February 2nd, 2009

My interview with the woman who just dumped Drew Peterson

Drew Peterson's behavior after his wife disappeared deepened suspicion, but he says she ran off.

Editor’s Note: You can read more Lisa Bloom blogs on “In Session

Lisa Bloom
AC360° Contributor
In Session Anchor

Last week Chrissy Raines made news by leaving Drew Peterson, the man who is a suspect in the murders of his third and fourth wives. Twenty-four year old Chrissy Raines and her two children, ages 4 and 5, had been living with Peterson for three weeks. Her father, Ernest Raines, was distraught that his daughter and grandchildren were living with a man many people consider to be a dangerous double murderer. I had the privilege of meeting Ernest when we both appeared on the Dr. Phil show last Wednesday. During and after the show, Dr. Phil and I advised Ernie to stop making threats to Drew Peterson – “I’ll drive my Cadillac through his house!” – and to instead keep a friendly, close relationship with his daughter. Drew Peterson would win if he succeeded in isolating Chrissy from her family, which is what abusers always try to do. Don’t let that happen, I told Ernie. Keep the lines of communication open with your daughter. Let her know that while you don’t like your choice, you love her and are there for her, and will help her in any way you can.

The very next night, Thursday, Ernie called me to thank me for my advice to him, excited that it had worked – Chrissy had moved out! His beautiful daughter had reached out to his outstretched hand, and Friday morning, he arrived at Drew’s home, cameraman in tow, to help Chrissy retrieve her belongings. Drew refused, Ernie called the police, and Chrissy was able to get her belongings out without violence.

I was so pleased that my advice made a difference, and I never expected it to work so quickly.

Ernie has expressed his gratitude to Dr. Phil and to me repeatedly. He deserves the credit for courageously standing by his daughter in a difficult, stressful, emotional situation.

I had the privilege of interviewing Chrissy and Ernie this morning. It’s not often I am speechless on the air, but at one point, that’s exactly what happened.

1. Annie Kate

I'm so glad she and her children got out of that house and away from Petersen. I hope no other woman falls for his slick ways. And I hope that the police will eventually be able to arrest him and put him in jail for what the murders of some of his other wives.

February 2, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  2. Mary V., Salt Lake City, UT

This man is insane.

February 2, 2009 at 7:36 pm |
  3. Julie

It is both insane and pathetic the women who fall for men who are assumed to have murdered their wives. Worse even to subject their own children to that live in danger. When will we raise up girls and women who are moved more by clarity than insanity and who will listen to warnings. I had a father who when he saw the danger issued utlimatims and I had sense enough and respect to abide. Yet when older I was moved more by hormones than sense and I have paid high prices for it. I am now 69 and I can tell you it is not worth it. I wish I had been more obedient once I hit l8 I would have avoided an abusive marriage. This reminds me of a wealthy woman in Tampa who left her four children and a lawyer husband and married a serial killer. INSANE.

February 2, 2009 at 5:42 pm |
  4. Suzy - Edmonton, AB

It boggles my mind that any woman would go anywhere near Drew Peterson!

February 2, 2009 at 3:48 pm |
  5. Judy Johnson

Please inform Chrissy that she had made a wise choice to get herself and her children away from Drew. She needs to do whatever it takes to protect herself and her children from Drew. He is evil, controlling, manipulative, deceptive and very dangerous. He is totalIy in denial of any accountability, responsibiity, honesty and concern for anyone else except himself. I have experienced this kind of a person. I can see it in his eyes, his actions and his words. Thank God your father has had the courage to stand up to him.

February 2, 2009 at 3:12 pm |
  6. JC- Los Angeles

With our once proud nation in free fall, with education taking a back seat to seemingly everything else and with experienced and talented workers being jettisoned at an alarming rate, it's horrific to continually read of the media's continued fascination with sociopaths.

Whether it's Drew Peterson, OJ Simpson, Rod Blagojevich, Casey Anthony or countless executives or politicians, it's time to stop detailing sociopathic behavior and start writing about good citizens.

It's one thing for Dr. Phil to make cash off the truly horrid but an entirely different matter for you to dignify them in print.

February 2, 2009 at 2:46 pm |
  7. JJ, PA

Thankfully that woman took her kids and ran! Hopefully they'll be safe b/c of the media attention surrounding Drew and his 2 murdered wives. If something happened to Crissy or anyone in her family, that wouldn't help his cause as more suspicion would loom over his narcissistic head! There are helpful programs designed to protect people, though this guy obviously knows the people in the right places b/c he's walking freely!

February 2, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  8. Marta

Hurray!! I saw the Dr. Phil episode and was very concerned for this young woman and her children!! Always good when the good guys win!

February 2, 2009 at 2:07 pm |
  9. Fay - California

What on earth would possess any woman to ever consider dating this man?

February 2, 2009 at 1:40 pm |
  10. Cindy

All I have to say is that Chrissy made the right move! Drew is a nut and she could have ended up being wife number three that disappeared or died mysteriously. Hopefully she won't go back.

Cindy...Ga.

February 2, 2009 at 1:39 pm |
  11. Michael "C"Lorton, Virginia

A wise decision by Chrissy Raines to terminate that relationship. Better to termination the relationship that run the risk of the relationship terminating her. Peterson's day will arrive--and he will be delivered what is deserving. The character of man deterimes his destiny--and his is slowly approaching.

February 2, 2009 at 1:21 pm |