February 3rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/3/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Pati Mc

Hi Erica! EVERY night is a great night to tune in and hang with you guys, but I will give you this – tonight is just extraordinary.

Anderson so far has done a fantastic job. He is being respectful, yet firm. Just like David Gergen stated last evening. David, you are my hero! (along with Anderson of course 😉

2. Kim from PA

He mad a mistake then owned up to it which we have scene none of in the last 8 years. This is the change we wanted, and what we need. If anyone thought it would be easy, they should have known better.

3. Regina

I think President Obama is great. It takes a great person to admit that he screwed up. I didn't even hear George Bush admit he screwed up with the war. I am upset with media and critics of the President. He has only been in office a little over two weeks and was only elected in Novemeber. Of all the president elected I think President Obama has the hardest job to get the economy on track. I think everyone needs to give him a break and help him not critism him so much.

4. Renee

Good grief Obama wants to measure success in 5 years! By that time we could have 20% unemployment and $20 Trillion in national debt. We are all going to be in tents! 5 years is too long!

5. Gretchen Deacatur,ga

Remember, Bush never admitted he was wrong.
    Daschle was wrong in not revealing his tax issues.
    President Obama is a real man, to admit he screwed
    up,is a breath of fresh air,also remember ,I did not have
    sexual relations with that women" Give me a break!!!!!

6. Brenda

I'm feeling VERY strongly in two areas: EVERY senator and congress person MUST show their tax statements for the past five years! With the few that have had tax issues since Obama has taken office!! I think its ONLY the TIP of the ice burg!
    Second: EVERY top official with the banks WE have bailed out >>> FIRE them!! They obviously don't appreciate OR GET IT. They need to have to scrape for their next house payment. And those who have already TAKEN bonuses' GIVE IT BACK!!

7. senegalese-girl, PA

David Gergen is a wise intelligent man. I have a lot of respect for him.

8. Sonya

Of course the Republicans can pick apart the stimulus package - they weren't doing anything else. Obama and team have been in office for 2 weeks now and have done more than Bush has done in 8 years. Give him a break – the Democrats need to step up to the plate and get the message out there. But as usual, they know how to mess things up – even for a quality president like Obama.

9. Juan

Hey Anderson, I Support Obama, we have to continue to support our president he really cares about this country and its upgrading. we need to invest in our future.

10. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, With the state of the union in the terrible shape it is in, I would have skipped the "feel good" questions in light of the fact that you only had ten minutes to interview Obama.

11. Bea

The question is not whether Obama made a mistake or several. It is whether he will keep making the same mistakes over and over again as Bush did. Gosh I hope not. So we'll see.

12. EM-Fort Wayne, IN

xtina- Pres. Obama can only work as fast as the congress will work. Changing Washington doesn't happen overnight...

13. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Yes, Ashley, I'm feeling that little green monster as well...

More Michael Phelps news? Do we have to talk about it? I mean, does Michael Phelps really belong in the same broadcast with a landmark interview with the new President of the United States.

14. Anthony Miller

Anderson,

Do you think our expectations of President Obama is too high in terms of being
    perfect? How many of his nominees have been vetted and passed? I think the
    media has focused on so few things that has gone wrong instead taking a big
    picture look at the first few weeks.

February 3, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  15. sharon

Is there anybody in D.C., who pays taxes?

February 3, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  16. xtina, chicago IL

mark – you have apoint. we have bigger fish to fry. But public servants in a brand new administration being tax cheats is a bit of a disappointment. What happened to change in Wash. DC?

February 3, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  17. Micky

I can appreciate a President who doesn't take 8 years to admit a mistake. Let's forgive...and move on. Our economy is in need of our undivided attention.

February 3, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  18. Carmen

Good evening All, this should be an interesting night. I look forward to the interview.

February 3, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  19. Terri

I think it took courage to admit "I screwed up" from President Obama. It shows humility. Unlike anything we have had the last eight years.

February 3, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  20. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

I don't think I've ever had a President who can admit to his mistakes....

February 3, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  21. Jasmine- Spokane

Expanding on Obama apologizing, I find it to be awkward about how he says it. From a literary perspective the rhetoric implied creates a fealing that he had to say he "screwed up." He could have been fine with saying that there was a mistake and play it cool...

February 3, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  22. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Erica,
    Anderson is doing great job interview Pres. Obama tonight!!!! he is so amazing interviewer!

February 3, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  23. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Renee...I was thinking the same thing..Its not very often I agree with Roland but tonight I found myself thinking, 'Thank you Roland Martin' because I agree with everything he said!

February 3, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  24. sylvia, chicago

it seems to be a reoccurring theme whenever the Democrats get into power; they overreach, go after extremely partisan agendas and in the process get nothing accomplished...it is that hard to learn from history? draw conclusions from past mistakes?

February 3, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  25. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Good evening all you great AC/360 fans! Hello to Anderson, Erica, David, Roland Martin, et all!! 🙂

February 3, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  26. xtina, chicago IL

michelle d- no one is saying there's not tax cheats in the Republican ranks. But Obama was supposed to change all that

February 3, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  27. Simone

The President took a hit today but he will roll with the punches gracefully and get things back on track in terms of his message.

February 3, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  28. Mike, Syracuse NY

@Bea. Sorry, I don't buy the 'everybody does it' answer. Obama said he was different. HE set the bar, and he is failing to meet it.

February 3, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  29. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

There's way too much ad ons to the stimulus. I hope it's not pushed through and the fat is cut out.

February 3, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  30. Linda

I thought that Daschle had not been forthcoming with Obama's staff about his taxes until he was selected, I could be wrong, still not an excuse Obama should have let him go when the news first broke out. I like Howard Dean for he postion but there is suppose to be some friction between the two.

February 3, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  31. lynn

The press needs to focus not only on the 1% of the bill that the Republicans are talking about and look at the recovery package as not only creating new jobs but creating jobs that will revitalize the manufacturing base with green technology.

February 3, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  32. xtina, chicago IL

A "lobbyist" was nominated. Didn't Obama promise no lobbyists?

February 3, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  33. Jay

Huge holes in the vetting process. Ed Rollins cut to the point. "Tell me your sins." How did everyone let this get so far out of control.
    The stimulus plan has failed to sell this to the American people.

February 3, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  34. M.G. from Mpls

Great interview so far, Anderson! Is that the first time you've been in the Oval Office?

February 3, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  35. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Everyone Obama picked that had tax problems, including Geithner, should not have even allowed him to consider them in the first place and should have taken themselves out of the runnining immediately.

I think that Obama is testing the American people to see just how much they will allow him to get away with.

February 3, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  36. Josh

I'd like to see the president admit "I fudged the truth when I said no lobbyists" That one fact shakes my confidence more than the tax mistakes of others. His administration is under attack and he needs to stand behind his claims

February 3, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  37. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Hello Bloggers! I, too, am impressed that President Obama admits his mistakes, however, I do have to wonder if the media and the American people didn't make such a fuss regarding his cabinet selections and their past tax issues whether he would have admitted to it being a mistake. Afterall, he still apears to stand behind his picks as being totally qualified.

February 3, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  38. Mark

I don't understand. You are talking about men who had TAX problems as if they committed some mortal sin. The country's got BIG problems – and this is what we're spending our time talking about??

February 3, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  39. Renee

OMG, I am agreeing with Roland tonight! Miracles do happen!

February 3, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  40. vincent

Hello Anderson, crew, and best boggers. Looks like a really good show tonight.

Sorry that Dashel had to leave, am liking the presidential interview so far.

Great Panel discussion as usual.

February 3, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  41. Maureen T

Anderson,
    excellent interview with President Obama! I admire President Obama's honesty, "I screwed up"! Give him some time, this is only the beginning

February 3, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  42. Michelle D. Ontario ,Canada

The issues of Tom Dacshile they should focus on some key repulicans who have not exactly done good will either.

February 3, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  43. Renee Y

Anderson, I have been reading the stimulus bill both the house and the senate . It may take a while both are like 700 and some odd page, it is not as bad as I have been hearing. I think everyone should take the time to read it before they judge it. Of course the Republicans will point out the 1% of bad in this package. And alot of the media has focused on the same so the public thinks the whole bill is pork and that isn't true. Keep them Honest, Anderson.

February 3, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  44. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree with David Gergen's comment!

February 3, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  45. xtina, chicago IL

bea – Yes, probably both sides of the aisle have tax cheats. But Obama was supposed to change all that

February 3, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  46. Bea

Anderson, maybe the President didn't try to shape the democratic bill early because he didn't want to own the Democratic bill. He wants to distinguish himself from the democrats in Congress. That's been his mo. Now he can be the peacemaker.

February 3, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  47. harry

Daschle is a tax cheat, thats what I call change, you cant explain it off. A cheat is a cheat!

February 3, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  48. EM-Fort Wayne, IN

I forgot Erica...good evening to you as well!

February 3, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  49. Dodie from CA

I come from a generation that does NOT trust any politician. I always figured they started lying before even opening their mouth. Now President Obama has my attention. For the first time, I might even entertain the thought of trusting the president. I am very impressed with Obama and willingness to be responsible. What a change from the Bush admin!

February 3, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  50. Mike, Syracuse NY

This is a very telling judgement issue for Obama. This isn't a vetting issue. Obama knew about these problems before he nominated them. He campaigned on his judgement, and there have been a series of poor choices now.

February 3, 2009 at 10:09 pm |