February 6th, 2009

What's in the $780 billion stimulus?

Editor's Note: This information came from a source in a Republican Senate office that took part in the negotiations.

Joe Johns
AC360° Correspondent

MORE THAN $43 BILLION IN TRANSPORTATION INFRASTRUCTURE INVESTMENTS

$27 BILLION FOR HIGHWAY, ROAD AND BRIDGE INVESTMENTS

$8.4 BILLION FOR PUBLIC TRANSIT INVESTMENT

$2 BILLION FOR HIGH SPEED RAIL

$1.3 BILLION FOR FAA AIRPORT IMPROVEMENT FACILITIES AND EQUIPMENT

$850 MILLION FOR AMTRAK

$250 MILLION FOR GRANTS TO STATES FOR INVESTMENT IN HIGH SPEED AND INNER CITY PASSENGER RAIL

$100 MILLION TO MARITIME ADMINISTRATION FOR ASSISTANCE TO SMALL SHIPYARDS

MORE THAN $76.8 BILLION IN EDUCATION INVESTMENTS

$39 BILLION FOR STATE FISCAL RELIEF TARGETED DIRECTLY FOR EDUCATION

$13.9 BILLION FOR PELL GRANTS

$13.5 BILLION FOR SPECIAL EDUCATION FUNDING - This would bring the federal government closer to the promised 40 percent of the national average per pupil expenditure for every child in special education. This will help relieve the increasing burden at the local level to cover the rising costs of special education, and allow districts the flexibility to retain support staff and teachers in the classrooms where they are so desperately needed.

$10.4 BILLION FOR TITLE I– The additional investment in Title I is a critical investment towards children in poverty. As more and more children are classified as poor during this economic downturn, this substantial additional investment will help local school districts ensure that their academic needs are being met.

ENVIRONMENT

$6.4 BILLION FOR WATER AND SEWER INFRASTRUCTURE

MORE THAN $3 BILLION FOR JOB TRAINING

$3.25 BILLION FOR WORKFORCE INVESTMENT PROGRAMS

$160 MILLION FOR JOB CORPS

HEALTHCARE

$87 BILLION IN TEMPORARY AND TARGETED MEDICAID RELIEF TO STATES

Leading economists have found that targeted aid of this sort will generate increased economic activity of $1.36 for every $1 spent. Moreover, with unemployment up, the number of people who are eligible for Medicaid also rises. Increasing the federal investment in Medicaid will shore up the safety net for those vulnerable families.

HOUSING

$5 BILLION FOR SUPPLEMENTAL GRANTS TO PUBLIC HOUSING AUTHORITIES FOR CAPITAL NEEDS

ENERGY

$4.7 BILLION FOR STATE AND LOCAL ENERGY EFFICIENCY BLOCK GRANTS

$4.4 BILLION FOR SMART GRID to improve the reliability of electricity transmission grid

$2.9 BILLION FOR WEATHERIZATION PROGRAMS

$2 BILLION FOR ADVANCED BATTERY MANUFACTURING

$7 BILLION FOR LOAN GUARANTEES FOR STANDARD RENEWABLES

HOMELAND SECURITY

$800 MILLION FOR CONSTRUCTION OF PORTS OF ENTRY

$500 MILLION FOR FIREFIGHTERS ASSISTANCE GRANTS

SCIENCE

$1.2 BILLION FOR NATIONAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION

Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Economy • Joe Johns • Raw Politics
  1. Rosa Aguilu

Can someone look into how many households we have in this country based on the US Census and add a million dollars to each household to the stimulus package. I think that will get the economy going. I bet it will be a lot smaller than the millions given to the banking industry.

February 7, 2009 at 9:05 am |
  2. Lisa Ray

Again,I have read this thourghly and MY family will benefit from nothing,we are HARD WORKING LOW CLASS PERSONS, Where is our Governments HEADS? I know, We can not live in Public Housing,We CANNOT qualify for Weatherizatons,We do not work for Government,I guess we could work in a SHIP Yard,but in Tennesse that would be very hard,No HELP FOR US WITH Multiple Sclerosis,or other CHRONIC DISEASES,The Crisis facing OUR COUNTRY is our GOVERNMENT.SO here we GO again for Another FOUR YEARS OF NOTHING,ah we could all be like Angline Jolie and just worry about People in OTHER COUNTRIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

February 7, 2009 at 9:04 am |
  3. Pete

How does this help me? I took a new job with 60% less pay to ensure health care for my children/wife. Now I am going into my savings at $2500/month to pay mortgage/bills over and above my current earnings.
    Where is the lower middle class relief? Looks like my only option is to stop paying my mortgage to keep my reserves.

Pete

February 7, 2009 at 9:04 am |
  4. ruth wayne

this is my first comment to you. MY son, in Scottsdale,AZ lost his job in Oct. There is no work to be had.GMAC will not speakl with him. There is already one empty home on the street. How can this stimulus package help this family? A sleepless mother in Florida!

February 7, 2009 at 9:03 am |
  5. ruthwayne

I am a sleepless 80 yr old, whose son inScottsdale,Az has lost his job, cannot find any work. GMAC will not talk to him re mortgage!!How has this plan helped this family? Is this going to be another empty forclosed home?

February 7, 2009 at 9:00 am |
  6. william , Oregon

None of this money should go to any State where Senators voted against it. Better yet the Senators should put their money where their mouth is and refuse money offered to their states. Any benefit would need to just trickle down.

February 7, 2009 at 9:00 am |
  7. Judy

My concern for this bill is how the funds will be managed. The bill should be meant to create jobs. No company should be rewarded a government contract that does not include information on US employment. This information would include the number of new employees, number of current employees, types of jobs, and pay schedule.
    None of the funds should be paid to companies outside of the United States.
    In my opinion, the TARP funds were poorly managed and many people still lost jobs. Many people have lost their savings.
    I would like a job managing the funds.

February 7, 2009 at 8:59 am |
  8. Kelly

On a 'stimulus' bill I would think the test is how does this stimulate jobs for Americans–as it is being touted to do. Reading through some of these I fail to see how they create -'stimulate'- jobs. This looks like the same old, same old with a larger price tag.
    Much like the bail out is supposed to 'stimulate' the economy and is doing no such thing.

February 7, 2009 at 8:54 am |
  9. Tim Caver

What about the HealthCare IT bill which provides funding for Physicians to adopt Electronic Health Records?

February 7, 2009 at 8:50 am |
  10. Scott A

I see little here in terms of jobs in the immediate future. Infrastructure improvements take a year or more to get off the ground as to approvals from local and state agencies. This is spending not stimulus for 2009. This is also not bi-partisan with only 2 to 4 republicans signing on. Plus you have some democrats who will vote no. This is still not what the people need. We need tax relief through a reduction payroll taxes and immediate tax reduction for business owners so they can use their net income and reinvest in growing their business and hire more people. Spending is not stimulus.

February 7, 2009 at 8:49 am |
  11. Art

Where is the help for Senior Citizens? They plan on giving $1000 to working families, I guess we just don't count.

February 7, 2009 at 8:43 am |
  12. rr

You have got to be kidding....How is this going to help unemployed???
    This is not a bailout! Not for any of us americans. This is a joke!
    This is all their pet projects!
    SEND THIS MONEY TO US THE TAXPAYERS..LET US BAIL OURSELVES OUT!!!!
    SENATORS AND CONGRESS..LISTEN!!! WE THE PEOPLE NEED THIS MONEY......NOT YOUR PET PROJECTS!!!!!

February 7, 2009 at 8:37 am |
  13. Michael C. McHugh

Speaking of keeping them honest....Almost all of the Republicans are going to vote against the stimulus, but how much are their home states going to get out of it? Maybe CNN should look into that. I'm especially interested in all these South states like Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, etc, where the average white voter is so unfriendly to the Obama administration. You can bet they'll all be lined up for a share of this money.

So their Senators and representatives are phonies who get to have it both ways. They get to tell the folks back home they opposed the terrible liberals while they all still get to feed out of the public trough.

February 7, 2009 at 8:33 am |
  14. KLN

What about the homebuyer tax credit?

February 7, 2009 at 8:27 am |
  15. Dave

What about the National Instititues of Health? On Friday, there was $10 billion in the bill for medical research jobs.

February 7, 2009 at 8:25 am |
  16. Ray Mazzarella

I am looking at this and I don't see any mention of an extension to the 26 weeks of unemployment compenstion. I heard earlier that there would be a 33 week extension.

Also, where are the tax cuts? Is the Alternative Minimum Tax still intact or did they eliminate that for middle class taxpayers?

Is ther any reduction in the tax rate schedule for middle income taxpayers? Any rebate? Any increase in the exemptions or the tax breaks for children?

Please respond.

February 7, 2009 at 8:24 am |
  17. Vickie

Are they nuts, i do not see a thing that would help someone who just lost there job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just the same old crap!!!!! Why should I pay any more taxes???? Look where our taxes go......no more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 7, 2009 at 8:23 am |
  18. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

'The stimulus package is not perfect', says President Obama.

For me, a lay, the package looks pretty comprehensive, although not perfect, but what I hear most is exactly the opposite.

Anderson and Joe,
    Although not perfect, you (personally) believe that the package will minimize the current problems?

February 7, 2009 at 8:12 am |
  19. Allen P

The President has been working very hard to get bipartisonship to work... I don't fon't for believe the other side of the aisle are sincere as they would have the american public believe. The fact is, prescious time is passing and people are losing their jobs by the day... Let's get it done like yesterday.

February 7, 2009 at 7:58 am |
  20. Jane

Did they take out the $15k for home buyers???

February 7, 2009 at 7:52 am |
  21. yoni

The above only adds up to less than $300 billion. How about the rest $500 billion ? Further, $76.8 billion out of $300 billion is put into the category of "Education investments", which is not very informative. Can we please raise the level of journalism here...... and shed light with a more thorough breakdown

February 7, 2009 at 7:48 am |
  22. Don

Is the $15000 tax credit for home purchases included or not?

February 6, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  23. Ted (New Jersey)

Will the different categories (Environment, Education, Infrastructure Investments, etc) of the stimulus package be phased in at different times or will all of the categories be implemented at once? Please advise.

Thanks,

Ted

February 6, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  24. John F Jenso

I see a lot of pork in the BILL that should not be in there.I see that a CG cutter was cut. That would bea plus as to add jobs right away. What or how many jobs will the National Science Foundationproduce?

February 6, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  25. Elsa Martinez

It's a little to too late don't you think for the Republicans to be speaking out against righting what was wrong under their watch. They should have spoken out against the Bush administration that created this mess and stood up for what was right for all American people. But their pockets are overflowing right now so there is no immediate urgency for them. President Obama needs to get this package signed. Period. It's nice that he wants to include the Republicans but he needs to keep in mind that when the Republicans controlled both houses, they didn't extend their hands across the aisle to the Democrats. They did what they wanted. They effectively raped everything that the Constitution stands for. Now, they sit there and cry and attack President Obama who is trying to give credibility back to our government and dignity to the average American. After what the Bush administration has done, that will be a monumental task. It's time to do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

February 6, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  26. ryan

score: stimulus 10 middle-class 0 game over. what about investing in millions for hearing aids. that way every politician can be outfitted with a set and then maybe they can hear what the public has to say about it.

February 6, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  27. kim

did the stinulus package include unployment?

February 6, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  28. Lilarose in Bandon, Oregon

Is there ANYTHING for the millions of low-income seniors, especially women, who are trying to live on social security???????

February 6, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  29. lily

When someone said the stimulus package is not working, it's because he or she has a job.

February 6, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  30. Kathy Weathers

Perhaps the Government and large corporate conventions should switch to Go2meeting .com instead of networking and meeting in a convention mecca such as Las Vegas. The $5 million saved could then be sent to the unemployment offices to support those who no longer work in Vegas, FL or any other destination resort that depends upon conventions for their existence.

February 6, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  31. Jim - from Chicago

Was there any mention of a Stimulas check ,like we got last year?

February 6, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  32. John Gill

the only problem with these spending appropriations is that they languish in bureaucracy and the monies are not distributed in a brisk fashion that would be stimulative in the timeframe we need them. Just ask the folks in the Miss. and LA gulf coast still waiting for their home re-building grants 3 years after Katrina.

February 6, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  33. Rose Mauro

What happened to the $15,000 real estate tax credit that would have revived the housing market!!

February 6, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  34. bill griff

where int the bill is they any help for us baby boomers who lost ther ejobs and can't retire because the people we help(banks) lost our 401 k money who going hire us older folk the bill itself is going put the consstruction trades people at less they did not take the extended unemployment money ot

February 6, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  35. Esmeralda Figueroa

Can somebody please break down and explain how cutting taxes like the republicans want will help the economy. Also, how the democrats version of economics (spending) is gonna help the economy. Frankly, I don't understand either one.

February 6, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  36. Carol A. Nixdorf

What about people receiving private pensions and social security. What will they be getting?

February 6, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  37. Chad Pica

Why don't these finanial genious' choose a place to have their 'financial thinktanks' like smalltown America where the cashflow of their Divine prescence can have the greatest impact? Las Vegas? I sit corrected, there's no money there, how foolish of me.

February 6, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  38. Laura

What happened to the tax credit for home buyers?

February 6, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  39. Paul in Texas

What I don't get is:

1. Why isn't foreclosure relief spelled out in this bill?
    2. Why doesn't infrastructure spending account for at least half of this gargantuan bill?

If I had line-item veto power, I'd:

1. Cut the grants for the NSF
    2. Cut AmTrak funding (one of the most underperforming government entities, ever)
    3. Cut the Medicaid allocation in half

And if I could restructure the overall budget, I'd:

1. Cut bloated defense spending
    2. Reallocate more funds to high speed/inner city rail

More than anything, I'm concerned that this stimulus bill is only the tip of the iceberg. How in the bleep are we ever going to pay this off? Can you even imagine the interest payments on this debt?

February 6, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  40. cecilia rahner

Go Obama! Education needs this infusion!

February 6, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  41. Karen McGillivray

Can there money in there for rebuilding the Louisiana wet lands. If they don't and New Orleans is hit again Katrina will look like a mere dust storm. Baton Rouge will be beach front property.

February 6, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  42. Tony Hope

Hello,

Is the $15k tax credit for homebuyers still in the stimulus bill?

Thanks,
    T Hope

February 6, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  43. duff carpenter

you just showed a clip of pres. obama letting the senate know that they are there to work for the people of america, they were sent there to represent the american public. Truthfully I have never felt so un or mis represent in my life. I have tried to get involved and call my US rep and my US senators since the bank bailout in Sept. Only to be left angered to the point of dis-belief. I have pushed hard to let my elected officials know that "I have no problem with taxation! all I want is a little representation! to go with it!"

February 6, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  44. victoria Greene

I am finding it so offense that many of your invited guests refer
    to President Obama , as OBAMA..... never did I hear people
    just saying " Bush this , Bush that...... How about some respect
    for this man who worked so hard to get where he is today.
    Thank you. Victoria Greene

February 6, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  45. Ron Lally

What happened with Head Start and Early Head Start? The moderate gang had proposed to cut the stimulus 50%. Did that happen?

February 6, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  46. puzzled

If congress wants to stimulate the economy then the focus should be toward business and industry. If companies are thriving then they will hire and their workers will spend. This should also include tax cuts for businesses. If businesses didn't have to pay so much in payroll taxes on the state and federal levels, they could pay higher salaries and provide better healthcare for workers. I'm also disappointed that they're not addressing the mortgage crisis in the stimulus package to prevent homeowners from losing their homes. Funds for the items listed above should come from their respective cabinet departments.

February 6, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  47. nancy poe

Since job creation is the basis of any real economic recovery, where in the stimulus bill is the tax credit for corporations that bring their manufacturing plants back to the U.S. and the removal of the existing tax breaks for them to move to other countries?

February 6, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  48. Rolonda

Looks like some of the fat has been trimmed...I think this looks much better. I am wondering, though, if something will be added for homeowners...will that be in a separate bill?

February 6, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  49. PATRICIA

Where's the real assistance for Unemployment compensation now?

February 6, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  50. David Heath

Anderson,
    Where is the money to assist those who are in danger of loosing their homes? There has to be something in the bill for that. Please don't tell me that this has been left out. The American public cannot continue to take it on the chin any longer.

February 6, 2009 at 10:32 pm |