February 3rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/3/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Lori from IL

In regards to Roland's comment about "go to the people who put you in office...show them how it affects their community" – that's exactly what President Obama is doing this weekend, through a series of "neighborhood meetings" across the country.

February 3, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  2. Beth/Boston

@ Ginger- Love that idea- 4% mortgage rates for all .... makes good sense and it's simple – not alot of "ifs, buts, and thens" – just across the board 4%. . Not sure of the negatives... All I can see is a way out for many Americans.

February 3, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  3. xtina, chicago IL

bea- has a good point again. most americans have a privilege mentality. even the "poor" have cell phones, cars, TVs

February 3, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  4. Taylor, OH

I disagree with Roland- I'd have thought we learned from the Bush administration- image is NOTHING. I don't want to be "convinced" of things, I want to know the truth.
    I don't want to waste my time on nonsense- I was truth and honesty, no matter how unappealing it sounds. It's worth it so we can all make better, more informed decisions.

February 3, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  5. Kendra-GA

I agree with Rolland Martin, getting the people back to work should be the focus.

February 3, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  6. Ralph

How could Obama know about Dashel's tax infromation if Dashel just found out himself a couple weeks ago! We all have made mistakes with taxes because they make the forms so confusing.

February 3, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  7. Armand

Can you please explain why a family of 6 trying to survive, is targeted so easily when it comes to owing the I.R.S. and the I.R.S. gets results and collects(a lousy 3600.00) or else jail time is so immenent, But, if you work for the Government, you are not so forced into repaying those back taxes(140,000.00) as quickly, and learn about it,like its ok to get away with it because I work for the government, and nobody knows until they are applying for a"better job position"? And what about a" Government Bailout" for those of us who have lost our homes to Foreclosure prior to someone finally listening to the little people and trying to do better and give more to the same Banks that have taken it from us? what a way to get a government Raise...

February 3, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  8. antoinett Headen

The question isn't wheather President Obama made a mistake in selecting Dashel. The question is as long as Dashel has held a political office why didn't his tax issue come up sooner. It's sure not President Obama's fault he didn't pay but it is someone;s fault why they didn't catch it before January 20, 2009! Long before President Obama took office

February 3, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  9. lynn

All the republicans are proposing, including McCain, is tax cuts....isn't that Republican pork...catering to their base. President Obama made it clear in all of his interviews (yes, I watched them all...Anderson you were the most casual, putting on foot on the opposite knee and adjusting your tie) and he has made very clear what he will not remove from the bill.

The press and his opposition and David Gergen have always underestimated him!!

February 3, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  10. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Maureen~ I think Roland is cool!

February 3, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  11. Marcy

In reference to the tax issues with Tom Daschle I don't these gentlemen are not the only ones with forgetful minds. Every House and Senate persons should be checked right now and cleared of any tax invasions. Lets see how clean they all are.

February 3, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  12. Esma

Roland! You're making sense! Welcome, darling, we've been expecting you.

February 3, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  13. Rikki, Fargo, ND

True story, Ashley! That really is the biggest part of admitting that you made a mistake!

And is it just me or does anyone else want to see what Anderson looks like behind the resolute desk?

February 3, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  14. Jenn, Stanwood WA

It must have been amazing to have a conversation with the most powerful man in the world who actually knows how to speak and has a plan. At times, I'm still in shock that he's president.

15. EM-Fort Wayne, IN

John, Jefferson City Mo. -Nice to hear that...good for you. I think we need more supportive talk like that than all the bickering thats been going on...we are all on the same team

16. Isabel Abreu

More dolls!
    But in a country in recession and economic crisis, I do not agree with this type of consumerism!

17. Ralph

I think Obama is a new kind of president. He is truely trying to have transparancy in his administration, but these "bumbs" in the road (i.e Dashel) keep setting him back.

18. Liz

I love his statement about wanting to be President in challenging times. I've often thought that a lot of President Clinton's great ratings had to do with the fact that he had few challenges during his time in office, other than personal ones that he brought upon himself.

President Bush had more than a few, but wasn't equipped to handle them. Other than his hair quickly turning gray, I think our President is up for it. He's humble, but he'll be tough when and where he needs to be.

19. Bea

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. I hope they have figured out the chess move the executives will make if compensation is limited.

20. Anna W.

I don't believe you could find a more earnest leader/politician not only in the United States but indeed the whole world.

As a Canadian observer with some critical perspective, you guys haven't had an honest person doing the people's job in so long you can't seem to recognize it now that it's right in front of you.

21. anne cotton

even strangers have said to me, he is one of us; but, we won't allow him to make the same errors we would. he is our only hope. who can follow his act? we are in love with this man and his family. Many people went way, way out for him. they don't want to be embarassed by doing so. we fear the president is a beautiful green lawn above earth alive with grubs.

22. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson Cooper interviewing President Barack Obama. Two of my favorite men.

Yes, EJ.....
    They are my favorite men!!!! They are great handsome guys!

23. Rhonda

The stimulus package does create jobs, it is investments in key projects that create the funding to hire the people to accomplish to work...... For these funds to be used, someone has to do the bid on the work, do it and be paid for it.... new work, new jobs.

24. Sarah

The problem with having such high expectations is the disappointment that comes along with them when the presidency doesn't go ideally. Enough partisan clashes and inopportune additions to the stimulus bill. Let's focus on the real issue: the economy.

25. Jane

Why does the President keep talking down the economy? We all know it is bad, we dont need more adjectives to get it.. now it is time to talk more about what he is going to do to turn it around.
    Executive pay by itself will not solve our problems

26. John Haury in Music City

President Obama is my president and I will support him as he tries to reign in the democrat party. He is being sabotaged by his own leadership and I am not surprised. They are awful.. It is clear that the president and the republican middle can work together to craft a stimulus bill that could help.

I did not vote for the President but I am proud of him and his relentless effort each day to move forward. He is action all the time and although his cabinet choices have had issues he is trying all the time to make good choices. He has been let down by his own people. They need to fall in line and help this president for all our sakes. God bless him and his family.

27. Bridget, TX

Sharon, i disagree, I enjoy the light questions. I want to know about the person outside of the crisis we find ourselves in.

February 3, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  28. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

I believe that David Gergen might just be a political prophet. I do believe that he is the wisest man I know. Again, Gergen, I bow down to you.

Is there a way we can find out where Cooper gets his wardrobe? He always looks so professional and stylish.

Pres. Obama shouldn't have an issue getting the press' attention. They are quite a likable match.

February 3, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  29. Vina

It's only been two weeks right? I'm still believe President Obama can help turn this economy in the right direction. Geez....give him a chance.

February 3, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  30. Michelle D. Ontario ,Canada

I agree with Roland Martin they need to reach out to show the average person how this can help them in this tough time.

February 3, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  31. Phyllis

Roland,

If not 1%, what percent. Keeping it vague and unclear is how this has gotten out of hand. We did not vote to continue the philosophy of the Republicans, and that includes fiscal policies. How do we citizens get our concerns heard?

February 3, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  32. Jasmine- Spokane

The democrats need to get it through their minds that this is a time of crisis, not happ-go-lucky fun time, lets go spend money on bon-bons. Obama should have known from the start that a major majority in Congress being the same party as president would take advantage of that fact. Obama needs to flex his muscles and show who's boss!!

February 3, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  33. Kathy

How refreshing, a President who can admit he made a mistake...it's 8 years for him !!

February 3, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  34. carol ostrander

Obama has been in office for only two weeks and has already started tackling an astounding number of huge issues - I don't understand why the media are nitpicking these actions, such as parsing out a few singular items from the stimulus package to criticize, rather than looking at the larger picture, which is that he is moving boldly on many fronts. Can't we cut him a little slack to do his JOB, people? Do I care if he's still smoking? No, I don't care if he's not a PERFECT person, folks, I do care if he's effectively doing his job of being Our President, which I have every reason to support. Must we always be looking for the flaws, rather than the gifts that a leader offers? I continue to support Barack Obama as an outstanding, nuanced, thankfully intelligent new President – give him space to DO THE JOB! Thank you. Carol from Arizona

February 3, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  35. Marteen, Reno NV

Good Evening All, That is whay i said yesterday. Concentrate on getting the money moving again and worry about the pork later. People are suffering out there.

February 3, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  36. Linda

I just love how the President and The First Lady interact with the kids at the school, soooo cute.
    Another thing wil Rollins, What did the Republics do and why wasn't it a problem with them when Bush was spending his trillions and it going nowhere except to his corporate buddies they were worried then and complaining about where the money was going, at least President Obama is talking about doing something for us taxpayers

February 3, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  37. Pati Mc

@ Chris Sosa – Boston, MA – Seriously, thanks for your comment – our Anderson is rocking this. I agree that the interview has even surpassed my expectations as well. The perfect blending of tough and personal questions. President and Mrs. Obama are just so "human' and I love it.

February 3, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  38. Zynga GA

Anderson. I love your reporting and your interviewing skills. They need to put you on earlier. You make me late for work.

February 3, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  39. Marc

Wow, a president that admits a mistake...that's refreshing. Did our last president EVER admit to a mistake?

February 3, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  40. Magdalena James

How difficulty is it to find an honest politician in DC who has no tax problem? It seems like every one that is picked with the "right experience" for the job and who is "well respected" in DC, ends up with a tax issue. How come they feel, tax laws do not apply to them and they can get away with it? In this economy, we cannot afford this politician. This certainly is a troubling trend.

February 3, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  41. Cathy

Finally we have a President who is willing to admit that he "screwed up". George Bush and Company have never and will never apologize for what they have done to this country. We are where we are because of the Bush years. Obama will not be able to fix this in the first 2 weeks of his Presidency. Give him time...give him space. He is our best hope. He's an honest, forthright and intelligent man. Let him do the job we elected him to do.

February 3, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  42. melody

Ed Rollins is wrongs

February 3, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  43. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Gergen right; Martin wrong.

February 3, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  44. Dee

President Obama has a tough job trying to change Washington. We would have to get rid of everyone and start over-not a bad idea. It is certainly going to take more than 15 days in office! Unfortunately, we thrive more on the mistakes made rather than our accomplishments. Forget today and move on Mr. President! I still believe in you! Dee

February 3, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  45. Sylvia

The new secretary of the treasury didn't pay his taxes until he got caught and he got confirmed. Why not think that Daschle's issue would be overlooked? I think that the stimulus package should not have all the pork they are used to putting in legislature.

February 3, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  46. Carol

We don't care of our President smokes! Just want him to lead us out of the mess American is in.

February 3, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  47. Steven - Toluca Lake, CA

Coop, how cool was that hanging with the Pres.

President Obama is a man of character. He owns up to his mistake, doesn't try to redirect the question and is honest about it. This is what the American people need in leadership.

I was infuriated about the Stimulus package, his vetting process but he's a human being. You should stay on point a not make his smoking an issue.

February 3, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  48. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, How do the Democrats justify all the pork in the stimulus bill? Why can't they just get the country back on its feet without getting something on the side? This is what angers me.

February 3, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  49. Shalahn

Its great the president is taking responsiblity for the mishaps but its amazing to me how everyone he chooses is getting picked apart. Those men with so called "tax problelms" need to be in jail"!!! If it were anyone else (another race) they would have been in jail for tax evasion but because of who they are (race), its being called tax problems. Everyone in congress should be investigated!!!!

February 3, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  50. Bea

The problem is that most people are not savers and are poor money managers. Any stimulus plan that gives drip by drip money to people won't work I think. They won't manage that drip well enough. The benefit must be significant and immediate so that people will see enough of a benefit and spend.

February 3, 2009 at 10:27 pm |