February 3rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/3/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Rob P.

I guess Phelps should name his dog "Smokey" too. (or "Smokey 2")!

February 3, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  2. Lori from IL

Wow - a president who realizes that words matter.

Glad to hear him admit that he's "learning on the job.." Too many people think they "know it all" and aren't open to the continuing need to educate one's self.

I agree with David Gergen - that President Obama's calmness is re-assuring. His communication skills and demeanor convey his leadership abilities.

Come on Anderson - give him a break on the smoking - at least what he's smoking is legal.

February 3, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  3. EM-Fort Wayne, IN

Serves Phelps right...who is he to think he will get away with this with as simple apology...the law has its purpose to stop illegal behavior no matter who you are, sooner he learns that the better

February 3, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  4. Margy Angle, Scottsdale AZ

Let us give President Obama credit for setting a high standard! I imagine he & his staff were astounded that all candidates did not pay their taxes! Obama is acting in good faith; he is trying! I also think he was trying to allow the candidates to save faith by withdrawing!

Yes, Dave Gergen! President Obama is well-anchored and deliberative! Thank you Anderson for your balanced coverage!

February 3, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  5. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

I hear ya Erica~ Yew Haw to the team @ AC/360! You ARE the smartest on T.V.
    Yay to EVA too! Oh hell, YAY everyone at 360!

February 3, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  6. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I'm guessing its mostly a publicity stunt...How many celebs have gotten caught breaking the law and nothing has happened. Or the want to scare him or something, I'm sure they have some sort of ulterior motive.

February 3, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  7. Pati Mc

Roland has some good points. At first I was offended at people still calling the President Barack Obama, but it is his familiarity that may partially cause that. Still folks, he is the President now.

Excellent panel discussion. Insightful and love the chuckles. David Gergen is just plain cute.

February 3, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  8. Renee Y

Anderson, that was a very good interview. You asked tough questions but was respectful and ended the interview on a lighter note. Pres. Obama has a lot on his plate and to end with laughter was a sign of a great interviewer.

Keep doing what you do! That's why I am glued to AC360.

February 3, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  9. Tom in Connecticut

I agree with Sgt. Giselle Doszpoj. Keep flushing out the bad apples, Mr. President. You are doing the right thing.

None of the politicians who betray the trust of Americans deserve to be re-elected when their time is up. That time is coming.

February 3, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  10. Jasmine- Spokane

Phelps and Obama....that's kind of an awkaward picture. Froliking in the front lawn picking flowers to put....well we know where...

February 3, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  11. Patti, Mobile

Anderson- I believe that you did a wonderful job interviewing the President. I am normally pretty pessimistic about these things, but you did a wonderful job.

February 3, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  12. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Aww Hill....it's great to see and hear you and Cooper showing so much appreciation for those who are working so hard behind the scenes. This is why I love AC360 so much.

February 3, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  13. Mary

And oh by the way...first puppy...get a whippet. A smart, kind, and classy pet to match the first family.

February 3, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  14. Bridget, TX

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Roland Martin!! Somebody finally mentioned that he hates that some people do not give P. O his proper respect and call him President.

15. Heather

Listen with all the stress his under his doing good by just keeping the smokes off the grounds. I just hope he keeps his hand on the ball and does not pass the ball to much because if he does they will blame him know matter what. because as we know the buck stops with him. I love him!! And why should we care if he somkes everyone need a time out.

16. BigD ForthRight, Minnesota

Barack Obama is Truly a Man of Character.

I see Barack Obama as a Man as President that's not Just Taking Shots From the Sidelines + His Sensitivity Cannot Be Misconstrued as 'Labored' by Any Means!

President Obama Will Get It Worked Out + in the Right Way!
    God Bless You, Barack Obama!

17. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Thanks Anderson!!!!
    I am so appericated a question for President Obama!!!!! Good job!!! and Thank you CNN!!!!

18. Renee

@ Sylvia/Chicago: Thanks for the sentiments. I appreciate them.
    I read the 648 page House bill (4 pages per page/front and back) and I am VERY concerned about the direction of the bill. Too much pork and not enough jobs!

19. Maureen T

President Obama is just like you and me! Every day man!

20. Joyce, Humble Texas

Great interview, thank you for airing it. Our new President in my opinion is trying to stay on task with getting all of us back on track with living a more stressless life. Give him a chance as we have done in the past with everyone else, of course we need to keep our eyes and ears open however we need to be fair enough to give this President a chance also.

21. Mike, Syracuse NY

I really don't like the war on terror answer. These organizations need popular support to exist.

22. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

As far as I'm concerned, we can still call him "No Drama Obama". His "calmness" during times of drama is remarkable. Wonder what his secret is? Especially since he's stopped smoking. It's got to be tough!

23. Magdalena

I agree with David Gergen...I love the fact that the President talks to us like adults. He admits his mistakes, thinks about the words he is going to use before he speaks, and has an inner calm that reassures the rest of us.

24. Brian, Gowanda, NY

Anderson, It is truly amazing that President Obama chooses not to smoke on the Whitehouse grounds. This is a very tough habit to break.

25. Marteen, Reno NV

Great Anderson and Crew. Great Job again!

26. Marc S, NYC

I don't mind someone who screwed up as long as s/he knows it too. Most important is "can" this person get the job done right! If so "move on". We really need real progress not little bickering about someone not correctly paying their taxes. Nobody is perfect and who saids other is a hypocrite.

27. Michelle D. Ontario ,Canada

Anderson got to ask about the doghave they decided yet? I missed that.

28. Helen Merbitz

Dear Mr. Cooper –
    I feel President Obama is capable and I am positive he will do his best to avoid future so-called "screw ups". I continue to have confidence in him.
    Sincerely,
    Helen Merbitz
    age 102 (b. 1/15/1907)
    Pontiac, IL

29. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Be still my heart! Not only did Coop ask about the War on Terror but Pres. Obama gave an outstanding answer.

And I love the final question….great job Cooper. I don’t think I have any right to be proud, but I am. I’m proud of what a great job that my favorite network and journalist did. And it’s quite a nice shout out you gave, Coop. You should sleep well tonight.

If the man needs a cigarette…let him. I don’t like the habit but I can’t blame him.

30. Rob P.

I think they should name the dog, "Smokey."

31. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Woo~Hoo Grrrrrreat interview with the President Anderson!
    It was purrfect!
    =^^=

32. Vanessa, TX

First of all....I LOVE David Gergen...I like his comment on Pres. Obama "he sounds like an adult" That's soo true..so cool, calm and collected

33. Don

From an unemployed husband/father of three young children- Please President Obama, let the working class know how this stimulus bill will help create jobs? I don't think he really gets it. It sounds like Roland does, he has hit the nail on the head tonight, nice work sir!

34. Dodie from CA

The 4% interest on all mortgages would definately help stimulate the economy

35. jarrod

I like the 4% mortgage however as soon as the economy picks up the interest rate goes back up and that is where it will become unfair again do to the fact that people that had good jobs lost them lost thier home, credit card default ect. thier credit was damaged and have to race against time to repair before the rate goes up they should freeze this rate for a time period after the jobs are recovered pre Sub Prime problems

36. Jane

Who cares what they call the war! All we care for is to be kept safe.

37. Vicki from NJ

It's easy for the President to now announce today (the same day that Daschel pulls out) that he screwed up. What bull. Obama didn't say anything until today, so Obama is full of it too, I'm sorry to say. We are not falling for it and the fact that Geithner is still in disgusts "we the people" who do pay our taxes and aren't even getting the paychecks that these tax cheats get. So, how many other politicians are cheating on taxes that we don't even know about till they may get picked for a cabinet seat. But, of course, they'll say it was a mistake. We average Joes/Janes taxpayers can't get away with not paying and then try saying it was a mistake and then be put in the highest office of the land. The fact that Geithner is still in sent the wrong message to us out here and especially about our President.

38. Craig - Houston

Ed Rollins is wrong. Durng the campaign, President Obama said his plan would save and/or create upto 3 million jobs. This is not a change. But Ed is a republican strategist, right – Rush must have given him a call and let him know the new talking points.

39. ericacnn

A gracious, honest, thoughtful shout-out from AC to our colleagues.
    There is an incredible team here at AC360 and throughout CNN. We work with some of the smartest, most dedicated people you could wish for. I am also a huge Eva Nordstrom fan – she deserves that mention! YAY, EVA!!!

40. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

"Words matter in this situation."

Finally we have a President that understands the concept of language and association. I couldn't be more thrilled that elementary phrases such as "War on Terror" are becoming a thing of the past. Maybe now we can move forward with a better understanding of the Middle East and a more nuanced approach to discussing it.

@Anderson: Good looking out on his evasive smoking answer. 😉

41. Vivian

Hi guys,

Please tell me if there were any initial guidelines on spending the bailout money to any reciepients?? There should have been. I have never heard this ? ansked or answered.

Thanks.
    Vivian

42. xtina, chicago IL

how about the Congress giving us a temporary tax holiday? how about no federal income tax for three months? How about giving Americans the gross amt. on their paychecks?

43. Esma

Dear Mr. President,
    Thank you thank you thank you thank you for recognizing the difference between crazy people and your average Mohamed on the street. I have been waiting for so long to hear that!!!
    To quit smoking: I used hot curry paste anytime I wanted one (usually 1 to 2 tablespoons). It sucks, but it worked, I've been cigarette-free since December 1, 2005. To be fair, I'd probably start up again if someone plopped a job like this into my lap.

44. Josh

Anderson,

Enough about the Sasha and Malia dolls.

Josh, Brooklyn, NY

February 3, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  45. Shina

Anderson,

I'm watching your interview with the president and I think it's none of your business about his smoking habits. That was personal and you seem to want to make a story out of it. Otherwise, all else was ok

February 3, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  46. Lucie

I think Pres. Obama is still sneaking in a few smokes now and then. He did say he hasn't smoked "on these grounds" 😉

February 3, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  47. Bridget, TX

David Gergen is on point, I don't know what it is but with all our problems President Obama still comes across as calm. If P.O knows everything that's going on and he can remain calm, so I feel in time everything is going to be okay.

February 3, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  48. Regina

Isnt it reassuring, he too is a mere mortal?

February 3, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  49. Liz

Anderson, so gracious of you to thank the folks that did the research for your interview to make it a success–you rock!!

February 3, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  50. Ralph

Yea, "no ciggarets on these grounds!" Obama if you need a smoke go ahead.....Michale Phelps did!

February 3, 2009 at 10:38 pm |