January 28th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/28/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Karanja

The GOP has shown where they truly stand by voting against this bill. They wanted tax cuts – well, the bill is 1/3 tax cuts. They however complained that the Tax cuts went to people making under 250K a year, albeit in coded language using words such as "tax cuts for people who don't pay income taxes" even going as far as calling it welfare. Let the GOP come out and declare that they only support tax cuts for the very wealthy as is clearly the case!

2. Ammar Hussain

The stimulus plan consists of a lot of possibilities for the economy. However, I have not heard of any improvements in public transport works. Lets put this money to work on an efficient railway system that runs throughout the entire country. Such a huge project will create plenty of jobs, decrease dependency on gasoline for so many individual commuters, and help mobility. Keep in mind, a good railway system can be more green, and time saving.
    Just to put in perspective, it takes over 3days to travel from Erie, PA to Los Angles, Cali via Amtrak.

3. blaine jones

I'm sick of the republican whining. 8 years of tax breaks & record spending that's produced the worse economy since the depression. I do believe in the free enterprise system. But the trickle down theory only seems to work for the have's. The president's plan calls for giving hope to the young. What the republicans don't realize is that if the young are not educated they won't be employable. I think that after 8 years of a blind white house a bumbling republican led senate & 6 years of a incompetent republican congress, any change is welcome. Let's give it a chance before your gloom & doom predictions. Geez lueez.

4. Sharon

Ok nothing works perfectly I get that but can we not get a LOT closer than these bills we are seeing?

Come ON I can do better I really can give me a shot!

5. Rikki, Fargo, ND

We do have a long way to go. I do have my doubts but I really do hope that this package does help. We shall see what happens...there are still many votes before it gets out of the Senate so the bill will still change.

PS. I love that David Gergen always brings up the comments on the blog!

6. Michelle Brown in Los Angeles - Love Obama

I am sure Republicans find it hard to understand the plan, they are so opposed to anyone other than their wealthy friends. This bill helps those less fortunate than those in power.

Only 5% to roads, bridges, school? Break-out the rest.

Oh, they did not deserve a cocktail party, none of them, they are all doing their jobs.

7. John Michaels

I thought this was a new era for change. Providing monies for contraception and out of control state spending isn't stimulus its expansion of government and won't help one American get a job. Come on!! This is the worst economy since the 1920's, we don't need contraceptives we need jobs and stability. Obama better step up and get control of this Congress.

8. sue

Candy Crowley where are you? Please, please, please get her to cover the White House.
    Ed Henry better learn how to be objective & remember he is a journalist and not an editorialist-The presidents "Ugly Win"-not sure where Ed sees the presidents uglieness...The "ugly win" should be said about the republicans in the house-they felt they have won tonight-although very unattractively.
    I'm not asking Ed to fawn all over the president-but his 2 cents are just that-keep it to yourself Ed.

9. leslie in georgia

Hello Bloggers:

Lets get together and flex our muscles America and tell our elected officials we want a bail out! How about giving all taxpayers making less thant $100,000 a $100,000 bail out. We would spend the money on getting out of debt, starting businesses, paying for health care, helping our aging parents, etc. The taxpayers would do better with the money than the banks and wall street. It would jump start the economy for sure!

What about Anderson? It would work.

10. Miriam C

David, the more roads and bridges we are talking fuel consumption. I hope we come with some way to be independant for oil – home grown oil is what we need. Now that we are at 2 dollars, surely if it is home-grown it will be a dollar or even less than that. We have reduced for cars/trucks, what about aviation and space study? We still have to meet that expense...

11. Gary

The fact that everyone is calling this a stimulus package is hilarious. Obama owns it and when it fails he will aslo.

12. Jim

I just watched Candy Crowley's story about the Republican backlash to the stimulus plan. I think she got it wrong. The story should have been about how the Republicans failed to understand the clear message that was sent during the past 2 elections. It's not about Barack not receiving their support...it's about the Republicans failing to understand the will of the American public.

13. Rey

President Obama bend over backwards to get GOP support, but what did he get–big zero vote. I am very disappointed.

14. Kate

I am all for a stimulus package but this isn't one. A lot of these items should be voted on, not hidden in a stimulus package.

The republicans don't have to go along if they don't support the package. If the democrats think it's a great bill then pass is and accept responsiblity for it.

15. Jessica Starr

I am not economist, but from a cultural point of view the fact that this bill gives 50 million to the National Endowments for the Arts ensures me that we are not culturally dead. Perhaps, if we had all appreciated music, writing, photography, painting, etcetera, more than we appreciate status and money, we would never be in this mess. But, as I said, I am no economist.

16. Alex Turner

I didn't vote for President Obama, but i do want him to succeed. He is the president of our country after all. I'm pretty upset about this stimulus bill. He promised that there would be no pork allowed, and there isn't...they just titled the pork something else. If President Obama veto's this bill on the grounds of the wasteful spending, he will have more of my trust. Mr. President, yes you can!

17. Maxine Goodwin

As it is said "One for the Home team" zero for the Republicans, There's a new sheriff in town and FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!!!

18. craig

The stimulus will pass but I am proud that my republican party voted no .... we had to deal with no votes and obstruction from the dems for 8 years .... let the results of the stimulus be on the dems either good or bad

19. Ron Shaw

Good Evening Anderson,

I am a strong supporter of the President, but this stimulus is just not right. From what I have read this bill is loaded with a lot of pointless stuff that has nothing to do with boosting the economy.

I am sadened that the President is supporting this bill - did he forget to read it?

Enough is enough – scrap this plan and sit down with leaders of both parties and hash it out - get something on paper that will work – not just please some congressman or womans /Senators special interest.

20. Bruce

Anderson, At least in this stimulus bill, we do know where most of the money is going. Rebublicans should think about who layed over and played dead when the bailout money went and whom can't say what is happening with the money. I hate to be like this but it was philosophy in govt that got us into this enonomic mess

21. George

Obama has the Republicans against the ropes whether they know it or now. They have walked themselves into a corner. They think that by holding off their vote they somehow stand unified against the Democrats. But when things start turning around they will see that they stood against progress.

They ignore history, they ignore the plea of the people and think that by cutting the taxes of the same people refurnishing their corner offices is gonna fly.

Sorry guys, its 2009 and there is a new guy in town!

22. Peg

Looks like business as usual on the Hill if this spending bill is any indication. The President may want bipartisanship but clearly the Democratic leaders in the House are doing business as usual ... what a shame.

23. Greg

The unanimous vote by the Republicans shows that they are still playing political games while Americans are losing jobs. It appears to be a lack of sensitivity that could only come from someone that has a job and is personally unaffected by the downturn in the economy.

24. Lawrence

Howdy bloggers, just glad there something in there extending healthcare.

25. Aren Foster trinidad

im a big obama fan. during his campaign he had a purpose which represented everyone. i hope with this bill pass it will have true purpose and value to benefit america and be not like another bush cheny plan.good luck to the president the inspiration to all the youths. the world is at your side mr president and we will be ther with you on your journey to fix the worlds economy.

26. renard

It should be clear after 8 years of controlling the government that the Republican Party has no idea other than tax cuts which we the American people all know now doesn't work.

27. Cal Dipkin

BRAVO!!!!!!! To the Republicans and 11 Democrats for having the

COURAGE and BACKBONE to NOT vote for this RIDICULOUS Bill!!!

This is called a stimulus? What a JOKE!!!

28. Mike Anderson

As a very left democrat, I have to say that this large package of money is a bit scary. Some of the project that they are on the bill are going to go to already large contractors that have large employee bases already. It is not going to help enough of the little people. I love that it supports the NEA, as a theater employee that is GREAT, but right now I am not sure that is the right thing to do...I would like to see a bill with NO pork barrell projects in it...wouldn't that be historic?

29. Dulcie - Denver

I apologize, I forgot to greet Anderson, Erica (welcome back!) and my fellow Best Bloggers.

I guess my feeling is that there's pork, then there's PORK. If something is incredibly useless or stupid, then it's PORK. But if it's for a few select cultural things, like zoos, museums, etc. then yeah, it's pork-ish, but still employs people.

I don't fuss over the little stuff, but Republican's idea of trickle-down economics simply doesn't work. The little guy could starve waiting for some crumbs to trickle down to him.

30. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I thought Obama was against earmarks? Why so much pork in this stimulus package?

31. San Carlos Matt

The Republicans are skating on thin ice here. They must realize that there is no need for a bipartisan bill if it isn't going to get bipartisan support. We'll see what happens in the Senate but if the Republicans don't support it over there then the Dems need to move forward with a more partisan bill; keep the middle class tax cuts but put the rest into infrastructure investment - we get the jobs now and more capacity in our economy for the long term future.

32. Sharon

thank You David for informing us of the true facts of this new stimulus package

33. apple, NJ

I'd like to see more from the republicans who voted no. Did they veto it simply because it's democrat's plan, or for some other reasons? I'm really disappointed at this party line. I'd like to see more democrates who vote no and more republicans voting yes, at least that shows people knows what the priority is.

That being said, I do worry about the huge deficit, and I don't think the plan will have big impact on the economy anyway. Economy has its own life, not likely to be influenced much by government spending.

34. dick

A stimulus plan should stimulate. When 80% of the benefits do not arrive until year 2 of the plan then it doesn't accomplish the stated goal. We / the government cannot spend our way out of these problems. Create jobs by cutting corporate taxes and encouraging employement and savings thats a plan people should support. Republicans are right to vote no.

35. Rachel

It was ok with the Republicans to vote for the stimulus packages for the automobile industry and the banks, but now its a problem when it comes down to the American people. People are losing their jobs on a daily basis. We need a bailout too.

36. Jimmy I.

I truly think the GOP did a great thing today by standing together and voting "No." This bill is a good in concept, but it lacks quite a bit. The fact that public works spending might not get spent until 2011 is ridiculous. We will give Americans money to stimulate the economy, but then won't give you a job to keep your spending going for two more years. Not to mention, there is not guarantee that people are going to spend this money. As with the Bush stimulus plan, many people could just save their money, or pay down their debt. But that's another discussion.

In terms of pork spending, I find it appalling. President Obama and Vice President Biden ran on the notion of cutting the pork out of Washington. They preach bipartisanship, well why not put a stimulus bill straight up. Put your leadership to the test, and see what happens.

I truly think this vote of no by all republicans and 11 democrats truly shoes that President Obama isn't going to sail through this presidency.

37. John Perri

I'm outraged over the House passing the stimulus bill. Not about what it contains (which i believe most of Congress doesnt even know) but about almost no debate on a 650 page bill spending 700 Billion!
    We're now up to 1.4 trillion in spending bills with little or no debate. Unconsionable!

38. Jason

As a early Obama supporter, I am appalled at how partisanship the bill has become. I do not like how there are so many democratic pet projects, I was really hoping some progess would be made to unite the two parties into a mutual agreement for the bill, rather having the democrats taking advange of the majority in the gov't.

39. Mickey

Didn't we try tax cuts under Bush and Reagan? Did they work ultimately or leave us in bigger debt?
    Isn't $$ for schools stimulative– shoring up buildings, adding technology, lowering class size?
    thanks

40. Abelas Simon

I simply dont understand this bailout. I am came from Europe 24 years ago. I am proud American Citizen, one thing i have learned throught the years is not to rely on the government. So where is all this money going?
    If I wanted to buy a house I worked hard for it, things are bad but to spend more money than you are earning is not good economics.
    The more Government we have to worse it gets.

41. Kevin Hagemeier

The stimulus bill is way short on growth oriented or incentive based tax cuts such as marginal income rate reductions and reductions on capital gains taxes. Certain Keynsian infrastructure spending is okay as long as it can be expedited and can potentially improve productivity for America. The 1950's based Federal Highway system vastly increased the productivity of America.

42. Abayomi, Florida

It's great to Have a Press Sec. that acutally makes People Laugh and in an Intelligent Conversation.
    I congratulate the President for all the Change, the Interview with the Arab Television...WE ALREADY KNOW OUR PRESIDENT, more than the Rest of the World. RESPECT...is so important to the Rest of the World. The same Respect He is giving to the GOP.
    Laying Grass at the Mall, will it not get People Working. Infrastruture that is Crubling, Hires People. Where Does Tax Cut Hire People. It will be Better Definately than before. That is 5% more in Infrastruture than we had Before.
    So much to say tonite to keep statements short.

43. Jose

when are the people going to get bailed out! Give us the money and we"ll pay our mortgages, cars etc... and get rid of the bad assets they are carrying.

44. Paul

I guess no one in Washington got the memo: The country is broke, the interest will be 3 billion, what a deal. I wish I could spend like that.

45. Bill - a retired Marine

The Republican vote in the house today is proof positive that they are for the Rich. The did not do this on the Bank Bail out. The GOP is not offered an alternative. What gives? I understand differences but what are they offering other than trinkle down – which has us in this mess in the first place.

46. Mike Roeper

I had real high hopes for Obama when I voted for him. This load of crap, disguised as a "Stimulas Package," is so offensive I can't find the right words to say how I feel about it.

Studying climate change for NASA? This isn't change, it's the same old thing.

Can you say "Bloody Monday?"

Good Gawd! What a dissapointment.

47. Debbie

Tax cuts, rebates? Our country is in deep trouble, I for one don't want anything from our government. I would rather see a stimulus package geared towards all job creation, fixing our infrastructure, health and human services and education. Let's stop worrying about ourselves as individuals and make the sacrifices now for a better tomorrow for everyone.

48. Tony - Florida

I'd like to know how the stimulus will help people who are upside down on their mortgages.

49. Mike, Syracuse NY

The issues are:
    1. No one knows if this will work, we've had 2 stimulus packages of $168 billion and $700 billion last year that appear to have done nothing but add to the deficit.
    2. Much of the money is just new spending, not new jobs.
    3. Just like the last $700 billion, they are saying 'trust us' with how it gets tracked and accounted for. Didn't we learn anything?

50. Deborah Meyer, Denver, colorado

We should be putting more money into changing the grid system to accomodate solar, wind and geothermal power to become energy independent and create millions of jobs, clean up the environment and become the next leader in alternative technologies.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16