January 27th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/27/09

Want to share your thoughts on the stories we're covering tonight? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss a special "Floor Crew Tuesday" webcast during the commercials, since Erica has the night off. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Gary New Orleans,La.

Governor of Illinos had dug a hole so deep he should let the people deside on what should happen to him

January 27, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  2. Pati Mc

How someone could take advantage of the Travolta fmaily at the time they lost their beloved son is eyond me. Unconscionable.

January 27, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  3. Monica

David, I nominate you to be that Jack Welsh person for us!!!!!! The entire country would trust you to get the job done...and done well!!

January 27, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  4. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Ashley, we are an odd group! But I wouldn't trade it for anything because we are one of the best groups!...but I can picture Anderson reading our comments about our oddities and just shaking his head at us.

January 27, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  5. Rich, Boston

I wish I was in charge.......I would begin by drawing down troop levels in Iraq and create a "Green Dividend" with green jobs in our country....the way the Clinton Administration created a "Peace Dividend" by drawing down the Pentagon budget after we winning the Cold War which created growth for technology/internet companies such as Microsoft, Cisco, and Intel.

January 27, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  6. Adeline

@Eric in omaha- hey, welcome !!! I hope you have as much fun as me, plus it's great to learn stuff too.

January 27, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  7. Ron

Jim M, I am not aware of that and thats why i was using examples – However we have to remember that it is a global economy, i am also aware that the priority is our country first "America"

January 27, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  8. Maureen T

Let's face it, Ted Haggard is living a lie. Tell the truth Ted, it will set you free! Be yourself no matter what they say!!

January 27, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  9. Rekha AC

Dear Anderson,

I hope you're doing fine. Don't work too hard. Obama's interview is good this early as President. Very encouraging towards the peace process. What do you think? Take care.

January 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  10. James Scott from Scottsdale, AZ

Ted Haggard is another exposed fraud (snake oil salesman).

What happened to the legit leaders?

January 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  11. David, Brooklyn

Why doesn't Haggard just quit his ministry and enjoy a life of gay sex? Why make this so complex?

January 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  12. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Haggard has odd taste in men. Very varied.

Thanks for not covering the Haggard story too long. Last night's coverage was enough for the week.

January 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  13. Renee

Why is the Haggar sex life such big news? Sounds like a repeat of the Catholic church sagas.

January 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  14. Mike, Syracuse NY

Sounds like Haggard's 'do as I say not as I do' philosophy makes him a natural as a politician.

January 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  15. LisaN Barnwell, SC

Haggard/ Blagojevich...hmmmm related maybe?

January 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  16. Abby

Ted Haggard...oh dear. You're Gay- so what? The problem is that you deceived your wife, not that you're gay. The problem is that you lied to everyone about who you are, not that you're gay.

January 27, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  17. Ali, Illinois

I am somewhat new to the political world and would like to thank Anderson Cooper for sparking my interest in it. You dig for the answers! I'm only 20, and still learning but I am so proud of my generation!

January 27, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  18. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Yes, thanks for joining in throughout the evening, Anderson!

And EJ, I don't even bother using the microwave if I'm sidetracked... Food gets cold and turns to rubber when I reheat it... 🙂

As for Haggard, is this surprising at all? Those who preach hate against others are generally harboring a secret of their own.

January 27, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  19. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Don't people like Haggard realize that you can't buy people's silence indefinitely? Sooner or later it will all come out.

January 27, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  20. Mary

We aren't talking about oversight or transparency for what is done with bail outs or government votes in congress. The term that should be used is inclusive. Even if we can't vote on certain items, we desire to be included and at least know what is going on with matters that effect us.

January 27, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  21. Kevin

David Gergen:

Do you really believe that after taking $825 billion from the American taxpayers that the government should then appoint a "stimulus czar" who will have to be paid by the American taxpayers, considering that government produces nothing and therefore makes no money of it's own? We've wasted enough money trying to "save" the economy. It's time for the government to simply cut taxes, cut their own spending, and let the market correct itself.

January 27, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  22. Renee Y

ok, why the continued story on Haggard?

January 27, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  23. LisaL -Canada

nice to see Tom on air more!

i happen to agree completely with David Gergen's statement about needing a "hard hitting, no nonsense, super manager". good call. i suspect that will happen sooner than later.

have a pleasant evening!

January 27, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  24. Pati Mc

David Gergen – I totally agrewe with you. Don't you feel that this job is going to take more than one person? They need a team, surely.

January 27, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  25. Maureen T

I pray all of these babies survive!! I hope mom and dad are doing well too! How wonderful that these doctors and nurses worked together and saved them all! This couple will be so busy but I'm sure they will get assistance!! Another wonderful miracle!!

January 27, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  26. Desmond Martin

I agree in full with the actions of then senator obama, he voted against us being involved in a war in the middle east. we have problems in our country that we could have focused some of our bullet money on.

January 27, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  27. Fernando

Hello AC

These octuples are a goog answer for the crisis. How to compete in an restrictive scenario.
    Regards from Brasil

January 27, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  28. Genevieve M, TX

Eight kids at one time?!? OUCH!! 😦

January 27, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  29. Caroline, Los Angeles

I think they should just take that $825 billion and create 3 million jobs with it. I wouldn't mind working for the government.

January 27, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  30. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo Valerine.
    Welcome to Live blog tonight!!!!!!! enjoy join blog tonight!!! 🙂

January 27, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  31. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Rikki – Haha. Oh wow, aren't we an odd group? No phones, no meals....honestly, I am just as sad. I go into this zone and people literally have to throw things at me to get my attention.

AC360 – what have you done to us?

January 27, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  32. EJ (USA)

"Space is limited" the doctor said about the octuplets. I like that line and how she said it so seriously.

January 27, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  33. Renee

Good luck to the new parents! I hope they get some free diapers and a chance at a reality show. Maybe Mrs. Duggar can offer them some tips.

January 27, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  34. Glen Up North

CaseyJ, I can match that. Ask my mom how I am regarding meals whenever I'm visiting home, ever since my pre-teens. Always last at the table... with AC360, it's no different. 😉

January 27, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  35. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA !

@Marcus..."Why didn’t federal investigators wait for Gov. Blagojevich to actually attempt to sell the senate seat?"

That's EXACTLY what I've been asking all along. These are supposed to be professionals leading the charge (and levying the charges). All you have to do is watch TV drama to understand that you need the crime to actually happen, to have a criminal! Talking about committing (this) crime is irrelevant.

January 27, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  36. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Wow! 8 babies! That is crazy and they are all doing so well! What a blessing! (though I'm not sure I'd ever want octuplets)

PS. Its nice to know that I'm not the only one who plans their day around AC360!

January 27, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  37. Bridget, Cypress, TX

@Ron, I thought the plane was purchased from a German company? I remember one of the complaints was that it wasn't even an American built plane to support out economy.

January 27, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  38. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Sorry, but this octuplet thing is a non-story. More than likely some of these children will develop health problems in the future.

January 27, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  39. Gary New Orleans,La.

we as americans want the government to spend the tax dollars wisely. we have to see wht would happen for us.

January 27, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  40. David, Brooklyn

That's a lot of babies!

January 27, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  41. Ken in NC

One baby girl was a hand ful for us but WOW. 8 is enough.

January 27, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  42. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

8 little babies. What on earth will their bills be? It is mind numbing. I'm glad they are healthy.

January 27, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  43. Caroline, Los Angeles

Oh finally he said they have a father too.

January 27, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  44. Mike, Syracuse NY

@Mindy: "How do you explain the Republicans who DID support the 700 billion and who are now suddenly becoming economic conservatives."

Easy, they saw it didn't work and learned the lesson. The Dems seem to think doing the same think will yield different results.

January 27, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  45. Pati Mc

LOL Eight Is Enough, the graphics guy gets a cookie! Great call! 😉

January 27, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  46. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

I used to work in a daycare....8 kids?.....I just....wow....that's a lot of kids.

January 27, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  47. Caroline, Los Angeles

I keep hearing about the mom of these babies but nothing about the dad. Is she a single parent?

January 27, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  48. Trisha

I think a czar is a good idea but who would anyone recommend for this position, who can anyone trust???

January 27, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  49. Jim M

Ron,

I undertood that the Citibank aircraft was to be provided by a French company, not Boeing.

January 27, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  50. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

These parents wouldn't be so excited if they found out that they had to raise these kids without any outside funding or government help.

January 27, 2009 at 10:44 pm |