February 3rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/3/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Dorothy-CA

At least he owned up to his "screw up". He didn't wait 8 years like Bush to tell us in the last moment of his regrets and mistakes – like we couldn't figure it out.

I think President Obama has a long hard road and is going to do fine. I dare anyone who doesn't like what he is doing or saying to jump right on in there in and try and do a better job!

February 3, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  2. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

Hi Erica!

February 3, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  3. Tom of Philly

right?? michelle and the others impressed with obama's admission. bush was on his way out the door and all he admitted is there were a few things he could have done better yea like not waste 5 trillion bucks, lets keep that in mind as we pass this and most likely other stimuli,

anyone know what job i can get to have a 140K tax liability AND the money to just pay it when or if it ever gets caught???

February 3, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  4. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Rikki – I KNOW! As a poli sci major the oval office is the holy grail of all places. I both rejoice for Cooper and am feel the little green monster raging within.

February 3, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  5. Tom, NY

They all work for the big corporations and not us the American people. Obama is gonna continue that trend. The first sign is appointing lobbyists to his admin. Here we go again!

February 3, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  6. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

Ashley- Aww, your routine sounds a lot like mine! Haha.

February 3, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  7. carolyn cee yah

HI ANDERSON&ERICA, wow you scored a great interview, you made me have even more respect for you.
    great questions but it was humanizing.

February 3, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  8. Heather - Spokane, WA

Daschle's conscious finally caught up with him.

February 3, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  9. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I agree with Ed Rollins. The vetting process was not tip top. I don't think the moral highground applies to any party. Too bad it doesn't.

February 3, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  10. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Good evening, Anderson, Erica, David (?), and bloggers! I'm bit late signing on tonight...

I really like Anderson's interviewing style, and Obama's accessible nature makes him a very straight-forward and enlightening subject. I can't imagine George Bush ever saying, "I screwed up."

February 3, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  11. Renee

Erica, did you go to DC with Anderson to meet the President?

February 3, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  12. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

I admire President Obama for admitting he made a mistake.
    Congrats Anderson for scoring an interview with the new Pres!
    Very cool Coop!

February 3, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  13. Pati Mc

President Obama is a man to be respected. It meant the world to me that he just said he does not want to send the signal to the American people that there are one set of standards for "regular people" and a different one for politicians and other people of so-called "stature".

Add to this that the man admitted that "I screwed up". I for one would not have believed I would hear any person in politics, let alone a President say those words. He is a stand up fellow and I admire that greatly.

February 3, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  14. Michelle

I agree with Mr. Gergen.

February 3, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  15. Bea

@Mike. of Syracuse True, but do you actualy think that the Bush nominees had no tax problems? They just didn't look at them. Obama may have asked too many questions!

February 3, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  16. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I agree with Ed Rollins, Tom Daschle should have withdrawn his name long ago! And I'm wondering how he even got passed the vetting process.

February 3, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  17. ericacnn

hi, everyone. more coming from anderson's interview with pres. obama – definitely a great night to tune in!

February 3, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  18. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

I think it is very brave for Obama to say that he screwed up. It shows that he isn't afraid to be honest with us.

February 3, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  19. lynn

No, Jo Ann, Daschle didn't make his tax problems known until after he was announced.

February 3, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  20. Michelle D. Ontario ,Canada

Wow no sliver lining for this economy being made better . Obama 's keeping awke at night it must be soo stressful . i hope for better times ahead!

February 3, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  21. Fay - California

Team Obama has had a few stumbles out of the gate and they're going to need to regroup and tighten their focus in order to get back on track.

February 3, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  22. Lori from IL

Good evening Anderson, Erica and Fellow Bloggers -

Good interview with President Obama today, Anderson. Good mix of questions, good prep!

Maybe everyone should go through the Obama "vetting" process - Capital Hill, Wall Street and Main Street - unpaid taxes may pay for the stimulus plan!?!

February 3, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  23. Bea

It's like they are switching roles. The Democrats want trickle down. The Republicans are insisting on direct relief to homeowners. Wierd.

February 3, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  24. Mike, Syracuse NY

Hi Anderson. Unfortunately there has been a series of mistakes; Richardson, Killefer, Daschle, Geitner. He knew the score for each before nominating them.

February 3, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  25. Alex E.

Obama admitted that he screwed up but he should never let Daschle get so far in the process when his tax issues came to Obama's attention long before in the vetting process.

Geithner fails the demonstrate ehtics when he failed to pay his own taxes, only when he forced to get this job. He should not continue, or Obama should get rid of him.

February 3, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  26. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Hey Ashley! I just ran in the door like 2 minutes ago and fired up the computer to take in this amazing interview...I am so jealous of Anderson, not just because he got to talk with President Obama but because he got to be in the Oval Office!...Oh how I wish!

February 3, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  27. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, Interesting blog post this evening!

Obama is right, he did "screw up," however, that really isn't an excuse because from what I understand he knew about Daschle's tax problems before he selected him.

February 3, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  28. Dodie from CA

I am very impressed that president, Obama was able to admit to a mistake! We as the people never expect perfection and I am very impressed with his willingness to take "responsibility" Awesome!!

February 3, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  29. Renee

I screwed up is what you tell you husband/wife when you forget to take out the trash or bounce a check. Obama should have said he failed the American people! That would be more accurate!

February 3, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  30. Jasmine

i find it interesting to find Obama apologizing for someone elses tax problems. We all have trouble figuring out personal lives......sigh

February 3, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  31. Michelle D. Ontario ,Canada

Obama seems like the responsible man he is he admits he screwed up more than i can say than Bush!

February 3, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  32. Heather - Spokane, WA

I look at the mistake this way...at least he is able to admit and is forthcoming when he messes up. Not alot of people are able to do that.

February 3, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  33. Bridget, TX

Hi Anderson, CNN crew and fellow bloggers...watching the interview:)

February 3, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  34. Gretchen Deacatur,ga

Anderson,great interview with President Obama!
    President Obama has made a lot of great moves,
    since he entered the office. Give him a break ,we all
    know what a mess bush left us in,and President Obama
    did not lie,on day one he has been trying to work on
    getting America out from under.We should support
    him,because if he fails we all fail.

February 3, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  35. Esma

Hey everyone! Anderson, I am so ready to Barack 'n' Roll!!!

February 3, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  36. Bea

I remember when Daschel was maj. leader. It was uneventful. Nice guy but I recall nothing significant. I don't see how he was uniquely qualified except that he was in the Club.

February 3, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  37. Jacqueline, NY

Greetings All!

February 3, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  38. Renee Y

Good Evening Anderson, Erica and the best bloggers. I saw clips of your interview and read your summary both we great. Now I get to see the whole interview.

Good questions and good job!

February 3, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  39. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Rikki,
    I agree with you...... you 're right. 🙂

February 3, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  40. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Good evening all!

Laundry's done, dog's fed, dishes are washed...

It's just me, the blog, and the interview.

February 3, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  41. Tom of Philly

hi everyone, love the idea of capping the pay of the folks that derailed the economic train, how bout bonuses only paid in company stock that cant be accessed until loans are paid. and cap the bonus to 20% of pay, and no bonus if the company doesnt make money. like isnt that the way its supposed to work?

February 3, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  42. Karen C

Did you do a double take when our President showed himself to be the man I knew he could be and owned up to a mistake? This is a man I can believe in. I think he is doing the best he can in the worst situation you can *possibly* inherit. There could hardly be a more difficult situation to inherit than he has.

February 3, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Michelle D. Ontario ,Canada

Anderson you had a busy day today the frequent flyer miles you are racking up must be in the millions. Hi to Pati !

February 3, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good Evening Anderson, Erica and bloggers! I was actually very impressed to hear that President Obama admitted to a mistake and took responsibility for that mistake! It was awesome!

February 3, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Isabel Abreu

Hi, Anderson, AC360º team and best bloggers!
    A great night for everyone!
    A great night!

What anxiety!
    Mr. Obama and Mr. Cooper, together!

February 3, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Bea

Hello Bloggers. What a timely time to speak with the President, Anderson.

February 3, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

I can't wait for the interview Anderson!

February 3, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo Anderson, Erica, David Gergen, David in Indiana, Michelle D.
    Glen up North, Pati, Ashley in NY and best bloggers!!!!!
    Happy Tuesday night!!!!!!

Anderson,
    That will good show tonight, I can't wait see you interview our pres. Obama tonight!!! Great job! Congrats Anderson!

Ouch!!! that is bad day for Pres. Obama....... he made mistake to choose Tom D. hadn't pay his taxes audit..... I agree with Obama is screw up!

February 3, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Pati Mc

Good Evening Anderson, Erica, David, Floor Crew and Best Bloggers. Hey to Megan and Michelle D. 😉

Jeez Anderson, you sure had one exciting day. I envy you. You have to be tired.

February 3, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Heather - Spokane, WA

Good evening Anderson and everyone. It must have been amazing to be able to interview Obama if it was only for a few minutes. He seems like a really easy going person and he must be fun to talk with.

February 3, 2009 at 10:00 pm |