February 3rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/3/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. gayle mccauley Malden,Mass.

Greetings to all!! Good for President Obama! I admire and respect the fact that he owned up to mistake.He knows that we Americans are tired of government that "doesn't remember". what happened. At least he respects us enough to be honest to us. It's refreshingly open and to me ,it makes me trust him even more.

February 3, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  2. Ramki

Please tell President to STOP Outsourcing and Offshoring American IT and Manufacturing Jobs, as this is the root cause of the economic problem we are in today.

American corporations need to invest here in America not in China / India and Brazil and ship all Technology Jobs to those countries.

February 3, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  3. Truddy

Who writes the bill? I don't think President Obama is the one that wants all the nonsense in the bill. I think it's the congressmen that are putting all those stupid things in there. Pres. Obama truly wants to help people and t he economy.

February 3, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  4. Michelle D. Ontario ,Canada

Obama should crack down on these fats cats on wal street to keep these ceo's from getting more and more bailouts . The people need bailouts where's my money show me the money!!!

February 3, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  5. Edith

The man has been in office barely two weeks. Can we give him a little leeway. It is refreshing that he admits that he made a mistake. At least 4000+ americans have died as a result of the mistake.

February 3, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  6. Jane

Some companies were forced to take TARP money, it is unfair for the government to start macro managing those institutions.

February 3, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  7. xtina, chicago IL

would David Gergen be agreeable to Obama nominating a few people with superior business experience but without political experience for the Cabinet?

February 3, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  8. Monica

Good Evening Anderson, Erica, DG, CNN beautiful ppl and bloggers! How great is our President that he admits when he is wrong? It's such a breath of fresh air compared to what we dealt with in the past. He is such an honorable man.
    p.s. Anderson, I keep trying to get a glimpse of his well-kept nails!

February 3, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  9. Flomar

Although I am still strongly supportive of the President, it is ironic to see how the high standards to root out politics-as-usual have been seized as a weapon against him.

February 3, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  10. Vince

If you want to stimulate the economy, let the market fail. Its going to fail anyway. Can't give a drug addict more drugs and expect them to quit. The country is going to crash sooner or later, better sooner than later!

11. Tim

President Obama's admission of his team (and him) screwing up was a breath of fresh air. Nobody can expect perfection, and they are just 2 weeks into the job. I am sad to see a great pubic servant so imminently qualified for his role have to drop out.

12. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Its refreshing isn't it, Ashley, to actually have a president who says, 'hey I screwed up and I can admit it'

13. Harold

As Obama said many times... mistakes will made & there'll be false starts! The man has only been in office for 2 weeks, his administration will go through ups & downs, but ultimately I think he's setting a new tone in DC & most people are behind him!

14. Kassie Wright

Good evening Anderson, Ms. Hill, best bloggers and floor crew.

I must say, I've been looking forward to this interview since it was announced. So far, Obama sounds calm and collected.

Great commentary, Erica! i love listening to your insight about the world and current events.

I wish I could actually watch the show, my step dad is hogging the tv, so I have to listen live on the website.

15. Bill from Reston VA

Obama is going to have to figure out how to answer Republicans, even while be diplomatic. If he doesn't answer he's going to get hurt.

By the way nice new graphics on CNN–is there a new designer on the block?

16. Bill

I think this president is a refreshing change. Sure he is human and makes mistakes but unlike 43, 44 admits it when he makes a mistake. This republican appreciates the change.

17. Fred Kopp - Washington PA

It doesn't show humility. It shows screwing up.

18. Bonnie

It's refreshing to have a president that will actually admit to a mistake. Are you listening Dubah?

19. Natalie

I think you all should give the President a break. He's been in for two weeks and you're already picking at everything. I think reporters just need a controversy for tv.

20. Ben

What are these other two legs of the stool we keep hearing mention of? I would like to know what the plan is for these. I don’t think the American people really go for the “just trust us” attitude from Washington; not anymore

21. matthew

i fill dispite the economy and the huge mess we are in, President Obama is doing a awesome job.

22. Perry

I agree Tom should not have accepted the nom when he new all along about the taxes.

23. Tiffany in Dallas

I'm with Roland Martin...Tom D. is too politically saavy to have not known that a tax evasion problem would come out, and be a big deal, in this kind of economy, no less. Should have withdrawn sooner (or never allowed the nom in the first place).

24. Leilani

One thing for sure, every day is a new angle, a new adventure, a new story. The man ain't Jesus. He'll make mistakes. Who among us, has not? Hang in Mr. Prez. You the man!! Fellow citizens, let's pitch in, have our say, do our piece. Good job, Anderson. I love your work.

25. Mark

I'm tired of hearing about how Obama and his administration had high expectations from the U.S. public, and portraying this as an excuse for their mistakes already. He WILL make mistakes!

26. Michelle

I feel so sorry for Obama. He is going to get eaten alive by the sharks in the tank and all the talking heads. This problem says more about a complicated tax code. Even "normal" people get audited and screw up their taxes, sheesh!

27. Michelle, MA

Obama is so genuine...I applaud him for being straight up with the American people. He has always said he is not perfect and will make mistakes. This isn't even a big one...

28. Jon

I am asking myself repeatedly if the United States would be in the position we are in, if even10% of the attention that is being spent on trying to find every little mistake the our new President makes was spent on what our past President was doing? Would we be in Iraq?
    Would the economy be where it is? Would Exxon be able to rape Americans for profit?

29. Edward, Boston MA

Obama did the right thing and admitted he 'screwed up" and that utimately it is his responsibilty for who was selected for the cabinet.

Upfront honest it not what the American people have come to know from their President. It was nice to know he is not afraid to admit to us when a mistake was made and what needs to be done to correct it.

30. Karen Renzelmann

Did Mr. President just say LIMIT bonuses??? Has this world gone completely mad? Why would they get any bonuses at all at taxpayer expense. Reading the news everyday I truly don't even want to get out of bed anymore. I cannot believe the lack of accountability regarding this horrific situation and I wish everyone who is as mad as I am could just leave my job and go to Washington to protest. Why aren't people standing up for what they believe in?

31. Patti, Mobile

Obama probably never thought that the Republicans would have short circuited the process. Leaking a bill as it was being constructed. I never saw CNN go through any of Bushes bills line by line.

32. ramesh rattan

It takes an honourable leader to admit that he has made a mistake. We should respect this quality in president Obama

33. Joe McCollum

Leaving the politics out of it. I would love to hear a highly educated U.S. citizen speak out on the positives of the stimulus plan.

-Joe

34. JoeyZ, Princeton, NJ

I think the President had a bad day, and will probably have a tough time this week as the "Stimulus Plan" fades in the polls. The democrats in the House went overboard with old fashioned "Pork" and are cutting Obama's honeymoon short. Pelosi is the best thing that ever happened to the republican party. Thank you for giving so generously, Madaam Speaker!

35. Mori21

I think that they should leave the President alone. How soon we forget that President Bush was never able to admit he was wrong about any decision he has made. President Obama is trying to be honest and keep his word to the American people, which was always to listen... this is what he is continuing to do.

36. Carol

Anderson,

I love President Obama, but I would be remiss if I were to saying that he is not living up to his own standards, and, unfortunately, is playing politics like his predecessors. As January goes, so goes the year.

Carol

37. Nattada, Houston TX

Good evening everyone,

I just have to agree with Rikki. Saying "I screw up" when you did screwed up is sometimes hard. It is harder when you are a president. But when you do accept it, the solution will follow.

It was a great interview. They both did great!!

38. xtina, chicago IL

can't Obama find a few good nominees from OUTSIDE Washington? Career politicians are annoying (on both sides of the aisle)

39. Tim

Obama wanted a type of transparent presidency, but perhaps some things should have a cover over it. Like the Stimulus plan before turning it over to Congress before looking it over.

40. Barbara Richardson

About the Obama Girls........I think somone should make some
    very pretty dolls of the girls and let all the proceeds go to their
    favorite charity.
    Love You/your show

41. Patti

We have a grown-up in the WH. How refreshing!

42. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, Erica, Hi Megan, everyone blogging.
    Congrats on the interview with President Obama, Anderson.

Megan, I think it was good for Obama to "own up" to his decision as Roland said, but as David Gergen noted, and the President laid out, Tom Daschle as a nominee is uniquely prepared to handle both the policy and the politics, " getting it done" of healthcare reform and extending health care coverage. But I agree it was a painful day in many ways

It's hard to admit making a mistake, and the economy keeps me up at night too.

43. Jonathan

The government needs to stay away from the economy. let the market correct itself, don't try to force-feed the markets. More government spending will increase our debt and increase taxes. Let businesses fail so that they may file for bankruptcy which will allow them to reorganize their business infrastructure.

44. Rosanna Dill, NM

Hi Anderson, Erica and bloggers! Regarding the stimulus bill, Congress makes legislation. The president and team put the package together originally, but the house added a fair bit. Some things may have been in there as negociating strategy, knowing they wouldn't get it all.

45. Binca Topic

He was excellent, honest, and I could relate to him, both regarding his concerns, and mistakes.

For a change, someone, who answers questions directly and not dancing around.

We all know how bad situation is. Let these guys think it through, and not rush into some fast desicions. Just for little bit.
    Regards

BT

46. Mike, Syracuse NY

The disturbing thing is that on the spectrum of hard things, picking a cabinet is Being President 101. The tough stuff is yet to come. I think we are seeing the result of a lack of experience.

47. Kris, WY

It fascinates me that politicians apologize only after being caught. Why is it so hard for so many [elected officials] to live honest, transparent lives and hold themselves to a higher standard?

48. Carmella

It was a minor screw up on both of the parties, time to move on. Just find someone else and make the next nomination good. We can't be perfect no one is.

49. judy

Pumping money into the big financial insitutions that got us into this mess isn't going to help. Put into the smaller local banks...that will keep the economy going and help local main street in the process. The big banks won't do a thing to help main street.

50. Michelle D. Ontario ,Canada

Anderson is so good at making everyone feel at ease and gets to the heart of the person rathjer than an idol worshiping figure that Obama reperesents.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12