February 4th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/4/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Erica,
    I love Jack Gray's comment so funny I read...... he is best comedian comment in the world...... he have sense of humor....... he is so great!

February 4, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  2. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, That is a good question, but I think the answer might be frightening.

February 4, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  3. Radhika

Give it up Cheney! Obama's admin in no way is "making nice" with terrorists. Cheney is just trying to go back and justify things that the Bush admin did that were wrong.

btw: First time blogger, long time watcher. I love Anderson's work.

February 4, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  4. Pete

I think a 500K cap is too generous! Why not 50K?

February 4, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  5. Renee

@ Erica: Sounds like Jack Grey will need an agent REAL soon!

February 4, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  6. Richard

Dear Anderson: I am simply outraged by the $18 Billion dollars CEO's made last year while millions of their fellow Americans were losing their jobs and their homes. Thank you President Obama for stepping forward and taking the lead on this issue. Unfortunately I live in Kansas, a devout Republican state. I have written my Republican Senators every day this week about this issue, and to no surprise, I have not heard back from any of them. Perhaps if you post this e-mail I will! Thank you.

February 4, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  7. Mary

It is about time someone put a cap on the big executives pay.They have almost bank-rupted the country with their greed.

February 4, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  8. Michelle

I am with Peter Bergen. I am skeptical.

9. Marium

Dick Cheney lives in a bubble. Obama's choice not to use "war on terror" is to changing who America is targeting. America's image does matter in the world and our actions can make or break possible diplomacy in the South East Asia and Mid East region.

10. carolyn cee yah

this is a shame that ex president cheney is missing the white house
    and the power he once had. fear fear that's all the republicans have
    left.

11. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Yes, Erica, much thanks to Jack Gray! He's such a good sport. I read his blog regularly, which is always excellent.

12. Bridget, TX

Cheney was in charge and left the country in the mess it is in now and he has the gall to criticize P. Obama. But this is the same guy that said if he had the chance he'd do everything again he do everything all over again. The country is dying and he's trying to prove some stupid point. I wouldn't be surprise if Chaney got his coharts with Halliburton to do something to push Al-Qaeida groups to attack the US.

13. judy

Afraid that qualified people will not want these jobs, maybe they have been the wrong kind of people in the first place. We need people who understand thier fiduciary responsibility to both their company, consumer and understands thier important roll in our econcomy. Get rid of the ones in place now and find good ones with ethics.

14. Jacqui Chan

cool I'm glad to see every1 at 360 getiing along again

15. Patricia DeTreville

You should not be providing former VP Cheney with an audience for his continuing negativism. He has no position of real or moral authority and essentially worked tirelessly to create the serious problem of America's erosion of standing in world. Why are providing him with a forum? I fail to see why his comments are now "news" when he was completely unaccountable in office.

16. Tracy

Bravooo David Gergen you make so much sense. You are the main reason I even watch CNN...You bring the adult aspect to an adult conversation...

17. Sharon S

These terrorist do not think like Americans they do not like Americans and will die to prove it! End of story!

18. Marlon

Anderson –
    I am not against the salary cap for bank executives that accepted TARP money, but I feel this sets the wrong precedence. Salaries should never have a cap, because this when businesses have to negotiate to obtain top talent from other firms or top tier university graduates, the ability to offer incentives based bonus/salary is a useful tactic. If corporations are not allowed to obtain top talent, there is a risk that tomorrows talented employees will find suitors that may not be in the US, but overseas. I fear this could lead to a migration of jobs and industries to Foreign Markets and thus causing a glut of Tax Revenue for States and Cities. For proof, look at the concern that Michael Bloomberg is expressing in New York City.

19. Angel Manners

Bergen and Gergen.... it doesn't get any better than this

20. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

I don't care for what V.P. former V.P. -Praise the lord!!! has to say he reminds me of Dr.Evil fromAustin Powers movies.

21. Richard

Hi Anderson,

I've not seen anyone report on banks like Citibank that is hiking interest rates on EXISTING balances by as much as 10% in spite of the customer's payment histoy and in spite of receiving bail out money. We're getting it at both ends.

If you opt out; you reduce your available credit and your rate drops. If you pay it, you have to give up your cash. Must be nice to hammer the public and then say you need to improve consumer confidnence. Confi who? Confi what?

Rick

22. marsela mcgrane

I am a Republican and I am fed up with the Republicans in the senate.
    Where were they for the past 8 years -now when we need to work together they decide to stand up to the President. At this point I have total respect for the President, atlhough he has been in office only 2 weeks and has already addressed major negative attitudes that I and most of the public have had in trusting our government.

The Republicans should get behind the stimulus package and be serious for once instead of getting advice from their wall street buddies and Rush L. For once they should act responsibly.

With regards to Executive pay -the executives can quite if they want to, but who will hire an executive that has failed so drastically.- not even in China will they find work.

23. Monika

WHY are we still listening to Cheney????? This guy should be thrown behind bars for war crimes!!!!!!!!

Obama was right NOT to respond. Neither should the media. Who cares what this idiot has to say?

24. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Gergen, thanks for always remembering us bloggers.

Hill – do you think Sammy can drive, smoke her cigarettes, and change gears?

25. Becky MO

If members of Congress were small business owners, maybe they would have a better understanding of what would stimulate small business growth. You can give small businesses low interest loans, tax credits for hiring new employees, tax cuts, etc., but without customers with money, those things are meaningless. Since none of my customers don't qualify for a government bailout, how about giving them a little job security.

26. George

Do we still have to listen to what Cheney has to say? He had 8 years to talk and it is over for him. Move on please!

27. KarenT

We were only attacked once with Clinton in office and he kept us safe for 7 years without using torture or going to war. Cheney needs to stop his fear mongering. His turn is over.

28. Elroy

With all the money that these ceo's have what the hell are they crying about. There are thousand of people that will kill for 500,000 dollars for real, and with all that money saved up they could take a pay cut for a few years but there greed wont let them. I say in Palm Beach Florida and its bad down here. Bush ant shut, all he did was make the rich, richer and the poor suffer more then ever. Who are do you really think that most of these rich people looking out for the own kind, and I'm not that. But Obama I'll pray for you every day that you contuine to do what you do, you seem to know how the real america feels, my god bless you forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Life hurts for all of us but we will hold my heads up believe that America. Help us hurt is every where, Bush and John Mcane would do nothing but turn there backs on us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. Eric from Omaha

Cheney needs to understand that when we dont read rights, etc. to one person because he doesn't like them, then we all can lose our right being read to us. He needs to go away, far away. He's being so very arrogant. Thats why the reps lost the election!!!

30. Robert Tyler

It is incredulous to me that these guys who have cost their stockholders billions of dollars still have jobs. They have cheated their stockholders out of their equity, are in the process of cheating their lenders and bondholders out of their equity as well and now are going to cheat the government (taxpayers). Who is next? What is the big deal with Madoff? Bank of America shareholders have lost over $200 Billion.

31. Dorothy-CA

Hi Anderson and Bloggers

Cheney needs to get lost. Why do these people continue to want to hog the spotlight after their time is over! He wasn't good in office and he is even worse now.

32. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Cheney should shut up! Hasn't he caused enough trouble already?

33. terri

When will the tax payer see benfits from the bailout? 401 K withdrawl without penalty may assist some of us to pay off our debt faster. Banks still get to throw money away on Superbowl parties and the like, when will they give us benefit of the stimulis and lower credit card interest rates?

34. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Can't Former Vice President Dick Cheney just fade back into the woodwork?

35. Vanessa, TX

I think Fmr VP Cheney is a sore loser...what a jerk thing to say! I think he needs to hde under a black hole!

36. ericacnn

Glad you all enjoyed the JG appearance. I think he's giving David Sedaris a run for his money. I just hope he remembers to say hello to us little people as he rolls by CNN in his Bentley, driven by Sammy...

37. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

Y es @ Michelle from Detroit The john Deere Plant in Onatrio is sending most of it's jobs to Mexico .The ouch factor is that they are using current employees to create the computer programs for their facilty there.

38. Sharon S

Where are all these terrorist going to go? Do you want them living here in your neighborhood?

I mean really no one wants them they are still a danger to us and everyone around them, so why get rid of the only place that will take them?

39. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

George W. Bush left the White House to enter history.
    In the history of anecdotes and jokes.

Some other president was so satira, criticized and hated like him?

40. Jamerson

I have two questions and would really love to hear your point of view on this.
    When are the banks going to release credit? They received the bail out money now when will they give out credit to the American people?

Do you think that if the American people received the bail out money say $30,000 per tax paying family then we the people would stimulate the economy by either paying off bills, which would give banks their money, or just spending on businesses

41. violet

can't believe this load of bs the CEO's r putting out there
    they have no talent other than to boss people about

42. Ann

Why are the taxpayers giving Cheney a GSA office?

43. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, I think Obama is right about the phrase "the war on terror." We should be directing our energies against particular groups and not insinuate that we are against the entire Muslim community.

44. Sonia Downie

I do think that President Barack Obama is doing the right thing in putting a cap on the salaries of 'top executives'.... I have been working in the banking industryfor more than 30 years and I have not only seen, but have also felt the effect.

In addition anderson, is there a special reason why CNN 'professionals' seem to be more comfortable referring to the elected President of the United States as Obama, Barack Obama and Mr Obama. After all, doesn't he deserve to respect.

At first I decided to 'cut youall some slack' but I am beginning to believe that it is deliberate.
    I AM TRYING NOT ONLY TO KEEP CNN HONEST ...BUT ALSO PROFESSIONAL.

45. Pati Mc

Um, I thought we rolled Cheney into the sunset for the final time. WHY is he back??? I am not even gonna state where I really think he should be. LOL. Really, it's no joke.

February 4, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  46. Clyde

Oh right. Cheney's a real credible "expert." A liar and an idiot. Cheney needs to go back under his rock.

February 4, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  47. Fay - California

Where was Dick Cheney when the info about Osama Bin Laden "determined to attack the US" came in? It's time to move away from the Bush/Cheney model of terrorist management. Why are we even listening to the likes of Cheney, Palin and Joe the Plumber?

February 4, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  48. Michael

I applaud President Obama's decision to limit executive compensation to $500K. What kind of talent does it take to bankrupt a company? I actual think $500k is too high. I am a physician who makes less than half that amount and I probably work twice as many hours. I would be out of a job with zero income if I was that incompetent!

February 4, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  49. Minou, New York City

It's just the same old fear-mongering Cheney has done for the past 8 years! I'm so tired of this hard-line paranoia.

February 4, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  50. Wendy

I totally agree with President Obama regulating Wall Street on their compensation package. Whenever a citizen sign up for any type of government program i.e. Aid to Family w/Dependent children, food stamps, SSI they have to follow the rules in order to get government money.
    A duck is a duck whether he walking or swimming. Coporation that receive bailout money are welfare receipants and in my opinion should be treated the same. If a welfare receipant frauds the government the government has the right to prosecute the welfare receipant. Let's do the same for corporate executives.

February 4, 2009 at 10:29 pm |