February 3rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/3/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Renate

Love AC360. We watch every night. I am Canadian but born and raised in Europe. I did not think you were ready for a black President yet and are very happy that America and world embraced him.
    ARe you Americans not a bit unrealistic? Asking the President if he has smoked cigarettes since being in office? In Europe, a president or head of state can smoke, have mistresses , but as long as he does a good job, they dont care about his private life. LEAVE THE CIGS ALONE> IT is an invasion of privacy.
    I am curious to find out, how Anderson will handle that question in a few minutes. Good interview, good newscasting as usual. David Gergen a voice of reasoning. Renate

February 3, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  2. Cathy

How many others have "made a mistake" and not paid their taxed there in Washington DC. We wouldn't need a stimulus loan if they all paid off their taxes.

February 3, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  3. Renee

Oh, Roland, I am falling in love with you tonight! Show me the money baby! It is about JOBS and MONEY!

@ Gergen or Roland: What time is Obama's announcements tommorrow?

February 3, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  4. Charlene

Hello Anderson,
    Great interview!
    I think President Obama is smart to come out first and admit his mistake before the Republicans can start their finger pointing. He is a human being not God. Remember folks, he's be in office for only 15 days. President Obama was handed an unbelievable mess and mistakes are going to be made. Tom Daschle appointment's immediate withdrawl is small in comparision to the jobs lost and greedy bank executives.

Charlene from Durham, NC

February 3, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  5. Lezz in VA

I don't think it was necessary troublesome day for Obama, however, for the vast majority of american citizens paying attention this was an eye opening day.

I just don't accept these public officals not paying their taxes. Had Obama not put them in the spot light who knows whether or not the American Public would have become aware of this nonsense.

There have been serveral individuals with problems that I would think are above their particular stations, ex governors and what not. It's a disgrace.

It makes me wonder the qualifications and conditions of other individuals in hi public places.

February 3, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  6. Michelle D. Ontario ,Canada

I agree with you Carmine-Micheal Phelps was just letting loose it wasn't the brightest thing in world .I think Ceo's stealing money is worse too!

February 3, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  7. Mike, Syracuse NY

OK, that can't be the real Roland Martin. I find myself agreeing with him.

8. Tajuan in FL

Michael Phelps did the crime, now time to pay the price!

9. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

If they prosecute Plelps that is just kangaroo justice. My goodness quit picking on the boy for a little hit or two. Geez~It should be legal anyway!
    Just look at Phelps! He is the pic of health!

10. Maureen T

How I wish Roland Martin was as cool and calm as President Obama!

11. EM-Fort Wayne, IN

I agree with Anderson and Roland's comments on the stimulus

12. Neil A.

I would like to say that this is one man who is trying to succed. It is not going happen over night. Lets give him and his people a chance,

13. John

Can we give Obama a break here.... he has been in office for 2 whole weeks

News media needs to change....

John

14. Brian, Gowanda, NY

Evening Anderson, I wish I could have been in your shoes tonight. President Obama is an amazing President, and it a shame that a life long politician like Dashel could have jepordized his position. The american public is getting very tired of this, and before you know it, we will be dumping something besides TEA overboard.

15. Trish Gorham

Looks like a nice Public School. Was it considered as a potential school for Sasha and Malia?

16. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Well, I got to give President Obama credit. He sure does have the confidence that this stimulus package is going to work. I, do, have to agree with the President that we need to get this package passed and moving forward. The longer we wait to make changes, whatever they are, the more critical the economy gets.

17. Ed, Syracuse, NY

Hello all. I have to agree with David Gergen when he defended the fact that Tom Daschle shouldn’t be grouped with Al Capone. I believe he was going to bring a lot of good things to the table. That said, I hope like you Anderson, that Mr. President Obama keeps keeping them honest and cleaning house & senate.

18. toni, anchorage alaska

I am impressed that Obama can admit his mistakes on national T.V.
    Not to many can do that. I still feel comfortable with him as our president, and think he is the best man for the job. He does have some things to work out, and I'm sure he's going to work hard to get all this fixed.

19. Lauren--NY

Congratulations again, Anderson–it's a great interview. Tough to cram that into ten minutes, and from what we've seen so far you've aced it. Great work.

Chalk me up as another one who was extremely appreciative after hearing "I screwed up" out of the president's mouth–it's about time. If only his predecessor had half as much sense.

February 3, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  20. Stacy

David Gergen, can you please use a different sport for your metaphors? Some of us don't understand football. Thanks. Heh.

February 3, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  21. Angela

Can someone tell the Rep to stop playing games with our future....

February 3, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  22. Ginger HoganGin

Where's the people's bailout?
    I heard talk of a 4% mortgage refinance for everyone in the US, as stimulation for the housing market. I think this is a fabulous idea, as it would make everyone’s mortgage affordable, therefore people would have money left over to by more goods, new cars, and even sell their home to move up, allowing for more new buyers as well. The banks, I’m sure would rather have a steady income of payments as opposed to foreclosures. This would allow everyone, buyers and sellers, to obtain homes at the new lower values, and henceforth, the equity crises would end. The mortgage brokers could make a small fee to do the countless refi’s. And for the first time in history, everyone could have the going rate. Beats bankruptcy. The Fannies and Fredies and banks have been somewhat compensated by bailouts, now they can give the taxpayers a bailout, might just be the only stimulus needed!

February 3, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  23. Don

I have more respect for a president who stands before the American people and admits that he "screwed up" than I would for one who would stand before the American people and lie to us about it.

Keep up the good effort Mr. President. It'll all come together.

February 3, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  24. jean Sprecher

So far interesting programm BUT who cares about his pets or cigarettes when we talk about a major crisis???

February 3, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  25. Susan

I, like most Americans are not pleased with all of the politicians who are having issues because they have not paid their taxes. However, if Tom Daschle is truely what they say – pivotal to getting healthcare fixed, then who lost more today. Tom Daschle or the American people.

February 3, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  26. Deb

Hey Anderson...and everyone else, give President Obama a break already! Has he smoked a cigarette since becoming President? As a cigarette smoker and former pot smoker I think he's doing well if he hasn't asked Michael Phelps to pass that bong! Geez!!!

February 3, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  27. Rikki, Fargo, ND

David Gergen...I love the football reference! 🙂 My two loves thrown together: politics and football!

February 3, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  28. Jasmine- Spokane

Michellel Obama is probably the most admirable people for me right now. She is able to connect with children so well! I don't mean about kids her age, but teens are immediately compelled to her. Fashion from the campaign trail have actually shown up at the mall......

29. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

I love Michelle Obama. She seems like the kind of woman you can just be yourself around. No holds barred.

30. Bridget, TX

As much as I love knowing what's going on and seeing the president and first lady, I kinda wish we wouldn't have everyday access to their lives. Has any other president every move been so scrutinized as P. Obama? Not to be mean, but I honestly remember going months without seeing or hearing from GW Bush, Clinton and Sr. Bush or were they on and I missed it?

31. Debra H in San Francisco

I wish the American people would understand that the President is only human and will make mistake! He has already told us this and I am glad he is a Man and said "I Screwed Up"

32. Pati Mc

@ Jonathan Harrison – Amen!

33. Bruce Dunbar

Barack needs to back off on the banks and publicly recognize that there are some excellent banks like BBT in North Carolina

34. Kassie Wright

I'm so impressed with Obama so far. I know that I was impressed with him to begin with, but honestly? My respect for him continues to grow exponentially.

He is certainly a refreshing person to hear talk, he can express that he screwed up...this man is a real role model. Michelle as well, these people are real role models, that young men and women can learn from.

Thank goodness this time has come.

35. sean nyc

I strongly believe that Obama kept those "wasteful" items in the stimulus package, because he KNEW that the Republicans and other critics would need to pick at something. Now that they did, he can get the real package passed. It was a very strategic move.

36. Vanessa, TX

I wonder if Anderson got to see the "place were they make candy and chocolates" lol

37. JoyB

good interview AC.

38. anne

Yes, he did promise no lobbyists. One more promise he isn't going to keep, yet there are so many of you still in love with him even though he is just a regular lying politician. Everything for him is a learning experience. That's not what I want in a President. Our fore fathers must be rolling over in their graves.

39. Penny NY/VA

What a true man. President Obama has admitted his mistake, good on him. The most important thing is he plans to make up for his mistake. Way to go President Obama, continue to trust God and make the most informed decisions.

40. Heather

I just want Rep. and Dem. to some how make jobs and good pay checks come back to the states. Everyone is lossing hope and more there lives. People left right and center are killing them self because they can't handle the stress!!!!!

41. Niraj Chandra, Canada

My admiration for Mr Obama has gone up a few notches after he admitted a mistake. It takes a great man to say "I screwed up".

42. Susan

I think President Obama is doing a tremendous job. Not only has he reached out to Republicans he has made swift decisions for the good of the country - including accepting the withdrawal of Senator Daschle. He is a man of strong character and continues to inspire with his honesty and commitment.

43. xtina, chicago IL

Sorry but the guy almost let THREE people be the Cabinet who didn't pay their income taxes. What would be a deal-breaker for you people, if Obama makes another "screw up"? How bad would it have to be to be "unforgivable"?

44. Mike, Syracuse NY

There is a school of thought that those in command should not admit mistakes. It's not so much ego, as to instill confidence in subordinates. That's why past Presidents have done so very infrequently.

February 3, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  45. EJ (USA)

Anderson, did you get to go down to the place where they make candy in the White House?

February 3, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  46. Catherine

Push the Republicans back as hard as they pushed Democrats back in the past. The Republicans created this mess, who are they to criticize Obama for trying to get the best of the best on his team despite the tax issues.

February 3, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  47. karli, central WI

Of all the interviews Obama gave today that I've seen, Anderson's is by far the best. Anderson, I think your implication was right – the Democrats did start to lose control of the message. Its nice to see Obama making an effort to take the reins back. Of COURSE he wouldn't promote a package he didn't think would be effective ... and the American people need to be reminded of that, over and over again if need be.

February 3, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  48. vanessa from silver spring, MD

I love that the Obama's went to a local school today. The President needed a break from the whole White House scene. Those kids acted more mature then the people in the WH. LOL

February 3, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  49. Barbara

It has only been 15 days. Give the man a break. He has not enjoyed the break that all other Presidents have had. Bush came into office with a balanced budget and left it in a mess. Obama has had to hit the ground running, trying to fix what Bush and his crew destroyed. I think we can say Obama has inherited 3 wars: Iraq, Afghanistan and the economic war here at home.

Maybe he should have appointed all of Bushes staff and made them clean up the mess they created... you know like your mother would have done if you messed up at home.

February 3, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  50. Peter

I think we need to support teh president adn relaize that the Republican party is still on the same bankrupt platform of ideas, and same duplicitous tactics tehy got form Karl Rove and others. When is justice coming back to the Senate? May be a chance with Pres.Obama and V.P.Biden...but they earned a chance.

February 3, 2009 at 10:23 pm |