February 3rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/3/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Sandy Tator ventura ca

Anderson
    Good job and how lucky are you!
    It would be so cool if you could speak to our Presedent often, and get Questions from us right here.

Like you all at CNN

February 3, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  2. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I am trying to give Michael the benefit of the doubt, but I wonder what his mother thinks of this. Based on Anderson's interview with her she seems like someone who would be disappointed in this type of behavior.

Like so many others Michael may be getting caught up in his own celebrity.

February 3, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  3. Michelle D. Ontario ,Canada

Good Night Anderson Erica and Megan D. and Pati
    Great interview Anderson you're the best!
    Get some rest and see you all tommorow night !
    or see you on the flipside!!!

February 3, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  4. Maureen T

The Obamas are giving some of these children hope and nothing is wrong with that!! I love the President and First Lady's generosity!

February 3, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  5. Ralph W.

Yea, Obama should tap Gergan for the cabinet. Just make sure there are no tax problems.......seriously!

February 3, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  6. Dulcie - Denver

Just a little reality check for those folks who seem to think that any of these nominees who had tax problems should be jailed.

In all honesty, making a mistake on your taxes is not a jailable offense. No one (of any race) gets put in jail for 'forgetting' something on their return. It's not even fraud. It's an oversight. The IRS sends you a bill and you either pay it or make arrangements.

None of these people were true tax 'cheats' in a truly fraudulent way.

February 3, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  7. G Snider

This is so sad. The president has been in office for about 3 weeks. All the problems that have been brewing over the past 10-20 years have not been fixed yet!
    In the end, nothing has changed: the public is asking "what are you doing for me?"
    Need to re-read JFK: ask not what your country can do for you........

February 3, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  8. Michael

What kind of dog the President Obamah get for his family?

February 3, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  9. Lauren--NY

Daisy, Olympic caliber athletes are tested daily for performance-enhancing drugs when they are in competition. Phelps has been tested many, many times.

Those dolls are going to be worth a fortune now that they've been pulled.

February 3, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  10. Tom Boerum

The best thing the President did today was meet with potential future leaders in the 2nd grade. He could use their help in picking some future cabinet members who don't have problems with the IRS.

February 3, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  11. EJ (USA)

Was that really Anderson's first visit to the White House? I must've missed that.

February 3, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  12. Isabel Abreu

Hi, Erica!
    Glad you’re here!

February 3, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  13. sharon

Hooray, I am glad that the company decided to do away with the dolls. The girls should not be used for monetary gain.

February 3, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  14. Dolores Lois, Jackson Heights, NY

Daschle's problems are unfortunate but we don't have time to haggle about them. We cannot afford to get into partisan politics. The focus of Congress has to be on the President's economic stimulus package. The economy is snowballing and we have to stop it from snowballing further before there's an avalanche. Everyone has to get real or two months from now our problems will be compounded and harder to solve.

February 3, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  15. Christine from Greenburgh, NY

I love it that the president admits when he is wrong.... it is so refreshing!!!

February 3, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  16. SCOTT

Keeping it short and sweet: If you want to stimulate the economy take some of the Federal Bailout money going to the banks, away from the banks to me in order to cut mine and millions of other honest hard working Americans mortgage interest rate from 5 percent to 2 percent from a loan directly from the government.

Last year I paid a third of my income to the bank in interest on my mortage. This doesn't even include credit cards and other banking fees. Imagine what we could do with all that extra money for the economy and our families starting today!

Oh yeah; Citibank buying a jet and a couple of bonuses stimulates the economy more than my idea right!

As a true capitalist: All I ask is a modest finders fee for this brillant Idea, Althought I would settle for the idea to work and put several hundred dollars a month in my pocket and an oppurtunity to share some of my ideas on AC360! Oh yeah and a T-shirt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 3, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  17. Bonnie

Are they going to charge EVERY person that smoked pot that night–not just Michael Phelps?

February 3, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  18. Michelle D. Ontario ,Canada

It's great ot see the president and Michelle taqlking ot kids it's like talking to thier own children bringing it down to thier level.please stop exlpoiting thier kids tha's wrong leave those girls alone.

February 3, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  19. Nicolas Jarboe

Mr. Obama has so many problems to deal with. I don't think a smoke or two would be unacceptable nor should it compromise his image. Then again smoking does have its slanderish aspects, I mean look at Mike Phelps

February 3, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  20. Eric from Omaha

great interview, Anderson. Thanks!! Timing of this is actually great to hear from Obama and get his take on all this. I think this tax issue has been a bit of a mess, agree w/many other bloggers on that, but glad he can be grown up to admit a mistake. Great bloggers out there-:)

February 3, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  21. EM-Fort Wayne, IN

I love the school visit

February 3, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  22. Debbie - Arkansas

Andersoneven though it was your first visit to the House...you were as cool as the President...very calm..thanks for keeping it real!

February 3, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  23. Ted

I think President Obama did the right thing. As far as the drop outs are concerned with, they also did the right thing by dropping out. Personally their trust with Congress and the public is shot because of their "mistakes" and Obama does have enough on his mind! Truth is though, it's almost impossible to have a squeaky clean administration. There is always one or two (or in this case three) bad apples who will ruin the party for everyone. Politics as usual is so common, it's hard to find someone who has a good record. But Obama did what he can. I suggest the media and other conservative critics to cut the man some slack. He was appointed to fix the world, and you're not making it any easier for him or for us.

February 3, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  24. Mike

David Gergan rocks! I would like to see him in Obama's cabinet, or as an advisor. He has the experience there.

February 3, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  25. Heather - Spokane, WA

@Esma, congratulations on being smoke free for this long! I have never smoked before but I am told its very difficult to stop once you start so keep up the good work!

February 3, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  26. Ken in NC

Good evening Anderson, Erica and all Bloggers. Great Interview Anderson with President Obama.Anderson, you are the Man. You go from one on one interviews with Great White Sharks to interviews with the President.

As far as President Obama smoking, some may want to critize him for smoking but I bet Michael Phelps wishes he had been caught smoking cigarettes. LOL I think this last Phelps venture will cost him millions.

February 3, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  27. lynn

A person who does not admit to a mistake will continue to make the same ones over and over again. I

February 3, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  28. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Cool discovering frog species in Columbia! YAY again!

February 3, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  29. Danice

Great panel. Enjoyed & found it to be very insightful. Thanks for good work.

February 3, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  30. Derek

The media put him on a pedestal as if he was the only one at the olympics. Now, people can actually see that he is human.

The media built him up and the media will knock him down. Michael has no one to blame, but himself.

February 3, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  31. Ed, Syracuse, NY

On the Phelps issue....The source of that picture from that turncoat SC frat house should be exiled to the UK and that sheriff needs to look for a different cheery tree.

February 3, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  32. melody

Cute interview with kids

February 3, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  33. kim-chicago

This Michael Phelps thing is ridiculous...I don't condone drug use in any way but give me a break!

February 3, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  34. Jasmine- Spokane

Those lucky children to be able to gaze into the eyes of Obama...

February 3, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  35. EJ (USA)

Nice job with the interview Anderson!

February 3, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  36. Bonnie

Very good interview Anderson.

February 3, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  37. Carol B., Virginia

Hi Anderson & Co. – Great interview & team work to get it done! Mr. Gergen made an interesting observation when he described how the current President is less reactive & uses less war- mongering language.

February 3, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  38. Renee

@ Erica: Is that why you like the semi-annual sale at Nordstrom's so much? When will Erica's News Notes be back?

February 3, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  39. penny

So far, the cabinet is a bunch of crooks! It doesn't matter if Obama said he screwed up – we're still left with crooks running the country's business – and Obama personally asked these individuals to be in the cabinet – what does this say of his judgement?

February 3, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  40. Fay - California

I agree with Roland–why is it so difficult for some in the media to say "President Obama"?

February 3, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  41. Patrick B.

The accessibility of the president is necessary, because the previous president seemed so aloof and removed from reality, we need someone who is willing to speak honestly and frequently with the people on their level.

February 3, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  42. Carmella

We love President Obama, we love him first name last name. No disrespect. He is energetic and so relatable, that 'swhy we don't always call him President. He uses text, he uses e-mail, he has a Blackberry, he is a modern day President and even if you have never met him, you feel an affection for him, that makes you want to call him by his first name. It's all good. When I meet him in person I will call him Mr. President, but at home he is Barack.

February 3, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  43. Esma

Look, if Phelps was caught shooting heroin with a ring of pedophiles in an elementary school library THAT would be noteworthy. Just let him be young and stupid while he can!

February 3, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  44. Mish

I would really like tos see which politican is/was responsible for each of the individual bills. That way that politican can be questioned and held responsible.

February 3, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  45. Candace from Canada

Good evening Anderson and Everyone from Northern Canada!

Darn I am late joining in tonight – from the comments I have missed a great interview!

I will try to catch up in the next hour! 🙂

Good Job AC360 & Crew!

February 3, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  46. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

Great interview, AC. Good job.

February 3, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  47. Ralph W.

I think this economy could drive a man to drink! Thats why he kicked the cigarettes.

February 3, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  48. Jana, Indiana

I am glad that Anderson didn't take credit for all the behind the scenes research and gave credit where credit was due.

With that said, I think he did a good job and liked the fact that he asked the questions and let the President speak without speaking over him.

February 3, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  49. Richard B. Armstrong

Charging Phelps is a joke,truly show the seriousness of the job in which the prosecutors hold.I think they should be fired and charged themselves for stupidity. Wonder how many of the DA's office workers kids are high on any given day or them them selves,what a crok and lame excuse of law officals

February 3, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  50. Michelle D. Ontario ,Canada

Yes Erica the crew there is great .The floor crew and the best poltical panel David Gergen ,is the best !!! I love his insight thanks David!

February 3, 2009 at 10:42 pm |