January 29th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/29/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. kim-chicago

Yes Anderson...to answer your question...I do think Ted Haggard is in total denial.

January 29, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  2. Adriana

There are so many people out there like Haggard...he is the only one that gets attention...And I think that we should discuss more about equal rights for gay and lesbians than about Haggard and his false dilema...

January 29, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  3. Deb

Haggard, forgive him, but don't forget him. I find him hard to listen too.

January 29, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  4. Skyler, NY

I can't believe this guy can't admit to himself that he's at the very least bisexual! *shaking my head*

January 29, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  5. niwat, Chicago, IL

Hi AC, team AC360 and news chatters,

One of the thing that i admire about Haggard's family was how supportive his son is. If you ask me, it is alright for him to be gay ( though he denied it ) but to hear from Grant Hass, say that he can have fun on side sound much too selfish and self justification.

January 29, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  6. RJ

The wall street industry was a huge contributor to Mr. Obamas campaign. Does anyone truly believe that this "anger" with the CEOs is nothing but a show to demonstrate to the American people that he is really watching out for us?

January 29, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  7. Miguel, Bronx, NY

re: Haggard: It's sad how this man is exploiting his family and immediate situation for his personal gain. This is an obvious prelude to a book he secretly planning to write. Being gay isn't evil; hypocracy, maybe.

January 29, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  8. Beth

Haggard needs to walk away quietly.

January 29, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  9. Paul Nardone

Ted.... You are well versed in telling us how your therapists define you.... How do you define you? Heterosexual with complications – Oh, Please! You sound rediculous!

January 29, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  10. Kevin From SD

I don't really care if Ted is gay or what? Any good news out there to report....Thanks.

January 29, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  11. Jody

I am so glad to see some national coverage of Peoria, IL and Caterpillar. Both of my grandfathers worked at Caterpillar and the corporation is the heart and soul of our economy. (It's also nice to see John King standing in East Peoria in front of the Illinois River.)

January 29, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  12. Abby

Haggard is a compulvise liar. He lies to himself, he lies to his wife, he lies to his church... I hope people who watch this realize how stupid it is to condemn homosexuality. We're in 2009. Get over it. A person's sexuality has nothing to do with their character.

January 29, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  13. Mary Rothschild

Wish there had been more reporting on the equal pay legislation being signed and less re: Haggart (who is "interested in public speaking")

January 29, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  14. Shehan Jayawardena

I heard the excerpt of the Ted Haggard’s interview; you can’t help but feel sorry for the guy… I think he is in denial; it is truly a fundamental perception he has instilled in his mind about homosexuality and cannot truly accept or love himself for all he is. Unfortunately he is a carbon copy of a lot of evangelicals going through the same unnecessary mental trauma...

January 29, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  15. Alex (Aliso Viejo)

IMHO, sexuality is a personal and an intimate thing. He doesn't need to prove anything to the world but to himself and to the people who is important to him. He doesn't need to show or verbal about it either. I hope he finds happiness towards his journey.

Watched Erica's Live webcast for the first time. I think it is awesome if I know how to access it more. 🙁

January 29, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  16. Steven B. Cordova

I really wish that Ted would recognize the pressure and inability to be real with the Gospel. I'm not hearing any real Living Gospel coming though his experience. He sounds like he is still covering up his real feelings. ... I'm a gay male and I fight these battles everyday.... I don't find a whole lot of comfort in his statements...

January 29, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  17. Bob

the Reverend is gay, his wife needs a real man, but who cares

18. Fred

I think If Ted wants to say he is suppressing thoughts he can do it. Straight men suppress thoughts of lust toward women when they are married. There is no difference.

Let him work through his troubles.

19. MJF

Cow, pig, crow … I think we are too high on the evolutionary chain. We should be talking about cockroaches

20. Dorothy-CA

Are people out there really interested in this whole Haggard story. I'm sure not. Why do we care?

21. Mark D, San Francisco

...and I'm a straight-acting, bi-male trippersexual with occasional manageable complications.

22. Pati Mc

@ Joshua T – As the ex-wfie of a gay man, you should not be so quick to judge Mrs. Haggard. Juse because someone is gay is no reason to turn on them. Think before you speak.

23. leah

Minou: I think Haggard is bisexual as well

24. Gabriel

Mr Haggard is in total denial of his sexuality. Picture this: if you are in bed with a man on one side a woman on the other and you stilll have arousal either side you turn, you are then a BI-Sexual man...Period Acceptence is the start of all healing.

25. Susan (Oklahoma)

Of course I want to forgive Ted Haggard. But I can't help but wonder how many youngster are still hurting from something he said or preached to them.

26. Renee

Would someone explain the bi-sexual thing to me? Can you really be true to yourself if you are bi-sexual or are you always fighting yourself at one point or another?

27. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I guess Ted thinks that the devil made him do "it!"

28. Kassie Wright

I cannot believe the coverage on Haggard right now. It's ridiculous, but of course, it's this trend right now, you know?

29. Thomas

Its funny that the CEOs of wall street get a bail out and someone like me who served in the military for over twenty years and now disabled can only receive 80% of his social security. Who needs the help ? People in the same situation as me. Unable to work and earn more money. I thank GOD for what I have. It seem rather odd that these CEOs get billion dollar bonuses and billion sin bail out money. They get the gold mine and the american people get the shaft.

30. Heidi Ann Berg

What a great forgiving and loving family

31. Kathy

Anderson,
    I am surprised to see that you have stooped to reporting this type of story – to give this guy a platform for his sensationalism is only rewarding him for his sick acts.
    I came home from a long day – hungry for news – There has to be a more newsworthy story – please!

32. James

I think the whole issue with Ted Haggard is a real life issue. But many would rather compartmentalize his behavior and explain it away as "denial". He should be given credit for even attempting to come to terms with something so complex in one's life.

33. Jen

I think Ted is hoping all this attention will lead to money. On Larry King he and his wife kept saying they want to tell their story. Tell it for money, I assume. And you can bet he'll be using the money to pay for more male prostitutes sooner or later.

There's nothing wrong with having trouble accepting your sexuality, although it's unfortunate and sad. However, his attacking gays and lesbians in his preaching was hypocritical and despicable.

34. Ali

gonna have to wait and see what the wife says

35. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

David Gergen, I hope President Obama uses every tool he has to hold the companies feet to the fire on the bonuses. They are making a sham out of the generous handout they got.

36. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Homosexual attachments......do you get that in emails? Maybe THAT'S my "problem!!!" 🙂

37. JR

So did Ted Haggard go to a bunch of different counselors until he heard one that was willing to tell him that his homosexuality is a psychological problem? He doesn't have any psychological problems, he's just gay. And if he's gay, so what?! Accept who you are and move on.

38. Mehdi

Why doesn't Ted Haggard admit that he is a besexual man instead of insisting that he is heterosexual man with complications.

39. Ako

Ted Haggard is operating from a privileged standpoint. He's being courted as if he invented the cure for cancer. He's just a weak repressed man in denial about his sexuality.

40. Jon

I pitty Ted Haggard. He has yet to reconile his homosexuality. He is very effiminate, that is for sure. He said he wanted to please God. How about being honest with himself? His wife is in such denial, as are his children. Has he no shame?

41. Jesse

Is anyone else sick of all this? Time after time these people come out apologizing that they did something as sick as this, and then people in the church, including the accused, preach against it in the pulpit. Does anyone else think that this screams of the utmost hypocrisy?

42. Alexa

I think the Ted Haggard story is really interesting because I was at New Life Church in the summer of 2005 for their youth summer conference called Desperation. I saw him preach one of the Sundays he was there. He seemed totally honest but we all have hidden sin in our lives. I think that when God is working through someone like that, the Enemy is going to try to attack you anyway he can in order to stop that. The man is only human and there is no sin that is too big for God's mercy. Just because he was a pastor doesn't mean he is perfect. My prayers are with him and his family.

43. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I don't believe a word of what Haggard is saying.

44. Lynn

Heterosexual with complications???
    Yikes!

45. Harry

Not only he is in denial, he is downright lying. Isn't lying another sin in the bible ?

46. paula

The reverend 'sbehaviour is disgusting, but we should forgive him and pray for his recovery.

47. lidija

this is so wrong to present such a false image of yourself and to propose that someone else should do the same, read a script and be right? what? today? so the script is right and we are not

48. Beth Johnson

The new "stimulus" package is politics as usual. It's outrageous. The fact that Washington is trying to bail out anyone with our tax dollars is questionable at best.

49. Joshua T-WA State.

Why does he think that he is not gay? If you like men, then you just like men. Plain and simple.

50. Theresa Perry Sacramento, CA

Minou your right lets move on, there are so many more important things to talk about

January 29, 2009 at 10:44 pm |