January 27th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/27/09

Want to share your thoughts on the stories we're covering tonight? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss a special "Floor Crew Tuesday" webcast during the commercials, since Erica has the night off. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Vanessa, TX

You know if you add all those babies' weight, it equals the weight of my son, Yes I had a 14lb baby boy. And that was his weight @ birth!

So I really sympathize for the mother!! She's a trooper!! She had 8 kiddos @ once!!

January 27, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  2. James from TN

There needs to be oversight that's what got us in this mess b/c we threw money at something did not care what and CEO's bought jet instead of what it was for.

January 27, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  3. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Cooper, regarding your question about the "czar" – well, we had a war czar and a czar for everything imaginable under the previous administration. I think, most importantly, that we need someone to hold accountability to these stimulus packages. Ideally, shouldn't that be the role of the president's economic team and congress?

And plus, isn't there a reason that there aren't any "czars" anymore?

January 27, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  4. Taylor

No czar!! Just get it right the first time.

January 27, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  5. Ron

Thats true. Greed is a problem. Buying a jet may not be a bad idea. What if – its cheper and time saving when they fly delegates on a private jet overseas. Its hard to comment when the whole picture is not infront of you.

January 27, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  6. Adriana

Mr. Gergen's idea is very good...we need to keep track of our money...
    The Illinois governor is unbelievable...Some people say that he is crazy, but I think that he is just very corupt and arrogant...

January 27, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  7. Fay - California

There HAS to be some oversight for the stimulus money, David Gergen is right – it's still mind boggling that no one knows what happened to the bailout money.

January 27, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  8. Pati Mc

Could someone please explain to me how this Blagojovich can make a laughingstock out of his impeachment trial by running around doing interviews the whole time it is going on? I am not getting this at all.

January 27, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  9. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Anderson, I think it is an awesome idea! There has to be some oversight or we will have the same problem that we did with the bank bailout where we don't know where it went and then very little will come of it..

January 27, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  10. Vanessa, TX

why are people asking for Blago's autograph? Isnt that wierd

January 27, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  11. Bob Coyle

I think we should go and get that plane back that citybank bought.
    How obsene.

January 27, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  12. Mindy

Anderson,

I think David Gergen's idea of a "czar" to oversee spending of the stimulus package, is a great idea. Without some authority figure in place to track where the money is going, we will have a mess all over again.

We know that the banks and financial institutions cannot be trusted to use the money for its intended purpose. Look at that monster Thane, the CEO of Merrill Lynch. He spent a fortune on his own office while his company was going down the drain.

January 27, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  13. Kevin

Republicans should not be "playing ball" with President Obama on this stimulus, because it will not work and will only make things worse.

January 27, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  14. Sonya

Here it is.

The consensus is a message of Hope.
    The cameras and soundbites are more apparent than ever.
    The reality isn't so much a reality show. It's a reality.
    People are losing jobs. Crooks are being fired.
    And people are still having babies... lots of them.
    Thanks for keeping them honest.

January 27, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  15. janet

It doesn't take a financial expert to tell you this stimulus package is full of a lot of spending which needs to be addressed at a later time, doesn't the goverment already have an expense account to uprade their computers? Or remodel? Aren't there already financial programs out there for cultural arts and food stamps? KIS, just cut me a check, I will be sure to either spend it, put it in the bank, pay off a bill or all three. Either way the money will be in the economy immediately.

January 27, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  16. Marium Rizvi, New Jersey

Whatever you want to call the person, there needs to be someone watching the money, how it's being used, and keeping like a progress report going. Without that kind of careful management, such a large amount of money can be wasted. We've already seen that happen, so let's not doing again.

January 27, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  17. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Are the mother and babies are ok?
    Yes, They are doing great!

January 27, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  18. claire

Roland, normally I find myself in agreement with you, but on this matter I must align myself with the "Gergenator". I think a big complaint about the first half of the the stimulus package under Bush was the lack of oversight. We need someone who is watching over the money. Folks in Washington have been known to have sticky fingers when dipping in the pot...

January 27, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  19. Perri

I am surprised at David Gergen's ignorance about the middle East affairs.
    Al-Arabyiah is the one of the highest watched channels in the Middle East and he refers to it as "That Arab TV"?
    I expected better. Specially in the current environment.

Time to spend some time to know how people live outside the US.

January 27, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  20. Taylor

The Republicans agreed ahead of time they couldn't support the plan as is. They want to add and work with Obama. Obama is claiming bipartisanship, but where is his action?

January 27, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  21. chitowngal07

surprise, surprise, Citibank used the money for something other than what it should have.........

January 27, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  22. J, Jacksonville Bch, FL

i think its sickening that Americans are even providing billion dollar bailouts to all these corporations who have failed perform. I think this financial crisis is the best thing that could have happened, our economy isn't dying its purging the dead weight of companies that have failed to be competitive and or protect the interests of the people who support them. If all the banks and auto manufactures went under new companies would emerge to take their place and that's what we need.

January 27, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  23. Adeline

anderson cooper said: what do you all think of David Gergen’s idea of a “czar” to oversee the stimulus spending?

sorry i dropped out of college. I don't know that one. what is "czar" anyway...I was away using the bathroom and I missed it. are you talking about those rich russian leaders ? haha
    my lack of knowledge is not a joke though.

January 27, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  24. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

Yes Anderson I agree with this czar to oversea this pakage ti must be enforced to ensure that the money goes where it should be spent there has been to much lying and underhanded for 8 years it a good idea

January 27, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  25. Kassie Wright

I'm not sure I know what to feel about Palin's continued activity in the political community.

On one hand, I support her for being a continued strong role model for young girls (going for the angle of ambition as opposed to passivity).

On the other hand, however, I'm worried that she will continue to be made a mockery of, which obviously hurts her credibility.

January 27, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  26. Lori from IL

I liked Ed Rollins comment about President Obama hearing the Repubs. opinions himself – instead of through the filter of a third person. I believe he really is trying to hear from all sides and trying to work together for the good of all.

January 27, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  27. David Gergen

Hello everyone - to echo one of our regulars here, Megan Dresslar, glad to welcome you aboard Yesenia.

From reading some of comments tonight, I gather that while most of you continue to support the President strongly, there is a growing concern about whether the stimulus money will be wisely spent and whether you will experience any lift in your own lives. That's one of the reasons I came out son strongly tonight in favor of the President appointing a Jack Welch-type - hard hitting, no nonsense, super manager - to oversee this spending. p.s. I made a mistake tonight in saying that one of the managers FDR appointed to oversee public works spending was Harry Hopkins; I should have cited Louis Howe instead. Howe was also a close political adviser for FDR. Sorry.

January 27, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  28. Ronnie

Stimulus why? 85B for who? will it pay my bills? feed me? pay my mortgage? get me a job? i dont do construction.. this is crazy... rich people like you Anderson and Obama don't understand what it is to be without. really give the 85b to someone making 35K i bet you they know where it should go

January 27, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  29. Suzanne(In.)

I think David Gergen's idea is "Wonderful"! Finally somebody is making some sense! David Gergen has worked for and advised several past presidents....i think he knows what he's talking about.

January 27, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  30. Jacques

I still have not heard why the stimulus package or a portion of it does not get directly deposited into grassrouts bank accounts. The money can only work its way up into the economy if fed from the bottom as opposed to trickle down economics which has proven to be ineffective.

January 27, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  31. Emmerentia

In the end Pres. Obama will do what he sees fit to do. He is highly intelligent and perceptive and understand the workings of the Senate and Capitol Hill. Just hope he gets a good "overseer" on the distribution of the $850 billion. I believe some of those execs whose companies got the original TARP money should be replaced.

January 27, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  32. Ebony

I think Gergen is right...if no one is taking control...it'll get "lost"

January 27, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  33. Sharon

Why not hand the money to US the taxpayers and let us spend it!

We after all are the ones who really need it now, not these banks obviously if they can go buy a new jet I don't think they need our money, let them figure out how to get back on their feet themselves.

The first thing should have been to fire and replace all the heads of office but I see that did not happen so no wonder they took the money and did what they always do with it spend it!

January 27, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  34. sylvia, chicago

any job we hold we are accountable for our actions and are judged based on our performance, why is it so hard for us to apply the same principles to our government? let the bipartisan antics go, lets try working together...who knows the results might surprise us all
    lets be optimistic and open minded for a change people

January 27, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  35. Ree

Palin needs to sit down some where.... but she really helps dems by talking and talking and talking.... Its funny that the Rep party doesn't have anyone in control at the moment, so people like S. Palin can try to lead the party. If she is the leader or anyone who thinks like her, I will never be a Republican.

January 27, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  36. Karen C

The idea of a manager or a managing team does seem necessary. Maybe it's just hard to find trustworthy people. Who would you get? Have you all seen that they have a site up though, recovery.gov for the bill when it does pass so we can keep track of the money? It seems like they must have some plan in mind.

January 27, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  37. Abigail

Yes! Gergen is the greatest source of political wisdom. This needs oversight! The Citigroup CEO should go to jail for spending 1 million dollars of tax payer money to renovate offices and buy an $80,000 rug. That 1 million dollars could have provided so many jobs, and that $80,000 could have put two or more people back to work.

January 27, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  38. Mike, Syracuse NY

Probably for the first time ever I agree with Roland. The Treasury Secretary should be the guy on the hook to make this work.

@Mindy, this isn't a case of being obstructionist. It's trying to make sure that what we spend the money on is real stimulus and will work. NO ONE is really sure what will work.

January 27, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  39. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

CaseyJ – Palm Springs, CA, That is exactly what I mean. Those aren't long term solutions to our economy. The only long term solutions are to bring back the manufacturing jobs and start changing the trade agreements.

January 27, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  40. Pati Mc

Wait...what? Did Tom Foreman just say that 9 out of 10 exec's still have their jobs after the Bailout? Are you KIDDING ME????? And the poor workers lost their jobs! Someone needs to get in there and clean house. If these companies want federal money, then they need to be accountable. This is ludicrous!

Dead on Anderson, WE are paying for it. Over and over. Wonderful.

January 27, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  41. peter l form tampa fl

dear anderson my question is president obama has said he will give
    tax brakes for working class and banks but i have not heard anything
    about people on social security i am a 65yr old who can even pay mt taxes this year what will happen to the elderly in this case please request an answer for us thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 27, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  42. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Definitely agree with David on the Czar, Anderson. Such a task requires more attention than the President alone can give. It's worked in the past. No reason to think it's not a good idea for the present.

January 27, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  43. Dan

We need leaders who rule for the people that they are suppossed to represent. House and Senate members try to rule to get more funds to be re-elected, not to do what is best for America. Hopefully, they realize that their constituents will value their championship of what is best for America. Obama has the potential to correct the course of our government. We need a Greek model where if a leader was thought to be ruling for their own gain, they were expelled from office.

I don't understand how we can give tax refunds that exceed how much they pay into the system.

January 27, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  44. Esma

What exactly does a CEO need to do to be fired and (preferably) prosecuted and jailed?

January 27, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  45. Mike, Vermont

Read the bill. They have put in over 500 million for 'salaries and expenses' for various officers and boards once you add them all up. Including 14 million for a 5 person panel appointed by the President. I'd say they have left lots of room for Gergen's 'Stimulus Czar'.

January 27, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  46. jarrod

Most of the last stimulus checks that where given out last year were spread out over several months and leaked back into the ecomomy giving the appearance it worked. I think with this new package spreading out over eighteen months is designed the same way and will probably prove its failure in time........we are going to need a depression to get out of this..Sadly enough

January 27, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  47. Adriana

About the treasury secretary...I am afraid that we are going to have a wolf to guard the sheep...

January 27, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  48. Daniel

Why is not such brazen misappropriation punishable as a federal crime? You can't buy vice items with food stamps but vacations decorations and private jets can't qualify as scamming the gavernment?

January 27, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  49. EJ (USA)

I know that spending food stamps or unemployment benefits may not be viewed as stimulus, however, simply buying the basics and circulating those funds “trickle up” into the economy and keep people employed. Right?

Right.

Plus we don't need to throw the poor people over the cliff in order to help the middle class.

January 27, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  50. Rich

The commentators are dead on that there needs to be a "czar" to remove the nonsense and pork from the stimulus package. That is the only way the Congress can avoid looking crooked. They look bad enough with the first bill that had not transparency. Aside from that, no one believes that you can borrow yourself into prosperity.

January 27, 2009 at 10:23 pm |