February 9th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/9/09

Want to share your thoughts on Pres. Obama's pitch tonight for the stimulus bill? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Randi Kaye's webcast during the commercials. She's filling in for Erica. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes Betty Ann...
    He is good job at news conference tonight!!!

February 9, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  2. Belinda

Republicans are acting as if they won the election and that the President should beg to work with them. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Shouldn't they be trying to find common ground as well or don't they care?

February 9, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  3. Sidney Dallas,TX

I got your shout out Esma, I'm from Indianapolis, IN but now live in Texas. I'm hoping things get better in Indiana soon.

February 9, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  4. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

The visit to Indiana was an opportunity for President Obama defend economic package as if it were in campaign, which for a populist president is very interesting.

February 9, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  5. Rebecca

Anderson good evening and the coverage of the first public address by Obama was phenominal. Thanks for asking the questions all Americans wanted to ask.

February 9, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  6. Rikki, Fargo, ND

You know Mary...I said the same thing while I was watching the news conference too! 🙂 Its refreshing!

February 9, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  7. Brandi bottom of the boot

k, i know its off topic, but i think the bloggers here need a little kudos! this site has the best groupies!!!!

Hi Ashley, Megan, EJ, Jacqueline, Casey J, Rikki!!!!

February 9, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  8. Stacy

Pres. Obama did a good job tonight and some good questions from the press, including CNN's own Ed Henry.

February 9, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  9. Abayomi, Florida

I know we are all scared of the number in this money...$$$$$...but it's also unpresidented times. I believe with the team that President Obama has in place, and the fact that, HE DOESN'T WANT TO LOOSE, So I am sure he will burn the nite candle for the Sake of the Success of all this MONEY.

February 9, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  10. Lori from IL

Good evening Anderson and Fellow Bloggers.

I thought President Obama did a good job tonight. I like the fact that he's traveling the country, listening to "main street" and breaking out of "the bubble."

February 9, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  11. Renee

In FL our economy is housing! He has said nothing about housing including stability and construction. Obama is heading into Republican territory tommorrow. Local news is harping on the fact that Obama did not invite the Republicans to his event tommorrow. Doesn't sound like unity?

February 9, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  12. Bridget, TX

Anderson,
    I watched the press conference with family and friends and I have to say it was interesting to learn , they all knew your panel of analysts. CNN has certainly come a long way with the average television viewer.

February 9, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  13. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

I especially enjoyed his "conference" from Indiana today–talking to the crowds. It's refreshing to have the President talk to us like in a way we can understand as well as with respect, and be extremely eloquent (unlike some previous presidents).

February 9, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  14. Ricardo

Just a quick question:
    Which journalist takes this opportunity to ask Pres. Obama, at his first news conference no less, about the A-Rod steroid issue??
    Was there nothing else more important that the so called reporter could have asked about?

February 9, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  15. Vanessa Hale-WV

I am so suprised the Republicans are giving the President such a hard time. How can the Republicans bail out banks (crooks) and not help people like me. I lost my job after 15 years! Please Congress Senators are we not all Americans, politicians need to understand we are hurting, I cannot for the first time in my life, figure out how I will feed my 3 kids, much less send them to college. I lost so much money in my 401 K I am so sick of all of this crap.

February 9, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  16. Sue of Bethlehem

Why Elkhart? Obama, Anderson, we can top their unemployment number. You are welcome to come to our house in Bethlehem, PA, where our unemployment rate is 50% (oh, and we're looking at college tuition in 2010.) Rescue us!

February 9, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  17. Alfredo

I am the Manager of a Staffing Company and all I do is try to find people jobs… We need to do something fast!

February 9, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  18. Pablo

President Obama should be aware that the concept of the unions is as good as the concept of communism and that both carry similar results.
    He might look at history for answers, but the only chance for success will come from innovative solutions. Trying to implement the solutions used before will only yield the conditions we currently have.

February 9, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  19. Michelle

President Obama is showing true leadership skills.

February 9, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  20. Bonnie Crawford

Good evening Anderson & Ericka. It's encouraging to see that President Obama has genuine concern for the American people and getting them back to work. I admire his efforts to continue to reach out to Republicans for bipartisanship.

February 9, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  21. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Interesting coverage of the speech tonight.

February 9, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  22. doug

If republicans & democrats don't work together now, there won't be a 2010 election to worry about. Our country will not survive as we know it if politicians keep playing games, America must come first.

February 9, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  23. Mike, Syracuse NY

I'm getting tired of Obama blaming others by repeating that he 'inherited' this situation. He campaigned for this job for 2 years. Now he has it, warts and all. A true leader doesn't try to assess blame, heor she rolls up their sleeves and fixes the problems. He seems to be playing on fear, rather than the hope which was his campaign theme.

February 9, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  24. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hi Eliza!!!
    Thanks for wonderful live blog Presidental News Conference Live blog!!! It is so fun to join blogging!!!

February 9, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  25. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Hey everyone! Didn't President Obama do a super job!

February 9, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  26. Esma

Hey, everyone! I'd like to give a shout out to all of my fellow Hoosiers on the blog: we have taken over the national news, but I wish it was under less dire circumstances. But, I'd like to say that I am even more Probama than when I voted for him, and that I am still in awe of the intellect and honesty of the press conference (something that was locked away for the past 8 years), and I appreciate the professorial nature of his answers, as opposed to being spoken to as if I'm in Kindergarten.

February 9, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  27. Brandi bottom of the boot

i agree with Pres. Obama that tax cuts cant solve the economic problems.

February 9, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  28. Mary from Florida

Hi Anderson and bloggers. How refreshing to hear a President who can actually put a sentence together and answer a question in a coherent way.

February 9, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  29. Abayomi, Florida

Weekend was great but great to be back to talk about getting America back...too many weeping in the wallow of this misery. We want to work, please help.

February 9, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  30. Karen C

I thought if you want to hear a logical progression of how one hopes you can help the economy, President Obama just did it. If you prefer to just blindly yammer on that "it's Pork" and rile up your base, listen to someone like Shelby. I know which one gives me more comfort. I mean, he was totally, logically laying it out. On the other hand, you have Steele telling ABC on Saturday "those aren't jobs, they're work". Um, huh? "Private jobs will always be there", umm Yeah, like they are right now. Nothing is *always* there. So, logic = Obama, crazy stick to your guns ideology = most republicans.

February 9, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  31. nancy

why can't every american over the age of 18 be given, say, $10,000? put the money in our pockets–we can pay our mortgages, and everytime we buy something we pay taxes...replenishing the treasury instead of further depleting it...

February 9, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  32. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Those who lose their jobs must go through training and retraining. Only then can find another activity and take a new wave in modern competitive labor market. The unemployed can’t be expecting new opportunity to occupy the same place he occupied before the resignation, because that same wave, or better, that function may cease to exist. Whoever wants to return to the labor market should recycle, seeking a place in another area or branch of activity, it is essential, it must be prepared.

February 9, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  33. Belinda

Hi all! The press conference was good. He had to teach people a few things tonight!

February 9, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  34. Jacqueline, NY

Greetings All!

February 9, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  35. Alfredo

What about all the Manufacturing Jobs that made and make America?

How are we going to fix that?

A question I know many Americans want to know!

February 9, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  36. Greg, Austin Tx

Great press conference coverage CNN. And it's a treat seeing John back at the Magic Map again.

February 9, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  37. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I didn't realize that you guys had started a new blog! We had some interesting discussions on the earlier one.

February 9, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  38. Sidney Dallas,TX

I thought he really explained in great detail his thoughts on how this economic plan will stimulate the economy. I was really impressed.

February 9, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  39. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Good Monday Cooper, Hill, Gergen, correspondents, contributers, staff, crew, and team!

Happy evening all Bloggers (Rikki, Megan, Brandi, EJ...)

I thought Pres. Obama gave a magnificent speech.

February 9, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  40. Jacqueline, NY

(Fingers Crossed) Does one of your tech-savvy treats include AC360 live stream on PC?

February 9, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  41. Brandi bottom of the boot

goodevening all. didnt catch all of the President's speech. trying to catch what i missed. lol

February 9, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  42. Abayomi, Florida

Goodeve Anderson, Erica, the Crew of the TOTAL News for us All...looking for a great one tonite.

February 9, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo Anderson, CNN Panels, David Gergen, Brandi, Michelle D, Rikki, Ashley, Pati, Minou, Chris S, Glen, David in IN and best bloggers!!!!
    Welcome to Post conference tonight!!!! Hope you have great weekend!!

February 9, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Ken in NC

Good evening Anderson, Erica and all BLoggers. Thanks Anderson to all the CNN people for the great job on the Presidential Press Confrence tonight. You guys are the BPTOTV

February 9, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  45. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

I hope President Obama keeps taking his "show" on the road to the American Consumers–four the next four years. It's a smart move, talking directly to voters and obtaining "buy-in" from average folks. Why has nobody figured this method out before (outside of the election trail)? He's an excellent communicator.

February 9, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Bridget, TX

Evening Anderson, the CNN team and extra guests and fellow bloggers. Great press conference by the president.

February 9, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good evening all! Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend! I really enjoyed the press conference tonight and the coverage from the best political team on television!

February 9, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Hi, Anderson, AC360 team and bloggers!

Hi, Eliza! Your Live Blog Special was great!

Evening for everyone!

February 9, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Bea

Hello folks. Obama did a good job tonight I think.

February 9, 2009 at 10:00 pm |