January 29th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/29/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. veterancitizen

I applaud the Illinois Senate for holding their elected officials accountable....One small step.....

January 29, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  2. Stefan Barber, Ohio

I don't understand how anyone could question whether the President can stipulate how the private sector uses this bailout money. Sure, it would go against America's free-market principles, but I do not remember hearing any of those CEOs refusing government money because it violated their "capitalistic values". If they are going to accept our money then they must also accept our President's stipulations to curb corporate greed.

January 29, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  3. Sharon

I find it odd that Obama said initially that people who made $200,000 or less would see these refund checks now suddenly it has been revised to $75,000?

Well that is sad because most people who make up to $200,000 are one parent working the other stay at home so they need a break at this horrible time too!

anyone making $75,000 or less pays so little in taxes that they will be given more money then they actually put into the system, so how exactly is this helping?

January 29, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  4. Karen -PA

Hi Anderson, Erica and everyone else!

I'm glad Obama isn't pleased by these CEO's either. I hope he can get through to them.

Are these financial people oblivous to the rest of the world? It makes no sense for executives who's company is failing, to get a bonus. If it were anyone else, they'd be fired.

January 29, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  5. Indira Iyer

Anderson,

As a tax paying citizen, I am really glad to learn that Prez. Obama plans to crack down on the avaricious and shameful wall street executives. These folks have no compunction about spending billions of dollars on bonuses when America and it's people are reeling in this terrible downturn which was precipitated by unbridled greed and unregulated, unaccountable practice of capitalism.

Hope to see this payback down to the hard working, honest tax paying citizen.

Indira

January 29, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  6. sylvia, chicago

Blagojevich is no different then any other politician...its all about favors and unwritten deals, the only difference is he got busted...and we are yet to see clear evidence of his shenanigans

January 29, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  7. Kassie Wright

It's somewhat nice to know Blagojevich was ousted. Could you imagine the corruption if he had become a precendent?

I totally support him continuing to pursue his interests and causes, but even if he was completely innocent, and he behaved this way, it would seem incredibly shifty.

January 29, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  8. sam salvati

The President is worried about the wall street bonuses and their accountability...where is the accountability for the bailout bill? There are billions of dollars in special earmarks in this bill that will not stimulate the economy, but will make a lot of voter districts very happy. Unfortunately, the rest of the country will have to pay off this debt for decades.

January 29, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  9. Phil Weld

As to the Wall St Banks – NATIONALIZE them and put the bankers on the GS pay schedule with regular government employees.

January 29, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  10. karin dicker

why is no one outraged at the billions we have spent in iraq?? how is that going? hmmm how about the billions that were somehow lost when we took over? get a grip, righties, care about people instead of wars of choice. when you lose your job and benefits, you will cry the loudest.

January 29, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  11. EJ (USA)

I saw Blagojevich's whole press conference and I'm still amazed at how good he is. So is it a new talk show for him now?

January 29, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  12. Arden

How exactly is pouring more money into the economy going to help?

Oh, right. We're letting those CEOs get even more bonuses.

13. Minou, New York City

Has Blagojevich ever been evaluated by a psychologist? That would be fun!

14. Stuart Orr

The stimulus package? Reprehensible! $10 billion in PORK, which doesn't exist anywhere so we will have to print it up, and without having any impact on getting the economy moving again. PORK for liberal agenda items. Politicians lining their pockets in the name of helping others. The president should be as angry at this as he is about Wall Street executives giving themselves undeserved bonues. Conveniently hypocritical.

15. Stacy

Blago has reached a Joe the Unlicensed Plumber level of annoying.

16. Cherry B - Ms

Kudos to Roland Martin. He really nailed it when he compared a court bankruptcy to this bonus mess. The federal govenrnent is giving these bailouts from taxpayer money and we have every right to ask questions and impose stipulations.

17. Dave

I would enjoy seeing a names of the CEOs and banks published. It is merely a sign of the self centered greed which tends to be so popular on all levels of our soceity.

18. Jeff

I am a conservative and want to give my two cents. I am angry that my tax dollars are now into the hands of some failing company's executives' boat, massive house, fine dining, etc. I am glad that the Illinois Gov is out of office as he is delusional. I am against the current form of the Stimulus package due to the non-job building inclusions. I like Obama, am glad he is President, and have hope that his leadership will steer our country forward...the way I look at forward, of course.

19. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, That's what they all say!

20. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

If the Governor has so much to say, why not say it. Is there a gag order to speak?

21. Pati Mc

Any day now, Blagojovich is going to end up having his own theme song. He sure looks like a tv sitcom to me. Good Lord. We will be hearing about this forever.

22. SAM in Oregon

President Obama today tols the Wall Street Banks their bonuses were "shameful". The proposed Stimulus Plan is equally "shameful". As far as I can determine, there is little if any true stimulus in this pork filled proposal. Volcano monitoring, STD education etc.... Where are the jobs? What is in this for the average working (or unemployed) American?

23. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi!
    I'm very glad the Blagojevich trial is finished–I didn't really expect it so soon.

24. Clarence Albuquerque

Does the Blagojevich debacle affect the larger public? I know it's sensational news but it seems so minor a blip.

25. Susannah Lints

On the bailout-
    money to the national endowment for the arts is displayed as a waste of money, that's wrong, we artists need jobs too. Roosevelts WPA put thousands of artists to work on public buildings.

26. Taylor

If the Republicans are going to act like this when a concerted effort for bipartisanship was made by President Obama, I say its time to just ignore them. There failed economic policy's of the last 8 years are what got us into this mess, tax breaks don't work!

27. Kris

As for the stimulus, sure there's pork in it–that's politics. But I think the naysayers are missing the point. "Pork" creates jobs. tax cuts diminish gov't revenue (good) and will only slow layoffs in this recession. We have to create buyers of goods and services first, then ease taxes.

28. laramie

only 54% of people voted for obama. that means just under half of the country doesn't want spending bill. i think the dems could care less about bipartisanship. it's their chance to hammer through what they want and reward who they want.

29. Tom of Philly

yes belin, the money will come from foreign countries in part, we used to buy our own bonds but now only about half the rest comes from overseas, thats why you hear that were borrowing money from the chinese and the arab world to buy foreign oil....

30. Mike, Syracuse NY

The items cited are only examples of the pork, not a comprehensibve list. More than 25% of the $800 billion is estimated to be non-stimulus in nature. That's $200 billion. Not trivial.

31. Michelle

I process payroll and there are some individuals whose gross income is based on bonuses alone. How do they determine of this wall street bonus issue which individuals receiving excess bonuses vs salaries based on bonuses alone?

I think wall street is ridiculious and I'm sure their wages are inflated. I'm not defending them by any means, but I just want to throw that out there as some reasoning for this issue. Maybe I'm nieve.

32. Terrence

I think that President Obama needed to show feeling , especially when it comes to this subject of deceitful, selfish, greedy CEOs that outrages so many
    People can easily become agitated when people in power don't seem to realize the struggle average Americans go through daily
    It is outrageous that these same people are receiving such substantial "bonuses" and yet are laying off thousands of people
    These are the type of people who should be fired... not Rod Blagojevich

33. Adriana

@claire: I just have another question: Why are the same CEOs still in office if they brought their companies to bancruptcy? It is just unbelievable...

34. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

"he should back that promise up with a veto threat if the bill doesn’t remove the pork"

ABSOLUTELY, Mike!!!

@Chris, how did you feel about the last "bailout package," that was pushed by the Republicans? DO you support that because you are a Republican? I hope not...

35. Hanspeter Vögtli

It's a wise desicion to cancel the bonus for the topmanagment in the financial sector after this melting-down.

One aspect of a bonus is the fact, that the surplus of honoration could be understood as an act of activ corruption. The employe is fixed to do everything to get this bonus. And that is not always the best for the economy as we all can see now!

36. Anthony

The actions of these CEOs are despicable, they are holding our country hostage? How are they different from terrorists?

37. Eileen Hawk

On the surface one might not see how these provisions would stimulate the economy but they would give jobs to people when you think about how they would be done, who would do them. Even teaching our young people about how to prevent STDs which is epidemic would create jobs in solving that, among other health related problems. If we can do something for Iraq, we can do something to help ourselves.

38. Jennifer - Michigan

Rod Blago is acting as if this is a criminal trial, it's not. This is politics.....sorry.

39. Patrick Lihou - Vancouver Island, Canada

Anderson – It was mentioned on your show that President Obama's desire to hold the banks accountable for handing out extravagant bonuses to top executives smacked of socialism. Ideologues who suggest this need a reality check. When taxpayers ask the banks for money, the banks have the right to set the conditions. If the banks are asking for taxpayers' money, should not the taxpayers have that same right?

40. Dennis

This is so predictable. The media leads with the story of 18 billion in bonuses for Wall Street executives and you people eat it up. When the real story is the hundreds of billions in payoffs that make up this so-called "stimulus plan". The only thing this plan does is line the pockets of the people that got Obama elected. You voted for it.....You got it!

41. Michael Jones

I am so shocked to see the comments on this blog.
    I have been a business man for 35 years. And yes I make a decent living because I have worked very hard.

It is obvious to me that most of the comments come from the have not's that if they do not wake up to what they are doing to their own lives will never make much out of their lives.

If you really think all this spending is going to do anything you had better go back to school and study economics a little more closely.

These bail outs have been proven time and again by many countries to NOT WORK...Wake up people.
    You are sealing your own doom.

42. Kurt

I am very encouraged to see the President and First Lady Obama bringing their kids. Maybe they are not doing this as an intentional action – but as the right starts in on the left and so on – seeing an american family bring their kids to school was a huge piece of video tape. This first african-american president is inside the biggest bubble – most security and on and on... but that video and photo said they are just like me or us. Anyone see where I am going there...?

43. Thomas

Should President have ability to make the bonus cuts... Absolutely... I just received notice from my Mayor that he is implementing a 10% pay cut in my salary and eliminating all paid holidays... All without my approval even though we have a contract.

44. R.D. Colby

Corporate Officers are so used to stealing Americans blind, they dont think there is anything wrong. We must tax their bonuses at a rate of 98%

45. Beth

Nice Casey J – I agree with you re: Marketing + PR. Same way President Obama was elected, not on his stellar track record. Although he has my backing now that he's Pres. –

46. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

Ceo's are just reaping and benfiting from this i can't take any more people being out of work it should be the other way aroungd .

47. Aubrey

will other country's be allowed to bid on stimulis programs,and will legal citizans only be used in projects?

48. Renee

The problem with the bill is the pork for stuff that doesn't matter. By the end of February we could have $5 million unemployed people. With increase unemployment we will be generating more unrest for people. What surprises me is that with all of these unemployed people that they are not protesting in front of the White House.

49. claire-wichita, ks

I think the Republicans need to be schooled on the concept of compromise...Obama conceded two or three points in the bill–I haven't heard a Republican yet talk about what they like about the stimulus bill–give and take...not take and take and take...

50. michael

Bonuses are a terrible way to spend chinas money!!!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13