February 9th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/9/09

Want to share your thoughts on Pres. Obama's pitch tonight for the stimulus bill? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Mike, Syracuse NY

I was glad to see CNN ask about a timetable for Afghanistan. I thought he gave a pretty waffling answer. Why can he state we'll be out of Iraq in 16 months, yet not have a timeline for Afghanistan? Both situations depend on progress on the ground.

February 9, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  2. claire-wichita, ks

Good Evening to all–

I agree with Gergen it wasn't terrific, but it was good. He was on his A game earlier in Elkhart, IN. Down to earth, on message, and connecting with his audience.

February 9, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  3. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Keeping them Honest:
    President Obama will not have easy life. After inheriting the chaos established by the incompetence of former President Bush, now face the reaction of conservatives.

February 9, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  4. CLYDE

I'm delighted to see the President roll up his sleevs and dig in, facing problems head on–at the same time giving the appropriate reassurance and calm to the general public. Great leadership skills.

February 9, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  5. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Thanks Brandi! We really do have the best groupies! I look forward to this part of my day...everyday!

February 9, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  6. Donald in VA

Hey Anderson, this man is very remarkable, he doesn't give you 1 liners and states his case.

February 9, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  7. Mary

Obama did well tonight. I found myself finishing his sentences ver batem before he did. Can’t congress sub-divide this stimulus package down into its most germane parts to start with, pass a staggerred stimulus and revisit the problem areas later? i.e. Al Gores global warming monitoring system?

February 9, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  8. Bridget, TX

I've known intellectually that the GOP, Pelosi and some dems are more concerned with the next election than the welfare of the American people, who are losing their homes, jobs and retirement, but listening to John King and Ed Rollins it became so clear. How sad they are more concern with if they'll win the next election rather than whether or not the majority will survive this crisis.

February 9, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  9. Tom of Philly

Hoover, believing in the basic soundness of the economy, felt that it would regenerate spontaneously and was reluctant to extend federal activities.

google herbert hoover, the president that presided over the onset of the depression, this line is in the biography, and is verbatum what mccain said last summer, thank god we elected obama,

February 9, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  10. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Which journalist takes this opportunity to ask Pres. Obama, at his first news conference no less, about the A-Rod steroid issue??

@Ricardo: I agree. That was a wasted question, although, I'm sure that reporter will get his 5 minutes of fame for having the guts to ask it!

February 9, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  11. Belinda

Mike in NY, its not about blame. I see it as explaining that he is working hard to fix a problem that he did not create. That is a fact. Therefore trying to knock him for trying to do something doesn't make sense. And if you are going to talk about spending/tax cuts please remember that Americans voted for his ideas and not his smile.

February 9, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  12. Mike, Syracuse NY

@Vanessa, the TARP bank bailout was passed by the majority of Democrat votes. Most Republicans voted against it. Don't you remember that the first try failed?

February 9, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  13. Loren

I am 31, union laborer from ny. All this talk of rep vs dem gets old. What ever happened to doing what is right for the American people.Sometimes I feel like we are dealing with a buch of children. Stop crying and do the right thing work together. There is no I in "TEAM". Thank You!

February 9, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  14. Ken in NC

Anderson I realized tonight that as long as President Obama takes his messages to the American people his opposition will not be able to put their spin on how they think he will do something. After listening to him you know how and what he desires.

David Gergen is SPOT ON too.

15. Maureen, Georgia

Good evening everyone. Thank God Pres. Obama had that conference & is out on the campaign trail so that people can understand why the stimulus is necessary. The repubs are stuck on getting more tax cuts when most economists say's that more tax cuts won't stimulate more jobs. They're stuck on blocking Pres Obama no matter what he does.

16. Michelle

Candy Crowley just said things I never
    knew was in the stimulus package.It
    sounds very different from what the
    pundits have been saying.

17. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I still say the tax cuts alone are not the answer. Obama cannot force people to spend the tax credit. Like they did with Bush's tax cut, taxpayers will pay off debt instead of buying big screen TVs or SUVs.

18. Mary

Obama did well tonight. I found myself finishing his sentences ver batem before he did. Can’t congress sub-divide this stimulus package down into its most germane parts to start with, pass a staggerred stimulus and revisited the problem areas later? i.e. Al Gores global warming monitoring system?

19. Sidney Dallas,TX

Nice to see David Gergen this evening along with the BET analyst.

20. Brandi bottom of the boot

Ali!!! and his shiny handsome head!!! and the Gergenmeister! in one nite, what a treat!!!! yay me!

21. Nattada, Houston TX

Good evening Anderson, Erica, AC360 crews, and bloggers.

Will there be a rerun of his speech?

Wow, a lot of special guest tonight.

22. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

It's nice that Obama went to the public to address the people, I STILL however am not sure what exactly is on this bill, and I am addicted to the news....*confused*

23. Rikki, Fargo, ND

The economy will grow again. Economies are cyclical and we've gone through recessions before, granted not this bad, but we've seen them before and we bounce back and we will bounce back from this one...it will take time but it will happen.

24. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Oh, John....how I missed the magic map.

I think it's quite a foreign idea to see a President still talking to the people AFTER the election. When was the last time we saw that?

It truly surprises me that Pres. Obama is both idealistic and hopeful about this country while remaining a realist in this dismal economic situation. It's refreshing to have a Pres. with a grounded outlook as well as a positive attitude.

25. Stacy

@Ricardo: I agree. Talk about blowing your moment.

26. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Richaro,
    I think washington post reporter.... I can't remember that name...

27. Glen Up North

Nancy, suggestions of that kind appear often here. It comes down to pure math. Say, out of the 300 million or so Americans, 200 million are above the age of 18 (just for example): $10,000 times 200 million is equal to 2 trillion dollars. That's _more_ than the current bailout, and there would be _no_ guarantee that they wouldn't just save the money instead of buying things with it, or (at the midway point) paying down their debt. For many, their debt is more than $10,000.

28. Gerri

Spending more by government has not worked. Tried by Bush and predecessors. Cut everyone's taxes and we will spend. Cut small businesses taxes and they can rehire layed off workers. Listen to economists . . . not politicians!

29. Michelle Brown in Los Angeles - Love Obama

Hi All:

I am a Democrate, I voted for President Obama, and after the horrid past eight years, Republicans can not say anything to me of value. They screwed up royally,and now need to listen to the American People. We chose President Obama, and we want him to lead.

I loved the presidents delivery and content. I trust him, and you can bet after only approx. 3 weeks in office, that has not changed a bit. For those Republicans that are being butt heads for the sake of being so, remember, at your re-election you will have to pay the piper.

30. Abayomi, Florida

@ Isabel, from Brazil...thanks for staying up...your right, about all having to Retrain, as their always is a need for one to improve on Education, and with all the new GREEN jobs...we do need ReEducation.

Isn't this why we need more money for Education and the Teachers, to redirect America's Economy?

I look for the anaylist to help too.

31. Renee

So if you are unemployed, you get UC and free health care! My health care on 2/1 went up 25%. What incentive will people have to get a job?

32. Jana, Indiana

I just feel like there needs to be accountability as to where all this money is going for.

33. Margaret in OH

I think that President Obama did a good job tonight of more fully explaining what is in the stimulus and what it is supposed to do. I liked when he spoke about economists and what they recommended and the fact that most economists are in support of doing something.

34. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, Erica, Megan, everyone blogging. I agree w David Gergen's pt in post press conf disc Pres. Obama using bully pulpit well. Ed Henry good rept, my sense was Pres got to the pt that this is economically "a full blown crisis." laying out the facts about unemployment increases. I am glad to hear House Repulican leader is reaching out looking for ground for coming together in the House.

35. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

This is a moment, when President Obama tries to regain the impulse after facing constraints because of fiscal irregularities of its indicated the positions of the first step, and an unexpected delay in approval of the package in Congress, where the majority is Democratic.

36. Carol B., Virginia

Hi Anderson, Erica, David & Gang~ Sure we hope this will help fix the economy and reduce stress on families. However, if the plan doesn't work and more people become unemployed, at what point is it a depression???

37. Lauren--NY

Evening, everyone.

I enjoyed the coverage so far; it's great to have so many voices. I always enjoy Soledad O'Brien's input; I think she's brilliant. Good work tonight, guys.

38. Vanessa, TX

WOW...more blogging?! Thanx CNN and AC 360. Hi to all bloggers that didn't join us for the Live Blog during the Pres.Add Good evening to Anderson, randi, Mr Gergen, and AC 360 crew

39. Tom of Philly

I saw more brain activity out of the president in 60 minutes than i did out of the previous administration in 8 years.. We should really add a copy of econ 101 to be dilivered to every household as part of the stimulus some people still dont get it..

40. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

@Nancy...I absolutely agree with the "direct" aid concept. It really makes a lot of sense. After all, WE are the ones that control the economic consumption (poor, working class, and middle class).

February 9, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  41. Karen C

To get my frustration out about things I heard on CNN today:

The president is using the language he uses (characterized dire) because *he's telling the truth* and if he did anything but, it would be all "gotcha" from the press anyway.

Ed Rollins: Obama doesn't lay out *precisely exactly* how 3 million jobs will be saved because, NO ONE can do that. Are you hearing a single republican, like say, McCain, telling us precisely exactly how they will do it? It's not a guarantee, but one is showing us how logically we hope it will work.

February 9, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  42. Mike, Syracuse NY

Funny how Obama campaigned on tax cuts for 95% of Americans, now seems against them.

February 9, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  43. Daniel G

Ed Rollins made a remark I thought was sexist – in responding to President's Obama's Press Conference he made a reference to "two ladies from Maine and Specter" I think Republican Senators. Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe have earned their stripes just like Sen Arlen Specter and they should be afforded the same respect as their male counterparts – he should refer to the male and female senators with the same regard and respect.

February 9, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  44. Dodie from CA

Good evening Anderson and Erica

Resolution To Our Economic Meltdown

1. Create a FEDERAL Bank or federalize all banks that require $ Billions in bailout to decrease interest rates on mortgages, small business loans, etc.

2. Create federal jobs for repairing our infrastructure.

3. Look at what other countries are doing. (China for example just lowered all interest rates for everyone)

4. We do not need $800 billion to accomplish this

February 9, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  45. Mary

Obama did well tonight. I found myself finishing his sentences ver batem before he did. Can't congress sub-divide this stimulus package down into its most germane parts to start with, pass a staggerred stimulus and revisited the problem areas later? i.e. Al Gores global warming monitering system?

Mary
    Georgia

February 9, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  46. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

@Mike Syracruse, NY~ Well, he did inherit this plate full of mess. It is just the truth!

February 9, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  47. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Good evening, Anderson, Erica, and bloggers (Meghan D., Bea, Ashley H., Mike, Glenn, etc.)!

I thought the President did an excellent job and fielded some particularly tough questions. I found myself being constantly reminded of the train-wreck conferences of past years, and becoming even more thankful for our new President.

(Forgive any typos/goofs. I'm falling asleep at my keyboard... 🙂 )

February 9, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  48. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Infrastructure! That's the first thing you learn in history class and there's politicians saying it's too much spending and that it won't do anything? Hmmmm, sounds like some of them didn't pass the class.

February 9, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  49. Regina, Pennsylvania

I think that one reason Americans are skeptical about the "stimulus" bill is the lack of confidence they feel in the ability of the government to help them. This stimulus package comes on the heels of the unfavorably received TARP bill and we all know how that went! On the whole, I think the President delivered just what he wanted, and I find it interesting that comments are being made on the length of the President's answers to reporters' questions. It's refreshing to listen to someone who possess an intelligent mind.

February 9, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  50. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Impatient with the delay of Congress, President Obama made a public ceremony in Indiana and gave the first press conference of his mandate, to try to hasten the approval of a package to stimulate the economy.

February 9, 2009 at 10:07 pm |