January 27th, 2009

Sound off: Your comments 1/27/09

Editor's Note: After Monday night’s AC360°, many of you wrote in with gratitude for “blowing up the show” and showing the entire interview with President Obama on Al-Arabiya TV, on such short notice. Many felt it was important to see and some viewers thanked Anderson for the peek at the Haggerty documentary but felt the interview with Alexandra Pelosi was rushed and dismissive. A lot of you appreciated Ali Velshi and his report about Wall Street and the loss of jobs. Finally, there were a few complaints about the moving graphics on the screen (breaking news on the left and Anderson Cooper 360/AC360.com/segment name, on the right).
_________________________________________________________________________________
Thank you so much for showing the Obama interview on Al Arabiya. This is what I look for in the news. Extremely important. We need to hear more perspectives from outside the U.S.

President Obama interview with AL- Arabiyah is amazing, and I hope you have a link for it.

Thank you for airing President Obama's first interview. I am amazed and so grateful he is reaching out in such a positive way to the Muslim community and for that matter all people equally for peace. I feel such incredible hope now. Thank you again for deciding to air it last minute.

Between Obama's interview on Al-Arabiya and the Haggard documentary, tonight is your best show ever. You're showing how great TV journalism can be.

Okay, today we learn that Citi is buying a jet for executives and they are laying workers off. What is wrong with this picture? If we (the American people) are bailing out Wall St. Shouldn't we have some say on who is overseeing the spending. This will not work and there will be more Americans with no jobs. Thanks, for letting us know and keeping them honest.

I've been a loyal CNN viewer for 20 years but you are forcing me to turn off CNN because you insist on filling the screen with visual distractors. Trying to focus on Anderson's interviews tonight was impossible. The bottom left screen blinks bright yellow every 4 seconds with "Breaking News," "Breaking News," "Breaking News." In the bottom right is "Anderson Cooper," "AC 360" blinking on and off every 2 to 4 seconds. …. I really wish you would eliminate them before I permanently eliminate you from my evening viewing.

I'm surprised. I generally like Anderson's kind of dry sense of humor. Tonight, his interview of Ms. A. Pelosi & comments about that former pastor were disrespectful to her, dismissive of him, downright brutal. She could barely speak! All you could hear was Anderson protesting "I know better". What was he thinking?

Saw your coverage about Ted Haggard today and Anderson & Ms. Pelosi were going on about Haggard being gay and not admitting it. Why does it seem that they could not entertain the thought that Haggard might be bisexual? Why does it seem there's either gay or straight with no gradations in between?

Filed under: Anderson Cooper • Behind The Scenes
  1. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

I want to state i didn't mean to be mean by dissing Anderson 's ways of interviewing just be more carefull of it . I love the 360 team and show .

Michelle D.

xxoxo

January 28, 2009 at 12:50 pm |
  2. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

I look forward every night to the un biased opinion of Anderson's interviews.The interview with Ms.Pelosi was rushed and i agree she could barley speak there has been many time where he has talked over his guests he's trying to answer his own questions . I love David Gergen he's a genius in poplitics hes' the only voice of reason .

Michelle D.

January 28, 2009 at 12:48 pm |
  3. Sam, Ewa Beach, HI

Thank you for showing the interview with President Obama on Al-Arabiya. It was definitely a message to the US as well as the Muslim community. I also enjoyed the conversation with Melhem, Gergen, and Aslan.

I particularly didn't feel the Haggard documentary was rushed. I felt that Anderson raised some very interesting questions especially for those of us who don't get HBO. Though the interview seemed a little awkward in the middle, the ending was humorous and didn't seem so dismissive. Overall, I feel the series of questions seemed unexpected to Pelosi, but they were good questions.

I didn't notice the flashing graphics too much.

January 27, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  4. Eddie from Winnemucca, NV

Anderson-
    Thank you for your dedicated time and effort in reporting the "truth" and for having Erica Hill as your intelligent and humorous side kick. She is my favorite. Now to the nitty gritty!

The $700 million bail out, no czar is necessary or a hired hand that may be influenced by personal experiences in politics. Give it proportionately to the 50 states and have them responsible for the funds. It is needed and you have accountability. EX: Keep it simple, stupid!
    Thank you.

January 27, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  5. Annie Kate

I agree with the statement about the screen graphics – they are distracting and at times they keep you from seeing some things that a reporter is trying to show in their report. Go back to the crawl – it was small and took up less space; this new graphics takes up about a fifth of the screen while the crawl barely took up any space. You have too much going on in the screen now – it detracts from the news and Anderson and his reporters.

I thought the coverage of the interview was excellent. I especially liked the analysts and their interpretation of it. Certainly a lot of meat for thought.

January 27, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  6. Joan Roscoe

I enjoy A Cooper's reporting best of the other cnn reporters.
    Mos of them expose their their bias's when they are reporting. Even though they claim to be unbiased.
    When Pres Bush requested congress to hurry up and pass his bailout to the banker' s , most of the congress did it without so much as a snibble. They had no clue what was going to be done anddidn't think there should be any rules for spending it. BUT when it more certain it will help the not so wealthy workers such as in the auto industry or workers about to be laid off in major cities that have bad roads and bridges and large plains that could perhaps produce clean energy thats a different story. I just wonder why? What would our suggestions be? I we cut taxes won't government sevices be affected? In my city Police are being laid off already. School teachers will be next if something isn't done to improve even if just a little our economy . So why not send suggestions on how to manage he money being asked for by the states and cities that need it and offer suggestions to the president insteand of just bad mouthing everything as if thigs got this bad when President Obama got elected. When Pres. Clinton left office we had a surplus. jobs and it did;t take lon for it to disappear with the blessin og all these media folks who are now complaing. What up with that? Thank you for my two cents.

January 27, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  7. Jan in Illinois

I SO agree with the comments about all the junk on the screen. This has been getting worse and worse on all of CNN since the election.

Not ALL of us have new wide screen TVs and it's getting to the point where there is 1/3 picture and 2/3 blinking black and red and yellow graphics. You should be more interested in what you SAY rather than what you can fit into the screen.

January 27, 2009 at 9:52 pm |
  8. Brandi - bottom of the boot

oh yeah, and besides, the gergman brings in so much balance that it levels out the show. lol

hugs and kisses David!!

January 27, 2009 at 9:36 pm |
  9. Brandi - bottom of the boot

i happen to enjoy the rare moments where we see anderson's aggressive side. he is human and does have his own opinions. i know he is supposed to be unbiased, however, there are times when theory should 'fly over the coop'. lol

i love the show. the ac360 staff and crew are the best. i can always count on them to present both sides of the story to the best of their ability. the occasional bias is welcome on his show since he spends most of his time trying to walk the line in the middle.

January 27, 2009 at 9:34 pm |
  10. Ramona Williams

Dear Mr. Cooper
    My husband and I was fortunate enough to attend the Inauguration of President Obama. We watch your show every change we get. I have a concern with CNN and other news programs that are on CNN. The problem that I have is that most of the time that you and the other news anchors speak about PRESIDENT Obama. You and the other media people just call him just Barack Obama. He has won the election and he deserves to be called PRESIDENT OBAMA not Barack Obama. When George Bush was president the media never called him just George Bush. This is DISRESPECTFUL. He deserves the RESPECT to the called by the title that the American People gave him.

I don't know how to have the media to stop this but if you and the other CNN news shows could start showing him this much deserved respect other news outlets will follow.

Ramona Williams

January 27, 2009 at 6:06 pm |
  11. Ros Johnson

Republicans are asking for tax cuts, for who the rich, the middle class and poor dont have jobs. If you dont have a paycheck they cant take taxes anyway. The reason the U S is in this mess because the republicans were looking out for their base of rich people.. And now they find out their greed has put us in hell. Rmember they were against minimum wage increases. If we let them alone people here in America would be living like people in third world countries..

January 27, 2009 at 4:00 pm |