January 29th, 2009

Why attacking the press never works

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/01/29/art.mccain.tampa.jpg]

Roger Simon
Politico.com

The Columbia Journalism Review revealed this week that the “high command” of the John McCain campaign hired a blogger “to attack” and engage in “bullying” the press during the last six months of the presidential campaign.

Gee, how did that work out? Help much?

And why did the campaign need to hire outside help for that? I thought it had been doing a pretty good job of not liking the press on its own.

Read More...

Filed under: 360° Radar • John McCain • Technology
  1. Annie Kate

The media certainly did a good job of reporting on Palin – and she did a good job of putting stuff out there for them to report. I'm not surprised that McCain put some reporters off his plane. More candidates should have done the same.

January 29, 2009 at 9:02 pm |
  2. B.Greenfish66

.I think Blagojevich should have a fair trial...I would like to hear exactly what Blagojevich did wrong...What are the facts?..I have a hunch, that Jesse Jackson jr,..and others were looking for a seat to pick..and were all lookin to pinch Blagojevich's seat ..Now he's jumpin mad...I would like to see this trial.It's only fair..

January 29, 2009 at 3:50 pm |
  3. Mike, Syracuse NY

You can call the press a lot of things over the last election. Impartial would not be one of them. It continues to this day. You hear lots of stories about Obama reaching out to Republicans and Muslims, but let someone ask a hard question about Holder or Getiner if they dare, and you get nothing. Where's the press outrage? Obama doesn't need a press secretary. He's already got hundreds of press secretaries. They're called the MSM.

January 29, 2009 at 3:48 pm |
  4. Kevin Hinds

There is no question that tough times have fell upon our country and many of us are suffering for the mismanagement and mishandling of our country. I am not fully aware of how this whole economic stimulus is supposed to work for the people who are struggling during these tough times. As a teacher it is very frustrating to not be able to afford to purchase a home in the city that I work in or in its surrounding areas. I honestly believe that I will not benefit from any thing that the stimulus package is supposed to be used for. As a suggestion why not have the oil companies pay for or contribute to the stimulus package since they are the only industry to truly make a profit during the Bush Administration. I am sure this would make the people feel as if they are being given something that was taken from them. The point is this, the oil companies made billions of dollars off of us, why not try to get it back from them.

January 29, 2009 at 3:23 pm |
  5. Nabweekly.ca

My mother always said–

Mandy–You attrack more bees with honey then you do vinegar.

I don't always agree with mainstream media tactics but attacking the media as a blogger, is not a professional blogger. I have critized the Canadian media as a whole a couple of times because I've seen to many not doing their jobs but I still hold high respect for most of them and would never concentrate my time attacking those who try to get to the truth for the people. It's to bad money can buy anything, even a person's moral integrity.

January 29, 2009 at 3:23 pm |
  6. earle,florida

Ah yes,as in any good book you've read several times you come up with a somewhat different point of view/plot! Oh ,discovery how frustrating you are? It is said ,the more you learn, the dumber you get,why? It's like opening " pandora's box ",with infinite more questions than answers! The free press in our great country is thriving with the greatest journalist in the world,and like all journalist you get a myriad of different opinions. It's healthy,and vibrant to a free society to appreciate the good with the bad ,and use your own intuition,as it should be ,to draw your own conclusions,...

January 29, 2009 at 1:28 pm |
  7. Michelle

Please the press did not get President Obama elected.
    Americans voted for the man fair and square. No one
    buys the liberal media cries anymore. There are just
    many forms of media theses days.

January 29, 2009 at 1:27 pm |
  8. Presley

McCain accused the "Gotcha Media" of being unfair regarding Palin and other issues he blamed solely on the media, it's more than ironic he was stirring the pot and stoking the media's flames himself.

Now, I must comment on this age of media, there seems to be a new breed of alleged "journalists" reared on the rules of the Internet.
    This is their training grounds. This is now their "career".
    To tame the media is now a task to also tame the Internet, good luck with that.
    This is not an issue of ethics, it is over saturated outlets, they are everywhere offering aspiring writers, journalists, political wannabes a platform to preach and promote completely biased ideologies. Hence the hiring of an individual to "Bully" around the World Wide Web, this was not even a notion in 2000 or 2004.
    Banning reporters is just back handed censoring IMO. But it's politics, one thing I've learned, Politics has less rules and ethics that the Internet. Let's stop pretending like they, rules and ethics, really exist.

January 29, 2009 at 12:38 pm |
  9. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

The media's job, at least from what I see of it, is not to report the news--but rather create the news-–and as far as being a dis-ineterested party--they are sharks swimming around waiting for the next drop of blood to hit the water-–of course their are some exceptions--right?--Anderson.

January 29, 2009 at 12:33 pm |
  10. Pat Canada

Roger amusing story. McCain may have faired better had he threw Palin off the plane and the campaign! I think she was much more destructive than any Reporters could have been! But nothing those two might have concocted during their campaign could surprise me!

January 29, 2009 at 12:29 pm |
  11. John

I think that the press has lost its objectivity and run a very real risk of loosing public trust. I have talked to many people that say they really don't trust the press anymore and that is a very bangerous thing. You can't blame the people for that when the press admits to, and the people see, that the press was pushing so hard for Obama to win. When you take sides like the press did in this election. You loose the trust of the people. How can anyone trust that if Obama does something illeagle or something unethical, that the press will ever report it. I am an independent. I actually support a lot of what Obama wants to do. But I don't trust the media anymore to give me the truth, or the facts as they are. I think that theres going to be a backlash from all of this and its not good. We have to trust our Media because there the ones that keep our powerful people in check. Im sad to say that I don't trust the Media when it comes to Obama.

January 29, 2009 at 12:02 pm |
  12. Cindy

UMM..as I recall didn't Obama kick people off of his plane also!? So why attack McCain for it! Besides..who really cares!? If the media would have been a lot fairer to everyone then John or Hillary wouldn't have had to attack them. The amount of favoritism shown towards Obama was ridiculous. There have been studies that prove that Obama was never questioned on anything and was given very praise worthy coverage while Hillary and John were downed mercilessly and given nothing but bad press. Is that what the media is supposed to do!? I think not...but they did!!

Why is this being brought up to begin with...it's water under the bridge! We have WAY more to worry about like our economy tanking and us going into a depression! Give it a rest!!

Cindy..Ga.