January 28th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/28/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Cooper's new theme song? Oh wow...too much information. Haha.

Thanks for another great night Cooper, Hill, Gergen and all AC360 staff and team. Glad you're so excited about Beyonce, Cooper.

I hope you all have a great Wednesday night. Get some sleep. Happy Thursday!

January 28, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  2. David, Indiana

ok Megan thanks for the answer good night,

good night everyone

January 28, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  3. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Good night all. Lots and LOts to read on the blog tonight. It may take me until tomorrow..

January 28, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  4. Maureen T

Andy, why don't you dance to Beyonce's song?? I just know you've got rhythm! 🙂 Thanks for keeping me informed and always smiling! Good night.

January 28, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  5. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

After seeing the "Shot", I, too, was impressed that Obama knew that Justin T. did "Single Ladies" and he knew the hand wrist twist too! Perhaps he will be the "coolest" president....

Lot of people on the blog tonight! Good discussion and show. Nite all!

January 28, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  6. Mary

More Spending!
    The stimulus needs more spending.

However, some of the spending that some people complain won't be spent out soon enough, like updating the electric grid, green energy and broadband expansion ARE actually stimulus in spite of the fact that they will take longer for the money to be paid out.

This is because the businesses that would work on these projects need the confidence that the money will be there for research and building in future years.

Currently some areas, like green energy have been funded year by year. Not much of a vote of confidence for a company to determine their future out a few years.

So... if the businesses are able to see down the road a few years, they will start their investment now, without the uncertainity currently in the market.

This bill is not just for the current crises but also to make our economic future more stable.

Tell Ali that he should recognize & push this point.

January 28, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  7. David, N.Y. (USA)

Hi Erica and Anderson,

I think that you guys are extremely funny and very professional at the same time!!!

January 28, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  8. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, Erica David Gergen, David in Indiana and best bloggers!!!!!
    Have a great night and sleep tight everyone!!!!!! 🙂
    See you tomorrow night!!!!!!

Anderson,
    Go home and get sleep after work!!!!!! See you tomorrow night!!!

January 28, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  9. Lauren--NY

Goodnight, all! Thanks for a great show, Anderson & Erica and crew. See you tomorrow night! ❤

January 28, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  10. Marium, New Jersey

Good night everybody!

January 28, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  11. Clarence Albuquerque

Good nite, I feel haggard.

12. Genevieve M, TX

re: The Shot

Thank goodness Obama did'nt wear a leotard! 🙂

13. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good night Anderson, Erica, David, Ashley and bloggers! Have a great night! Thanks for an amazing conversation tonight! Great show everyone!

14. Marium, New Jersey

A president that doesn't live in a bubble!

15. Emmerentia

Hi Anderson and Bloggers. The GOP have just shown how totally out of touch they are!! They could at least have OK the extra money for food stamps and unemployment benefits. People are suffering, including some Republicans!

Crumbling infrastructure? Gee, that lot looks bad – are we seeing the "fall of the American Empire?" Just asking.....

16. jarrod

i think we need a depression we need those rich senators standing in the line at the soup kitchen next to us to understand the pain the real americans are feeling they just aren't getting it

17. Dauny - San Francisco

At a time when people are losing their jobs or struggling to make ends meet, it's sad to see a story such as Haggard. Hope he's not too much of a discouragement to religion.

18. Pati Mc

Yay! Play that video Anderson.

I want to see Kevin drop it like its hot! Come on Kev, you can DO IT!

Anderson, Ercia, you guys make me smile! A little silly never hurt anyone.

OMG Candy won Beat 360! Sweet!

19. EJ (USA)

Anderson – I'd like you to dance to that Beyonce video.

20. Belinda

Anderson, great point! Our President is well rounded, lol!

21. Isabel, RJ, Brazil

@ Paulo Fonseca: Hi, Paulo.

Now, I'm in Brazil, RJ.
    And many times I lose understanding.

I also ask:

Anderson and Erica,
    Please, speak more slowly!

Very good find a Brazilian here!

22. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

He does not have the hand-gesture down. Bettin' you could do the "Uh-Oh" way better than President Obama, Andy.

Hope everyone has an excellent night! See you guys tomorrow.

23. Mike

Hi Anderson,

Can you ask the Republicans who think they know how to fix the economy why they are not pushing to privatize Social Security. Remember that brilliant idea they had a few years back. Just think how worse we all would be if we Americans lost our Social Security income in this joke called the stock market. Thank the Democrats for stopping this train wreck.

January 28, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  24. claire-wichita, ks

Mike–

Sounds like more Americans need to be schooled in economic principles–and certainly more of our legislators....

January 28, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  25. Larry

I am a male I do interior const, I thank the republicans is the ones,
    got us in this mess,I hope you'll watch the people you give the moneys
    to, I think the black males still going too loose hard work dont matter to republicans.They want all the moneys,just give me one big job to do and pay me the right cost the right cost for a change.I see alots of apartments being bulited for half the money it cost who is pocketing that money? my bet republicans.its hard as a singal perent with a 10 year daugther to make it with all the black balling being done.I can work hard and long winterising at least it will help us get ahead.all i'm saying the people you give the moneys too watch them help the ones that already had a chance and blow it.If I know how to get rich by working why or you'll putting the wrong pleople in charges.I,m 48 years of age and so far been step on all the way.I see everything and I can show everybody who getting the moneys,just go look at some of these house and apartments then you will know where the moneys is going.

January 28, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  26. jay

I wish someone would admit that they don't have a clue to how to fix this mess! Every time I watch any program on any network rather it's conservative or libral, I get different solutions. Which leads me to believe that we are in over our heads on how to fix the economy! All I wish is that something gets down! No committes to study problems, just action! Also, when did Rush Limbaugh become the leader of the Repubican party?

January 28, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  27. LisaL -Canada

i guess if obama can be a single lady, anyone can!

January 28, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  28. Michael

Infrastructure is much needed in my area we have had two water line breaks in the last several days and the local utility board has a spending freeze in place until july for any new projects and has a hiring freeze also not even replacing retiring employees.
    the need for upgrades to the local sewer system cause overflows into the river every time we have a heavy rain.

January 28, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  29. Dulcie - Denver

Great night, everyone!

I won't be able to participate tomorrow. I have City Council, which is a version of... Hades. Fortunately, I don't have to go too often anymore

January 28, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  30. David, Indiana

"Can you boys get those moves together?" feel like I'm watching some kind of musical about Broadway, Erica. Happy Wednesday.

January 28, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  31. Macaroni

These marketers trying to capitalize on the Obama girls aren't being merely "tacky." What they're doing is exploitative and it's wrong.

January 28, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  32. Em

I think it is way past time to put aside "conservative" and "liberal" rhetoric and focus on doing what is right for the average American. Maybe we need to send all our lawmakers home for a month and require them to live on the average American salary or UI benefit. This might give them the incentive they need to focus on realities and not on partisan idealism.

January 28, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  33. kim-chicago

Washington is a mess when it snows...so funny to all of us here in Chicago. No light weights living in Chi-town,

January 28, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  34. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Alexander
    Good Evening, everyone!

Congratulations to President Obama on tonight’s great news! Also, congratulations to everybody, including me, who supports Barack Obama. Finaly, I think Ed Henry crossed all possible lines i today’s report: his anger toward Obama is not acceptable.

Alexander,

South Dakota

I agree with your comment about Ed Henry. Everytime he reports I get this cold negative vibe from him. It's not cool.

January 28, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  35. Tracy Brown - Ontario Canada

I'm not sure I understand why, as a general rule of thumb, Americans are often willing to support a war, which is really, really expensive, yet rarely do they support spending money on improving their homeland.

Can someone tell me this?

January 28, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  36. Sharon

Ok I have to say this so the Stimulus package document is over 600 pages well pass it to me I will read it within a couple of days for you all and tell you exactly what is in it!
    But don't hold your breath I doubt anyone will allow any taxpayer to read the entire thing!

January 28, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  37. Amanda Ontario-Canada

Just keep keeping them honest Anderson

Stay Safe

January 28, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  38. Alex J

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS! I watched the evening news on one of the major networks this evening and the topic was Obama's economic plan which was voted on in the house today. The network asked 3 leading economist to grade the effectiveness of the overall plan...the grades were B+, B+ and B...pretty good grades. However, zero, nada, NO Republicans voted for the plan. Is it just me or is something grossly wrong with this picture. Apparently they did not cast a vote against the plan ( B+, B+, B) but rather they voted against the dems, Obama, or the American people. This stinks....badly. I'm flabbergasted over this. I'm tired of these millionaire/billionarie congressmen/women toying with the people they are supposed to represent. They live different lives than the rest of us...their kids comfortably in school...waiting on jobs that dad or mom will get for them while the average american lives paycheck to paycheck and they have the nerve to play with our futures. It may be time for us to take to the streets...enough is enough.

January 28, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  39. Maureen T

I must say though it is about time more models of colour be used!!

January 28, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  40. Deena

I don't like seeing things that hurt people while others cash in on what they did to cause that hurt. Privacy is something very special and making money at the expense of others while an American Pastime for some, is disrespectful to the person who is their target

January 28, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  41. shirley

To get passed the partisan line norms, ask why 12 House Democrats voted against the Simulus package. What were their concerns?

Republicans cater to big business. Democrats feed the entitlement programs. Who is fighting for the middle-class, taxpayer?

January 28, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  42. Mike, Vermont

Perhaps we should all go to the White House for a cocktail. If this 'stimulus' plan passes we will all need a good stiff drink. Cheers!

January 28, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I can't wait see The Shot of Bonyce danicing so great!!!!!!!!!! I hope Anderson will dance with us!!!! LOL!!!!!! 😛

January 28, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  44. David Gergen

Hello again...

Megan, Lori, Leslie, David in Indiana and so many others - thanks for being so faithful in writing here.

Caroline G - great to have a KSG grad tuning in. On the question of having representatives of different parties on air, I think it is really important that folks tuning in have a chance to hear the arguments from each side because they can sometimes be lost in the din. I am not sure I am the best "man in the middle" but I do think it is critical for all of us as citizens to listen closely to the more than one perspective. Thanks for joining tonight.

January 28, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  45. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

Marketing the Obama girls is tacky, tacky, tacky! Stage moms please do no stoop any lower!

January 28, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  46. Isabel, RJ, Brazil

Working with children is very good, but requires greater dedication. The sincerity of scares children, sometimes.

January 28, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  47. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Obama was right on about his comments on the differences between Chicago and DC when it comes to handling winter weather. It takes a lot of snow or ice before schools and businesses close here in the MIdwest.

January 28, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  48. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

@Polly, actually traditional "Jeeps" are quite popular with gay men. LOL

January 28, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  49. Matthew

WAIT? Ted had to have his therapist tell him he's not gay??? I HATE people who play religion. His actions when a lot more than "irresponsible" they were hypocritical. Ted, Juanita Bynum and Paula and Randy White are all big time preachers. If their God is BIG then why can't he heal their sexual "sins" or mirages? Either their God isn't real or they are not true followers of their beliefs.

January 28, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  50. Ellie

President Obama was very gentlemanly in trying to appease those juvenile Republicans, but clearly, they are set on being self-destructive. It's no wonder they've turned to Rush Limbaugh to save their conservative idealism and base. I think that says it all doesn't it?

January 28, 2009 at 10:53 pm |