February 6th, 2009

What's in the $780 billion stimulus?

Editor's Note: This information came from a source in a Republican Senate office that took part in the negotiations.

Joe Johns
AC360° Correspondent

MORE THAN $43 BILLION IN TRANSPORTATION INFRASTRUCTURE INVESTMENTS

$27 BILLION FOR HIGHWAY, ROAD AND BRIDGE INVESTMENTS

$8.4 BILLION FOR PUBLIC TRANSIT INVESTMENT

$2 BILLION FOR HIGH SPEED RAIL

$1.3 BILLION FOR FAA AIRPORT IMPROVEMENT FACILITIES AND EQUIPMENT

$850 MILLION FOR AMTRAK

$250 MILLION FOR GRANTS TO STATES FOR INVESTMENT IN HIGH SPEED AND INNER CITY PASSENGER RAIL

$100 MILLION TO MARITIME ADMINISTRATION FOR ASSISTANCE TO SMALL SHIPYARDS

MORE THAN $76.8 BILLION IN EDUCATION INVESTMENTS

$39 BILLION FOR STATE FISCAL RELIEF TARGETED DIRECTLY FOR EDUCATION

$13.9 BILLION FOR PELL GRANTS

$13.5 BILLION FOR SPECIAL EDUCATION FUNDING - This would bring the federal government closer to the promised 40 percent of the national average per pupil expenditure for every child in special education. This will help relieve the increasing burden at the local level to cover the rising costs of special education, and allow districts the flexibility to retain support staff and teachers in the classrooms where they are so desperately needed.

$10.4 BILLION FOR TITLE I– The additional investment in Title I is a critical investment towards children in poverty. As more and more children are classified as poor during this economic downturn, this substantial additional investment will help local school districts ensure that their academic needs are being met.

ENVIRONMENT

$6.4 BILLION FOR WATER AND SEWER INFRASTRUCTURE

MORE THAN $3 BILLION FOR JOB TRAINING

$3.25 BILLION FOR WORKFORCE INVESTMENT PROGRAMS

$160 MILLION FOR JOB CORPS

HEALTHCARE

$87 BILLION IN TEMPORARY AND TARGETED MEDICAID RELIEF TO STATES

Leading economists have found that targeted aid of this sort will generate increased economic activity of $1.36 for every $1 spent. Moreover, with unemployment up, the number of people who are eligible for Medicaid also rises. Increasing the federal investment in Medicaid will shore up the safety net for those vulnerable families.

HOUSING

$5 BILLION FOR SUPPLEMENTAL GRANTS TO PUBLIC HOUSING AUTHORITIES FOR CAPITAL NEEDS

ENERGY

$4.7 BILLION FOR STATE AND LOCAL ENERGY EFFICIENCY BLOCK GRANTS

$4.4 BILLION FOR SMART GRID to improve the reliability of electricity transmission grid

$2.9 BILLION FOR WEATHERIZATION PROGRAMS

$2 BILLION FOR ADVANCED BATTERY MANUFACTURING

$7 BILLION FOR LOAN GUARANTEES FOR STANDARD RENEWABLES

HOMELAND SECURITY

$800 MILLION FOR CONSTRUCTION OF PORTS OF ENTRY

$500 MILLION FOR FIREFIGHTERS ASSISTANCE GRANTS

SCIENCE

$1.2 BILLION FOR NATIONAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION

Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Economy • Joe Johns • Raw Politics
  1. Bill

I see they took out the tax credits for new home buyers. is there a chance that could get back into the bill?

February 6, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  2. The Vercoe's

Spending for the new government vehicles is not necessary

February 6, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  3. Casey06

This is all good solid spending; we needed more of this...much more and LESS tax cuts.

February 6, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  4. PATRICIA

Has Unemployment compensation been extended or suspended.

February 6, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  5. roger

After watching the senate stimulus amendment process I find much of them are just bad or have nothing to do for the economic stimulus. Senator Grassley’s’ amendment on Medicaid and Senator Feingold s’ amendment are the only amendments holding any merit that passed committee and need to be added to the stimulus package. Senator Bunning wants to save Wall Street investors. I’m a wall street investor and I knew the risks when I started to invest and when my broker wanted me to sell I said no thanks I’ll just set and in time I’ll recover . I’m not interested in saving those who can’t and do, because the markets yield back in time. Mr. Bunning’s amendment does not reflect good research. Senator Thune doesn’t seem to understand good research ether. Mr. Thune wants to hand out outrageous tax cuts. Stimulation is done by causing movement of the GDP and purchasing tax relief has a direct effect on the GDP, not giving big handouts to a targeted group. Senator Wydon wants to set at a Wall Street round table with out researching the facts involved.
    Housing needs to be taken up with T.A.R.P. Big banks don’t need three hundred and ten billion dollars but, my research shows, housing restructuring through small community banks have a record of handling finances best and at a lower cost then the large Wall Street banking system.

February 6, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  6. John

What happened to the funding for the arts which would have provided jobs for many in the nonprofit arts organizations.

February 6, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  7. mbrown

How is all this spending going to create 3 – 4 millions jobs???
    It looks like a bunch of pet projects for a bunch of Democrats.
    What is being done in any of these potential jobs to make sure that these taxpayer funded jobs will go to American citizens?? Illegals have taken over a huge block of the construction industry. E-Verify needs to be mandated for any taxpayer funded jobs.

February 6, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  8. Matt from Mount Laurel NJ

This whole stimulus debate is a joke. Don’t the republicans realize how badly they are hurting their own states and the people in their states by not working with President Obama and the Democrats. It is so ridiculous…the facts are out there and I surely hope that the American people see through their BS. They have been dragging this out long enough, and frankly, it needs to stop! Everyday that goes by, more and more AMERICANS are losing their jobs, houses and investments. Republicans will not come out and say it, but by wanting more tax cuts, I truly believe that they are trying to backdoor the Obama administration into failure. Tax cuts only gain two cents for every dollar given back to the tax payer, while spending to fix our crumbling infrastructure would gain 59 cents on the dollar. What they are doing is not right and needs to be stopped! It’s time to put personal politics aside and do what’s right for the people and their political stature.

February 6, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  9. Jim Sturgeon

All this is good for is too make a bunch of rich people richer again. What about the middle class tax payer. All we get out of it is the job of paying for it. Come on people enough is enough.

February 6, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  10. KatchProFILMS

Wow.

February 6, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  11. Patrick

How come all the compromise is coming from the Democrats. John McCain compromise was to take all the spending out of the bill and do nothing but tax cuts. He did not win the election Barrack did. The majority of Republican are being obstructionist.

February 6, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  12. Bob Smith

How will this stimulate the economy NOW? Most of the money is long term project spending for pet pork projects!

Sure, lets get so far in debt that we trash the US Dollar and drive interest rates to unheard of levels.

February 6, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  13. Kevin

Spend, spend, spend. Notice most of this stimulus bill is loaded with spending for long term projects. Most of which I might add will need adddition funding later on down the road. In other words, an even larger budget to meet in 2012 and on for future generations to endure. Where is this going to end?

February 6, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  14. Ethel Eakright

What about the people that are losing there homes.God Bless America

February 6, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  15. Ian Combs

This is a very well thought out stimulus bill. Republicans in the senate should stop fighting president Obama and pass this bill so that America can get going again.

February 6, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  16. Ralph Williams

It seems like the goverment is regulating and watching different industries. How is watching the insurence industry. My insurence is going up 250.00 per year because I live in Nevada.

February 6, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  17. Mya

I keep hearing about PORK.....these appear to be programs that will stimulate local growth and job production.

February 6, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  18. Tammie

This package is a joke its not going to help the low income and middleclass like it should the guy is who makes the US tick..People need to wake up.....The rich get richer and poor get poorer! People will spend money if they have jobs, stop sending our jobs over seas and bringing forgieners here to take ours!

February 6, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  19. Don

I don't agree with everything in this bill(some items are clearly not going to stimulate the economy), but, I think a lot here can help the economy and is generally good for the country.

February 6, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  20. vera millsaps

I would like to hear (from the republicans), how the 2nd half of "their" $700 billion stimulis package was spent, and what did it accomplish?

February 6, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  21. Dain Babb

Boy I'm sure glad the Republicans were able to get that 25 billion
    for new school construction " Fat " cut from the plan....that wouldn't create any new jobs. hmmmm

February 6, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  22. Babs

My Oh My... maybe they can work this thing out with out the fat...

February 6, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  23. JUDY EMANUEL

GREAT STIMULUS PACKAGE. WHATS IN IT FOR TROUBLED HOME OWNERS???

February 6, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  24. Barbara Martin

Did the tax deductions for new cars for sales tax and interest related to financing stay in?

February 6, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  25. Agnes Moio

Did the one-time 2009 stimulus for Social Security receipients survive?

February 6, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  26. pat

is there anything in the stimulus for housing? Is the tax credit in this plan?

February 6, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  27. Tito Bautista

With the Economic Stimulus Program that is about to be passed by the Senate, are there any funds earmarked for existing Businesses contemplating on expanding their operatons via franchising?

How about credit availability for those recently unemployed to start their own businesses by being a franchisee in industry that they are already familiar with. It is proven that the succes rate of franchisee start-ups is so much higher than those going at it alone. Chances of providing increased employment via this route is more of a long term solution in resolving our massive unemployment crisis and likewise stimulate the economy at a much faster pace.

Having said this, aside from the 3.6M currently unemployed, additional military personnel (approximatley 300K) will be coming home from Iraq and most likely unemployed. If there is nothing set aside to address this, then it may be the right time to lobby for a piece of that package, to ensure that our brave soldiers have something to come back to and build their future with after the sacrifices they have made for all of us.

February 6, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  28. Ralph Williams

about peoplee on disability and retirement only income. With food ,gas insurence,etc going up we have nothing left to spend. The tax cut doesn't do anything since we don't do tax returns. I hope we aren't left behind.

February 6, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  29. Rob Machado

What about extending or increasing unemployment benefits... or providing health care assistance for laid off workers? The cost of Cobra is outrageous.

February 6, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  30. Sredni Vashthar

This is an excellent plan - they seem to have taken the pork out. Obama is to be commended for putting this together. In the last 20 years I have not seen any one take one sensible measure to improve the economy.
    Go Obama (thanks A.C. for giving the info)

February 6, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  31. Billies

You left all the PORK off this list. The Devil is in the Details>

February 6, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  32. Peter Romonoyski

What a joke. I am self employeed in property maintenance I have not had any calls for jobs and wonder what I will do. I can not get unemployment because I am a one man operation and have bills to pay. I Need Help!!!!!!!!!!!
    They have forgot about us

February 6, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  33. joy sargent

I'm a 67 yo african-american democratic female. Stimulus yes, pork no. Of the 780 billion, what REALLY creates jobs now.

February 6, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  34. bodiddley

The tax cuts. You forgot to tell us about the tax cuts. Who gets them? How much to they get?

February 6, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  35. Bill

Whats in in for me? There is nothing in it for the average Joe! Did
    I waste a vote?

February 6, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  36. Suzanne Bond

What about un employment benefits. Will there be any relief for people that can only draw benefits for 6 weeks, 13 weeks, 20 weeks?? any extending of benefits. Anything at all????

February 6, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  37. David H.

How are mortage interest rates going to change due to this stimulus package?

February 6, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  38. Cheryl Trobaugh

What is the battery manufacturing for? If it's not for cars, get rid of it. Small shipyards? Sounds like a Congressional pork project.

Everything else is GREAT! Bring on the Public Transportation, I'm tired of sitting on the 405 – give me a viable alternative to get to work and I'll use it.

February 6, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  39. Jazzy ,Md

I'm glad that members of congress are finally Getting the bill passed. I just wish republicans would GET OUT OF THE WAY! And let President Obama do his job. They were the ones that broke it, now let the democrats fix it.

February 6, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  40. Ted Schlagenhauf

Earlier this week the Republicans had proposed a 4 or 4.5% across the board interest rate for mortgages. Where does that now stand – is this still a possibility? I too, believe this certainly would stimulate home sales and/or refinancing which could help many people to now be able to afford their mortgage payments.

February 6, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  41. Chester Evans

To Anderson Cooper

In the House of Representatives version of ‘‘American Recovery

and Reinvestment Act of 2009’’ page 9, "SEC. 1107. APPROPRIATIONS

FOR INSPECTORS GENERAL" begins the amounts to be used by different

departments Office of Inspector General. $208,500,000 is to allocated to these offices.

If these offices are normally funded by the annual budget, WHY do they need special funding.

Sincerely,
    Chester Evans
    Norfolk, VA

February 6, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  42. lorraine

Is there any grants for the arts.... culture?????
    Isn't that important for the welfare of our lives......

February 6, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  43. John Campbell ii

Im a plumber in dfw and I can't see the stimulus helping my family. Obama needs to help the people who got him elected at a local level to.

February 6, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  44. Wil

OK, that's about $250 billion, what's the other $500 billion+ going to be used for?

February 6, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  45. Wade Zinn

Where are the hundreds of rests of billions – this is an absurd list, nearly totally useless for consumption.

T. Wade Zinn

February 6, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  46. Ana Smith Goller

What happened to the tax cuts? I don't see them in your list!

February 6, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  47. Richard Mark

It doesn't add up..... where is the rest of it?

February 6, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  48. JoAnn Knowles

This makes me sick! Can someone PLEASE tell me how 1.2 Billion for the National Science Foundation is going to stimulate our economy???? How is any of this nonsense going to stimulate our economy. The politicians should be put in jail for stealing our money! I'm sick of this bull crap.

February 6, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  49. Adriana R M Atlanta,Ga

Yes. This will work.

February 6, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  50. H. E Woods

Hi Anderson,
    I am in the Aero-Space Industry. The prior government decided that we should retire the current shuttle programn in 2010. Even though we do not have a replacement vehicle. Therefore, thousand of employees will be facing unemployment.

My question is: How will "payroll" reduced taxes help the currently unemployed and future job lost.

Thanks,