January 29th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/29/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. geo23

Why is it that when i get a loan from a bank i am required to abide by the rules of the bank and everything is monitored very closely, however, when the banks need our help and we borrow them money and “no one knows” where the money ($350 BILLION) went. WAKE UP PEOPLE, WE’VE BEEN SCAMMED!!!

January 29, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  2. Valerie

Does haggard get money for appearing on these shows. Enough is enough. He says the same thing. Frankly, I don't care

January 29, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  3. Timothy

A very simple thought – my opinions are neutral about mr Haggards actions. I am filled with respect for him that he's being frank, open and gracious about his actions.
    Its what should be "Americas" road to forgiveness for him.

January 29, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  4. Karen C

OK, get off Haggard. It was all on King already. I have so little interest in some man's sexual struggles noted only because he was a famous pastor. Spare me.

January 29, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  5. Wesley Corbett

It is people like Mr. Haggard who are only hurting the situation. To say that homosexuality can be fixed is outrageous. Take a look at the movie Prayers for Bobby. A true story about a mother who tried to fix her son who ended up killing himself because of it. Maybe we should look towards acceptance of the GBLT instead of trying to "fix" them.

January 29, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  6. Glen

Probably looking for a book deal.

January 29, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  7. Linda Palmer

I support the economic stimulus package. The so-called "democratic add-ins" focus on improving the "American" situation which was sorely neglected by the previous Republican congress and president. Shame on all the "Republicans" who voted "no" – are they so insensitive to our people's plight that they voted to let us continue to wallow in their already deeply dug trenches!

January 29, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  8. Clarence Albuquerque

David G.... you bring us back to what's affecting most people.... at least in the US.... I'm not sure that what affects the US really affects the majority of world citizens...

January 29, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  9. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Anderson, we're not so much talk about Haggard as much as talking about the fact that we are sick of talking about him.

January 29, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  10. Francisco, California

I don't believe the former pastor. I don't believe he isn't gay and that he is anywhere near completely healed. Over three decades of thinking secretly about men, doesn't just go away by praying to Jesus and seeing several psychologists.

January 29, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  11. Michael C

I think it's important to realize that Reverend Haggard appears to be saying whatever it takes to return his life to the way that it was. You cannot have a psychologist tell you what your sexuality is. As a gay male, you must come to this realization on your own. He may never reach this conclusion. Acceptance is own of the hardest stages of starting to love yourself. Just ask Clay Aiken...

January 29, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  12. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

OMG! Minou~ You might be right! Of course, he's bi~sexual! I am so glad we can diagnose this on the 360 blog! 😉

January 29, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  13. Natalie Morgan

Ted mentioned what his therapist thought was his sexual orientation. The answer that matters is what you think Ted. And if you prefer men, god still loves you. What is so wrong with loving? Allow yourself to be authentic-it's ok.

January 29, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  14. Kate

Wow-trying to figure out Haggard's wife

January 29, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  15. Lena

Mr. Haggard is truly an amazing man. I believe everyone has a black cloud, and it you ask for forgiveness from yourself and God, you will be blessed with God's love, grace and forgiveness. Thank you for having him and his wife on your show.
    May God's love and grace continue to be with this family

January 29, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  16. Daniel

It is interesting that Haggard can now "dismiss" his homosexual tendencies like a smoker can dismiss a cigarette craving. Maybe someone will come out with a homosexuality patch.

January 29, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  17. Tammy

I am saddened by the actions of Ted Haggard, but thankful we serve a God who is forgiving and who asks those who believe in Him to forgive. Ted's wife is one strong woman – and I'm sure some people may feel she's a doormat but I disagree, she believes in her family and in her God.
    He is still struggling and has to make a choice but she stands firm in her faith in God!

January 29, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  18. Karen C

50 million is a pittance as far as this bill goes and the arts are just like small businesses. They aren't talking about movie stars. It is for the artists who make the same or less than many of us, yet let that voice go out and we lose part of our culture and our civilization. It isn't just actors, but musicians, stage hands, extension arts centers, and much much more. It's still about keeping jobs.

January 29, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  19. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Everytime Ted and his wife categorize his gay "tendencies" as being a mental disorder or that it is a result of confusion they are insulting the entire gay population. Obviously his opinion of gays has not changed.

20. Stephen

I CANNOT believe that ANYONE believes you can go from having sex with men on the side to not.....IT DOES NOT HAPPEN!!! He is lying!

21. Glen

Ted H., you are a sick man and I feel sorry for your wife and kids.

22. Minou, New York City

Enough of Haggard please!

23. Myron

Renee, sorry I meant He is deciding if he is bi-sexual, sorry

24. Joshua T

Ted Haggard is a hot mess, and should be ashamed to be in public. His wife is dumb as two left shoes, and should have left him.

25. Lori Hillis-Jerome

I am thinking that the good Pastor Ted Haggard is a closet gay man and is in huge denial. At the very least he is bi-sexual. And I think that he has no reason to be ashamed of it. The only thing he has to be ashamed of is lying to himself and his family. His wife loves him dearly, that is plain to see, but my goodness, its time to get out of the closet and deal with real life. There is nothing to be ashamed of just because your hardwiring happens to be different from most.

26. David, Indiana

Erica I enjoyed your intvw w/ Jeffery Toobin good question about implicit acknwldgmnt of slicing and dicing, quid pro quo

Megan, I agree w/ Jeffery Toobin, Blagojevich was all on his own, no lawyer, and shld have been more deeply involved in the process to address the impeachment articles. I do feel he loves the people of Illinois, as he said, and wants to serve them. He seems to have been overexuberant in some ways, but a better defense would maybe have saved him.

On the bonuses on Wall Street, I agree w/you that is a lot of money, a stunning amount as David and Anderson said.

27. Maureen T

Andrson,
    Ted Haggard needs to come to terms with who he is. Like I've said before, the truth will set him free. He's obviously not comfortable admitting that he is gay or bisexual. It's a tricky issue. Ted keeps hiding behind the bible...

28. Larry Stone, California

The hugh bonuses paid by companies asking for government handouts is beyond outrageous. I would like to see Congress pass a law retroactively taxing those bonuses at 90%, and at the same time making them NOT tax deductable by the companies that paid them. I doubt they would have the courage to do this, but it would certainly be an appropriate response.

29. Abby

Haggard is the perfect example of how twisted one can become if they let religion rule their life. His repression of his homosexuality is sad. He can't even admit it to himself. At his age, he should at least be able to admit it to himself. Very sad.

30. Joe Scerra, Richmond, VA

It seems as if Haggard is saying what he can in order to get around the situation. Whose to say that a few years from now the same sort of scandal won't happen again. I think that's a fair assumption, looking at his record.

-Joe

31. Lee Kelso

Please don't waste your time and mine with this disgraced preacher who can't decide whether he's gay or straight. Why give him even one moment in front of the camera? Don't we all have more important things to be concerned about?

32. Deena

The worst thing Haggard did was to condemn people for their choices when he was making similar if not same choices. To judge others so harshly has bomeranged and I think he has already suffered enough.
    I feel sad for him as he is struggling with something that appears to be a personal challenge of choice, temptation, and preferences.

On the otherhand, I also hope he is not staging compassion for himself and having moved people before is doing it again by using the media and acting.

January 29, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  33. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

I was a bit surprised at how unflinching the Larry King interview was. I was impressed.

Onto Haggard, I don't know what exactly he hopes will come of this media blitz. It seems a little unnecessary. I'm beginning to wonder if he's become a pawn in his own ordeal, as it would certainly be easy to exploit.

As for this line about being a "heterosexual with homosexual tendencies," he needs a new therapist. In English, that's bisexual.

January 29, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  34. Clarence Albuquerque

Thanks Genevieve....we seem to pass over the news of train wrecks more quickly than we do the personalities that flash in the pan.

January 29, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  35. Myron

Renee: I think is deciding if he is bisexual, lol

January 29, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  36. Stacy

What kind of therapist is Ted Haggard going to? He's gay. The only complication is that he's in denial.

January 29, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  37. Vanessa, TX

Of course he's in denial JEEZ ...I can see this to be a funny skit for SNL this weekend..Blago, Palin, Haggard

January 29, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  38. Theresa Perry Sacramento, CA

I really want to hate Haggared but i just feel bad for him, no matter who you are or what you believe sexuality is a complicated issue

January 29, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  39. Pati Mc

It seems like Haggard is being very honest about what he did and did not do. Maybe a little too honest.

It makes me terribly sad that if the man is gay, he feels for whatever reason that he cannot admit it. This is what this country has created for people. It is so sad. Live and let live, people.

January 29, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  40. Sharon

thank You Betty I feel the same way can we move on?

I am sick of corrupt preachers we know most religious leaders are just human! OK! enough said let them deal with their own demons we have a crisis in America pay attention!

January 29, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  41. Paul and Shari

It was encouraging to hear President Obama comment on the Wall Street Bonus payouts. We couldn't agree with him more! We hope CNN AC360 will publicly post the names of the people that voted to award the bonuses and the people that accepted them.

January 29, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  42. matthewbenzor

Our maybe they threw themseles under the bus if this works whats a new name for a old party

January 29, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  43. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Haggard is ridiculous! A heterosexual with "complications?" Who is he trying to kid?

January 29, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  44. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I agree with others, Four nights of Ted Haggard is too much. What about some info on Afghanistan and our troops. We've forgotten them.

January 29, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  45. Michelle Brown in Los Angeles - Love Obama

So is Hagard now accepting of all people and does he believe that God created us all Gay, Hetrosexual, black, white, etc. ?

Something about his apology is just not sitting right with me. As a alledged man of God, he should have known not to judge, hate, blah, blah, blah. Seems to me that he just wants to be back in the money.

He wasn't thinking about his little boy, why should anyone else? What a horrible apology to that guy. .

January 29, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  46. Minou, New York City

Honestly, I think Haggard is bi. I know a loooot of gay men, and everyone of them would cringe with disgust at the thought of touching a woman's breast. Obviously Haggard had plenty of sex with his wife..

January 29, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  47. David Gergen

Hello everyone - we are all stunned by those $18 billion in bonuses for Wall Street execs last year - the same companies that lost $35 billion and came hat in hand to Washington.

MaryBeth raises a good question tonight: can Washington do anything? Answer: yes, the goveernment can certainly pressure the firms not to pay the bonuses. Bank of America is reportedly moving in that direction, so that those $4 billion that Merrill Lynch promised its execs last December won't be paid this February as promised (something apparently causing outrage among the Merril folks). Ultimately, if the govt invests more in these companies, it can fire top people, as it did when it essentially took over Fannie Mae and Freddy Mac.

With public outrage so high at these excesses, key now is to watch how Obama tries to crack down when he announces his new plans next week. Thanks for joining in tonight.

January 29, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  48. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Funny how Sarah Palin wants to go to that dinner in Washington this weekend because Obama is going to be there.

January 29, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  49. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I'm with you Maureen! Where do I pick up an application?

January 29, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  50. Judith-Noelle Lamb

Please! Enough about this idiot Ted Haggard. Why are you enabling him? He obviously enjoys the attention–I don't. There are more important stories to discuss.

January 29, 2009 at 10:40 pm |