January 29th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/29/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Lauren

The gay community must be so offended by Ted Haggard. I'm straight, and I fume everytime he talks. Calling his "homosexual attachments" a "crisis" is nothing more than using religion to hide his insecurities and closed-minded ignorance.

January 29, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  2. Lindsay

Whoa, Too Much Information! This is really ridiculous! I bet their kids are totally embarrassed that their parents are discussing their sex life on national television. Thank goodness they are not my parents!

January 29, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  3. Isaac

Ted is looking for an excuse to start another Church, he is looking for easy cash now.

January 29, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  4. Michelle Searles

This poor former evangelical leader is gay and should sit down and not continue ministering when he is so obviously torn between two minds. He will confuse so many of his followers.

January 29, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  5. Pati Mc

Great conversation. Enjoyed it immensely.

Have a restful evening Anderson, Erica, David, Jeff and crew. You deserved it. Lots of info tonite.

See you tomorrow! Nite nite!

January 29, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  6. Esma

The word "elite", unless negated, should never be used to describe Sarah Palin.

January 29, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  7. Stephen Wilkerson Maryland

David Gergen,

Really, you were stunned about the 18 Billion... Really. My guess is, it's a lot more then that. Here's another total surprise for you. Our congress give money to companies in ear marks and they give the same money back to the congressmen as contributions. Surprise, surprise, surprise.....

January 29, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  8. Mary - Grandville, MI

Good evening. Has anyone in our higher offices considered giving a large sum of money to tax payers (over the age of 21) to pay off their debt as a way of stimulating the economy?

January 29, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  9. Michelle- CT

A psychologist to talk about Haggard? Why? To diagnose him? Whether someone is gay, straight, bi or "conflicted", it is really up to no one but them to decide what they are. Non of us can say how he's feeling or who he loves, and as with any sexuality, it's insulting to try.

January 29, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  10. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

"but cannot compromise on the lifestyle"

I must clarify for everyone. Being gay is NOT a lifestyle. A lifestyle is a choice.

January 29, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  11. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Erica...it is a little early! I'm still not sure I'm over the 2008 election...I can't even bring myself to think about a 2012 campaign yet!

January 29, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  12. Martha

I feel sorry for Ted Haggard. He is trying to be a good man and is gracious, but he is not being honest with himself. His homosexuality is biological , he should not have to hide it and our society should not shame him nor should his church. He has no control over his biology, poor guy has to stay in some kind of closet all his life – it's a sad sad shame on our society.

January 29, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  13. LisaL - Canada

the difference here is that most people don't have to work through issues like this in public. i would imagine it makes it more difficult.

January 29, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  14. LisaN Barnwell, SC

A person's sexuality doesn't bother me but listening to Haggard makes me grind my teeth. It's like the CEO's saying they are not greedy, they just have a greedy attachment to money..

January 29, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  15. Marie Lussoro and Mom

it's so refreshing to see a family accept one another as they are. they are going through so much . support , reconciliation,forgiveness,understanding and love are needed during their journey to wholeness. his wive,and his son marcus, are true examples of how to live the gospel of Christ.

January 29, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  16. Matt (Atlanta)

Haggard probably would have done better to just admit his orientation and ask his congregation for forgiveness....as well as members of the gay community!

January 29, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  17. Sharon

Haggard needs to get real with himself! He is what he is!

Just don't preach anti homesexual than go do it in your spare time!
    Live and let live!

January 29, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  18. Mehdi

He has grown up with these feelings.

One is born as a Homosexual or Bisexual or Heterosexual.

I really think that if he does not come out and accept that he is a Bisexual man, the repercussion will be huge

January 29, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  19. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Haggard's wife can never admit that he is gay even if she wanted to because it would mean that her entire marriage was a lie.

January 29, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  20. Cassandra

In my neck of the woods, a heterosexual man with homosexual attachments is referred to as being on the "down low". Apparently he no longer has to be on the "down low" since his wife appears to approve of his homosexual lifestyle.

January 29, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  21. Pat Canada

David Thanks so much for your information on the Bonuses. So glad to hear it! And I hope Obama cracks down on them hard. Thought there must be something Government could do.

January 29, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  22. Cynthia

Why can't Haggard just admit that he is bisexual?

January 29, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  23. Jacqui Chan

these statements about Haggards sexuality sound very much like they are stated in a way that he, being homophobic can accept. I wonder if these therapists are also eve angelical. the man is bisexual or gay; he needs to accept this . No need to sugar coat it! he needs to open his mind to the idea that God does not discriminate due to ones sexual orientation. By repressing his sexuality he has only betrayed his wife and family and caused mistrust among his community. I wish he would use this experience to teach the eve angelical community that God loves gays and homosexuality. this is not a choice or negative way to live. Perhaps this is his purpose and way to serve God.

January 29, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  24. Arden

'Cured of homosexuality?'

That's both improbably and just plain dumb. You're born the way you are.
    There's no denied what you are, and Haggard is no exception.

January 29, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  25. jarrod

ted hagggard pretty much told everybody he was gay in preaching if you listen close enough to sermons

January 29, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  26. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

I think the whole issue with Ted Haggard is a real life issue. But many would rather compartmentalize his behavior and explain it away as “denial”. He should be given credit for even attempting to come to terms with something so complex in one’s life.

@James: Well said. Seems like so many people form opinions first before understanding the complete situation.

January 29, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  27. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I don't know why, but Haggard's uneasy smile during the entire interview with LK suggests to me that he is lying.

January 29, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  28. jane

It occurs to me that God may have more of a problem forgiving those who are making a buck off Haggard's troubled life than he will have in forgiving Haggard himself. I find it curious that we should all dwell on this man's personal tragedy.

January 29, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  29. Judith

Why all the attention on Haggard? He has problems, granted, but I'm sick of hearing his blatant "teasers" for the documentary. Who cares about his sexual predilections any more than anyone else's?

Spending so much time on this subject is beneath you, Anderson.

Move on.

January 29, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  30. Sara File

I was a little disturbed that Mr. Haggard never apologized to the church volunteer that he masturbated in front of. He just seemed so concerned with what would happen to him (Haggard) if it got out. He could have at least apologized.

January 29, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  31. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

Conflict? Ted Haggard isn't in a conflict! He's a moronic man who wants redemption where he doesn't deserve it! He's a hypocrite and a coward!

January 29, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  32. Blake from Indiana

I have no respect for Haggard. I'm a gay man and I do not believe you can be heterosexual with gay attachments. He cheated on his wife, took drugs, then got up and preached to many people. These people looked up to him. Many people trusted him. How can you respect a person who does this?

January 29, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  33. claire-wichita, ks

Regaridng Haggard and his wife–martial love should not be based solely on the sex–it is a union between two people who are committed to building a life together and weathering storms. It seems they have weathered the storms well.

January 29, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  34. Rikki, Fargo, ND

...I meant to say that Haggard is lucky and blessed to have a family that sticks by him...(my head got ahead of my typing fingers 🙂 )

January 29, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  35. Nattada, Houston TX

Good evening everyone,

Well, for me, being gay or bi or whatever is o.k.
    He is just being what he is at the wrong place and wrong time. With his position, people will be absolutely interested and expected him to be clear of what he really is. And yes, he is in denial.

I think his wife is quite a strong women to be in her situation and still be able to do what she does.

January 29, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  36. Arthur

Greetings,

Ted Haggard is not being forthright about his sexuality; I believe he is under pressure from his church.

January 29, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  37. Sunny

What happened to "practice what you preach"?

I don't care what Mr. Haggard does behind closed doors, but don't preach to me one thing and LIVE another.

January 29, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  38. jeff

Retool Ted and get a new job.

January 29, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  39. Lori from IL

Must be a full moon tonight - Blago, Haggard and now Sarah Palin?!

January 29, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  40. Rocki

Ted Haggard reached more hearts tonight than in all the years on the pulpit. I believe Jesus said, "Let he who has no sin, cast the first stone." The honesty, humilty and sorrow he has expressed should inspire us all.

January 29, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  41. James Burch

We need to work Americans, not the 12 million illegals over here now. Enforce the laws and fine those who are breaking the law out of business.

January 29, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  42. Cynthia

Let's stop with the moral indignation, Anderson. My husband (and many of your Yale and Dalton friends, Anderson) did 20 hour days in high stress FOR YEARS before making 7 figures on Wall St. Few people can do these jobs – that's why they get paid what they do. NONE of the losses in his bank came from his group and his bonus is down 78% (and, btw, his bank has taken 0 TARP funds). Here's what happens if you pay 0 bonuses: we foreclose on the house a few down from you in Quiogue, NY, Anderson, and the value of YOUR house plunges far more than the 20 percent it already has. We know. We've had it on the market for months. The entire NY economy would bottom out if you paid bankers 0 bonuses.

January 29, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  43. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Haggard is certainly still in denial regarding his own sexuality, but I don't think he in any way is aware of this. If anything, he seems to think he has overcome his denial. But his aversion to the word "bisexual" is an indicator that he still has a deep-seated issue with any orientation outside of stringent heterosexuality.

January 29, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  44. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I do think, however, that Haggard has a family that is willing to stick by him through all of this ridiculousness.

January 29, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  45. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Jana, Indiana, I agree Haggard and his wife aren't the first to live in denial about this subject and they won't be the last, but sooner or later it all comes out.

January 29, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  46. Mark

Teds response to the caller who was Gay ... " we need to read scripture and come to our own conclusions" . True... through reading we will conclude. I'm interested in knowing where Ted , as a potential forgiven leader in a new congregation, stands ?
    I feel that he's is too vague with his answeres. How does God view the practice of "Gay Marriage" and Gay single relationships ?
    We must lovingly accept gay freinds in our churches but cannot compromise on the lifestyle

January 29, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  47. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Give me a break! He’s GAY. A therapist doesn’t know how any person feels inside. I love these “therapists” giving him wrong information. Their licences should be taken away–they’re just making it more difficult. And, sexual feelings and “relationships” are two different things.

January 29, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  48. Jeff

Where is the gray area between being a heterosexual and a homosexual? Why are people defining it to fit their own needs?

January 29, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  49. Mehdi

As a gay man, i know that Ted is not honest with himself and his family or everyone else.

January 29, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  50. Clarence Albuquerque

Is Ted H being honest with himself??? If it's just about himself then why all the fanfare for the fans??

January 29, 2009 at 10:48 pm |