February 3rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/3/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Christina

Roland Martin is getting head nods from me. He is making alot of sense tonight. I hope someone is listening......

February 3, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  2. vanessa from silver spring, MD

I agree David G. I love to see a calm President. It makes me calm to see him smile:)

February 3, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  3. vincent

Andereson, great interview, covered a lot of ground, we really hope to see more of you with the President doing interviews.

David G. is right, the presentation (calm) of Obama is reassuring.

February 3, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  4. Heather - Spokane, WA

Great interview Anderson. I liked your 'lightning round' questions, Im sure Obama enjoyed being asked on some lighthearted questions instead of the politics as usual questions

February 3, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  5. sharon

I certainly hope the President can kick the smoking habit. We need him to be in good health.

February 3, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  6. Tom- SoCal

great interview! Let the man have his smoke...lol.

February 3, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  7. Carmella

Anderson, good interview. I like your interview technique. Direct to the point and you get the answer. President Obama liked you and you will probably get future interviews.

February 3, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  8. Maureen T

David Gergen is the voice of reason! Love his insight!

February 3, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  9. Danice

Hi Erica & Anderson

I agree with Roland he needs to go back to the people who put him in office. Break this stimulus package down line by line & show us (me) how it will help us (me) personally. This other stuff although bad he can get over but he is right if he doesnt fix this economic mess that we are in then he will not have succeed.

February 3, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  10. Heidi Ann Berg

Anderson i think you did an excellent job interviewing the President

February 3, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  11. Beth/Boston

I fell badly for Michael Phelps, he's trying to be a typical college age kid... everyone should cut him some slack.

February 3, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  12. Gerri

Weatherproofing 2 million homes does not seem like something the Federal Government should be involved in. Why "create" new jobs when millions of people are layed off?? Make 0% interest loans available to small business to use as working capital so they can rehire layed off workers.

February 3, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  13. Jasmine- Spokane

"Abraham Lincoln learned on the job" i recall a certain Palin figure at a certain convention saying that the presidency is not a self-discovery job, that there is no on the job training.......doesn't that sound strange?

February 3, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  14. Mike

Great interview Mr. President Anderson great questions

February 3, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  15. Teresa Chicago

I think this sad day for people like me who support Obama any possible way....now we have so many formal lobbyist in Obama's cabinet some of them simply not paying taxes ...is this call change? When I see more and more homeless people under the bridge near by and hear about steaks Obama serving at White House – I'm confused is Obama forgot already what he should stand for?

February 3, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  16. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Be still my heart! Not only did Coop ask about the War on Terror but Pres. Obama gave an outstanding answer.

And I love the final question....great job Cooper. I don't think I have any right to be proud, but I am. I'm proud of what a great job that my favorite network and journalist did. And it's quite a nice shout out you gave, Coop. You should sleep well tonight.

If the man needs a cigarette...let him. I don't like the habit but I can't blame him.

17. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Anderson: I have to admit, that was a great interview you had with President Obama. Good mix of questions. Good job to you and those behind the scenes that assisted. Thanks.

18. jane

Please, let's leave Obama alone about his smoking habits. I can't understand the war on smokers. With crime abounding, even on Wall Street, let us give smokers a break! Let's go after fat people. Or this just live and let live.

19. Bridget, TX

Anderson you did an awesome job!! TY for thinking of us as you asked your questions.

20. Tom K Frankfort, NY

We have study in contrasts here...George Bush wished to speak from
    a position of authority regardless of whether his position was defensible or not. Barrack Obama's position is that of flexiblitiy, a
    willingness to analyze and to arrive at a decision. I only hope that he
    moves quickly, and decisively enough and that he is not perceived as indecisive or weak.

21. Jacqueline, NY

@Mike, Syracuse NY
    "@Bea. Sorry, I don’t buy the ‘everybody does it’ answer. Obama said he was different. HE set the bar, and he is failing to meet it."

My Dear, Mike,

How can you judge that Obama is failing? He hasn't even been in office four weeks and, yet he has four years to prove himself.

22. Maureen T

Great questions Andy! 🙂 You are the best!!

23. Christina

The Obama administration needs to reach out to the American people like he did during his campaign. If he would continue to have emails sent out about what's going on, the American's who supported him during his campaign would be educated on the issues.

24. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Wow!!!!! Pres. Obama and First Lady were in school to visit see kids and read the book for kids!!!! That is so cool!!!

25. Fay - California

The President is right about not using the War On Terror label–it's too tied with the Bush Administration's failed and highly criticized policies.

26. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Thanks for asking about the White House Pup Anderson!
    XO's and tail wags!

27. Derek

I agree with Roland Martin. As a homeowner in Texas, I have no idea how this Stimulus package will effect me personality or my family. Are you going to help my wife find a new job. Will the package help my small business grow? Will this stimulus package stop my home from going into foreclosure? I'm tired of hearing about the banks getting help - What about the people of this great land??? While CEO's are paying out billions in bonuses - that our money that could be helping the people - the hard working people of this country.

28. Bonnie

I think with President Obama we have someone that displays confidence. I believe what he says and I trust him. I haven't always been a fan (Hillary was my candidate) but he has slowly won me over. I'm even sort of warming to michelle.

February 3, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  29. vanessa from silver spring, MD

I agree with Roland on the fact that President Obama needs to sell this stimulus plan to the American people by going back to basics (Bread and butter), but I agree with David G. that President Obama has been doing pretty good with selling his stimulus package. The President is just going to have to tell the Democrats, Look, get this junk out of the plan, and he is going to have to tell the republicans, did you forget who won, this isn't your stimulus plan, it's America's plan. Stop nitpicking every little thing and throwing it out there to the people to try to discourage them on what were trying to do. The Democrats have to give up their little pet projects and the Republicans need to realize that America voted for the democrats, their sick of the same, so why would I agree to put your policies of the same into this package.

P.S President stop smoking! LOL

February 3, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  30. Zynga GA

I'm a strong supporter of Probama but to be perfectly honest thank heavens for the republican objection to all the useless projects. Wasteful spending is anything that doesnt directly impact the people who are hurting right now

February 3, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  31. Bridget, TX

@Catherine, I think we all need to work together and not push any party away. If we're going to survive this tsunami we're going to all have to put our differences aside and come togeher. I just don't get why the GOP and some dems. don't recognize how bad things are and we need to really come together. If we don't come together we're going to all fall together.

February 3, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  32. xtina, chicago IL

conservatives believe all Americans should receive equal tax cuts. what's wrong w/ that?

February 3, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  33. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

I love President Obama's attitude! He is awesome!
    ADOPT A RESCUE PUP PRESIDENT OBAMA!
    sorry, i didn't mean to shout.

February 3, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  34. brian

Based on recent events, how does the average citizen trust the Democratic party which desires to expand goverment programs, but whose members don't seem to want to pay taxes to support those programs?

February 3, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  35. Venkat Srinivasan

I am happy to see President Obama face the situation very boldly today. I am quite positive that with the bipartisan support, he will win the hearts of the people. A huge challenge is the economy and my suggestion is that he and his team need to send out packages (tax breaks, stimulus, bad bank etc.) separately instead of combining into one big package. That might boost Wallstreet.

February 3, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  36. Michelle

C'mon get the puppy already!

February 3, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  37. Jack

The american people gave Obama the vote now they need to give him there support and an chance try and fix this failing economy. The republicans forget easily that it was their policies over the last 8 years that got us here. The american public have not forgotten that and those that are bent on dividing this country must be voted OUT OF OFFICE. The republican senate and congress are being egged on by LED by radio talk show hosts. Maybe they should follow that career instead of screwing up a president who wants to join together the american people

February 3, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  38. xtina, chicago IL

honesty is one thing. bad judgment and inexperience are another. Obama scares me with the continuous parade of tax cheaters

February 3, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  39. Leslie Texas

This stimulus must be just that a stimulus.... If your going to save the economy don't give my money to people that abuse it ie: big banks. put it back in our pockets, give it to companies that will use it for which it is intended putting people back to work. I am sick of the rich getting richer on our dime. I am thankful that I am in healthcare and still have a job. I can still afford to feed my family of four thank god but that is not saying that it is an easy thing. Come on washington get real and do whats right instead of what is right to the person lobbying your vote.

February 3, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  40. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Although I can understand why people like the idea that the president is acting "just like them," but that idea frightens me.

February 3, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  41. Robert

Congrats Anderson on the interview. I think it is odd that we are making a big deal about the cabinet pics that Obama made. And rather than prviding support and closing the issue and moving on to bigger things we seem to be doing the old thing of dwelling on the past. There are more important issues on Pres. Obama's desk then a nominie not paying taxes. Lets help the pres. to move on and not force the issue to make a man admit his mistake. I wonder what we gained by him saying I screwed up. He can say that 1000 times and still not be in the same lauge as Bush.

Cheers

February 3, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  42. Shillie, Sioux Falls, SD

This interview is a perfect example of why I tune in every night to watch AC360. Great questions and keeping things to the point without being pushy. President Obama seems like such a down to earth leader and that is such a breathe of fresh air! Now, hopefully we can move past this Tom Daschle issue and continue on the right path of getting this economy turned around.

Oh yeah, I have to say I agree with Angela from Hodgson, Anderson you look fantastic today! I don't know if I've ever seen eyes that blue!

February 3, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  43. Don

I think it is admirable that the President can admit mistakes and I think it is more important to trust him – which I do. He is both very intelligent and very well educated – and I honestly believe that he desires the good of the American people in general and not just a small group of wealthy and/or powerful people.

February 3, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  44. Jasmine- Spokane

I think it would be an interesting idea if the government went to the people, since it is run by us, and ask of opinions about what we as a country could do for each other. Something like a survey... it couldn't hurt..

February 3, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  45. Robert

Great, President Obama finally admits he "screwed up". What about the Treasury Secretary. What message is this sending? Don't pay taxes until your caught. Don't give all the credit to President Obama, Give some to Tom Daschle, He stepped down, which is the right thing to do. No one is above the law, no matter what their credentials. So far I am not "wow'ed" by the President. "Change, Change", let's see some. Following the straight and narrow is a pain. But that is what he promised.

February 3, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  46. Patti

Only the american people stood to benefit from Daschle's knowledge, skill, ability, to overhaul healthcare in America. No wonder the GOP had to take him out!

February 3, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  47. Sharon

I am late just got here!
    Looking at the interview!

February 3, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  48. Michelle D. Ontario ,Canada

Amen to that ! People are indeed suffering stop agrueing and settle it like adults Gop's and Democrats!

February 3, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  49. vincent

Excellent panel discussion so far. I though it was just me that didn't understand what was in the stimulus bill, the panel is correct...Obama et al really need to explain this package and how it will work to the American people!

February 3, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  50. Alicia James, Brooklyn

The public needs to realize that yes our situation is dire, but, we must allow the Pres. & his cabinet the time to get it together.
    I'm not saying they should have carte blanch, but they deserve the opportunity to do the job he was elected to do!

February 3, 2009 at 10:33 pm |