February 3rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/3/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Jack

I want to believe that this guy can get us back on a more favorable track, but seeing the list of his appointees and their problems and the pork in the proposed stimulus package. This is "Change that we can believe in?" Give me a break!!!!

2. Shalahn

I dont understand the comment about the presidents approval rating going down. People are not giving him a chance. Hes been president for like two weeks. It took republicans 8 years to mess the nation and economy up, give the man a chance!!!!!

3. Mary from the Big Sky of Montana

Hi Anderson

Really enjoy your show,, I have found CNN through the political race that lead us to electing our new president. I truly hope he is the man that he is telling us that he is. Great that he could own up to a mistake, however I m sure he knew about these candidates before he selected them. Way to go to the president for his being so open with the public and taking responsibility that he did make a mistake and not run from it or try to cover it up.

Mary

4. lynn

Mike in NY: At least he has set a bar which is more than I can say for the past 8 years. He is living with a corrupt system within which he has to form and run a gov't. Only ONE apt. has been officially made due to tax problems; why not mention of the hundreds of other apts.he has made?

Geithner was passed because even the Republicans know he was the man for the job.

5. Heather

He did a good thing by telling that he made an error. Listen know one person can fix the problems we are in. And I have faith that with everyone he has around him all will come up with something to help the people. I think his on the right road. But the Rep. and Dem. need to work it out and get along for the people we are the ones hurting. They are making a pay check of 400,000 or more.

6. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

Kim from PA-I couldn't have said it better myself!

7. Colleen

Did we really believe there were 'perfect' people in DC?? I don't think any president would be able to choose flawless folks – we all have issues that could in some way taint our lives and/or position in life. Let's be thankful this president is able to admit mistakes were made but that we must move on and try again. You know – 'if at first you don't succeed .....................'

8. Joan Francis

Quiet frankly, I love a man who are honest and up front with me, than a man who tries to cover up his mistake and then find reasons to justify his action.

President Obama's acceptance of messing up, only cause me to love him even more.

You go Mr. President, we are all behind you, just continue to be truthful to yourself and to your people.

9. Jane

It was a mistake, he owned up, how about those lobbists who are getting exempted from the strict rules he put forth? No one should be indispensable.

10. Mark

Also – where was the Republican outrage when the checks were given to the banks a few months ago – they decide to put their foot down now??

11. John Cooney

1. President Obama should seize the issue of tax complexity and how unfair that is to all.. keep it simple.
    2. Obama/staff, early statements and stimulus program reveal the inexperience that seems to be the key message of his administration so far.
    3. David Gergin needs to help Roland out . There seems to be light years seperating their analytical abilities

12. Jim

President, Congress, and House–wake up smell the coffee, package must effect consumers and businesses, not pork project.

13. Patti

Where has GOP concern about gov't spending been the past eight years?

14. KarenT

While the stimulus bill may not be perfect, the fact that the media and Republicans have beem talking about less than 1% of the entire bill vs. what the bill can potentially do for this country is shameful. We need to stop playing political games and the media should begin to do the service they exist for and inform the public on the reality of the stimulus plan vs. just repeating the Republican talking points.

15. DeeAnna Edens

Obama is clearly showing he's the most intelligent President we've had in a lot of years and he deserves the faith that we've placed in him. This interview shows that he is the man for the job.

February 3, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  16. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Yes, Pati, this really is an extraordinary interview. I'm glad to see Anderson is being so firm in his questioning. That's exactly what I was hoping for, and the interview's already exceeded my admittedly high expectations. 🙂

February 3, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  17. Dulcie - Denver

Good evening.

I'm still impressed with the President. Being able to say, "I screwed up" is huge for our leadership.

I've really tried to keep expectation in check, so I'm not really very disappointed. No matter how much transparency the President may want, it's just not how Washington works. He'll get there, but it's bound to be a bumpy road.

As always, I appreciate David Gergen's insight.

February 3, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  18. Jacqueline, NY

I think the Obama Administration's screw ups are due in part to the essence of time. They have inherited a crumbling country, and everybody has put the pressure on him to fix it "right now.'

That said, I think they should slow down. Haste makes waste. President Obama knows that he can not please everyone, so he shouldn't even try, especially now. I understand the need to have his cabinet in place to execute their goals, but the Obama administration should take the time to do it right just as they did during the campaign.

February 3, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  19. Alicia

Great job as always Anderson, and I like David Gergen applaud Pres. Obama for being a man and taking responsibility for his actions/decisions.

February 3, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  20. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Hill – try living in Upstate NY. Now that is some serious snow. I love your webcasts…and I’m sure Coop is very tired. I’m surprised he doesn’t go into hibernation.

February 3, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  21. Mary

I think President Obama is doing a spectacular job. I am so sorry to lose Tom Daschle from his cabinet, and they both are showing real integrity to make amends and keep going on to forge solutions. Look at the past eight years: in terms of transparency and conscience, this is a huge improvement. President Obama has a 100% rating in my book.

February 3, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  22. Daisy

Has Michael Phelps had a test for steroids?

February 3, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  23. Sgt. GIselle Doszpoj

President Obama did not screw up on his choice for Commerce Secretary Tom Daschelle. He did a great job of single handedly flushing out one of the bad apples from the political fruit basket.

Keep going President Obama. You are on the right trail.

February 3, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  24. khadi cisse

Hi, Anderson, great job, this is a president we can believe in, he even admitted mistakes, which is good for a change.

February 3, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  25. Carmine, Niagara Falls, Ontario

Hi Anderson,
    You mentioned that you will be speaking about Michael Phelps this evening. With everything that is going on in the US why is this story so important. He is 23 and probably spent the majority of his young life training. Partying with his friends is a right he should be allowed to enjoy. It could have been worse, like CEO's stealing taxpayers money!!! Love your show, keep up the good work.

February 3, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  26. Lisa

I was a college student–studying to become a teacher. I owed the IRS $750. They hounded me like I was a hardened criminal. How can someone in politics owe 6 figures to the IRS and not be in jail? I paid the IRS over 12 monthly payments.
    and....Now, I'm an elementary school teacher. 🙂
    BTW–I love our new President!
    Lisa from Toledo

27. Jonathan Harrison

Hi jonathan harrison here. look Obama said they would be false starts and mishaps or the beginning and he was right. He owned up to it and took the blame, so would all these "Conservatives" get off his back. THANKYOU

28. vanessa from silver spring, MD

This was a tough day for the Obama Administration. I appreciate President Obama on admitting his mistake, but I feel that he shouldn't be the one who is embarrassed, Dashle should be embarrassed. He is the one who messed up his taxes. But let he who is without sin cast the first stone. I can't be so hard on this dude, everyone makes mistakes. There's been a few bumps in the road for President Obama so far, but I feel that he has handled himself well so far, and he earns a big plus from what i've heard from people today by his admission of fault today. He still has a lot of work to do, and the more we dwell on these little issues, the worse the economy gets. He needs to be focused on the economy, not little bumps in the road like this. I still support you President and I wish him all the success in the world. We as a country cannot afford for him to fail.

29. Liz

Please, guys, it's ADMIRABLE that Obama said, "I made a mistake." Please say so! It's refreshing! Perhaps no president's had the GUTS to do it since Kennedy!

(And Anderson, of course you'd say, "It's rare to have a president say, 'I made a mistake,'" because you're not old enough to personally remember any presidents besides the headstrong Bushes, "slick Willie" and Reagan! 🙂 Carter came close, but did you actually see him say what he said? I don't remember it, and I'm 41, too.)

30. kim-chicago

It is time for certain Republicans to put this to rest. This isn't about gotcha anymore...it is serious business and it's time to knock it off.

I am really worried about this country. While CEO's and Politicians play games, real people's lives are falling apart. So sad...

31. Dorsha

It is extremely refreshing to see our President own uo to his mistakes. On the other hand, this Daschle thing was a no-brainer, and I'm a little disappointed that Pres. Obama didn't see it coming a long time ago.

32. Christopher Meenen, new paltz,ny

I think phelps should not apologize instead he should try to help get weed legal. The government could be in charge of selling it which could help stimulate the government .

33. john

I watch your show here in Canada and i think the US has the next best pres to JFK but you should cut him sum slack. He's doing the best for your country in the time he's been in office

34. Antoinette - NY

Good evening Anderson & AC360 team! Great interview Anderson. You always present insightful questions. I enjoy your style. I also have even more respect for President Obama. To admit to making a mistake, that takes courage.something we are not used to seeing.

Your eyes look so blue tonight!!!

35. myra

i understand that dashle didnt bother to take himself out , but lets give the president his props he excepted responsiabilty for the problem, it's nothing wrong about making a mistake what i have problem with is not owning up to it and not doing again he's human. also as far as the stim. pack goes we all know the gop was going to pick it apart thats there job. what i appreciate is that the president at least trys to listen to both side it's up to the gop to take his hand and listen try to
    come to equal parts

36. Fay - California

Accountability is a huge issue–the amount of taxpayer money that has been thrown at these corporations for the bailouts is staggering and having no means of tracking it is incredibly irresponsible.

37. Kenya

I am glad President Obama was able to accept responsibility for making bad appointees. His apology was more than Bush ever attempted to do. I don't think President Obama has lost any moral high ground. Correcting the mistakes, counts for a lot with me. This problem was not created overnight and it is not fair to this new administration to expect it to not have a trial and error period fixing the problem. This economic crisis is growing by the second and will require a massive attack.

38. Carl

If Bush 43 admitted to any of his mistakes I believe the country would have been behind him. It was so nice hearing Pres. Obama say "I screwd up, and I will fix it so it doesn't happen again." A true leader!

39. Lori from IL

Karen C – I second your comment of 10:02.

I'm tired of the "gotcha" politics on Capitol Hill - hope congress can eventually come together for the good of us all. We can always wish,
    right?!

Enjoying the interview and the panel discussion -

40. Judson K Ben

Hi Anderson,
    I believe Daschle let President and American people down and he is magnanimous enough to initially trying to protect him and own up his mistake. There is noway he could distinguish all the bad apples from the whole bunch. Also I believe he should've taken a little bit more hands on in making sure the pork not appearing on the stimulus bill.

41. Belinda

As a former IRS employee, we were mandated to submit our tax returns by mid-February. Everyone was monitored and had to meet with their Division Chief should the tax return not be filed the end of February.
    This policy should be applied to all members of Congress. They should all be monitored to determine whether they've filed and paid the appropriate taxes. And, if this had not occured, we should "keep them honest" on AC360!

February 3, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  42. Evelyn

We know who actually failed the American people and it wasn't President Obama. The Republicans are trying to claim they have better plans when economist know that "tax cuts" are not stimulative. For eight years the Republicans and Bush did whatever they wanted, now they are still saying "It's our way or the highway." I say they should join the finance Masters of the Universe and hit the highway. I'm sure there are people who are more honest and reasonable who are capable of running the banks and finance institutions. We don't want more of giving the rich more money.

February 3, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  43. Isabel Abreu

Anderson,

Sensational the interview and is worth emphasizing that you are super elegant, worthy of being with a President.

February 3, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  44. Jasmine- Spokane

Is it me or are the excuses coming out of the white house more showman style or is it true? The treasury secretary was saying he used turbotax for his taxes in which he failed at filing. Now we have another guy who somewhat denied anything then announced he didn't want to be nominated anymore. I don't think there is any thought going in to the results of their words. it makes them look more foolish than heroic..

February 3, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  45. Carmella

Good point Anthony, we always have to focus on the negative, why can't we focus on all the positives. When will positive sell.

February 3, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  46. Arnie

Pertaining to the economy and bonuses. Has anyone addressed the millions of dollars professional athletes are asking for themselves? Maybe they should contribute to the economy by turning down those huge salaries that they ask for!

February 3, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  47. Craig Jones Sr

Obama's quote "I screwed Up" there has been allot of pressure on the new president to be prefect, because of the history associated with the job. He's only human the Bible says there is now one that is perfect ,let's remember that scripture when we judge, give the man a chance.

February 3, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  48. sharon

Incredible listening to President Obama's candidness. His leadership and honesty is refreshing and much admired. One bone to pick with you Anderson...... please stop teasing "the new dog" and "has there been a cigarette smoked in the White House?"! It's painful to hear a journalist promo this, especially considering the serious economic woes facing this administration. Leave those questions to People magazine.

February 3, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  49. tina

i am proud that my president admitted to his mistakes,i didnt vote for you sir but i respect you even more.

February 3, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  50. Judy

It is unfortunate that Obama's deliberate effort to reach across the isle has been so rebuffed by Republicans ... apparently they will never learn the art of working together.

What's worse is that the public tolerates this behavior and is allowing the attacks to sway their opinions.

Very Sad and Unsophisticated - if we need anything right now, we need sophistication to get us through these tough times.

February 3, 2009 at 10:16 pm |