February 9th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/9/09

Want to share your thoughts on Pres. Obama's pitch tonight for the stimulus bill? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Sue

The president's stimulus program relies heavily on creating jobs in the trades such as building roads, improving schools, making federal buildings more energy efficient and so on. What about those young people who are recent college graduates? There doesn't seem to be much hope for them in this bill. It doesn't add up that they are extending more Pell grant money for college education, but there will not be the corresponding job opportunities for college graduates unless your degree is in engineering or construction management. It just doesn't make sense to me....

2. Steve

The election is over...pls let us move on. Pres Obama says it has to happen now....I agree...the bill does not do this...the jobs are deferred!!! BET reporter talking politics..we do not care...stick with the issues...and let's pray the Pres is focused on today and not 2010. Please.

3. Deena

Pork Belly programs? How does that help us work together to build a program that will really have the best effect for the American people.

I think there are republicans and democrats who have issues with this proposal, as evidence between the gap of Obama's approval and the approval level for this Stimulus Package. However, unless there are better ideas being floated for approval, this is what we have and adjustments can be made to the right or left once it has been approved. Yes? Seems that we are all guilty of our economic mess, and using blame on either side doesn't help the American people. my two cents.

4. Tom SCS, MI

Why all the comments about how long the President's answer's were?
    If they want a short answer, ask him what his favorite color is.

5. Karen C

BTW, to whoever mentioned interest rates, we really can't GO any lower and it isn't helping.

6. greg ducksworth

obama inherited this economic disaster, i think republicans should get on board for the sake of america

7. Nate

It's nice to see a president take responsibility and address such serious issues with intelligence. No one has a crystal ball, but he clearly understands the issues and the most probable solution. I think he did a great job tonight

8. Michelle

Nobody I know is spending money. Everyone
    one is saving in case of layoffs at their companies.

9. Charles

Above all else, I'm simply pleased to turn on my tv and watch a poised, thoughtful, and obviosly compentent individual in charge of working through our biggest issues. Just that by itself instills in me confidence and hope for a better future.

10. Lesley

President Obama sounds like he is the only forward thinker around. He makes the people who are against this program seem like they are in a century from long long ago.

11. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

@Glen Up North......MANY American Consumers are absolutely drowning in debt (consumer credit is the next major thing to explode, for example). I believe "direct" consumer stimulus would satisfy a pent-up demand for products and services. I belileve MOSTof it would fly out the door into the economy.

12. Bridget, TX

Go Gloria, somebody actually listened to the president and understands where he's coming from.

Am I the only one who noticed that the feel of the press room seemed more intelligent and in sync or is it just me? The questions seemed more on point, and the answers of course were fantastic.

13. Clarence Albuquerque

Not everyone caught the press conference... and perhaps many will miss the news reports... but what needs to be done is to implement something that directly affects the johns and janes in the public arena.

14. Virginia

I think President Obama did a great job explaining the Stimulus Package.

15. Sidney Dallas,TX

Look at Ali giving his thoughts with the late night crew.

16. Joel from Kingston MA

I do not see why everybody is so in wow over this press conference he was not asked any tough questions and did not answer the questions asked. If you listen to it he says the same thing over and over again. it almost sounded like a bush press conference. Nothing got accomplished.

17. S. Edney

It seems President Obama seems to have a great handle on what our country needs to bring it back to what we were 8 years ago. I pray that President Obama continues to stay open minded, fair, and courageous enough to continue this economic battle.

18. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, That is a good question, I hope you are going to follow this progress chart.

19. Lisa L

Dear Anderson,

I value your commentary on the presidential news conference.

Luckily I am far away from the bushfires.

I am praying for rain.

Sincerely,

Lisa L
    Sydney, Australia

20. Micah Zahler

It is such a nice thingto have a leader that instills a sense of hope, and the fact that he can pronounce Nuclear is cool too!

21. Bryan Pereyo

He is telling Congress without saying it

"Ladies & Gentlemen we are in a depression – wake up and if you don't like my plan show me yours – but instead people would rather knock his!

COngress and the House needs to put up their plan or just shut up!!!

22. Cessy, Chicago

Good evening, everyone! It's going to be one very busy night! It looks like there's a lot of movement in the studio. Thanks in advance for all the hardwork- Anderson, guests and behind the scenes crew! You guys are THE best!

23. john king

hello everyone. long time.
    it is very interesting watching the president in his early weeks. he clearly has decided to use all of the communication tools at his disposal to sell his economic plan. i was joking earlier today that he is following me; i was in indiana last week and he went there today, and in peoria the week before and he is heading there thursday. smart places if you want to personalize the pain. the toll of layoffs is, sadly, everywhere.

24. MaryBeth

I think Obama did a great job. I agree with Casey, he should keep up with his road show. It's like POTUS on Tour! I think that we need more of this. Take Washington OUT of Washington, make it relatable to us, the regular American. Hopefully, people will start calling/emailing their congressman/senator and tell them to figure out what's REALLY happening in America.

25. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Anderson e Contributors,
    In the measures of the package, should not be included decrease the interest rate in mortgages and more tax breaks for the middle class?

Ie, more money for the people consumes and leverages the economy.

26. john nbrathwaite

i am an ardent listner here in grenada the carribean my feeling is president obama is doing a goood job to get the american economy going , this could have a significant impact on our economy also here in the carribean i.e lost of jobs in the tourusm sector .people are already suffering

27. Lisa Nowak

Our president is doing great! The stimulus plan unfortunately should be bigger but we will do what we can and then work immediately on the next task. I am with him all the way and I believe the drama is not needed with the controversy going on about it...The United States of America needes to pull together or how is it that we will ever have peace amoung other countries!

28. harold maenhout

are senior citizens going to get a check as they did during the last tax break from gwb? Is the $500 a credit or check?
    Harold

29. Mike, Syracuse NY

FDR took a much more positive tone in a much worse situation. If Obama wants to get people to spend they need confidence. They won't get it from terms like 'disaster'.

30. Carol B., Virginia

Nice point, Daniel G!

31. Mabelline

I love how he answered all reporters questions from Himself !! Unlike bush, he read everything off of a paper.

32. Rolf

Seems like this whole downturn started with fuel prices going sky-high and all the trickle down effects that caused with lay-off in the auto industry and all the industry that supported it, then the housing problems. I think if the govenment took this trillion and subsidised fuel prices for 5 years so we wouldn't pay more than 1.25 a gal and put the rest into the housing problems, this economy would fix it-self.

33. judy-nyc

hello Everyone,
    i thought the President did great–today @ the town hall & tonite in the press conference. His confidence instills confidence & his forcefulness rebutted some of the petty criticisms of the Recovery plan.
    Loved the line at the town hall about the bill not being "perfect...it's coming out of Washington & Congress" ... laughs! And we particularly liked tonite's story about the crumbling school house in S.C.–hmmm, i wonder who that was directed toward? 🙂

34. cassie

I agree that obama is a great salesman, BUT he is NOT telling the whole story, he's like a door to door salesman who sells you something and you don't read the small print in the details when it comes to repaying. THis is the person who said back in November talks to his minons, tell me what to say and I'll sell it.

The reason we're in this mess is because of the government looking the other way when Raines and Johnson were laying the ground for this MESS..

35. Brian Kuhnz

What an unbelievably excellent president. Maybe its the severity of the times, but he really is living up to his campaign promises! Keep up the good work President Obama.
    I just dont have a good feeling about the vote tomorrow! What a HUGE day in history!

36. Miranda

Hey Team:)

Blogger's:)

Hi Mr Gergen 🙂

Anderson Cooper say what?!

Two full hours... ooh people we need to bring our typing on 🙂

Miranda

37. Mike

Interesting point that Obama nearly always refers to the presidency in the first person. He does not say that congress should send legislation to "us" he say send it to "me".

He does not say it is the policy of "this adminstration" as other presidents have, he personalizes it as "my policy".

I am very interested to hear your comments on this recurring theme.

Thanks,
    Mike

38. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Your coverage has been excellent tonight. I'm used to news conferences, but it has been fascinating seeing President Obama's first–prime time–from the White House. I hope the stimulus package moves forward from tomorrow. I'd like to see the real results of passing the bill–especially after the intense debate of these past weeks.

39. Gerri

I don't care how eloquent OBama is . . . that buys nothing nor does it pay my bills.

40. Julia

Hey Ed Rollins, what's the problem with a Republican voting her conscience and not party?

41. Bea

My big concern is that states that take this money will use it in political ways. There's even some talk of the SC governor saying he'll turn it down. How stupid. My home town in SC doesn't have clean drinking water because the pipes have not been maintained. It's brown. The SC gov knows if he answer to the rich folk in the upcountry he doesn't have to worry about rural communities with small populations - or minority communities for that matter.

42. Jacqueline, NY

Mike from Syracuse, what are we going to do with you? President Obama is not placing blame. He is setting the record straight for those who blame him for all the world's ills. And it matters that he does, because to some degree, his level of influence depends upon it.

43. biba

President Obama handled this news conference very well. He knows what he is talking about and he truly cares!

44. Alfredo

What about all the Manufacturing Jobs that made and make America?

How are we going to fix that?????

A question I know many Americans want to know!

45. Virginia

It was so nice to listen to a President that could be understood and seemed to know what he was talking about. I don't think he'll be able to sway the Republicans though. It doesn't seem like you can teach "old dogs new tricks". With cooperation, the country could recover from the past eight years and this financial crisis. But I don't think the President will be able to get cooperation from the Republicans who seem to only listen to Rush Limbaugh!

46. Jana, Indiana

So is President Obama trying to say we are now in a depression? If so that is very scary.

47. jarrod

my fear is with computerized medical records although a good idea but isn't that going to eliminate jobs

48. May from Tennessee

Hello Everyone! Great presidential press conference and outstanding coverage by CNN (as always)...Eliza, I loved the live blog special... thanks so much! I too hope the president continues to reach out to the American people...he really does seem so genuine. I hope he really means it about the oversight though...we can't afford to go through another crisis like this.

49. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Will there be a rerun of his speech?

Yes, there will be rerun after AC program show!

50. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

@Ashley – I strongly agree. Bolstering consumer confidence is an important factor in this economic crisis. The President's balancing of realism and optimism will undoubtedly serve to help, at least in a small way. Quite a shift from the fear tactics of the last administration.

February 9, 2009 at 10:17 pm |