February 9th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/9/09

Want to share your thoughts on Pres. Obama's pitch tonight for the stimulus bill? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

One way or another, with a "direct" stimulus approach, people will either pay down bills (liquidity for our banking system) or go out and buy goods and services (if they don't have bils).

Aside from credit cards, there's another looming issue...people and small businesses who had good credit scores who now have crummy scores and can't get a mortgage, a line of credit, or a loan.

February 9, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  2. patrick

Anderson,
    I agree that the President did a good job tonight. i work for a car dealership and there are alot of folks who want to buy cars and tradee in their old ones but the banks who got all the money are not loaning it out that is the main problem with why people are not spending money at this time the banksare keeping the billions we gave them months ago

February 9, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  3. tom theobold

Hi Anderson: First time for me. A thought just hit that there is an angle that no one has mentioned. President Obama said he would reach across to the opposition party-not just the party leaders. He tried that, now he is going straight to the opposition people– Elkart etc.

February 9, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  4. Carlos

If only we could reach a political level in America where the day after an election is decided, the elected official is required to drop the "party" affiliation and respond to the higher cause of getting the work of the people accomplished. Possibly the diminishing of lobbyist influence will move us in time in this direction. Also I feel that removing lobbyist influence from our political system may deter those interested in their own personal gain from seeking office and bring people to the Hill who seek to make a positive difference in the interest of the nation.

February 9, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  5. Chandy, Saskatoon. Canada

Dear Anderson:

As a Canadian I was looking to Press Question on two major issues:

1) Buy American vis a vis coexist with other major trading partners- Canada is one especially dependant upon Auto Industry of US and US dependant upon Canadian Oil!

2) Tourism income of US had taken a beating in US since 911 and consequently in Canada requiring 'the present welcome attitude' enhanced by pro actively relaxed Border Controls'!!

Both subjects would give the required 'Jolt', we Canadians feel. Your comments please.

Chandy

February 9, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  6. Bea

I think it may be brilliant to have forced republicans to cut education. If education is the focus of a future spending bill republicans can look like the enemy of education. It may be his best move yet. Think about it!

February 9, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  7. Patrick, TX

I do not see how the government can fund another near trillion-dollar stimulus package without any money to spend. The Federal Reserve has already given out $5.7 Trillion in debt spending. What good will stimulating the economy do if we have to pay double for it in either raised taxes or monetized inflation?

8. Sidney Dallas,TX

John King I think you may have a point, President Obama maybe following you around the country. We waiting for you guys to come to Texas.

9. Clarence Albuquerque

Does it matter what the public supports..? The plan is to get the plan passed asap... Who really has time to sort it all out?

10. kashmira

where is Anderson?
    The speech Obama gave was great,
    Love,
    Kashmira Dayal

11. Donald in VA

Jo Ann he didnt take random questions just like every other president hasn't done throughout their administration.

12. Pam Bickell

I have just sent e-mails to my Congressional Rep. Dean Heller and Senator Ensign asking them to stop playing politics, to give a hand up to the American people and to vote for the stimulus bill.
    I also sent an e-mail to Senator Harry Reid, asking him to listen to Republicans who have caring (for the American people) input–to be willing to listen–and vote for the bill.
    Thanks for caring.
    Pam Bickell

13. dbl.r , West Coast

That was an excellent first press conference given by our president , Barack Obama . I`m looking forward to many more from him . It is so refreshing to finally have a commander in chief with intelligence for a change .

14. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, If this is a "stimulus bill" and not a "spending bill" why is the price tag rising as we speak?

15. Carla

I live in South Florida & work for a non-profit organization in which I have seen over 20 people loose their jobs. I'm a single mother currently working three part-time jobs and feel hopeful after hearing the President explain how he is planning on providing assistance to the every day American.

I think President Obama did an excellent job communicating and relating to the real people who are in desperate need of assistance.

16. Keneshia

I don't understand how there can be so much bipartisanship at this very critical time.

Can you ask the politicians who are refusing this stimulus bill to look and see how their own families are hurting? Tell them to ask their children and relatives what they need. Chances are we all need the same thing.

We also need the politicians to stop looking out for themselves and think about the people they represent. We need help, NOW!

17. Julia

Obama showed real leadership tonight.

18. karen beasley

Great speech–No substance!!! All you bloogers at CNN haven't got a clue. Obama mentioned China"s economy - it failed under massive infusion of cash for 8 years. Government is not the answer . I don't think most of you know this is money we will have to pay back. This is our money he is spending. I know you do not want to admit that people with money will create (offer) these jobs to the average American. Most people are sadly looking for a handout. This man does not know what he is doing!! This bill is mostly pork - read it!!! KB in OK

19. John

Good evening everyone:
    Again President Obama had to remind us that we inherited the worse defecit in the history of the Nation. What gave us this crisis? Tax Cuts.
    It is easy to think that if our taxes are cut that we are going to get more money. I guess that is wrong, at least for the common worker. The previous administration told us that a stimulous was necessary, they gave most of us $500 dolars, that is $41.66 dollars a month. Now, how out of touch is that? What can you do with that amount of money? What country's economy are we stimulating? Sudan's probably. I say, keep the $41.66 dollars, reduce the defecit. Want to stimulate the economy? want to get me to spend money? Reduce my interest rate from 6% to 3%. That will put money in my pocket, certainly more than $41.66 dollars. That is not a hand out, that is refinancing. Force the banks that get 1% interest of our money to slash the interest rates of credit cards. They get our money at 1% or less and they charge the ones who give them the money 23%. Are we idiots? by the way, that is not a hand out either, that is stop usury.

20. Mary

If Obama is speaking of our country starting to produce/manufacture more or once again, why doesn't the stimulus plan address incentives for manufacturing? We can't caulk (weatherize) government buildings forever.

21. Bridget, TX

It's amazing how P.Obama, David and Ali are able to tell the truth, we're in a chronic-crisis but offers hope. It's bad and we need to know the truth, but by knowing how bad it is we understand it's going to take time to recover. Aww all my favorites are all on today, P.Obama, Ali, David and all the analysts. We need more press conferences:)

22. Joel from Kingston MA

Why is the Obama Administration NOT charging anyone of the banking establishment that received and squandered with theft. or Larceny by check

23. Jim M

Anderson, David & Ali:

Even with a job creating stimulus package, what can be done to shore-up confidence with the major corporations to keep from seeing the large monthly job losses.

The general public will continue to be shy about any kinds of major spending increases when they don't know if they will have a job next week or next month.

24. Rik from Elkhart IN

We understand the problem, the previous stimulus package didn't work, but when it is added to the stimulus package on the table, it exceeds more than $1.5 trillion. For Rik average American, it is hard to conceptually know what $1.5 trillion is, but I think Americans want to know how this is funded. If the government prints the money, what controls do we have on inflation and the devaluation of the $ with foreign currency which will ultimately hurt our competitiveness in the market. If the government borrows the money, now it appears that they are competing for the same capital that my small business is competing for which will drive interest rates up. What controls does the government have to control interest rates?

25. Belinda

Bipartisanship is not a one way street, both parties have to be willing and frankly it seems like one party is only focused on slapping the other.

26. biba

The lady with the octuplets again! you asked us if we wanted to hear about her again or not last week and i think most people said "NO", do our opinions as viewers matter at all? like the show but you are really making this lady a superstar.

27. Connie

One huge job creation from stimulis – United State Enrichment Corp is waiting on loan that was already approved under Bush that would create hundreds of long term jobs in Piketon, OH that is in poverty stricken area that would finish the Centrifuge Plant that would enrich uranium for power plants and make us energy independent and is clean energy. Right now it is on hold and gearing down til money is approved. That is what Repubs are calling pork, the loans for energy.

28. betty from kentucky

wow what a president! what a shame my reps in congress and senate do not get it! but i keep emailing them!

29. Dennis

Anderson,

There was an empty seat next to Helen Thomas, do you know who was missing?

30. Maureen, Georgia

@ Isabel Abreu, Brazil I agree wth you, Pres Obama has a rough job ahead of him especially since the repubs are hell bent on opposing him every step of the way in this very tough economic times.

31. Norm L.

Spending got us into this. How does spending more make it better? Let the poor decision makers fail. That is the only way to get rid of the bad business practices and poor decision makers.

32. Don Cantrell

I'm 61 years old and I've heard good refreshing speeches from many Presidents and Politicians, but the bottom line is, "Talk is cheap, and it does not put groceries on the table or pay the bills"!

33. Gregory Guest

CNN,

I think President Obama is the one person who can lead us out of this mess the Republicans and President Bush put us in during the past 8 years. The rich became richer. Texas got bailed out and oil skyrocketed. We need the help in American and around the world. I enjoy CNN and it does some solid reporting. The negative approach of some of your guest is just not healthy for our country.

Let us remember, that the more unemployment the higher the crime rate which causes a poor quality of life. I love this country and I know if we all stick together with our new outstanding President we will prevail.

Thanks

34. Patty

Why do we have to accept that ONLY GOVERNMENT can help us, as the President says. Are we not able to help ourselves?? We are the greatest country in the world...why do we need a Trillion dollar stimulus package, so our children will have to pay this back someday? \Nothing is for Free....someone has to pay this back. Where is this Trillion Dollar coming from. By the way, why do we have to have an Frisbee Golf Course built.....this is in the stimulus package!!

35. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Obama is still sounding like a candidate instead of the president. Instead of being spontaneous he sounds like he is reading from a script.

36. claire-wichita, ks

Being a social liberal and fiscal conservative (identifying as a Democrat) I am not crazy about the price tag of this bill. However, what I am looking for is "bang for my buck." I WANT projects in this bill that are long term things that can improve conditions in this country. I understand the need for short term, but I want something to show for it. It is the difference between blowing $500-1,000 dollars on concert and an evening out and taking a continuing education class.

37. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

President Obama inherited a country destroyed by the administration of former President Bush. And the former President Bush inherited a country with excessive consumerism provided by Era Clinton, primarily in area real estate.

38. Karen C

OMG Plleeease don't bring up the idea it isn't enough (I know I've read it and it scares me because well...you see how hard it is to get THIS...we'd NEVER get the kind of stimulous some economists talk about 🙁 and I was just beginning to feel better after the new conference).

39. Robin

Government is not a thing it is people. We the people need to follow our President's lead and start doing the right thing. Anything is possible if we do the right thing.

40. Michelle Brown in Los Angeles - Love Obama

I do wish the bill included payroll tax breaks. That would really help me immediately as long as I still have a job to spend. Right now, I am kind of scared of loosing my job and not spending much.

Also everyone that owns a home knows you have to pay for upkeep, R&M, or the property will not be worth anything, the same with our country, you HAVE to put money into infrastructure. We have put this off for two long, blowing money talking about it, cut the politicians salary and put the people to work getting this done.

41. Julia

Obama showed real leadership tonight. The republicans just can stand the fact that Obama is a the real deal and are trying to find a way to position for a run a the presidency in 2012. But I ask the question, How can you expect to win another election if you voted against the interest of the people in your district? I don't the Republicans have really thought their opposition through. They are acting like stubborn children.

42. Ardis Lunn

This economy is not a democrat or republican problem, it is the entire country’s problem. You would think that mature adults could actually work together to try to make it better.

43. Clarence Albuquerque

Obama's answers are always long when he has no script.

44. Nancy Lee

All I could think of during President Obama's Town Hall in Elkhart, IN and his press conference tonight was, "thank God he is president and not John McCain!" Can you imagine where we would be now with McCain as president? He would be leading the Republicans with their tired old idea of tax breaks for the wealthy. Good old Reagan trickle down economics.

Republicans have made an icon out of Reagan. Even though he was a nice man and a good communicator, he was the one that kept harping on making government smaller so it has gotten to the point that Americans are afraid of the government that they elect to represent them. Folks, we, the people, are the government and this president is one of us! He is working for us, and not for the fat cats that have prevailed in D.C. for too many years.

45. ben

So, let me get this right by June Im supposed to be getting $20 more a paycheck based on tax cut and with that $20 Im supposed to stimulate the economy? I find this a bit rediculous. As for the $2500 car tax credit, and $15000 housing tax credit, what are those of us that were responsible enough to pay our mortgages and not go out and live "out of our means" per say and buy something we knew we couldnt afford in a time of a job loss or other such unforeseen circumstance are we just out of luck or how are we being dealt into this package?

46. Freda

President Obama's news conference reminds americans why we voted for him in the first place. He's a true leader and he's done something no other president in my life time has done...I'm listening !!!

47. Lauren--NY

I said good evening before but it didn't make it through–second attempt! 🙂

Ashley, well put, as usual. I agree that we have a refreshing mix of idealism and realism with this president.

And I have to agree with CaseyJ–last I checked, 42% of this bill was comprised of tax cuts. That's enough.

48. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I think that webcast have problem glitch!

49. Bill

Please Anderson: Show us a simple pie chart displaying the major spending areas of the economic plan. I've heard reports that the funds allocated for infrastructure imporvements are only 5% of the total. A pie chart would help us all understand the big picture here.
    Bill from TN

50. Glen Up North

Rob, one person can't tell the entire government what to do. Who would you think Obama is... God? He's working with them, and realizing there's a long road before we can cut out all the "pork". Besides, a good point was raised earlier in this blog re: collapsing bridges and infrastructure being replaced. What's considered "pork" to someone who doesn't live in an area may actually be a vital part of that area's economy.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13