February 3rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/3/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Linda

Hope it is covered Anderson
    Admire you as a Journalist!!!! and listen every eve.

February 3, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  2. Simone

Obama is too busy trying to get something done to spend time snooping for skeletons in everybody's closets.

February 3, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  3. Keith Lafayette la,

A president 3 weeks are a trip the men has been in office 3 weeks looked a the comments on he A lobbyist, this an that geezzz i presume Rome was built in 3 weeks this country is shot an will go down the tubes as long an you have Peter taking away from Paul, Repubs, an Dems not an the same road over an over will sink this country i,m sick of media, an all the rest taking a penny an blowing it up an turning it into a million dollar story ,,,,,,, people need a break from all the same stuff day in an day out .........THANK

February 3, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  4. Shirley

You know Anderson, after our President said he messed up that really humanize him, and i'm a modern republician. It's really cool being a democrat, will be changing my party ASAP!!!

Republican NO more.
    Holding my head down in shame!!

February 3, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  5. Bonnie Crawford

Good Evening Anderson & Erica, fellowbloggers. Good interview with President Obama. I have great respect that the President made himself accountable for Mr. Daschle. It's too bad that Mr. Daschle didn't decline to accept the nomination before this happened. Does anyone have any ideas about who the President will consider to replace him to deal with healthcare?

I'm disgusted about how Congress (Democrats & Republicans) are handling the stimulus package. While they argue, we are bleeding jobs, more foreclosures and we need help now. I'm a Democrat, but I like what the Republicans say about helping homeowners & taxpayers. Democrats need to rally around the President and deal with priorities only on this stimulus bill. They have some worthwhile issues, but save them for another time. Right now, the economy and people are top priority. We have to stop the bleeding!

February 3, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  6. Beth

Our economy is speeding to 'hell in a handbasket,' and we're concerned about the president saying "I screwed up." On the other hand, people in lines to collect unemployment benefits look a lot like the bread lines of the 'great depression.'

If this president fails – as it seems a lot of people in one of the houses of congress wishes – it will not be pretty. In fact, we may find that we are all, wealthy/poor in the same handbasket!

February 3, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  7. Michelle D. Ontario ,Canada

I agree the non issue questions don't seem pernant but it show us Obama's human side the dad side not the presiedent stting behind the desk side .

February 3, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  8. EM-Fort Wayne, IN

Seriously, confidence in Pres. Obama is lost already because of this...how realistically are we thinking about politics at Washington? He is doing a good job, Pres. Bush wasn't this honest with Americans...give him a break

February 3, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  9. Tim

One thing about the bonuses. I agree to having a reasonable limit set. But one must remember that if there is no incedntive to run a public company, than that company would likely either not exsist or be run by non-competent person. Why shoul athletes make more than executives that are responsible for 1000's of jobs. All of us that work desire for more money on the job.

February 3, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  10. Rebekah Jensen

If I were Barack obama I'd probably be sitting up at night asking myself, "Why do I even bother?" And if I were Michelle Obama, I'd take him to visit a 2nd grade class and say, "Here's your answer. Hope for a better future."

February 3, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  11. John, Jefferson City Mo.

I am a staunch Republican, Pres. Obama is MY president. we need to support him and doing everything as individuals that we can to help him. Its so obvious by watching him talk he wants to get things done he wants to help us.
    He cant do it all by himself, I've been holding my breath for the last 6 years at least with him we have a chance to catch our breath.
    We cant expect miracles from him, but when I hear him talk I believe we have a chance, maybe just that is all we need. ty

February 3, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  12. melody

Obama did not said no lobbyists he said none in his campaign not administration not all lobbyists are bad

February 3, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  13. sharon

The local school principal was busted for marijuana when she was a teacher. She was promoted to principal later because no criminal charges were filed. If she can survive, surely Michael Phelps can and win more gold medals.

February 3, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  14. Vanessa, TX

Good evening everyone, a bit late but glad to join in..
    I'm watching the interview and i have to say I'm glad we have a president that can admit his mistakes...not gives us the run-around or try to cover it up

February 3, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  15. Kim from PA

This is an administration in it's infancy, he made a mistake along with many others. He owned up to his mistake, meanwhile people are starving, losing their jobs, watching their pensions vanish, and we are being manipulated by the losing republican party who would rather give money to banks than the American people. Perspective please!

February 3, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  16. karen nc

David,
    I believe we should all get together and send the house and congress baby pacifers,, they are acting like babies, crying because "their" wants are not met.. well "their" wants are what got us in this mess.. and Mori21 you are correct, Bush would NEVER admit to a mistake, President Obama is not acting like its his way or no way.. we elected him to make a change, not to be daddy to all these babies.

February 3, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  17. Jan

Hi All. Great interview, Anderson. Is President Obama as personable and approachable as he seems? David Gergen, you are my hero. Thank you for your intelligent, well thought out comments.

February 3, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  18. Heather - Spokane, WA

Just from seeing parts of this interview and from seeing Obama talk in general, he is the type of politician who is not step-toeing around the issues that are presented in front of them or questions that are asked to him and that is what we need right now

February 3, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  19. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Indeed Rikki, it is quite a feat. Now we just need to hope that he learns from his mistakes.

February 3, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  20. Derek

I applaud Obama's honesty to own up to screwing up. Obama was an excellent campaigner; a veteran. Now, he is in a new position of being President. So, now he is in the rookie status - so, I do expect some mistakes at this time, but the timing is so bad now. Obama has to jump into veteran status quickly due to the economy, national security, etc...

21. Pam

How refreshing to hear the President admit to a mistake..something the last administration would never do, no matter what. When one is willing to admit a mistake, it shows strength, humility, and the knowledge that we can learn from our mistakes.

22. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Mike, Syracuse, NY, I agree, but I don't think George W. Bush did that much better.

23. EJ (USA)

Anderson Cooper interviewing President Barack Obama. Two of my favorite men.

24. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

David in Indiana......
    Yes, i agree with you too. I know he made lot of mistake what he had to do choose people or don't have paid their taxes......

25. Amy Erixon

Give the guy a break, he's on side for all of us.

I appreciate you think being aggressive is the media's job, but give him the benefit of the doubt about his commitment to change.

Who cares if he is a smoker, who cares about the first dog, honestly, don't you think the substance of his policy direction for the economic recovery is the main story?

Amy Erixon

26. Dale

Anderson – I like this President, because he talks the American's public language. Like him or not you have to give him credit for trying.

27. Ben

I've been watching the interview and Obama keeps talking alot about the construction projects, but isn't construction given one of the smallest chunks of this bill? Also, why are small businesses barley included even though they employee about 80% if the nation's population?

28. brenda

President Obama has been in office, what 14 days. Let's give him a break. I think the media needs to back off. Change doesn't happen over night.

29. Angela Gomez-Hodgson

Excellent interview with the president. I really like Anderson as a serious reporter. ( I did not like New Years with the comedian... awful)..
    But What he is doing today is what he does the best.!! and I have to say He looks totally awesome ...the suit , the hair ...everything!
    Just Great!

30. Michelle D. Ontario ,Canada

It seems the rich never pay taxes , they lie thier way around it and no one comes after them .

31. Eric

President Barack Obama will go down in history as one of this countries greatest President's. You can tell he really cares because he's been there. He's come through the ranks from a community organizer where he saw the real sufferings of real people. Now that he's in a position to do something about it is all I can say is stay tuned. It's going to be an incredible 4yrs. He's smart, well educated and connects with the American people. He's one of us people, give him a chance to do what he plans to do. I don't believe we're going to be disappointed.

32. Puneet

The president's interview tells us THREE important things. 1. He is not afraid to man-up in public to his mistakes, and 2. He is clear minded about his priorities 3. He knows the show is called AC360!

33. Nick D.

President Obama trusted Daschle as a Washington insider. That was his only mistake, and I am sure he learned a big lesson early on.
    If anything, Daschle owes the President and American people a huge apology!

34. Carmella

Tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth, can't wait to hear President Obama's answer to that question.

35. Linde in Arizona

President OBama needs to be commended for "stepping up" and taking responsibility in the Daschle situation. The Daschle episode is just one example of what has been wrong in Washington for to long with both Democrats and Republicans. Move forward, Mr. President, and "roll" a few more egos in the government!

36. Phyllis

Obama is right about the coverage given to the criticism of the stimulus package by the press; I think the press got caught up in over-exposing the criticism and may only, in retrospect, realize that they helped create the crisis of getting this passed... meanwhile Americans suffer. Rarely did reports include a clarification of the miniscule factors being criticized and balance this with substantive explanations of the total package.

37. bob

This is some change to believe in. Our democratic president and congress try to nominate tax cheats and give us a stimulus bill loaded with programs that don't stimulate the economy and belong in the budget, not in this emergency measure. Just like the pork thats been loaded into bills in the past.

38. Jasmine- Spokane

i am pleased to hear the Obama is being proactive and taking the bi-partisanship seriously. Twelve days in office and he has Washington on their feet. And I don't think that the Republicans are doing anything wrong; they just aren't used to being brought into a group for decision making.

39. Tiffany Davis

I think it was very commendable for President Obama to admit that he have made a mistake in his veting. The President was very honest and thoughtful in this interview.

40. xtina, chicago IL

carol has a great point. This is only the FIRST MONTH and we have three tax cheats that ALMOST made it, if not for being exposed. What kind of bad stuff is slipping through unchecked?

41. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

How refreshing Obama sounds. What a breath of fresh air after the last 8 years of cloud and fog and smog!

42. Christina

I respect Obama for owning up to his mistake, but I am becoming concerned that there might be more screw ups in his administration that he will later have to own up to. I am patiently waiting on some RELIEF.

43. Bridget, TX

I'm impressed with President Obama admitting he made a mistake, but I don't think Daschel should have resigned. If he's as good as everyone says he is, I believe the country is more hurt by him stepping down than him not paying his taxes.

44. Angela

Change is hard no matter who it is. I would like to give the Pres more time.

45. Amy

I think Pres. Obama is doing the best he can to get us out of this economic crisis. We also have to make our part... I support him all the way, he is very humble, love it. I PRAY FOR HIM!

46. Tiffaney

I think Obama is just "keeping it real" and it shows that he is honest, accountable and human.

February 3, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  47. Brian, Ireland

Hi all, From the outside looking in i think Obama has made a good start to what must be an impossible job. Politics will always be dirty but he seems to want to genuinely make change and clean it up as much as possible,hope it works. He seems like a nice guy,congrats america.

February 3, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  48. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

I loved that question "4 years or 8 years..." quite true.

Ugh. Is Phelps really an issue?

February 3, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  49. Mary

So – Obama screwed up. So did Daschle and Geithner. It makes me wonder how many other appointees yet to be named and how many Congressmen and Senators, current and past, have "screwed up" their taxes. Daschle and Geithner might just be the tip of the iceberg.

February 3, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  50. sylvia, chicago

@ Rene, change does not happen overnight; it took a good few years to create this mess and it will take at lest that long before we start seeing results...dont get discouraged or give up...moder history shows us that when we do that we don't always get the best results – look at how Russia reverted back to the old ways they so strongly denounced a few years back, all because change was not happening fast enough for them, because they wanted instant results and gratification

February 3, 2009 at 10:19 pm |