February 3rd, 2009

Sound Off: Your comments 2/2/09

Editor's Note: Monday night’s AC360° drew comments and questions from many of you on the proposed stimulus package. The question asked most often was “why can’t the money just be given back to the tax payers and let us stimulate the economy?” Another topic that spurred a lot of interest was the recent birth of octuplets to the California mother who already had six children under the age of seven. Finally, many of you didn’t seem to feel that Michael Phelps' “crime” of being caught smoking pot shouldn’t be such a big deal, with some even reviving the old argument that it should be legalized. Take a look at a few of the comments and let us know what you think:

Tax cuts only affect people who HAVE JOBS. They don't do a thing for those who are out of work. Obama doesn't have the absolute control your questions assume. You need to think some about what you are asking. You all seem so constantly critical it is clear that you've never been in a responsible management position.

I really can't believe that no one has opened for public debate the idea of giving the money to the taxpayers. After all it is taxpayer money, is it not? If they really had any intention of helping people in foreclosure and out of work, this would be the best and fastest way to jump start the economics of the country, and ultimately the world.

All elected officials in Washington should have the IRS look through their past tax returns, not just the ones that are up for appointment. Why isn't that already a requirement?

Who is donating the sperm to the crazy lady having all the kids?

Why should we (the government) be paying for these 8 babies when she already has 6? I feel she is abusing the system. I don't think she is entitled to any assistance. I think she should give these babies up for adoption and get a job!!!!!

As a member of LEAP (law enforcement against prohibition) I think marijuana should be decriminalized. Europe did it and hasn't had a weed arrest in 15 years! We have more prisoners than any country in the world. The WAR on drugs is a failed war and the billions spent on it could be spent in better ways.

Regarding Michael Phelps I think of the old saying 'if you work hard you're more likely to play hard.'  I'm not trying to defend their actions but I think sometimes they're made more into a legend than an actual human being. I'm just glad to finally know there is something "human" about Michael Phelps…

Filed under: Behind The Scenes
  1. Reggie D

I'm a 22 year old black man who thinks that the president is really trying to do something for our country. Before these two years , I was not intersted in politics, and now I'm watching cnn to keep up with what's going on. I feel that Congress should put all their problems between the two side behid them, and get down to fixing our problem. I would also like to say that it is imporant to get people back to work, and help home owner with mortgage rates. I think that would be the smart thing to do. I would also like to see programs and jobs started for young adults in poor neighborhoods, I hope that there will be a lot for programs started to help our kids stay off the streets. And better equipment for all our schools. We should start with computers for all our schools with internet service. And we should start with our younger kid like preschool, I think if we start with the young one early with read, math, social studies, and helping them get computer literate would help kids in the long run. I think they should lower taxes for the working class people and raise taxes for the richer people because they are not using their money wisely. If they would lower taxes for the working class, then there would be more money to boost the economy.

February 4, 2009 at 10:48 am |
  2. Q

I am not the smartest guy in the world; I hear the GOP talk about giving money back to the housing market. Wake up that has not worked. People do not have jobs and cannot afford a mortgage. The housing market needs to be regulated before we started putting money at it; because it is broken. We gave banks money and it has not worked. When Mr. Obama got elected he stated he was going too started from the bottom up, what did it meant? What I am hearing from the GOP is giving back to the housing market that got us in this position in the first place. It was like selling drugs it was easy and fast, until we got caught. (The reason way I said that is because, it sounds to me the GOP wants the tax payers to give back all the money the banks lost in the housing market and screw the middle class that lost their homes to foreclosure/screw the ones that are pay their mortgage on time)(I will be all for it if I can refinance my house for free at 4% without having to pay that $3,000 to $6,000 refinance fee). The GOP needs to know we are going to have to do our time and ride it out. But we can try to put money in middle class Americans pockets and create more jobs for them. GOP stop taking care of your rich homeboys/girls all the time and take care of the voters who got you there (middle class America); help create jobs for them not put money in rich peoples pocket because that does not help the poor or middle class.

February 4, 2009 at 9:51 am |
  3. Mrs. Nimal Breckenridge

Question ??
    – Do you categorise the Sun Leader Ediror Lasantha's murder with state strictures on reporting (from the war zone)
    – Why do you quote a piece dubiously written by Lasantha before his death that surfaced only later

Mrs. Nimal Breckenridge.
    102, Rosmead Place,
    Colombo 7

February 4, 2009 at 2:56 am |
  4. Karen Sorrels

Anderson, what I would like an answer to is this:
    Why can not we all have 'head of household tax deduction. There are literally millons of us that "do not qualify" yet no one paysour bills for us. My two sisters are widowed...myself, age 58, kids are raised, single, no depents, working in factory assembly line, for $24,000/yr wages... No one pays my bills for me, but me, but I am penalized by our government for being 'single". If our President wants to make an immediate difference for all of us "single" Americans, whether we are widowed, divorced, gay, lesbian, etc...who pays our bills...we do...are we married...no... we pay some of the highest come taxes there is to pay...just because we aren't "married"...talk about penalties...why????
    Karen Sorrels in Columbus, IN

February 4, 2009 at 1:43 am |
  5. jeantobin

The Republican Marie Antoinette attitude concerning the stimulus package reveals how oblivious they are to the plight of the people.

February 4, 2009 at 1:23 am |
  6. Lorraine

If a Canadian CEO for the RBC (Royal Bank of Canada) can take a big cut in his wages, why can't every other high paid CEO follow suit. We would find our economies on the healing list, if these people would only think of others, and not waste the tax payer's money (loaned to them to help out the economy) with spas and other luxury retreats. What were they thinking? How can they think only of themselves while millions of their own poeple have been suffering
    financially, so many are homeless. These CEOs and their families(in all countries) act like they can't see the shame of their actions.
    Some of them make 50% to 60% more than the President of the USA, and he has to bail them out.
    Thank you for letting me have my say. I have been saying for months "that the only thing that would help the economy was for the CEOs to take pay cuts", and Gordon Nixon did it. Thank you Mr Nixon.

February 4, 2009 at 12:31 am |
  7. Patricia

The correct way to address the president is President Obama or Mr. President. Not Mr. Obama.

The person(s) that filmed President Obama when he was on 360 tonight while he was clearly unaware, and then aired it, should get a few weeks off to think about what they did, WITHOUT PAY.

February 4, 2009 at 12:15 am |
  8. Jean

Questions: Aren't these the same Republicans who were running Congress before the elections and who now seem to have all the answers about how best to stimulate the economy? After all, were we not following their policies when we got into this economic mess and now they want us to listen to and respect their opinion? Haven't they done enough?

February 3, 2009 at 11:57 pm |
  9. David Brownlee

I sent this comment to Larry King also, for the same reason. While I enjoy both your programs very much, tonight's was difficult to watch because of the fancy graphics of the subtitles of "breaking news", etc. that kept sliding on and off the the screen. It was happening so fast and so frequently that it was a huge distraction. I think a missed quite a bit of your interview with Mr. Obama because of the distraction. While it is fancy, it is so unnecessary, especially when often the same thing that slid off slid right back on again. Just because your programmer CAN do something doesn't mean that they SHOULD. Keep up the great programming but get rid of the distracting graphics. PLEASE!!

DAVID

February 3, 2009 at 11:46 pm |
  10. RICHARD A. DEVOE

Dear Anderson,
    In light of all the people in government who have "forgotten" to pay their taxes or should i say evaded to pay their taxes, why not look at the tax records of all elected officials. It seems the tax discrepancies only come to light and the taxes are paid and brought current only after the candidate is considered for a position in the administration.
    In addition, i think it would be an honorable gesture if all the high ranking government officials would forego their " automatic " pay raises. ( Fat chance)
    Dick Devoe
    Rochester, N.H.

February 3, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  11. kt

Your interview was great Anderson, but I agree with a lot of the other comments, specifically, people are out of work, food prices never dropped when gas prices went down and those of us that are making it are struggling because of costs as well as the problem with the mortgage companies and the freeze on credit. I have paid my taxes and over $8,000 of them last year, but the State of California is telling me that I will get an IOU for my refund....WHAT the???? This stimulus plan should be giving large kickbacks to the states so they can pay their bills and their citizens as well as retain their workers of state, city and county governments and small businesses. No more money should be given to the banks who feel it necessary to give OUR money to their CEO's.

February 3, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  12. Betty

Please tell me why most of the news media speaks about PRESIDENT OBAMA as Barrack Obama or Mr. Obama? In my opinion it shows a lack of respect! I don't recall hearing the previous President called Bush.

February 3, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  13. Esther

Anderson,
    Iwatch your show but I am not always happy with what I hear.
    First, tonight you said something about Mr. Obama. I like talking to Pope John Paul and calling him Mr John Paul. It's something you wouldn't do. Please don't slip like that again because President Obama has earned his strips and he took the oath twice for people like you who doubt he is qualified for the job.
    President Bush is no longer, He got booed off the podium his last day of office for the mess he has left us in.
    President Obama has been in office for 15 days, and White America wants a miracle to overturn 8 years of shear greed that corporate america still doesn't get it.
    White America would love to see him fail. They sit around and edit his every move instead of going to work and helping him solve a crisis
    that was acquired.
    That why I watch Bill Maher, he give real talk. Honesty.

February 3, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  14. Ken

I have watched the value of my home plummet down $100,000 plus. I pay my mortgage and watch a guy across the street who hasn't paid his mortgage in 8 months. He is now getting a modifed loan and will pay 50% less than I do. However the bank won't talk to me because I am not behind... The value of the home is down over $100,000.

Please help and others lie me understand how this works!

February 3, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  15. Wally Stankus

Has anyone did an investigation on how many members of congress are not paying their full share of taxes? I think these nominations are just the tip of the ice berg. My guess is about one third of the Senate and House would be locked up if they were us for the taxes they are not paying. I believe they think they are above us and the tax laws don't apply to them unless they are caught like now.

February 3, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  16. Lynn

Dear Mr.AndersonCooper,
    Why can't the stimulus package be to pay 200 thousand dollars to each tax-paying household?This would most certainly jump-start the economy.It would help people on the edge of forclosure.It would help small businesses.We average americans could do more than Banks and Wallstreet please give us a chance!
    I would like to see some good old faith in our citizens .We are an honest hard-working country we just need some help.This amount would be much less than the original tarp payout.

February 3, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  17. Ron

I know of 535 immediate jobs that should be created to stimulate the economy, tax auditors for all535 members of congress, When they are done with those individuals they can start on all the ceo`s of the companies & banks that received bail out $.....
    That would be a secure employment position for years to come.

February 3, 2009 at 8:43 pm |
  18. J.J.

CNN has become the home to more drama filmed programming than the soap channel. Daschle did the honorable thing and withdrew. President Obama did the right thing and admitted he screwed up. Can we get back to the real issues. This week alone in my town two business locked their doors and left employees out in the cold literally. Without notice they locked the doors. The employees showed up for work and found signs on the doors that said closed for business. All that screeching on what is supposed to be a news channel. What happened to the channel I relied on during the election for drama free reporting?

February 3, 2009 at 7:49 pm |
  19. Basil Talbot Smith

As a Canadian citizen I would like to know if the "Buy American" advice to Americans will affect the North American Free Trade Agreement.

Example: Will a General Motors Assembly Plant in Canada close in order to keep an American plant open, even if the Canadian plant
    is more financially productive.

February 3, 2009 at 6:58 pm |
  20. elaine waters

Mr. Cooper I would like to know from the president, Why is it that we elect people to the office to work for us. But once they are there all they want to do is vote Dem or Rep. They are elected to work for the people.
    Every time something comes out of Wash. is the Reps want this and the Dem want this. It is the parties that are killing us. Also, If I was a CEO of a company and I took them to the ground, I would be prosecuted for embezzlement and fired. These CEO's are not only allowed to keep their jobs but they continue to get salaries, bonus, benefits and spend our hard earned money on themselves. FIRE THEM. No company that has asked for a bail out should have their top management retain their jobs. They should be FIRED. No severance pay, no nothing. Pay back their spending. Let them feel what it is to be being unemployed. HOLD THEM ACCOUNTABLE. If they were held accountable, then they might start making better choices at their next job opportunity. And no bill should have anything attached to it except for what it pertains to. Stop this piggybacking of what every one wants and get down to the heart of what we need. One bill for one project.
    Thanks for letting me blow off steam.
    elaine

February 3, 2009 at 6:29 pm |
  21. fast

If in fact it is true that the economic and banking crisis we are now in started with housing, then the only way to stop it is to stabilize the housing crisis.

Congress is currently arguing over a $819,000,000,000 stimulus package which includes everything from $150,000,000 for Honey Bee Insurance, to giving more money to the Banks.

According to most estimates there are about 2,000,000 homes in or near foreclosure. The average U.S. Home price is approximately $250,000 (http://www.realestateabc.com/outlook/overall.htm) .

If the stimulus package was rewritten to take care of the housing crisis, the government could pay off 3,276,000 mortgages ($819,000,000,000 / $250,000) and we, the American people, would own 3,276,000 homes (1, 276,000 more homes than the 2,000,000 homes we estimated to be in or near foreclosure).

Over the next 10 years, the government could sell these homes at 60-70% of their value, charge 3% interest for 30 year loans, and end up breaking even which means IT COST US NOTHING.

If the Government charged 4% interest, we would make approximately $100,000,000,000.

If the Government charges 5% interest, we would make approximately $250,000,000,000.

NOW ISN’T THIS BETTER THAN PAYING FOR HONEY BEE INSURANCE, GRASS FOR THE WASHINGTON MALL, etc.

WAKE UP AMERICA!!!!!

February 3, 2009 at 4:46 pm |
  22. Dina

Hey AC, I love your show so much..almost everytime i watch yr show...!

Please ask President Obama about IMMIGRATION...who came ligally with the visa but without any knowledge, money, lawyers fee..they couldnt apply in right path...but they r working strugeling....waiting to be legal...most of them have no criminal record....so what he will do for them... (THOSE WHO CAME WITH LEGAL VISA AND BECAME ILLEGAL...)

PLS...

February 3, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  23. Alexander Winnipeg MB.

I was wondering how President Obama plans to deal with the continuing privatization of the American military by such mercenary groups as Blackwater, KBR, MPRI, and Hart Security. These "Privet Contractors" are sucking in hundreds of millions of tax payers dollars every day with no oversight, regulation, accountability, or transparency in any of their actions. Blackwater is the worst with over $1billion in government contracts since the beginning of the War On Terror.

Wouldn't all that money be better spent on the American soldiers that you already have instead of giving it to corporations that only care about their bottom line?

February 3, 2009 at 3:57 pm |
  24. Truddy

What I don't get is when they gave out the first bail out money, why weren't there any provisions in it so that if the banks didn't lend out the money there were consequences?? Weren't they given money to lend out? Why didn't Bush have something put in the bill? All this waste of the money, for CEO's, for bonuses etc....is outrageous. We should be able to take the money back. At least it appears that Obama would like stipulations of how that money is to be spent...Bush I guess just figured they do what was right, but apparently there are too many GREEDY people out there and that's basically the problem. How much money does one person really need!!

February 3, 2009 at 3:44 pm |
  25. Jean

Hey AC, I love your show!

Please ask President Obama to continue on his campaign theme regarding trust and transparency. I'd like to hear his thoughts on the rhetoric spewing from the House and Senate this week regarding Daschle and taxes. There seems to be a lot of people that apparently feel compelled to cast stones.

While the House and the Senate debate the stimulus package and how to begin digging us out of this economic ditch I think that the President should have the IRS perform a full audit of all of the sitting members of the House and the Senate. I'm curious to know how much more is owed in back taxes by our legislative leaders that are currently debating how to best spend our tax dollars. These sitting members are supposed to be representing the little guy and I for one would like to see whether they are diligently paying their taxes. It is time to clean up this glass house.

February 3, 2009 at 2:38 pm |
  26. Annie Kate

How much would the bill be in the end if we gave the money to the taxpayers? If we were to give the taxpayers enough money to pay their mortgages, eat, etc. for a month or two months how much would it cost? I'm afraid that to give enough money to all to really make a difference would be far more than we are going to incur in debt with the stimulus package because at the end of whatever period the money is suppose to cover a lot of people would still not have jobs and would need more money. We can't as a nation in all practicality pay off everyone's mortgage and if we paid off some and not others people are going to cry unfair! So we need something that produces jobs and gives people enough respite to get back on their feet. Surely someone out there is smart enough to come up with something like that.

February 3, 2009 at 2:26 pm |
  27. Dennis Rivera

Mr Cooper: Can you ask the President why he and Congress does not give the stimulus money directly to every American Citizens instead of a few people. To me it make sense to divide that money among the 300 million citizens and have them pay their nortgage, buy new cars and invest instead of the fiasco this companies have done with the money given to them.

February 3, 2009 at 1:45 pm |
  28. Joe

when are economy is so bad and people are barely holding on to there home and or jobs.Why are our state taxes rising i believe there is a different way to go about this. Im just wondering how much our governor Chet Culver makes a year and im sure he is getting tax breaks on his pay checks, but the tax payers of America are getting the short end of the stick by our taxes rising.

February 3, 2009 at 1:40 pm |
  29. Marianne Nunez

My question to the President is when are the people going to get help?? I work two jobs, pay a lot of taxes for someone single earning 45,000 a year., barely making it. People are losing their jobs, food is expensive, and what really hurts is the bail out money, that is really my money, went to bonuses.

No more bail out money, give the people thier money and let them pay there bills, keep there homes, and stimulate the economy. Corporate America is corrupt, and so are the people's representatives in Washington.

Please do what you promised to do!!!!!!!!!!

February 3, 2009 at 1:39 pm |
  30. Joyce O'Brien

1. My daughter, son-in-law and two grandchildren are about to be put out of their home. They have tried everything to get help. The mortgage companies actually hang up on her. I have heard to get help you have to stop paying your mortgage. Does that make sense to anyone out there??? Make the banks refinance. They can't live with me because I'm already caring for my 85 yr. old mother (no room at the inn).
    2. What good is putting small amounts of money in paychecks going to do? What about everyone unemployed? Don't waste the money. You can't pay your rent or mortgage or buy food or medicine with an extra twenty bucks! Would someone with good, old fashion common sense please step up to the plate???

February 3, 2009 at 12:12 pm |
  31. rod

Rendition!! Jan 22nd executive order!! signed by Obama to keep Rendition!! How in good conscience can u trust a President who still believes it's ok to make people disappear? Is your country still insane? I know CNN won't mention this. Is this how Obama is reaching out to Muslims? Your country is Dooomed for failure!! You all make me sick to my stomach! Except for Jack Cafferty. Cheerz!

February 3, 2009 at 11:15 am |