January 29th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/29/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Minou, New York City

People always want a quick fix! Guess what, THERE IS NONE!

January 29, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  2. Annie

I think that as long as these social programs have job creation measures, people need to let them go. My brother works for a state smoking cessation program that lost its funding and now the 10 people in his program are losing thier jobs. If the Federal funding for smoking cessation includes keeping programs like these open so that people keep thier jobs and the public health is better off, then I'm all for it.

January 29, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  3. Amy

Regarding the payout of Wall Street bonuses: Please remember to differentiate between the swine in management who are responsible for the current financial crisis vs. the average worker bee who depends on some bonus to cover the cost of living modestly day to day in the New York area. (For many, their base salary is less than their monthly expenses.)

January 29, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  4. Chanel

I think most of it will stimulate the economy, but the pork has to go. And yes, pork was added even at the protest of the President.

January 29, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  5. leah

Every single one of the items Tom mentioned do create varied jobs , materials and innovation. The total is a very small amount of the total bill. Tax cuts are a one to one ratio while spending is a 1 to 1.5 ratio. Also updating federal building will save $$ in energy costs.

The Republicans are playing politics for the 2010 elections plain and simple.

January 29, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  6. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I don't that this bill is going to do much to stimulate the economy. The last one didn't and this one wont either...I really like President Obama and am very impressed that he is so adamant to get something done but I worry that it will work about as well as the last one.

January 29, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  7. Alex from Upstate New York

I love your show, and watch it 4 nights a week. But really, how many shows in a row do you have to cover this Haggard reject? Do that many people care about this guy??

January 29, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  8. Jim

It's all pork! This is going the wrong way. Great Depression II coming up.

9. Ed OConnell

That list of expenditures of the stimulus package? Every one of them puts money in the economy as fast as anything else! It provides jobs for scientists, glaziers, plumbers, artists, truckers, linemen, and hundreds of other trades. The $7.7 Big Ones for Federal buildings upgrades their energy systems to conserve and save money – that's the down-the-pike payoff. Get real.

10. angie

Really, 4 BILLION dollars to ACORN... How does that stimulate our country.... This whole "stimulus" bill is nothing but PORK!!!!!! I wish everyone would just wake up and realize what is going on... Socialization here we come... You can't deny it!!!!!

11. Lynn

I agree with MaryBeth that the execs should give back. I think any funding received should be minus with the bonuses were and an assignment of any bonuses they receive to be put back into the company.

12. karin dicker

if we do everything opposite of what the republicans did then we will be okay. i will go along with a democratic stimulus package believing that they really care about we the people.

13. Robyn

I am disgusted by this stimulus plan. I am having a hard time finding what is stimulative about it. It looks like a shopping spree, not a job creator.

14. Belin

is it true the stimulus money will come from China and India?

15. Russ

Why can't the government simply give each American 1 millions dollars and we can solve the economic crisis for just over 300 millions dollars.

I imagine the car industry will be saved quick fast as well.

16. Mac

you,ve got to be kidding me – please pass the money down to the people and feed the roots

17. Richard, Syracuse, NY

We need money in the economy now, now with tax breaks that will not help at all until at least April of 2010. The Republicans had their chance with the original TARP money and they wasted it by not holding the Banks accountable for where they spent the money. Plus the bill was full of wasteful Tax Breaks for Companies and Corporations that Republicans Wanted.

18. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

All these jobs seem to be focused on money circulating within this country. What about the trade deficits that are damaging the US economy, is there anyting in the stimulus package that addresses that issue?

19. Stephen Wilkerson Maryland

Anderson,

Can you find me one person in Washington other than Obama who actually cares about this country. Is there anyone left. Clearly there are no Republicans left and from what I've seen, I'm not sure there are any Democrats left either. Please fine one person who actually cares and show us what this person is doing.... Please anyone!

Drew

20. John, Bronx, NYC

We are borrowing every penny, and for what? To maybe keep us moving until December... Too much spending... Where are the tax credits promised, how about breaks on student loans, better yet, let us deduct credit card interest... This bill only keeps the politicans in office long enough to run for reelection in 2010... It is selfish and a mistake!

21. Deena

Do I think the stimulus package will improve our economy? I think putting people to work, stopping the hemoraging due to foreclosures, and paying back our deficit will improve our economy domestically and internationally. This stimulus package has many great ideas and still is a work in progress to find even better ideas for those that are not going to stimulate the economy right away, or have the biggest bang for the buck. A collaborative bipartisan approach to suring this up is my wish.

22. Kevin

Of course all those items listed that Republicans are making a big stink about make up just over 1% of the stimulus package. Take out the federal buildings and it's less than 0.5%.

As an arts professional, I would also point out that the $50 million for the NEA is aimed specifically at preserving jobs in the arts sector and is easily the smallest item cited.

23. Maureen T

Bye bye, Rob Blagojevich!!

January 29, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  24. Minou, New York City

Smart ppl who certainly have a much better understanding of the economy than most anyone came up with this plan. We have to trust that they know what they are doing. Pres Obama is obviously not the kind of politician who looks out for own interest or that of his cronies.

January 29, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  25. Darlene from BC

Good evening all. This is my first time blogging, though I read the blogs each evening as I watch the show. The corporate exs have really angered me. Not only did they take you, the taxpayers's money, but how many people lost their jobs so that these executives could get their bonuses?

January 29, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  26. Pat Canada

Anderson what I don't understand is why the Government doesn't have any authority to demand these CEO's either pay back the huge bonues or put it back into the Company. It is Government Money.

January 29, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  27. Matt

As soon as any private company asks for the government's financial help, they should be subject to their critical eye. This is not socialism, this is common sense. As a 22 year old, if I asked my parents for financail help, they would never blindly throw money at me without asking where it went. If these Wall Street companies don't like a prying eye, they don't need to be taking my hard earned money.

January 29, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  28. Monica from VA

Good evening AC and all you beautiful people!

Hmmmm I am starting to question this plan myself. The majority of it does sound a bit silly.

January 29, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  29. Sharon

No I think this is a worse bill than the last one! I mean what is it doing for the immediate REAL problems?

Seems like more democratic bull to me!

January 29, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  30. Patricia W. from Canada

Good evening Anderson,

What a wonderful change that has come about that Obama will actually notice and do something about this abuse of 'bailout' funds. I think that such financial faux pas have been going on for far too long and it brings hope that someone with the power to change this sees it this way as well.

January 29, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  31. Jim Elswick

A quick addendum to the President's comments on the irresponsible Wall Street bonuses. Perhaps Mr. Obama was too gentle. I would also add the wrong-headed attitude of "arrogant entitlement" displayed by these greedy and clueless CEO's.

Jim Elswick

January 29, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  32. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

Bipartisian i am confused by this meaning? please explain what tha t mean s for the stimuus package.

January 29, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  33. Vanessa, TX

FINALLY Blagojevich is done! can you believe he tried to BEG for his job? LOL

January 29, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  34. Barbara in Boston

I agree with every item on Tom Forman's list. I'd rather have my tax dollars spent there than sent to wage war in Iraq - or on bonuses to Wall St bankers.

January 29, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  35. jennifer

if the taxpayers are giving money to these banks, then the compensation should definitely be regulated. how can it not?

wow, all those numbers tom is talking about – mind boggling. confused how some of it will help create jobs?

January 29, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  36. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

We better hope the stimulus package works. I'm not happy about it at all, but it looks like it's going full steam ahead.

January 29, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  37. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

LOL. Blagojevich is hilarious. I love ow he's trying to play the martyr card without knowing he looks pitiful.

January 29, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  38. Donna Montreal

Hi Anderson, Erica, David G., bloggers and anyone else who's out there. Hope you all have a great evening of blogging.

January 29, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  39. Kathy, Chicago

Why doesn't Pres Obama keep Congress from putting so much pork in this stimulas. I thought that he promised to remove pork.

January 29, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  40. Sharon

NO! I do not think this will stimulate any economy it seems like a bad joke to me really!

January 29, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  41. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

The stockholders have little influence unless they (mutual funds, etc.) own large blocks of the stocks. The key is the board of directors. In other words, people like us have to take our ethical barometers to another company because we're not going to affect change.

January 29, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  42. Mike, Syracuse NY

OMG, volcano monitors and artwork? The Dems are in a spending frenzy. Don't they understand that every dollar needs to be on job creation?

January 29, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  43. Thomas

Where are the guidelines that will prevent the CEO abuse of bailout money??? That is what I expect from President Obama. Not just condemnation, but accountability with real consequence, that will stop them from looting us, AND GETTING AWAY with it.

January 29, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  44. Angie Veach - Deer Creek, Indiana

I don’t support pet projects in this time of economic uncertainty unless the supporters of those projects can prove to us citizens how they will create more jobs. I want this plan to pass and I’d support $850 Billion as long as jobs get created. I’m not a republican (registered Independent). I wouldn’t have supported this current bill either. I’m glad there will be other opportunities to fine-tune this before it gets approved.

January 29, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  45. Daniel Levin

The fat cats on Wall Street should give back their bonuses. The bonuses were outrageous and disproportional in the good days. They are unacceptable when investors are wiped out because of them.

January 29, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  46. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That's right bloggers!!!!
    I know all of you want bring our money back. no bailout.... they are wasting our time to spend our money.

January 29, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  47. Kassie Wright

Good evening, Anderson and best bloggers

I must say that I agree with you, MaryBeth. I couldn't have said that better myself.

January 29, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  48. Judy

Good evening. The government should mandate that these execs give back their bonuses - after all, they really weren't earned in the first place. The bonus money should then be subtracted from the TARP money given to those companies and returned to the TARP fund for other companies that need it or families on the brink of foreclosure.

January 29, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  49. RA

Hooray, President Obama...the Wall Street banker can't have their cake and eat it too...there must be accountability...it was great to see the President's passion for making the greedy come to terms with their own selfishness. God bless the President!

January 29, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  50. Sharon

OMG! Who came up with this plan?

January 29, 2009 at 10:08 pm |