February 4th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/4/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. alex

Obama never spoke about the stimulus during his campaign!
    Now he is applying bush's tactics of fear speaking of catastrophy unless the bailout is approved by congress!

4% loans to qualified buyers skipping the banks and their fees is the only thing that couldsave the housing market.
    property tax breaks for foreigners that can't deduct those taxes as foreigners would invite international capital.

CEO's should return the bonuses received after 1st bailout dollar was reveived.

why is tim geithner sec. of treasury. Tom daschle should have hung arround maybe the president could have pushed him through just like tim geithner.
    With richardson, daschle, geithner, and the lady who resigned the record is pretty bad.

February 4, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  2. Mike, Syracuse NY

If the terrorist organizaions don't represent the broader Arab world, why doesn't that world denounce the terrorists? Who funds Al Queda if not the broader Arab world. Obama is very wrong.

February 4, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  3. Cessy, Chicago

I'm getting a headache...capping executives salaries, stimulus bill, Dick Cheney and the monkeys...Bring out the AC360 dancing machines! However, it is refreshing to see you Anderson in a different suit. Dig the Crimson red tie 🙂

February 4, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  4. julliet

Joe the Plumber? Where is John McCain when Joe needs him the most? LOL

February 4, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  5. Cyd

Dick Cheney is off his rocker. What kept America safe between the 1993 World Trade Center Bombing and the 2001 Bombing? Were Cheney and Bush to blame for 9/11? Then how can they claim credit for the following years?? We haven't been hit again because Al Qaeda hadn't really tried. Also, President Obama didn't say all of the people at Guantanamo would be set free just because that prison would be closed!

February 4, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  6. anthonia,oakland,ca

Micheal Phelps should go to jail!
    it would be
    totally unfair for
    Micheal to go free
    without notice
    just because of his fame,
    while some citizens in america who intake marijuana,
    are arrested for
    smoking and growing
    the plant.

February 4, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  7. Ken in NC

Joe The Plumber says he doesn't know if the American people deserve him. Well I know. We really don't deserve him. LOL

February 4, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  8. Miranda

Anderson-

Asking bankers not be greedy is like a tiger not having stripes!

I believe caution needs to be shown on both the Democratic and Republican sides, like the pilot of AW1549 caution and a smooth landing are called here for the economy.

Not bickering and I want a piece of the pie pork even if you have been waiting for 8 years, the President should be no push over or their pinata!!!

Miranda

February 4, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  9. Bea

This just reminds me of how hoppin mad I get when I realize how easy the press has always been on Cheney.

February 4, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  10. judy-nyc

hi Anderson & all,
    Ali's piece was just great–the most reasonable & in depth analysis re: the excec. cap i've heard today.
    And...I have to say for once(!) i don't quite agree with David, who is the epitome of reason in my mind. I'm with Jamal on this one. While i think the bill can–and will be tightened up some more– i don't think we can have an economic recovery program ("stimulus") with more & more tax cuts & less & less infrastructure spending. we had tax cuts already. now we're "in the soup" so to speak.

February 4, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  11. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Yay! Jack Gray! He really is an amazing guy...and incredibly funny!

February 4, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  12. Dewey Duhon

Why would anyone want to put what's his name the plumber on air anyway. He was showed to be a fraud during the election.

February 4, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  13. Gary

Question : How many jobs will be lost by people who work at resorts/hotels/restaurants because of the Obama restriction on corporations entertainment? Think about it. The Law of Unintended Consequences will impact many different businesses under Obama's plan.

February 4, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  14. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

i agree with Rick These ceo's don't need a bailout The industries that are failing now with jobs being lost they need the bailouts.

February 4, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  15. Faith Hermann

I certainly think President Obama is on the right track in limiting CEO's compensation if their company has received a bailout from the taxpayers. I'm even in favor of the clawbacks. These greedy fellows and their failure to lead their firms with integrity and honor helped get us into this mess- and they still think they should be rewarded? It just boggles the mind. It is an outrage to the millions of Americans who are struggling to hold body and soul together. I'm thrilled to have a President who can stand up and say this is outrageous.

February 4, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  16. David Gergen

Hello everyone - it appears that you are voting about 99-1 in favor of the pay cap on exec salary that the President announced today.

On a couple of the questions you are raising:
    - my understanding is that the cap will apply to the top 25 execs in a company (appears not to apply to traders on the floor for some of these financial companies, and as you know, those folks have made millions apiece in good years)
    - on when the cap is lifted: not clear from what was announced today but it appears the cap goes when the company pays back the govt for the loan.

Thanks for tuning in - and for joining conversation here.... will look forward to your reactions to Dick Cheney interview...

February 4, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  17. Ken in NC

Randi, taking the banks to court to get the money back is such a long process so why doesn't the government do it like the banks do it. Steal it.

February 4, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  18. Eddy

It is time that those at the top financially have limits on their earnings. If the taxpayer cannot afford to pay teachers, firemen, police officers, and social workers a reasonable amount we can't afford to pay corporate executives big salaries.

February 4, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  19. Jon

Lawmakers had 8 years (Rep/Dem) to get the economy straight, and now they want to challenge the President because they got a better idea. I take my chances and go with a fresh look.

February 4, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  20. Pat

Andersion, Yes, yes, yes, Mr. Obama is on the right track; I am 65 years old and have never ever witnessed such absolute focus and honesty of task at hand, as we are currently witnessing in Our President! We are extremely blessed and fortunate to have him at the helm.

Pat in New Mexico

February 4, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  21. Julie Borders

Limiting the top CEOs to $500,000 is ingenius. Those who are greedy will decide they really don't need the government intervention and figure out a better way to do business or get bought out. The government should have worked directly with the homeowners to help keep them in their homes, instead of bailing out the greedy bank CEOs.

22. EJ (USA)

What does Jeff Toobin have to say about the executive salary cap?

23. Tom Johns

I've been a CEO and led several companies though bad times. When the company does poorly, its people hurt and so its CEO must share the pain. This is not Rome and you are not Caesar. You live for your people not off of your people. These CEO's need to come down to earth or they need to be removed. They certainly do not deserve the people's money.

24. LaRue Covalt

Why aren't they returning the stockholder's losses before bailing out the major banks?

25. Tracy

And please stop talking about Rush Limbaugh,...The President made a comment behind closed doors to Repubs..Their feelings got hurt & they ran like little babies to the media and you guys just blew the whole thing out of proportion. Ignore him and he will go away. TRhe only people that care about his idiotic trash is his base and the media follows it up just to boost your ratings. I think Obama should talk directly to the people every day via YOUTUBE....Dick Cheney is a fear monger and as usual the media will take his crap and run with it...I can't belive you guys get paid the amounts you do to follow up such foolishness. Whatever happened to real reporting? All we need is the FACTS not the media assesment of what WE THE PEOPLE should think

26. Ronika

John - I think if we start capping salaries we start to lose the capitalism foundation Americans have worked so hard to build. The "American Dream".

27. ray

HAHAHA!
    cheney in his wheelchair is so melodramatic!
    he looks like the Barrymore character in "Its a Wonderful Life".

hahahahah

28. Jack Magestro

When I hear the large finacial instutions remark that they need to pay inordinate sums of money to "keep our people" I am reminded of a phrase of which my boss was fond...

"None of us is irreplaceable.

29. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

How is Dick Cheney doing right now???? I wonder is he walking or not?? I don't know....,
    Ugh!! no more Joe the plumber!!!!

30. Joseph Petrella

When are Republicans going to get it? We have dealt with 8 years of policy that benefited the rich and exploited the middle class which has resulted in an economic crisis that is unprecedented since the Great Depression. When are they going to realize that paying the top employees extreme amounts of money for faliure just is not the American way? I would love to see George Bush's personal portfolio and see exactly what he earned on the huge increase in gas prices. These conservative republicans are creating a situation where the middle class is getting weeded out and this country just can't afford the loss of the middle class. Stop the greed and spread the wealth for work that does more for the advancement of the human race rather than for advancement of a personal portfolio. Give it a rest you greedy Republicans!

31. Paula

My head is spinning with all this bail-out talk and the politics of it all.
    I wonder how much money every American could save if they sold their gas guzzling SUV's, purchased houses they could actually afford, unplugged their game boxes, computers, Ipods, blackberries, cell phones, DVD & CD players, and all of their other electric devices. Just think of the energy=money alone that woud save! What would we do? Maybe rekindle relationships with family and friends... live and in person?

32. Sharon S

Good Question, what about the executives at these car companies? Are they going to cap their salaries until the money is paid back?

And what about the fact they are still not making cars that are affordable or economic? I looked recently and GM cars are more expensive now than they were before the bailout! Go figure?

33. danny loyd

Anderson,

Give me a break, as middle class retired from ge. How much money does one person deserve a year? I've done fine on less than 6 figures all my life.

no one is worth more than 500k I don't care what they do!!!

dano in va

34. Evelyn CA

I one glad that the president did this, at my company we did not get a bonuses in December and they stop matching our 401K

35. Rita in Mississippi

As for Dick Cheney, can we find a place where there is no outside communication and send him, Blago and Sarah for starters.

February 4, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  36. Eric from Omaha

Thanks for reply Gary–yes, I saw that list too, and read it. Some objectionable things, I do agree. Are the Dems saying thats for jobs or just things they want-what is the goal? That is my question to dems and rep's what your goal folks!? Jobs only? Then skip the sod, etc. It becomes mudslinging with different folks talking different problems. Thanks again for the feedback–keep it coming!

February 4, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  37. Fred - Washington PA

This should never have been an unwieldy one-size-fits-all Democrat gift certificate. There were priorities that should have been targeted first for the recovery. The opportunistic Democrats have ruined any chance of success for this boondoggle. It just sustains their gullible greedy voter base.

February 4, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  38. John Bergquist Newtown, CT

Clearly, companies receiving taxpayer money should not be giving out bonuses to executives. Capping salaries is completely reasonable while companies are doing poorly. When everyone starts making money again then large salaries and bonuses can again be forthcoming as a reward for success.

February 4, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  39. Marium

This is what happens when there isn't any regulation. People think they are invincible and the rules don't apply to them.

February 4, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  40. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Joe the Plumber... There once was a day when an individual only got 15 mins of fame without some worthwhile contribution. Seems that Joe gets a never-ending line-up of career opportunities for jobs in which he probably has no expertise. Guess it's not his fault, but still.

Looking forward to hearing more about this interview with Dick Cheney.

@ Chris – Boston, MA – You confused me for a second. I looked at the screen and went, "I know I didn't write that..." 😀

February 4, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  41. Nattada, Houston TX

Good evening everyone,

Hope everything is going well with the stimulus package and get all the vote needed, so things can keep going.

I think Pres.Obama is on the right track with capping CEO salary. After all, it is tax money. We talk about a lot of money here, whoo!!

February 4, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  42. Isabel Abreu, Brazil

Erica,
    It will be very good to have Jack here!

February 4, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  43. Eddie

Tell the republicans to stop stalling on the stimulus package. If they had all of the right ideas, we wouldn't be in this mess. Limiting executive compensation is not a good idea, it is absolutely a must.

February 4, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  44. Kent Burnett

Hooray for "Decency in Capitalism." Hooray for "Decency Caps" on CEO pay. Of course, success should be well rewarded, but societal regulation of excessive greed is one of the keys to the long-term well-being of a capitalistic society.

February 4, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  45. Gary New Orleans,La.

Putting a cap on the CEO's is what should have been done on the first bailout. And we would not be in this mess. The people should be bailout because those people who recieve a stimulus check from President Bush. That showed you that it did not work. Because the people did not recieve a enough. But if a American citizen has to write a letter to get a grant from the Government. We give hugh amounts to this companies and what do we benefit from this.

February 4, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  46. Lauren--NY

Anderson, 10:12 is hardly late. 😛

Do you happen to know the answer to the question I asked about blind trusts? If anyone else knows, that would be great, too (I realize the topics of the day have moved beyond Daschle and such, but still curious...)

February 4, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  47. Paul

I absolutely love the executive pay restrictions being proposed!
    As Americans we have lost sight of the fact that over the past several decades we have become capitalist extremists. We somehow trained ourselves to see nothing wrong with a handful of people making exorbitant wages while over 40 million people lack health insurance and many live near or below the poverty level. There must be a better balance between profit and fairness. I hope we're finally heading in that direction. I remember hearing a few years back about Ben and Jerry's ice cream (before being taken over by Unilever). At that time I believe the rule of the company was that no one could make more than 5 times as much as anyone else. That's the kind of capitalism we need now. No limit on profit, but it must be shared.

February 4, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  48. Pati Mc

Something just dawned on me with the whole Bailout vs. bonuses issue.

Why stop there? Why not take the salary cap to say, sports? I am sure that I will get blasted for saying that, but how does a sports figure with an inflated salary do anything to help the economy?

Oh wait, they spend it all on stupid and unnecessary "things". Silly me.

February 4, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  49. Steve - southern Illinois

I'd bet $10 these CEO's have already figured out a way around these caps.

February 4, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  50. Fay -Sarepta

Anderson
    I think that it's a great ideal to cap executive salaries. I am glad that the president is going on offense. This is a serious situation.

February 4, 2009 at 10:24 pm |