear about everytime I turn on the news. I'm sure that Arod realizes that no matter what he does there will always be a taint on his career. Even though I believe him when he says that he only did steroids during those years and that he hasn't done them since, but he did lie and say that he didn't do them at all, so the truth issue is still there, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt. Because if he did it would have come out by now. I wish him well, but this won't go good for him with the NY crowd. I hope he's ready for the craziness he will have to endure.

February 9, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  2. loua from CA

Hello Anderson/Erica,

Obama was commanding and articulate tonight and an average american/guy like myself appreciated that very much. It's about time we have a president who speaks the truth. I can take the truth regardless how bad the situation we may find ourselves in the near future.

February 9, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  3. Jacqueline, NY

@Jasmine-Spokane,WA "...Hmmmm, sounds like some of them didn’t pass the class."

Funny you should say that, Jasmine. I truly believe many of our law officials were probably mediocre student from, especially the Republican, just learning enough to pass their classes and graduate. How else could they have made such a mess of things.

You can't claim intelligence with these kind of results. That is why money for education is so important. I hate to say it, but America, for too long now, has been raising a bunch of idiots. Our government's decision making proves it.

February 9, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  4. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I can't believe that Obama would consider people from "The Huffington Post" legitimate reporters!

5. Brent

I know its all economy but is anyone on your panel going to mention how he completely dodged the question from Helen Thomas " Do you know of any middle eastern countries that have nuclear weapons?" The whole world knows Israel has at least 200 weapons in its arsenal, why not just be straight about it?

6. david from ky

the best way to spend the money is have the government create the jobs to put people back to work

7. Roberta Wolman

"Fire the bad teachers", Hey kids don't worry no need to do your homework . The President gonna fire your teacher. Blaming bad teachers, an oversimplified fix to a complex problem is not a true doctrine of change.

8. sharon

Anderson – why are you always so worried about what the Republicans are going to think or say? President Obama is worried about Americans regardless of their political affiliation and I wish the media could talk about his press conference that way too.

The Republicans lost the election, big time, and the polls show they don't have much support now, so why all the pondering about how they're going to react.

9. Henya

we have the best president for the difficult times we are in he speaks from his hart he cares and defiantly support him 100% why wooding we invest in enfastracter/schools/environment this an investment for our future and creates jobs,

10. Sara

No one really knows if this will work, I just pray that it does the trick. Only time will tell.

11. Michael Crowley

I am a big fan of Pres. Obama. I think he did well, but the press did not. He used up a lot of time "responding" to a few select questions, often reiterating. The press and the viewing public would be better served if the questions were answered more concisely. This would permit more reporters to be heard and allow for a broader range of topics.

12. Francine Gagnon

Pettiness aside your president did very well in his fist prime-time news conf. Stop the pettiness and follow your presidents advice. Did he not get 67% of the AMERICAN VOTE, its time to get on with it. The sqwaking your hearing is just the white collar workers realizing that the blue collar workers are finally going to get a bigger piece of the pie. How sweet that be! Congratulations. Your Canadian friend Francine

13. Beth

Hi All. To Ed Rollins- apparently the only thing you liked about the president's speech was the comment about firing bad teachers. I may have missed it, but did you say the same thing about bad Wall Street CEO's?

14. Abbie

I was very impressed by what I heard at President Obama's News Conference. Unlike some of the critics who complained about the length of his answers, I needed to hear substantive answers to some very important questions. President Obama spoke so clearly and articulately, with an amazing breadth of knowledge from the economic factors facing our country to the situation in Afghanistan. Were these critics looking for political fluff? I suppose that is what they had become accustomed to over the past eight years. I wish the news conference had been longer so that other questions I have could have been answered.

15. James from TN

I'd rather him be long winded then try to be a comedian and not be funny like someone else we know.

16. Wayne-NJ

It's really sad that NOW we have to respond to the crisis this countries in when the White House, Congress and the Senate allowed more than ten years of frivilus spending with little to no challenge. DC has benefited self to the point it has nearly destroyed us and our childrens future, YET you have people and powers to be sit on their hands and keep thinking to do nothing will help. Why haven't anyone other than President Barak Obama come up with ideas to resurrect our nation the House and Senate FAILED to do. Let's be honest, you will never please all, right? See hears the deal, People who fattened themselves don't think about those who are hungry until they themsleves get growling noises in their stomachs due to lack of nurishments in their body.

17. Donald in VA

I'm sure the people that are being harsh againts this stimulus plan referring to it as nothing but big government spending have jobs but let their tales get fired and cant find a job for months, they will be begging for the government to step in and help them find a job even with all there education and intelligence. Also, these people need to understand that America has been crippled infrastructurely, economically, medically and educationally by our past presidents who haven't had the testicular fortitude to say look we need to spend to rebuild this country back in every aspect we can think of. GO OBAMA handle your business.

February 9, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  18. Glen Up North

Steve: the reason for a Federal bank, as I see it, would be that the federal government would actually have _control_ over its own money, something that the US (or Canada) has not seen since at least the middle of the 20th century.

February 9, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  19. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Chris Sosa – Boston, MA, So was it just coincidence that the majority of those selected have been favorable to him in the past?

February 9, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  20. Patsy

Define pork. There seems to be quite a gulf in definition. How did building schools to educate our future get to be pork? Do the Republicans not want inner city kids educated? How did fixing roads & bridges get to be pork? Want another bridge collapse. You'll pay the money out then to the families who lost loved ones.

February 9, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  21. Fred

Are we not getting tired of the GOP only protecting the ultra rich? Their position is beyond tired, it is a dead one. In what world are they living?

February 9, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  22. Lorraine, Juneau Alaska

President Obama is doing the right thing. We love you in Alaska!

February 9, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  23. pete

How is this stimulus package going to help me a single man with no kids and I don't own a home. From what I'm hearing $20 a week more in my pay check...but I got laid off! How is that going to pay my bills?????? Can someone help me understand or tell me where its going to help me out...Thanks!

February 9, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  24. Juanita Hunter Young

He did a great job! He is an intelligent, scholarly, caring and fair-minded father,husband, and friend who is also President. He is popular because we can see his sincerity exhibited in what he does and what he says and the way he treats everyone. If drinking the President's "Kool-aid" causes euphoria and you feel your President is in control of the facts and will do his very best ...win some and lose some.... Please pass the Kool-Aid! I am delighted with the accomplishments of 21 days! I am ecstatic and believe with all my heart that this administration is off to a great start. I pray!.

February 9, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  25. Susan

I wish President Obama would reach out to business executives and encourage brave leadership and compassion. Businesses are about to slash so many more jobs, without compassion and without considering other options first. This is self-defeating and creates a downward spiral.

February 9, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  26. Shirley of southwest Ohio

I did my 25 year old single son's 1040EZ for him tonight. Income: $53,800. Total of everything taken out on his W-2: $16,129. How did it get so bad for a single guy in America? Of course he works 70 hour weeks -- so that he has something left after taxes to stimulate the economy.

February 9, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  27. Barbara in Boston

Ok, here's another point. President Obama must be doing something right. He has everyone in Congress angry with him.

February 9, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  28. MaryBeth

Hi, John King! Unfortunately, the places being hardest hit are those like Roanoke and Elkhart, which have been the backbone of American industry for decades. We never think of where RVs are made or where Caterpillar is, but we know about them and take advantage of their existence without thinking what would happen if Roanoke or Elkhart went broke and became modern day ghost towns. It's always been these smalltown, blue collar workers that keep America running. How many citydwellers would be willing to farm or work in a factory? We need these towns and their workers.

February 9, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  29. Maureen, Georgia

@ tim, I get the feeling that it doesn't matter what Pres. Obama does you're not going to agree with him. Please give him a chance not everything that happened in the past means it will happen now.

February 9, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  30. Emil from St. Louis

Mike, by saying "me" or "my" I think President Obama is taking full responsibility for what he is doing. Which is something new for Washington. Don't always blame it on the other guy!

February 9, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  31. Jan Persson

47 billion for infrastructure...(5%)...., 40% for wellfare, 20% for tax cuts, and 35% for federal Government Expansion, i.e. oversight, (or Nancy Pelosie's Share). WELL SPENT!!! By the way, I did spend 4 hours going over her Bill on Sunday

February 9, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  32. Lucas

As for the stimulus fight:
    Conservatives/republicans are just being obstructionist to tarnish his image.

I see from the poll cnn showed earlier that i'm far from alone in thinking this.
    Seems like a repeat of the same strategy to tarnish bill clinton back in the day.

Given that that strategy worked flawlessly back then why wouldn't they try it again?
    Amazingly enough they don't see how that might backfire if people realize they're cynically exploiting this crisis for their own gain.
    Years ago it might have been fine but now it could potentially destroy them for an even longer period of time than the last election alone has.

33. Linda

Hi Anderson

Some one said you have the best group of groupies. Well all I can say is ANDERSON ROCKS.

I agree with Karen when she said Ed Rollins is expecting the President to lay out precisely what the jobs are. Really no one can do that and he continues to say this at just about every other show. He needs to give it a rest and stop excusing Republican lack to want to support this bill so they can say just what John King had mention that later the GOP can say see those Democracts are all about spending and wasting their money.

But I believe if they don't get on board with this Pres Obama they are going to be losing not only their shirts but their sits too. Pres Obama is target their base, in Elkgart and tomorrow going down to Florida. So they better look out

34. Amy

Rather then giving us tax cuts(which President Obama acknowledges has not worked in the past), why not issue vouchers that retailers and businesses can redeem to purchase goods. We need to stimulate actual spending and I am surprised that this is not being directly addressed. If I had a job and were to get the $500 I would do the same thing I did when Mr. Bush sent me money, put it in the bank!

35. Michelle

President Obama’s Stimulus package would help bring about jobs which is the immediate crisis right now. However, it will need to make a significant boost to the economy. Question is can it accomplish that?

36. Glen Up North

Cassie, again, Obama wasn't in power when the American economy was brought into this mess. Why should Obama be blamed?

37. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo John King!!!!
    Nice see your blog tonight!!! I love your show every Sunday morning!!!! 🙂 I agree with your comment!

38. Dodie from CA

Isabel Abreu, Brazil Yes, they will have to be retrained...

39. Philoan Tran - Houston

Good press conference from President Obama; he can articulate his positions in details. I hope that Republican legislators get some reality check soon – it's about saving the American people and the economy and not about partisan politics as usual.

40. Brian, Houston TX

Hello All.
    Is anyone else concerned about the amount of rhetoric focused on getting this thing done quickly? It's like joining a gym or buying a car and the sales guy tells you that you need to sign-up\buy today because prices are going up tomorrow. It took over 8 years to get where we are today. Is waiting a month or two (or six) to work out the details really that big a deal? Most financial decisions people make in hast don't turn out well.

Barney Frank even acknowledged on MTP this week that dems were trying to make up for 8 years of Bush in this bill. Can't we focus on stimulus and get the rest done through appropriations?

41. Evan

Obama Did a great job getting his message across to regular Joe's. As for CNN's Best Political color commentators, I think David Gurgan and Rolland are the most reasonable and agreeable. But you got to get more Paul Begala on air, he is a hoot!
    Anyways, you got a good show going on there, keep it up.

42. Roger- San Antonio

Yes Vanessa, your already smart by watching this politcal show, it's important to know what's going on in the countries economy

43. Bridget, TX

@Lesley, he is, and they are:)

44. Tom SCS, MI

Martyn-Kudos! Loved your comments. I think Clinton has more than "lady" problems however!

45. Boris

I know the economy is front & center, but I haven't heard the word Iraq
    in weeks. I want our boys out of there, and I want them to have something to look forward to.

46. Darren

I believe that the Candy Crowley report is inaccurate in that the $15K housing credit in the Senate Bill is not limited to first-time home buyers. The House version is limited to first-time home buyers and is half the amount of the Senate version.

February 9, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  47. Stacy

I can't believe they cut Head Start.

February 9, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  48. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

King....Thanks for taking the time to chat with us bloggers. In your recent travels (and I'm certain the President is stalking you), how did the different communities seem to be dealing with the economic hardships?

February 9, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  49. Eunice Matthews-Armstead

I heard some mention of a standard 4% interest rate on mortgages but I haven't heard any further discussion of this issue. I believe that it is an important issue and would go a lot further than any $500/$1000.00 tax cut in terms of putting money in the average Americans pocket, and assist in stablizing family wealth, and help others keep their homes by reducing their monthly bills and giving them more money to do other things. Where are we this proposal? Is it in or out.

February 9, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  50. Brandi bottom of the boot

@Clyde,

please accept my sincerest apologies, i am so terrible at remembering names, i knew i left some out, but all the regulars know who they are. lol

February 9, 2009 at 10:27 pm |