February 9th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/9/09

Want to share your thoughts on Pres. Obama's pitch tonight for the stimulus bill? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Tom SCS, MI

Bush! Who was that?? Oh, that guy that broke the world.

February 9, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  2. charmin

Hi Anderson always enjoy your show. Why do the republicans want so much for tax breaks? I mean if you don't have a pay check due to job loss or you make only so much that a huge amount of taxes are not applied to you what's the benefit ? There isn't! Create more jobs!

February 9, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  3. Lori from IL

Has anyone heard what the republican's are proposing for a stimulus package (other than tax cuts for business and the rich - which haven't worked for the last 8 years)? It's easy to rip someone else's plan apart - but in my view, you lose credibility unless you propose a viable plan of your own.

And what happened to John McCain's "reaching across the aisle" that we heard so much about during the campaign?

February 9, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  4. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

@Megan – Just realized I've been spelling your name incorrectly... Sorry about that! And yes, so far so good on the staying-awake front. 😀

@Jo Anne – I believe the names were selected beforehand to avoid the often frenzied atmosphere press conferences can take and to adhere to time restraints.

5. Barbara in Boston

I kept nodding my head through the press conference, agreeing with many points the President made:

1 It's amazing to hear the Republicans bleat about deficits in 2008 given what they've voted for during the last 8 years.

2 The stimulus plan is not just about short-term job creation. If it were, how would we deal with the sudden fall-off once those funds had been depleted? So part of the bill has to include longer-term investment.

3 The revisionist history stating that the New Deal did nothing for America makes me sick. Yes, the Great Depression did not end until massive government armament spending flooded the country when the US entered WW2, but in the eight years before that, Roosevelt's New Deal reduced unemployment dramatically and saved millions of American lives.

I could go on, but that'll do for now.

6. Esma

Oh, I can't wait for the Octuplets of Insanity...and the names, should we start guessing?

7. edwin

your kiding me nothung but pork

8. Steve

dodie....seriously, a Federal Bank...everyone has low interest rates. how much lower do you want...the Fed borrowing rate is .0025% and most mortgages are 4.5%

9. Abayomi, Florida

I am sorry I missed the live blog on the Pres. Address, but it's great to have the American People, and as we see on this AC360 blog that the WORLD is responding to what AMERICA THE GREAT does.

It will be a Success in all these because we are finally getting the hands on in Government Work that has been missing in Years.

The Press Secretary has the Press Room in laughter several times. I pray the days for all of us to Return to Laughter comes back soon.

10. Joyce in Florida

Great speech, great show of leadership by our President! To the person who said they are tired of the President saying he inherited this huge mess, well as far as I'm concern he needs to say it because the same persons that created "this mess" are the same ones fighting him on trying to straightening it out.

When will the Republicans realize that we voted for change in November 08 and not some of the same? I can't wait until 2010 when I can vote again and get the Republicans in my area out . They still don't understand.

I need a job, not a lot of bs from the Republicans!!

11. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Poor Aussies! No one should have to deal with that.....those pictures are horrific, just imagine being there in person....

12. Michelle

That is pretty scary what Mr. David Gergen said.
    If the current global economic crisis is being called
    a depression that is something I never thought was
    possible.

13. lynn

President Obama has been getting beaten up by Republicans all weak: Romney, Graham, John McCain, Shelbt. Tonight he had to clearly show them that he is the boss.

This whole Republican outrage is solely about "finding their voice" and coming together which means looking at the 2010 election. Even their new leader, M. Steele, referred to the package as "bling, bling...tell that to a father or mother who has no job!!

14. Randolph Hurst, West Warwick, RI

I loved the President's intelligence, his willingness to face the press, and his frank assessment of the rhetoric and delays in Congress caused by the Republican party.

15. M.Jones

I watched Pres. Obama address on CNN tonight and I agree that the Rep. have had 20 out of the last 28 years to try their tax cutting policy and it hasn't worked for the middle class American worker. I hope all of working class American wakes up to the fact Rep. are not our friends. Try giving Pres. Obama's idea's a chance.

16. Kafi

President Obama was excellent in this conference tonight. He demonstrated that he is brilliant and truly understands the issues and further is not playing political games but is putting the American public at the forefront. This man has reached out to the republicans (who really have no credibility to criticize Obama's stimulus plan considering they were at the helm for the past 8 years during the doubling of the national debt) in an unprecendented way and it is clear that the republicans are playing political games and are concerned with winning elections and not concerned with the disaster facing the American public at this time. Kudos to President Obama and I hope his plan is met with resounding success.
    Good job to CNN for the coverage and particularly to David Gergen – the most brilliant, fair and unbiased contributor on CNN.

17. Martyn Belmont

Are you kidding? This was the best news conference that we've had in over 8 years ( probably 12 given Pres. Clintons lady problems). It is such a relief to hear an educated, knowledgeable, brilliant communicator who talks only about " what's best for the American People". It is so refreshing to hear from someone who understands the "populist rage" against Wall Street greed and entitlement. I think the Republicans need to "re-read" the poll numbers to understand that they will go down in even greater defeat in 2010 than they did in November if they do not begin to live the "bi-partisan life" and vote for this stimulus. They need to get over the "hope" that voting against this will bring their "rebirth". And, I forgot to mention, I am a "Recovering Republican" . I first voted in 1962. I have voted Republican every year ( not Bush for his second term) since 1962. I'm done, been there, done that. I am an Obama fan !

18. Tom

Isabel Abreu, Brazil February 9th, 2009 10:12 pm ET

"Keeping them Honest: President Obama will not have easy life. After inheriting the chaos established by the incompetence of former President Bush, now face the reaction of conservatives."

How did Bush cause the chaos? I'm not a Bush fan but do your research before you blame Bush.

Which party asked for looser restrictions on loans/mortgages so that low income families could be part of the American Dream to own their own home. It sure wasn't the Republicans, or Bush.

19. Vanessa, TX

Can I be part of the "intellectual groupies"? I know I haven't blogged for much time but I like to consider myself smarter by blogging on AC 360...
    lol 😉

20. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Obama is not necessarily against tax cuts what he is saying is that tax cuts are not going to be the sole fix to the problem...there has to be other stimulus programs.

21. Stacy

I don't think this stimulus is enough. We need it to be much bigger.

22. Harold Jackson

President Obamas' address to the Politicians in D.C. was much needed. If only they would come home and have their own Town Hall Meeting. Forget the Politics. He's hearing us, why aren't you? Its not so much about your district-its about our country. You seem to have forgotten why we put you in office(To Serve The Publics Good)....

23. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

I did like that Obama said we will be able to monitor the spending of this bill via an internet website (that is, if it ever gets passed).

24. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Bipartisanship is important because those Republicans represent half of the country. I hope Obama and Pelosi are not tryng to ignore the wishes of those taxpayers.

25. Harry

Could some one explain to the american people why the republicans are so agianst the 900 billion stimulas package ,but don"t seem to worry about a TRILLION DOLLAR trade deficit annually and the jobs that go with it.

26. Jonnathon

I approve and applaud the president for what he has covered in this speech/question session about the stimulus, congress, etc. Those of you in the press(pundits) shouldn't think that you have all the information necessary to make a fully informed judgement about the presidents progress and/or success. His speech/answers were adequately good, considering he is privy to much more information than you or I...besides, he is sharp, intelligent, savvy and has intelligent people and advisors around him!
    I am confident he is moving us(America) in the right direction.

27. Gloria Cooke

While I was impressed with the President's answers and ideas, I don't feel as if I have the expertise necessary to determine if his plan is viable. I am going to hold my final support until I hear the Treasury Sect's upcoming message as I don't think Pres. Obama fully addressed how congress plans to handle the bank/credit portion of this debacle. From what economist have said, getting credit flowing is critical to the success of any stimulus plan. One thing I have no patience for is congressmen who's support or lack thereof is determined by how it will affect their political future. Represent the people and get the job done because if you stonewall, you will be one of the unemployed come the next election cycle!

28. Deb inOakland,Ca

The president spoke to me, He stated the problem and the answer.
    I too think, bipartisanship would be great, but I don't expect it.
    But I didn't expect the republicans to want him to fail, which is what it looks like to me. If they were in danger of hitting the poverty level, they would think the word dire was apt.
    He's correct, the republicans keep trying the same thing over and over again it doesn't work.
    That the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting diffrent results.

29. Andrew

How come Obama dodged the question from that sweet old lady re which Middle Eastern countries have nuclear weapons. The whole press conference was perfect except for his answer to this question. Is he not trying to say Iran is nuclear??????

30. Chrystal

I think it's great how the President has been visible and so down to earth. I totally understood everything said. The republican analyst must get paid to be critical. You can't win for loosing with some people. No one can make a change to all those bad habits overnight and President Obama certainly understands that. He also knows he want win them all. But it's sad that at this crucial moment you still have people playing games. All of this is by trial. We have never experienced any of this before. And I'm sorry tax cut want do it. Nor will doing nothing make it better.

31. Roger

Awesome News Confernece from President Obama. He succintly conveyed the message to the american people that the big tax breaks to the rich are no longer viable in todays economy. I agree with David Gergen as to how he used this news conference as a buly pulpit/

32. Deana

I truly enjoyed the news conference from President Obama and could not help thinking several times during it that George W. could never have pulled off the conversation....let alone the recovery stimulus.

33. Teresa, OH

@Julia: re: what’s the problem with a Republican voting her conscience and not party?

Great point... I wonder what the house and senate would vote if the votes were anonymous?

34. Joel

It seems that every part of the Stimulus package and the ongoing TARP debacle focuses on saving the large companies goverment offices and thier employees. Nothing in there reaches through the corporate and goverment smokescreens and reaches down to the American small business owner. We fail to recognize that these small business owners who have carried employees longer than they should have are out in the wind. Small business owners who show up to work every day but have not taken paychecks in upwards of 18 months do not get counted in the unemployment rolls. How does a small business owner get the help they need ?

35. Jacque

President Obama is working as fast and furious as possible. The wonderful thing is he knows he can't please everyone. He's willing to listen to anyone who may have a clue. It's most likely the best thing if the American people listen for a change.

Stop wondering if people will spend money, they'll spend it, they'll have no choice. Just caring for the family will position people to spend.

We've voted this man in office, it's time we follow direction. We didn't have ANY direction with the Bush admin. We have a light at the end of the tunnel people... goooo tooo the liiiight.

36. sean brizendine

anderson when president obama said that failure to act now could cause irreversible damage to our economy, i think that we should really be concerned.
    "sean in santa rosa"

37. Donald McMunn

It is entirely refreshing and encouraging to hear a President who speaks with clarity, intelligence and logic. Now, if we can either get the republicans to wake up from their delusional stupor or kill 'em off, we should be okay ! They spend 3 trillion dollars on destruction and theft, then squawk about spending money that actually helps our own people !

38. Craig Hall from Albany, NY

Can the panel discuss what happens to the government jobs when the money runs out? I assume that initially it will help to save jobs but will we be able to maintain and support government jobs on state and local levels in the future?

39. Mike, Syracuse NY

The last trillion of that debt doubling happened when Dems controlled Congress. The President can't spend a dime unless it's authorized by Congress. The blame is shared, and Obama has his share of blame from 4 years in the Senate.

40. Bob

President Obama was masterful tonight. He is neither professorial nor long-winded. Perhaps we have grown too used to puerile mutterings from the oval office.

41. tim

Barack's long winded BS was very disturbing. He thinks if he talks enough about a topic he will be believable. History is clear, we can't spend our way out of this Sub-Prime mess that has been developing for 20 years. God help us all!

42. James from TN

Good evening anderson and CNN, I wanted to way in on the conerence. First, I agree with Obama, he in herited this mess and what most are going to have to understand is..we're going to have to spend some to make some money and create jobs. A quick example, if you buy a shack you're gonna have to spend some first before you can resale that house and make a profit and the money comes from you or a loan, right?

43. Bea

I wish the press would press republican opponents on their stance on the Bush years and why now is different. They stood orettty solid then in favor of Bush' flawed spending. They complained, but they supported him.

44. Mallory

The President's got it right! My fiance and I are just worried about putting food on the table next week and paying our bills next week. I have no idea whether he will call me tomorrow and tell me he is coming home early because he has been laid off. We are living week to week, as many American's, it would be a disaster for us if he lost his job. The politician's in Washington need to wake up and look around, they may not be worried about tomorrow, but the rest of America is, this bill needs to pass quickly, the American people need it.

45. jarrod

should'nt Obama be working on creating a jobs rather than putting a number on how many he wants to get or save could this Be political suicide for our first african american president

46. Harman

I think Pres. Obama is doing a great job,of course he is left with this "economic mess" but at least he is doing something to get us out of this "economic mess" which i really think should have been figured out by George Bush in the first place....but i believe in change and we have made that change only results are pending

47. Clarence Albuquerque

Putting a good face in the plan will really only be experienced when it happens.

48. david from ky

talk about thing s that worked before . bring back the wpa

49. Michael

I agree with Pres. Obama on the severity of passing this stimulus bill. The backbone of this country are the middle class citizens who make the upper class prosper with their corps and businesses. Republicans who believe in doing nothing will only make our great nation fall.

50. niwat, Chicago

Hi AC, AC360 casts and bloggers,

President Obama's premier conference was wonderful, his address on economic with the Recovery and Reinvesting bill sounds promising and the Q&A part was insightful.

There is no question that the bill will passed but with the Senate proposals to offer one time supplemental Social Securities payments,in total of 17 billion. We have seen it in the Economic Stimulus Act of 2008 that the stimulus check hasn't shaped the economy in the past quarters despite consumers circulated the money immediately by bills-paying.
    So in the long run, The fund could be poured in education section, creating teaching jobs, chartering with schools and universities, improving labs.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13