February 9th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/9/09

Want to share your thoughts on Pres. Obama's pitch tonight for the stimulus bill? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Gerry W

Hold on to your wallets---a catchy headline, but loaded politically. The people in the media have to start examining their role in reporting since 911. the Iraq war and all the other Bush/Cheney transgressions ,and now this financial crisis.. There is not proper investigative journalism or thoughtful commentary and that is something essential to a functioning democracy.

February 9, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  2. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

good night everyone!!!! See you tomorrow night!!!!

February 9, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  3. Heidi Ann Berg

I want it to pass .It's time that our government spends the money on helping our economy or at lest trying .Would you rather them not ask and spend the money on weapons of mast destruction and other country's ?

February 9, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  4. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Brandi, I have to agree...I find it wonderful that we come off as 'smart' at this time of the evening! 🙂

Ashley..Haha! Oh my goodness that comment made my day! News and good-looking anchors, yay! 🙂

February 9, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  5. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Thanks AC360 for letting us LIVE Blog not only during the show but during Pres. Obama's News Conference.

How can you resist those innocent little octuplets... It's sad that they will live with all this drama for the rest of their lives. Have a great evening. Nite all!

February 9, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  6. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Those poor babies! That is ridiculous!
    Goodnite! XO's

February 9, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  7. Sal

Make a tax cut across the board permanent instead of a one time rebate. That would make people feel more secure and confident.

February 9, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  8. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Whoever set those fires down under, I swear they are going to be put in jail for a long time....it angers me so much that there is someone who finds that a fun thing to do. AHHHGG!

February 9, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  9. Richard

Obama was competent, cool and informative, if somewhat long winded, but it is a very complex issue. What was up with the Helen Thomas question about who in the ME is nuclear armed? Was she trying to trap him into saying Pakistan and Israel? I suspect he knew the answer but saw no point in discussing.

February 9, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  10. Jay

I have a simple question that no reporter asked: If only 107 billion of this plan is going to be spent this year, what is the rush of passing those items that are going to hit in 2010 + 2011, all within 2 weeks?

Also, why am I being taxed, so that I can pay for these items:
    -Digital TV coupons: I didn’t realize the constitution stated a right for everybody to have HDTV?
    -National Endowment for the arts? If your art is good, people will buy it.
    -Hybrid cars for the government? Gas is cheap now, if it saves money over regular cars, then sure – but clearly that is not the case right now. Why spend money on this today?
    -Why give money to states that have not budgeted properly and now need it? Why not give them loans instead? Why am I paying for another states financial mismanagement that I don’t live in and cant vote in?

How is any of the above truly"stimulus", and need to be passed right away?

February 9, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  11. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Talk about selling your children! This woman should be ashamed of herself. She obviously was looking for attention when she had all of these kids.

February 9, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  12. jane

I thought Pres. Obama did a great job making a further case for the "stimulus package" to be passed. Why is it not logical to Republicans for the Federal Government to be involved in our public schools, especially when there is such a gross disparity in the wealth and educational resources of each individual state. Saying education belongs to the states and individual school boards is not sound thinking but an inability to accept responsibility for equal education opportunities in America.

February 9, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  13. Miranda

Anderson-

Im not sure I understand...how the banks received 350 billion dollars and then the banks/government lost it...lost track of it and or the bank account numbers that it was deposited into...

Was there no track record paper or otherwise of the transactions that took place with the first 350 billion dollars Anderson?

Miranda

February 9, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  14. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Cases of steroids and drugs in sports.
    These things disappoint you all!

February 9, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  15. Bea

I have no idea why people care so much about a first lady who simply parrots her husband's ideas. Laura Bush did the same thing and was so popular. I don't get it. I like the first lady but put zero credence in any policy statements.

February 9, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  16. Michelle

Is there any chance of the Obama administration
    getting the banks to have an across the board
    interest rate for loans and credit cards?I think if
    consumers could have 2 years of not having to
    pay credit cards and build assets they might go
    out and spend.

February 9, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  17. David, Indiana

On bipartisanship the President is building a relationship w Republicans. He has to tho' "drive the bus" as Campbell Brown was saying earlier and not just with Dems, but for the country as he sees it as President., and reach out at the same time. Seems like he had the right emphasis tonight. Personally, my own view I would like to have the R party with me more but that's me. I feel great about how he did tonight.

February 9, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  18. Vanessa Hale-WV

WOW we have alot of Vanessa's on here. Do the rest of you love AC as much as I?

Seriously, why can't they show us exactly where all of this money by using an accounting ledger that can be posted online for us all to see!
    And who cares about steroids or some crazy lady having 20 kids I am sick of hearing ridiculous stories!

19. Ruby Coria, L.A. CA.

Hi Anderson & 360 crew, President Obama, has the brains to make this work, it's funny to see the ones who started this mess calling foul. I just hope that the package does not pay for stuff like `that women having 8 kids on top of her 6..

20. Beth

President Obama's speech was right on the mark. Intelligent, straightforward, and necessary.
    As many have said, thank goodness he is our president. We need this package NOW!

I just wish someone would ask why education funding is called pork. Sad state of affairs when education is bottom of the list.

21. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

While Michael Phelps is getting trashed all over the media for his drug incident, people like "A-Fraud" are merely getting slaps on the wrists.

22. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

A-Rod...what a scum bag. And what a waste of a question for that reporter to ask Obama about A-Rod!

23. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Studio Webcam died for me!
    And WEBCAST during commercials not appeared, today!

24. claire-wichita, ks

Darn Right we need accountability, Wall Street, Washington and yes, even Main Street. As much as I hate to admit it, our lack of involvement in government and policy is one reason we are here. So we can point the finger at the politicans, but it points back at us too.

25. Jose Antonio Diaz

It's amazing to me that we don't realize that this isn't a joke! Our Country can be lost in the next 60-80 years! The challenges we are facing are grave!

The President is trying hard and with all the Pork stuff etc; enough is enough!! We just need to watch very, very, very well where the money is going! I'm try to open my own business that will generate millions of jobs. So if we keep slacking on pasting the stimulus package that is needed to move forward...we are all to blame for the fall of our Nation.

And if Loans are given for Auto Loans those providers better make sure this isn't money to be blow away! Don't just sale that cars to sales. If cough fine dealers strongly. Cause if buyers lose their job some will neglect paying the car loans. So thats why we need to watch where our money is going. We will have to pay this back in the years ahead or the United States. Our Countries value of respect and hope is being watched and tested by the world. God Bless our Country!

26. Mike, Syracuse NY

@Ken, we have spent no where near $3 trillion on both wars.

27. Chika

He speaks with so much passion and sincerity that I can't help believing in him. He has my support 100%.

28. Carol B., Virginia

@Betty Ann- Good talking points 🙂 Don't forget also that the Prez placed 3 Republicans in his cabinet. Have a good night all!

29. Linda

President Obama is doing an excellent job considering he had to hit the ground running and jumping hurdles from day one of his presidency. I think the Bush Administration should be prosecuted for the horrific job they did and the mess that he and his croonies left. Seriously someone should be made to serve time for putting this country in the economic tornado that we are dealing with. Why are they allowed to get away with it? Money was just given to the banks with no rules or regulations as to how it was to be spent (by the Bush Administration). I bet he (Bush) is not worrying about where his next pay check is coming from! This is so sad.

30. treyc

I can't belive that congess wants to cut the educaion out of this bill. If we the people are barowing this money from (basicly are kids) We better give them the best education that we can! If we are sticking them with the bill. They better be a heck of alot smarter then us. We don't want them running around with there heads cut off like us not really knowing what to do or how we got in this mess. If we short change are kids education we are only short changing the future of are country!

31. Praf Dave

We import over thousands of IT professionals from overseas on H1 visa. These are high paying jobs. Why not H1 visa should be freezing when companies laying off American professional? Why not to send back H1 visa holders when we don't have shortage of IT professionals?This will regain high paying American jobs for American people immediately. This will not cost anything to government and thousands of American will be back job, pay their tax and spend money in America – not sending back India, China or Europe. Why not it is a part of stimulation package?

February 9, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  32. Wendy Ontario, Canada

Just imagine how much trouble the Country would be in if McCain was President! Scary thought, you all should be very proud, you made an awsome choice electing President Obama. I don't think there is anyone better suited to handle all the issues. Support him, let the Senate know that you are behind him & things will work out.

February 9, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  33. Bea

Could CNN explain what the "Toxic assets" are. I know in general, but are they mortgages that are really upside down in a big way or securities on those mortgages that are worth nothing or securities on those securities or what?

February 9, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  34. Bridget, TX

@Vanessa, I think the president understands the scope of the problem and actually empathize with those who are suffering and will suffer before it's over, but I don't believe he's overwhelmed.

February 9, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  35. Vance Jeannet

Where was Alex when republicans were spending billions, running up our national debt under a republican controlled house, senate, and white house? The minute the democrats control all three the attitude changes. If you didn't mind it nor complained about it for the last eight years then shut shut the hell up about the new administration trying to fix it.

February 9, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  36. Keneshia

"aren’t we creating another recession and if children and grandchildrenare going to pay this what that say about our retirment years" Jarrod

Your children and grandchildren won't be able to support you as you have been able to do for your parents. We won't ever have any extra money–we don't even have it now.

February 9, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  37. Luis

It seems easy for politicians, republican or democrat, to wantonly spend other people's money...It's just fustrating. The solution seems so clear. Jobs are created by people with ideas and people with existing businesses. If you "let" the individual worker keep 100% of their federal income tax on a weekly bases, then they'd have more to spend and provide for themselves, even help friends and neighbors as i have done. Therefore, business will get more revenue because people have more of THEIR money for which to spend it with. Then, provided that taxes are not out of control on business, business can then re-invest that increased revenue on themselves to expand and HIRE more people. Where does this line of reasoning falter, provided that the necessary and sufficient regulations and oversights are implemented to protect the individual? We are all individuals by the way.

February 9, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  38. Glen Up North

Lynne, where did you get the number $133,000 that you would suggest be given to each American man, woman and child? I multiply that by 300 million (actually, I think the current number of American citizens is 350 million) and I get $4 trillion. That's _five_ times the amount of the current economic stimulus package. Did I miscalculate something?

39. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

EJ – Don't give them any ideas!

40. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

EJ~I don't think I could stand a reality show with Angelina's look alike and her 16 kids. So trashy! lol

41. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

That octuplet chick is starting to hit a nerve in my brain that says, "ha, ha,ha,ha,ha,...." She's going to get her children taken away and everyone is going to be more sorry for them than the mother. as the news junkie I am, there were multiple reports about her wanting to fill a void in her life by having so many children. I wish she could do something a little more healthier for herself than putting her body at risk. It's almost like she wants to hurt herself like a masochist to get attention.

42. Mike Gilmore

I get a real kick reading the "love" you people have for Obama and the hate you have for Bush. You blame Bush for everything and never look at all the aspects that caused this big problem.
    I believe that when this stimulus plan fails in about two years, you folks will hate Obama because you believed and loved him so much. Never trust or believe in any politician! This bill will pile so much more debt on top of the debt that Bush ran up in his stupid war, will be the end of the US as we know it.

43. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Funny thing is Obama was part of a team that forced banks to give high risk loans to people who could not afford them so he helped create this problem.

44. Sidney Dallas,TX

@Fred – Washington PA Does anyone notice (or care) that Obama NEVER looks at the camera? I know the teleprompters are on the sides, but I’m curious why he never makes eye contact with the TV audience

No I don't care, but I do care about getting this T.A.R.P. mess right.

45. marydth

While we wait for the President, Congress, anyone to do something about our economy we should also take a close look at ourselves. One of my family members told their daughter she would have to join the military (and take a chance on not being sent to war) if she wants to go to college. As they told her this, I looked out at their 5 4 Wheeler, RV, 5th wheel trailer, boat, and various other toys. They are a middle income family who purchased these items by refinancing their home again and again. Priorities people please! I think many people got sucked into the "Paris Hilton" lifestyle.

46. Cessy, Chicago

Goodnight, everybody! See you all tomorrow! Be safe!

47. Lauren--NY

David Gergen, thanks for joining us. Your input is incredibly valuable–yes, I agree with all of those adjectives to describe our president.

Leslie, I understand your cynicism, but if this bill doesn't pass the dollar is going to drop like a rock and we're going to have a repeat of 1929–we're already extraordinarily close. We cannot risk that.

Great coverage, CNN–though I wish Soledad hadn't left. I love her input and think she's unique and brilliant.

48. Rikki, Fargo, ND

'Consumer spending is what got us into this mess.'....Probably the most regretted statement in the whole news conference.

49. vanessa from silver spring, MD

I love that everyone is there tonight talking about the President's speech in the 360 studio. It reminds me of Election night and the nights of the debates. It great to hear from everyone.

When I heard the question being asked about something Joe Biden said, I was like here we go again, what did Joe say? I guess people are use to this, but I really didn't know who Joe Biden was until 2 years ago, but I hope that I have 8 years of getting use to him as VP:)

50. Sharon Smith

I am so tired of the News Media always chastizing, their negativity and asking such dumb questions. As for all the so-called "expert analyst" opnions, I notice they are quick to chastize, but never give an option to cure this poor economy. Remember, the news media is not immune to layoffs either.....

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13