January 29th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/29/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Glenn Gross

I sit here watching tv about this new stimulus bill and the Wall Street bonuses – absolutely sick to my stomach. Was Congress so ignorant that they never saw Wall Street thumbing their noses after they received the bailout? You had to know it was going to occur.

As for the bailout bill – Please don't pass it. We can't afford any more. Permanent tax cuts that put money into the working man's pocket is the best solution to stimulating the economy. Why is this concept so difficult to grasp??

January 29, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  2. Roger Rutschman

I think the stimulus package will help get the economy moving. I am disappointed that democrats put in some projects that will do little to stimulate the economy. I don't want to go into debt to pay for condoms and STD education. Hopefully the Senate will get rid of these worthwhile projects that don't stimulate the economy.

Roger Rutschman

January 29, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  3. Renee Y

@carlo This is not funds from TARP this from the $819B stimulus package

January 29, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  4. Kishea

As a democrat, I’m a shame of the Democratic Party right now. They talked about change the last two years and yet they lowering themselves to the Republican Party level (deceitful) by adding non sense things into a stimulus package that’s suppose too help the people. I just want to say thank you Anderson because your show was the only one that totally broke it down.

January 29, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  5. Chris

Haggard is victim of his own preachings and our society's narrow ideals. We need to open our minds and let people live without having to worry about being themselves and talking about sexuality.

January 29, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  6. MJF

I agree with President. When you get taxpayer money you should be accountable and responsible. The same should apply however to welfare. If you take welfare you should undergo drug testing and agree not have children until you are able to provide for yourself.

January 29, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  7. kim-chicago

If a company was mismanaged to the point that they had to ask for a hand out then why shouldn't the lender be able to set the rules?

January 29, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  8. Lois Flavelle

What is an employee "bonus" anyway? I always thought it was given if you went above and beyond your job description or if a company did so well it could afford to reward its employees. If a "bonus" is automatic or worse, if it is given even when the company is bankrupt, isn't it REALLY just a raise in pay??? The government should just say "you've just had your last dollar from us".

January 29, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  9. dan

$800 Billion for TARP, $2 Trillion given to an industry that the Fed will not say who, now another possible $1 Trillion. All we are doing is screwing the next generation. Until people are taught to live within their means, this issue will come back again in another 10 to 20 years.

January 29, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Thanks Michelle and Pati!!!! 🙂

Hellooo David Gergen.......
    You are my favorite fan analyst CNN team...... I enjoy your comment today.... I agree with you...... 😀
    Can we bring our money back and not to make bonus crackdown?

January 29, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  11. Ken in NC

Rob Blagojevich is gone. Everyone knows it now except him. He is so delusional it is a shame. Maybe when he stops getting his pay check it might hit him that he has been fired.

January 29, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  12. Alex (Aliso Viejo)

Good evening all! 🙂

Got 2 words for CEO's = common sense. As for Blago, my heart is broken that he has to go since I am minus 1 comedian who can actually make me laugh without even making sense.

January 29, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  13. Russ

Give every American 1 million dollars and we'll solve the car industry problem, stop foreclosures and the hungry will have food to eat. if the lottery winners spending is any indication, most will spend this money within a year.

January 29, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  14. Minou, New York City

The cars the government buys for itself are American-made cars. Of course it helps the economy! CNN, you guys need to stop calling everything pork. It's not all pork!

January 29, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  15. EJ (USA)

I have to say – I don't really get the fascination with this Ted Haggard guy. He's not inspiring. He's not exciting. He's not even honest. I don't get it.

January 29, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  16. Wayne

As a small business owner, I would never get a bonus if my business was near bankruptcy. It is appalling that Wall street will take my taxes, and reward themselves for their failure to run their business. If I fail, I will be out on the street!

17. kip

President Obama is on the right track, now if we can do something about all those congressmen and congreswomen.

Most of the lawmakers do not know what they are voting on,
    the just vote the way the lobbyist tell them to .

In the next election lets vote out all these leaders democrat or republican.

18. Bill from indiana

i feel that updating federal buildings is a good thing. Some one has todo the work. these jobs will be here and not overseas.. take us back to CCC jobs where the government improves itself and the country.

19. Ernie

Frankly, I find it incredible that the Federal government has the audacity to chastise private industry about excesses – are you kidding me! The Federal government has been all about excesses for decades and the latest Recovery Bill is just another example. Spending what you do not have and borrowing against the future and leaving the future generations to pay just the interest forget paying off the borrowed trillions. To use you own words about Corporate America – talk about tone deaf.

20. David Carter

Two weeks ago,the board of Mill Mountain Playhouse, a non-profit professional theatre in Roanoke Virginia, informed its staff on a Tuesday that the doors would close its door on Friday. The company was so much in debt that they could not even offer severance pay. The staff would have to rely on unemployment.
    Theses are friends and colleagues of mine and the first I personally know that have been affected by the recession. These are working people who have mortagages and families. The resident designer just welcomed his second child this past Fall. They are artists, yet they are also real people with real jobs. That extra money from the National Endowment for the Arts could have helped them weather this rough period. The NEA is NOT a pork project. Are people who make a living from the arts any less deserving than someone who works in a factory or a shop?

21. glenda

I don't think we should give another penny to anyone. why dosen't our so called leaders take the billions and trillions they are handing out to people that are already filthy rich and divide it among the hard working tax payers, since we are the ones paying for all this. you then would see our economy burst wide open. it makes me ashamed of the people we have put in office. there is no difference in either party. our own government is so corrupt. it is all about who can get the most money.

22. lisa

does anyone really care about Ted Haggarts sex life????

23. Bob

I am disappointed in the stimulus bill that is working its way through congress. There is much to much of "pork" and not enought job creating allocations of the money. This is not what the President campaigned on.

24. Hillary B.

What is with the nightly reporting on Ted Haggard? I am so completely over this story. Next!

25. Sharon

I think that Congress and the people with their hands out for our money will be very surprised at how we respond to this whole mess, fed up is all I can at this point! Fed Up!

26. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I agree Janine....in this country you are innocent until proven guilty and nothing has been proven yet!

27. Tom of Philly

definitely agree, with manufacturing in america, instead of just reducing capital gains why not target 0% for any domestic manufacturing investment for say 10 years or untill we are making things other than debt, or money from money, wait we arent makeing money from money anymore....

28. Kevin Vick

I am outraged by the Wall Street bonuses using taxpayer money . I encourage the President to be more aggressive. His remarks indicate that he will be having conversations with a view toward making Wall Street responsible in the future. What about the past? This reaction is inadequate. These payments should be reversed. Make them return the money. This is the only appropriate measure. Thank you. Respectfully submitted, Kevin Vick

29. Lisa

I definitely think the economic recovery package needs work, but I can't understand why republicans want more tax breaks to stimulate growth. What do they think businesses will do with the money? I think they'll do the same thing I'd do with it...hold on to it for dear life. I think they are stuck in the Reagan era. What worked then may not work now.

30. Clarence Albuquerque

The hill of beans seems to mount to more bogus bonuses ...

31. Charlene

Roland Martin – does the same apply....if you receive a handout from the government (Welfare) should you be required to open your home and refrigerators and show that those funds are being used to take care of your family and children?!?!?

32. MaryBeth

Thank God Blago is out. He is really seriously in his own universe.

33. Kathy, Chicago

I have aways been a Dem. I would have voted against the stimulas bill.

34. steve

Who said they were smart? They are arrogant thieves that should be in jail for what they have done to this country. Why are they still in charge? At very least they should be unemployed with their assets siezed so they can see first hand what they have done.

35. Allison

I hate to say it but in some way i can see why the Republicans are being a bit hesitant about passing the bill. I am all for education in every form but how is volcano research going to help our failing economy?

I am happy to see President Obama is going after the CEO's and keeping them from abusing the bailout money.

January 29, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  36. Darryl (Maineville, OH)

President Obama promised America two things during his campaign: (1) that he would create jobs by rebuilding our Nation's infrastructure, and (2) that he would attack pork with a surgical knife. And we all - even Republicans - cheered for this cause. It is very unfortunate that in what may become the most significant bill of his presidency there is little delivered on either of these Obama promises.

37. Jackie- Iowa

PS Anderson I love your show and your panelest. Keep up the good work. I sure hope President Obama can fire the jerks (CEO's ) and get any monies back that they have been given.

38. Ron

Re: the financial meltdown and subsequent bailout mess. Why not just give each taxpaying family one million dollars. This would allow people to pay their debts, go on vacations, buy cars, buy–buy-buy. Let's see if the trickle up effect goes into play because, by now, we know that the trickle down theory doesn't work,

39. Duane Beachey

What's all the conservative criticism of things in the stimulus package like millions of dollars for daycare and headstart, or improving federal buildings etc, etc. Where do they think all that money would go if not create more jobs for daycare workers or headstart teachers –and in the process allow more women to got to work because they have childcare–sounds like a two-fer to me. And wouldn't contractors who renovate Federal buildings be able to hire more construction workers if billions of dollars are going to be spent?

40. Vlad

Are any of the money going into renewable energy, building "green" infrastructure as Obama promised?

41. leah

So Mike in NY: you don't think artists, musicians and stage actors add to the economy. Ask Broadway how there plays are suffering. To create stimulous you have to get all sorts of people back to work not just construction workers.

42. Regina, Pennsylvania

At first blush, it seems questionable that some of the programs, mentioned in your report, to receive money from the stimulus bill will get the economy on the right track and get people working. I would like to hear from our elected officials exactly how they think these programs will benefit Americans. Perhaps, you could ask them. You know, keeping them honest. Then, maybe, we'll have some answers. I doubt it, though.

43. Dean in Gig Harbor

A360 Team:

It is laudible that our President is letting the Wall Street bonus boys have a peice of his mind, but, is what they are doing really any different than taking 850 billion of OUR (taxpayers) money and our childrens money to fund more programs that cannot be sustained longterm and will not contribute to the GNP in anyway. We're mortgaging what is left of our future for a bunch of feel good programs we can not afford. When will we live within our means? Where is the change? Mr. President – 'No we can't' Please don't make our problems worse stop digging. Please?!

44. b johnson

The President has set a good example, now the Dems on the hill need to follow his lead and WORK with the Republicans. This is not a game, it is deadly serious. INFRASTRUCTURE!!

45. Michelle Brown in Los Angeles - Love Obama

You want my money, I can put any restriction on it that I want to -period. That is how it works. You give them the contract and they sign it or walk away. "My Way or The Highway" should be the mantra. This is holding people responsible.

What Congress should understand is that we the people will hold them accountable for any loan given out where we hear they blow our funds on crap. They better do something and they better do something quick if they want to keep their seats.

46. Dana

Roland Martin is absolutely right! Fat Cats who get public funds/bailouts should have to answer to the public! Taxpayers

47. Gino

maybe President Obama should win over Republicans covertly, like he tried to do with that July episode or whatever.

48. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

Hello David Gergen you are the voice of reason at Cnn .

49. Cody in TX

Getting money flowing in any form works for me. Whatever those folks in washington do, they just need to do it. I just hope they make sure we don't hear about CEO's cramming half of it away in their pockets on CNN next year.

50. Aaron

As someone who works in the arts, I can tell you that $50 million to the National Endowment for the Arts will create and save many jobs at nonprofit arts organizations. And I'm sure the same can be said of some of the other types of spending that are being criticized in the stimulus plan.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13