February 6th, 2009

Octuplets' mom: 'All I ever wanted'

The mother of octuplets, whose story has sparked controversy around the world, rejects suggestions that she may not be able to care adequately for all 14 of her children and that her decisions have been selfish.

"I'm providing myself to my children," Nadya Suleman told NBC in her first interview. "I'm loving them unconditionally, accepting them unconditionally, everything I do. I'll stop my life for them and be present with them and hold them and be with them. And how many parents do that? I'm sure there are many that do, but many don't. And that's unfortunate. And that is selfish."

NBC's "Today Show" ran a portion of the interview Friday.

Suleman, a 33-year-old single mother, had the octuplets through fertility treatments, while already having six young children and no clear source of income.

Keep Reading...

1. EJ (USA)

Nobody wants her kids to fail but the fact that she’s been mooching off of the system since 1999 proves she already has along with her foreclosure and bankruptcy. Why don’t you address that EJ?

I saw your comment before but I just ignored it because people keep mixing up her issues with the issues of her parents. It was her mom, Angela, who filed for bankruptcy.

Either way – I know people who have filed for bankruptcy and still have kids later on. Most people who ended up filing do so due to medical reasons.

From what I read – she had a legitimate claim for worker's compensation after having a desk shoved in her back during a hospital riot. That doesn't sound like a story you can make up that easily.

Is worker's compensation the same as welfare?

This isn’t like the Duggar family of 18 kids where the parents are self-sufficient and not leaning on the government to pay for those kids.

I thought employer's pay for worker's compensation insurance?

And even if she were on welfare at one point, she certainly is not the only one. Many of you seem to be saying that your life is over because this particular woman has 14 kids. I don't think your life would be any different today than it would be if she had never given birth. She did specifically say that she refused welfare. I don't know why – maybe because of all the ridicule and stereotypes people place on welfare recipients.

Looks like she has a $300,000 start. So far, so good.

And no I couldn't. I am unemployed and have no health insurance – so I guess I'm a failure along with millions of other Americans.

February 6, 2009 at 7:44 pm |
  2. EJ (USA)

I read that NBC paid $300,000 for this interview. They can’t say that they are paying her directly, so they have to say it’s a fee to show pictures of the kids, licensing fee or some other crazy way of re-wording it.

Well that's good for her. I hope that she has more coming her way.

Being raised by a nanny is a far cry from being raised by your parents.
    Yes, they might love you… but would they care and nurture you if there wasn’t a paycheck at the end of the week?

I know we all have our own perspectives – but I'm sure my parents would've LOVED to have some nannies to help raise us. They would've just been head over heels. I can almost see the look on my mom's face right now as she sits down to watch Wheel of Fortune & Jeopardy knowing that the nanny has cooked dinner for everyone that day. She'd love it!

Now for me – If the nanny was loving and caring – and I understood what her role was – I am sure I would've been fine with it. In fact, maybe some things would've worked out a little better in the life of myself & my siblings, but hey – everyone can't have the nannies, cooks, chauffuers and super cool expensive home appliances.

February 6, 2009 at 7:35 pm |
  3. EJ (USA)

Also, EJ, regarding granny helping ( as the other six kids are living with the grandparents) — granny said she was leaving town.

Granny knows she isn't going anywhere.

February 6, 2009 at 7:26 pm |
  4. Annie Kate

I feel for the mother and the babies and children. They are all going to have a rough row to hoe growing up. But who knows – it may make them better people for it. We don't know how this will turn out or who will pay what and until we do why worry about it? It doesn't change anything. The only thing I regret for her is she had so many boys and so few girls. I think girls are infinitely easier to raise than boys....and I have had both so I have a basis for comparison.

February 6, 2009 at 7:03 pm |
  5. Erika

As a mother, and someone who has dealt with assisted reproductive technology in order to become pregnant with my one child, I question the ethics of her doctor. Six children already, all conceived by donor insemination, and then someone is willing to implant eight more. At 33, the clinic that my husband and I worked with would have implanted no more than two...after 35, no more than three-a far more ethical, and healthy way to do things. Our bodies aren't meant to carry eight babies at once in a healthy way, and it's miraculous that she was able to do so, but if these babies were conceived by IVF and not an illegal IUI (intrauterine insemination) then the doctor who did the procedure needs to be called to the carpet to answer for that decision, which is against the ethical standards of almost every legitimate medical organization I know of.

Some people want large families. Others want no children at all. For many, in between is the way to go. And all are acceptable, but at what cost? Wanting a large family isn't the problem. Wanting a large family in order to heal issues from ones childhood, and doing so at any cost, without regard to ones own health or the health of the children...that's a problem.

February 6, 2009 at 6:51 pm |
  6. jen

R Kennedy: That's right – through the thick and thin family is there!
    EJ: You make me chuckle! Don't you know that the norm is 2.5? I still haven't figured how anyone has a 1/2 child, but. . . In the meantime, I will continue toenjoy the nieces and nephews as the numbers are increasing, watch the joy that they have being raised in large families, while remembering and treasuring the memories of my upbringing and let everyone else talk bad about a person they do not know, a situation they know little of, and a life they know even less of.

February 6, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  7. Stacy

I agree with Dana. Stop giving this woman attention and helping her to exploit her children. It's sick. We're fighting two wars, yet here we are watching stories about this delusional woman and Michael Phelps.

February 6, 2009 at 6:11 pm |
  8. Teresa, OH

@ EJ: ummm, we dont use crystal balls anymore... but I could answer your questions...

Also, EJ, regarding granny helping ( as the other six kids are living with the grandparents) - granny said she was leaving town.

Being raised by a nanny is a far cry from being raised by your parents.
    Yes, they might love you... but would they care and nurture you if there wasn't a paycheck at the end of the week?

February 6, 2009 at 6:04 pm |
  9. Rene Shepard

Hey Anderson,
    After reading the bashing this woman has received, I just want to know, when did being a mother become a mental disorder? It's only been in the last 2 or 3 generations that the family has been pared down to the barest minimum of 2.5 kids. And here we have a woman who said, I want them all. So what? She's not on welfare, never has been and by the way in generations past, single motherhood was not unheard of, in fact after having whatever kids they had, many men died and left their wives to take care of the family.
    The fact that people who have no stake in the lives of these precious children feel the need to demonize their mother for the sin of giving birth to them is unquestionably base and judgemental and horrible in the extreme.
    It's her life, if she wants to have her kids, so what?
    I think there are those who would have said it would have been better to abort, or just trash some of her children. What a terrible state of mind our country has fallen into.

I know you have some left leanings. I've watched your career for years. I just hope that you can see the need for people to get over themselves and allow this woman the same privileges of privacy and dignity that we seem to need for ourselves yet deny others.

And how many mom's have successfully given birth to eight children ever? That alone should be celebrated. Two of her embryos split and made twins, its not like she planned on having 8 more kids. At most she and her caregivers could foresee 2 or 3 babies which is the norm in invitro fertilization. The fact that all these kids survived is a miracle.

I'll be keeping my eye on this, as it pushes my buttons. I hope you will attempt an unbiased reporting that I have seen you do in the past.

February 6, 2009 at 5:59 pm |
  10. GF, Los Angeles

"On the contrary, I think it’s very smart. If she can get a couple million in the bank right now, why not do so and avoid all the ‘you’re a lazy-selfish-delusional-welfare-mom’ attacks coming from all of the alleged child care experts out there who want her & her kids to fail".

Nobody wants her kids to fail but the fact that she's been mooching off of the system since 1999 proves she already has along with her foreclosure and bankruptcy. Why don't you address that EJ? This isn't like the Duggar family of 18 kids where the parents are self-sufficient and not leaning on the government to pay for those kids. This is a woman who has not worked since 1999. How in the world is she going to pay for a medical bill that currently is $1.3 million and growing? Could you?

February 6, 2009 at 5:58 pm |
  11. c,ca

Lisa in Ca –

I read that NBC paid $300,000 for this interview. They can't say that they are paying her directly, so they have to say it's a fee to show pictures of the kids, licensing fee or some other crazy way of re-wording it.

February 6, 2009 at 5:55 pm |
  12. R Kennedy

Julie San Diego, CA – my comment is to Julie in CA;

Does your husband resent supporting and raising his sisters – or it is just you that resents it? Many families share the responsibility of raising each other and thus have a lifetime bond with them. In tough times, that bond will help them get thru life's drama. Not everyone has close ties to family – but some cultures do – no matter how they were raised, they are there for each other thru their entire life.

February 6, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  13. EJ (USA)

Can I borrow your crystal ball to see how my life turns out?

February 6, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  14. Jim

With all of the couples trying unsuccessfully to have children, it seems deplorable that someone who has had 6 kids already can take resources away from those who need it. How can this woman think that she'll ever have time to go back to school? Who is going to take care of her 14 kids? It sickens me to think that someone this irresponsible could parent 14...

February 6, 2009 at 5:07 pm |
  15. GF, Los Angeles

EJ if there is a class issue – she put herself there by choosing to be a single mother without the means i.e. a job to support them by feigning an injury just to mooch off the system. Feel free to donate your paycheck to this woman but I for one will not give my paycheck to her quietly.

Yes EJ it is wonderful that we live in America to make our own decisions even though it has very negative impacts others. Isn't it just wonderful that people can make irresponsible decisions like buying a house that they couldn't afford and then affecting the rest of the economy? Yes feel free to pay her $1.3 million hospital bill and her formula, diapers, baby clothes, etc. etc. Oh by the way this woman has filed bankruptcy in the past along with being foreclosed on. What a stellar person she is to be bringing in 14 children into this world for us to pay for.

February 6, 2009 at 4:40 pm |
  16. Isabel

Hey, EJ.
    I don't enjoy working my butt off to cover an off-the-charts hospital bill for someone who hasn't lifted a finger except to make some more babies. American is about living your dream, which you have to earn.
    This is irresponsible and detrimental for the lives of the children. Later on we will watch the news and see a story about how these children had social services called on their home and they will end up in foster care. She talks about a dysfunctional childhood, foster care will mess with you. I would know.

February 6, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  17. Sylvia

I'm sorry but something is not right here! I think there some emotional issues with this women, she sounds fairly intelligent but really come on!!!

There was a young woman who lived in a shoe she had so many kids she didn't know what to do!

This women is living in a fairytale and the nightmare has yet to begin.

February 6, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  18. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Guys,

The punishment for this woman is that she NEVER, NEVER MORE, in her WHOLE LIFE, will achieve SLEEP.

That is, if she is the mother zealous who says is!

February 6, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  19. Teresa, OH

Having grown up one of nine kids, I saw that parents cannot give that many kids the true attention they NEED and CRAVE. Not to mention clothes and shoes... and food too.

I think it was Bill Cosby who said: there is NO unselfish reason to have a child. Now that my kids are grown... I have to agree with him

I wish this gal the best of luck and hope there are people around her who can EMPATHIZE with the kids: it's not thier fault, they need love and anyone will do. What a big job for the children to do: fill the hole in the womans heart.

February 6, 2009 at 4:08 pm |
  20. EJ (USA)

She’s going to end up with a book deal, movie rights or magazine story (or all of these) and be paid BIG BUCKS!

I hope so!

That’s outrageous.

On the contrary, I think it's very smart. If she can get a couple million in the bank right now, why not do so and avoid all the 'you're a lazy-selfish-delusional-welfare-mom' attacks coming from all of the alleged child care experts out there who want her & her kids to fail.

Get therapy not act like a rabbit and breed large quantities of children!!!

Wow, we Americans are so judgmental. It wasn't long ago in America that it was the norm to have large families. I guess this mom is an outcast now because she's not following the "breeding rules" set forth in the Consitution.

I feel so, so sorry for every single one of those children.

Have any reports come out that they are being abused or neglected?

None of them are going to get the amount of i-n-d-v-i-d-u-a-l attention and nurturing from their mother (not a “support person”) they will need.

If your argument is that a parent or parents should not have hired help ("support") then you have to go on a rant against many of the rich people in America. They are the ones with the nannies, drivers, housekeepers, and all sorts of help like that.

If I were rich and had kids, I think I would love to have the help of a couple of nannies.

In this woman's case, I'm sure her parents will help out -and that is their perogative. They obviously love the 6 kids she's already raised. We don't know who else will help her. She could have nannies in the future – or even church volunteers. We don't know.

February 6, 2009 at 4:01 pm |
  21. Lisa in CA

I wonder how much NBC paid for this interview?

And I'm certainly glad to know that once she finishes her schooling she'll be able to provide for these 14 children. But in the meantime, who's footing the bill? If I believe what has already come out, one of the first 6 is autistic and now she has 8 more that will undoubtedly have various degrees of developmental issues throughout their lives. And who is paying the NICU bill? As a Kaiser member, it had better not be me.

No one is denying her the right to have children but really, wouldn't that love of children have been better used as a foster mom? It's great that she wanted a large family (maybe not for the right reasons - she wanted to feel "connected"?) but 6 is a large family. How will she possibly be able to give 6 children individual attention, let alone 14 - and all under the age of 8?! This is selfishness on her part and her children are the ones who will suffer. That is not what being a good parent is all about.

February 6, 2009 at 4:00 pm |
  22. jen

Have to agree with you, Clark, even though I'm a liberal! You sure got a point! I am pro-life, but do not believe that I can speak on what others should do with their own bodies. And that includes someone wishing to having another baby, knowing the huge possiblity of having at least half a dozen at one time!

The issue that I have with society, and one of the reasons for the economic decline, is that a great majority believe that they need to have everything! So for all of you who claim that she needs to have enough money to pay for the children's education, do you believe that she needs to also own a mansion so each child has his/her own room? I have always felt extremely blessed for coming from a large family. My thinking was always, "if you hate some, you have others to love". And we did have enough for our own volleyball, soccer and whatever other games we wanted to play! I just didn't want to be on the team of those that I was hating that day! Why do parents have to pay their child's education? Why can't the children be taught work ethics and money management and feel that accomplishment when they pay their own way?

February 6, 2009 at 3:54 pm |
  23. Karen - IL

I'm completely amazed at this woman. This has nothing to do with whether she is a single mother or a married woman. This has to do with her ability to take care of 14 children, eight of whom are B-A-B-I-E-S!!! And her poor parents, I feel sorry for them and yet I don't. I can see what's "coming down the pike" on this one. She's going to end up with a book deal, movie rights or magazine story (or all of these) and be paid BIG BUCKS! That's outrageous. I don't care how much you wanted a big family when you were a child. Get therapy not act like a rabbit and breed large quantities of children!!! I'm a mother myself AND a single one at that. I had a hard enough time raising two that were 10 1/2 months apart. Who is going to support this woman? Are we going to see her next on TLC "14 Babies and Counting"???? I feel so, so sorry for every single one of those children. None of them are going to get the amount of i-n-d-v-i-d-u-a-l attention and nurturing from their mother (not a "support person") they will need. God help them. As far as she's concerned–no comment!!

February 6, 2009 at 3:44 pm |
  24. EJ (USA)

I think Anderson just posted this blog to get me all riled up.

February 6, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  25. EJ (USA)

I think it would be fine for this women to choose to have 14 children if she could say that she will be able to provide them all the love, attention and all the needs they will require to grow up and be healthy, working adults. Is that possible with 14 kids that close in age? I think not.

Bobbi,

Who says that she cannot? Some people come from cultures where family, friends, and community do take an active part in raising their children. It's not always just the parent(s) like portrayed in typical American culture. In some cultures, the grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins etc do live together much of their lives and help each other out.

I just don't see how we can predict doom & gloom. Do we have any indication of how she has treated & raised the 6 kids she has raised thus far?

February 6, 2009 at 3:37 pm |
  26. Julie San Diego, CA

To those who are supporting this woman's actions, let me tell you how she hurts everyone in her immediate vicinity.

My mother-in-law is a Breeder, just like Nadya Suleman. She had 11 kids, two of which died at birth. Her husband left and the older kids (of which my future husband was one) were left to raise Dear Old Mom's litter. Not just changing diapers – the kids supported her financially.

Try doing that when you're 16. It's not wonder my husband used to hyperventilate every time we passed a baby store in the mall.

Now I love my husband's little sisters, but when when I was in college (paying my own through way by working minimum wage jobs) I got kind of cranky having to help to financially support my boyfriend's mother's children. Dear Old Mom couldn't be troubled to get a job – she's a MOTHER for heaven's sake – she needs to BE THERE for her children.

When you're boyfriend's kid sister is going hungry, you tell me you can walk away without doing something about it. That manipulative woman had us all over a barrel and should took away the carefree young adult-hood that most people have.

The story has a happy ending. Dear Old Mom's in a crappy nursing home – just desserts. All the kids, save one, grew up to become successful adults. Hubby repaid me with several years of vacation from the workforce because he's done so well in his career.

My point is that if this story has a happy ending, it will be because EVERYONE ELSE has suffered to fix ONE NARCISSITIC WOMAN 's irresponsible actions.

February 6, 2009 at 3:35 pm |
  27. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

@ EJ:
    Your comment was great!
    Very good and funny!

February 6, 2009 at 3:31 pm |
  28. Bobbi

Bobbi
    Neonatal Intensive Care Nurse

February 6, 2009 at 3:28 pm |
  29. EJ (USA)

What she needs to do is give those 8 kids up for adoption.

I'm sure glad that we live in America where we can make our own decisions.

February 6, 2009 at 3:20 pm |
  30. c,ca

If this doesn't convince Child Protective Services to intervene, I don't know what will. This poor woman is obviously disturbed.

Am I the only one who noticed that she appears to have had cosmetic surgery? I think she is an obsessive fan of Angelina Jolie (another lunatic, IMO) and she is delusional. She probably thinks her life, with all these kids, will consist of having her picture taken while walking through airports, attending the Oscars, and being on the cover of People Magazine.

It's easy to make jokes, or complain about welfare, but I think this woman is living in a fantasy land and these kids could be in real danger.

February 6, 2009 at 3:20 pm |
  31. Dana

I just wish the news media would stop covering this story. It's freaky news...not important coverage of national or international events. Leave these stories to the tabloids, Anderson. Your show is soooooo much better than this. It's by far the strongest news show available.

February 6, 2009 at 3:20 pm |
  32. R Kennedy

I don't understand why everyone thinks "they get to decide" who and how many kids this woman should have. I know that the financial burden is on all of us, as taxpapers, but we pay for married and unmarried women with kids all the time, thru programs to help feed the hungry and homeless. Everyone has rights – not just the employed married women.

Is it because she is unmarried and NOT blonde and beautiful? The right to have or not have kids is not based on a job, career or any other material measure of success.

February 6, 2009 at 3:17 pm |
  33. EJ (USA)

This almost sounds like a class issue. How do we determine who's a failure and who isn't?

February 6, 2009 at 3:16 pm |
  34. Maria

I can’t absorb the whole story, I feel bad for the kids

February 6, 2009 at 3:15 pm |
  35. EJ (USA)

Even at 33 that woman is still very immature. She should have gotten her college degree before having kids at all. Or at least after one of her first six.

She does have a college degree.

February 6, 2009 at 3:14 pm |
  36. Jennifer - Michigan

I have two wonderful, beautiful children – they are the light of my life. I too had a very lonely, neglected, only child upbringing. Although my children have healed a great portion of my heart, I do not feel the need to have an ungodly number of them. I'd like to have maybe one more. My husband and I both agree that we should be able to afford to nuture them both emotionally and financially. I understand where she's coming from, but she's not thinking clearly. She's not putting the needs of her children before her own. She needs therapy to work through her issues, not more children.

February 6, 2009 at 3:13 pm |
  37. Kristen-University Park, PA

I'm sorry but nothing she said in that interview made any sense. She is not doing herself any favors with that interview. Her story sounded crazy before and now just confirmed with this interview.

My heart goes out to the 14 kids. Honestly how does this woman have time to hire a publicist, do an interview with 8 babies in the hospital and 6 kids at home? This is such a strange story. I hope things will work out, for the children's sakes.

February 6, 2009 at 3:05 pm |
  38. GF, Los Angeles

EJ she already has failed. She has not worked since 1999. Her children are being raised by taxpayers. She does not have health insurance – taxpayers again are footing the bill. Love does not feed or clothe a child much less provide them with an education. What she needs to do is give those 8 kids up for adoption.

February 6, 2009 at 3:00 pm |
  39. Anja, Germany

When does she want to go back to college?! She won't have time for that anymore. And how would she afford that anyway...
    She now has the opportunity to choose between "be present with them and hold them and be with them" or getting a regular income. What about getting your own soccer team, huh??

February 6, 2009 at 2:51 pm |
  40. EJ (USA)

She hasn't abused her kids has she? There are some parents who have 1 or 2 kids that don't spend enough time with them. Other parents beat their kids into submission. From what I've heard thus far – she is not a bad person and loves her kids.

I don't think those kids are doomed automatically just because they are part of a big family.

The kids are already born – I'm not sure what you all would like her to do with them now. I would hope she would try to care for them as best she can. She will not be alone – She will have help I am sure.

It almost seems like people want her to fail so they can say "I told you so."

February 6, 2009 at 2:46 pm |
  41. Diane - IL

I can understand Suleman wanting to use all of her embryos, but why implant all at once? At 33, she is still young with many years that she would have been able to carry them with a lot less risk to herself and to the babies. The doctors who implanted the embryos should be the ones being scrutinized. I would like to see them interviewed and ask, what were they thinking?

February 6, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  42. GF, Los Angeles

Oh and I might add she is also another reason why CA is the #1 taxed state in the nation when it comes to Sales Tax, Income Tax and Gas Tax. How would anybody want to give up their hard earned money just to support this stupid choice?

February 6, 2009 at 2:17 pm |
  43. GF, Los Angeles

Yes this is an economic issue Clark. WE the taxpayers will be paying as of now $1.3 MILLION just for her kids to be in the hospital since their birth. WE the taxpayers will continue to pay for her poor choice to have them in the first place. If this woman or any woman has the finances to support the children they bring into the world – fine pop them out like the a clown car. This woman has been living off the backs of taxpayers and it's women like her who add to this $42 billion dollar deficit of this state. BTW since you're obviously pro-life, how many children have you adopted to save those lives?

February 6, 2009 at 2:16 pm |
  44. disgusted

In my opinion, as a "responsible" mother this woman should have been able to successfully support herself and her children before becoming a baby factory. Contrary to popular belief money is needed before hand to raise children, especially 14! Otherwise it is like putting the cart before the horse... well I will have the money someday and be able afford to take care of myself and my dozen offspring. If everyone lived like this where would we be??? Especially now.
    I want a child too, but I am responsible and know I cannot afford it right now, I do not expect anyone else to pay for me to have a child – let alone 14. I can even understand the whole story about wanting an additional child for fear of not being able to have one in the first place but give me a break 6 is high number if you do not have a job and live at home with mommy and daddy. If you could not afford the first six on your own where do you get the idea and the gall to have eight more!!! If she was made to support herself and her 6 children to begin with she would probably re-thought this whole situation, then again maybe not. The doctor who performed this service should foot some of the bill to support these children as well as the "friend"( maybe this will make them hesitate before proceeding with this type of procedure in the future) to relieve the burden of hard working tax payers, and she should be made to have surgery to prevent future unnecessary breeding. I am appalled at the whole situation, it makes me sick! I certainly do not support this woman become a "celebrity" because she is irresponsible – the only thing she should be a poster child for is BIRTH CONTROL!

February 6, 2009 at 2:15 pm |
  45. Presley

So, is no one going to mention that she resembles Angelina Jolie?
    That just made this whole nightmare creepier, to me at least.

February 6, 2009 at 2:11 pm |
  46. GF, Los Angeles

This woman has been on workers' compensation since 1999. She's collected approximately $230,000 for being 16% disabled. Her claim was she couldn't stand or sit due to an injury on the job as a psychiatric tech in a hospital. This is what I heard on John and Ken (KFI 640) from one of their investigative reporters who has all the paperwork of the claims and her actually hiring lawyers to continue her payments in 2008 when the state tried to deny her claims. That's interesting this woman is 16% disabled yet has no problem with having 6 children and now 8. Hmmm sounds like fraud to me! This woman is already living off the backs of taxpayers and she will continue to through welfare and WIC since she clearly does not work. How in the world is she going to raise 14 children by herself? Her answers show what a selfish person she truly is. How can she expect her parents to help raise her children? They're her problem.

February 6, 2009 at 1:57 pm |
  47. Clark

what hypocrisy and double standards!

1. the liberals say a woman has the right to control her own body and her own reproductive activities ... when it comes to abortions ... and never think twice (actually refuse to consider) whether the abortion kills a human baby (even though the "clump of tissue" has 47 chromosomes which is human and the 47 chromosomes are not a match for the mother's chromosomes)

2. yet when a mother chooses to control her own body and her own reproductive activities by having embryos implanted her own womb (multiple embryos) then a huge controversy develops and the "ethicists" pretend they have the right answers.

so the liberals have no problem with "potentially" killing through abortion (potentially since they are not absolutely sure) ... but they have a huge problem with bringing multiple children life (because they might have died).

or perhaps this is all an economic issue and human life is simply not a consideration .....?

February 6, 2009 at 1:56 pm |
  48. Cindy

This woman is a friggin nut case! One part of being a parent is actually holding a job and working to be able to take care of your kids. Not sitting at home, having more kids that you can't afford and living off of disability or your parents!

And for her to blame her childhood on her problems now is ridiculous. Lots of people have dysfunctional families and are alone and don't end up an adult living off of the system and having kid after kid to fill the void that is with in themselves. The woman needs therapy not children! She is no were near sane enough to raise these fourteen children! They will end up raising themselves and being even more dysfunctional than she is.

And she is not being judged because she is single and chose to have in vitro. Many single women have had it. She is being judged because she didn't know when to stop and has so many children that there is no way that she can afford them monetarily or give them the emotional support that they need. How does she think that she can work with that many kids and make it? Child care alone will kill her! She is very delusional!

Plus with her working then isn't she leaving her kids and making them grow up the same way that she said she did and it messed her up? Seems to me if she plans on working then she didn't have that bad of a childhood if she is going to make her kids go through the same thing. So her excuse for having so many children is a lie!

Cindy..Ga.

February 6, 2009 at 1:51 pm |
  49. Candice

I think it is extremely selfish of her to have all these kids. Her reason behind it i.e. that she had a dysfunctional childhood. If she really thought about the situation of raising all this children as a single mother; instead of selfishly thinking about herself and what she wanted, then she would realize that her situation in itself is dysfunctional. Her believing that "Providing herself" is going to be enough is ludacris. It is also supprising that she believes that she will be able to support all these kids on her own after she completes her education. 1) who is going to take care of them in the interim period 2) how can she afford to take out all these student loans (what about the kids) 3) she has no guaruntee of employment 4) Does she realize how much it is going to cost to raise that many kids at once. She also has selfishly not considered her parents and the current housing situation. It is okay to want a large family but to not take in to consideration basic factors that would be needed to accomadate the family is selfish and inconsiderate. Also on a side note I read somewhere that people/companies are shying away from donating to her and the family but Who Suffers? the mom for her stupid decision or the children whom we know she cannot support on her own

February 6, 2009 at 1:50 pm |
  50. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Dear Anderson Cooper,

I know you do not have children, but believe me, this woman is completely insane and unbalanced. (excuse me the words heavy).
    I have one, only son of three years, and perhaps he worth for her 14 children. This is only explanation I can understand.

Son is the best thing in life, you identify its features in it, you realizes that he is a yours evolution, but the parents must be able to create them with everything a child needs (emotional and material).
    As a woman, without a clear source of income, can do this?
    How she can give a child (ups... 14 children) need?

Missing rules for artificial insemination. More stringent measures for physicians should be imposed.

February 6, 2009 at 1:45 pm |