January 27th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/27/09

Want to share your thoughts on the stories we're covering tonight? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss a special "Floor Crew Tuesday" webcast during the commercials, since Erica has the night off. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Marium Rizvi, New Jersey

Evening,

Didn't they just "write out a check" last time? At least this time we have Obama actually out there willing to listen to other options. I do agree with David that there needs to be someone managing and overseeing for this plan to be effective.

January 27, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  2. g michael

RE: Stimulius package does the government take into account
    the many military personal coming home that will need health care,
    food stamps and unemployement benefits?

January 27, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  3. sylvia, chicago

David Gergen, you speak what so many of us think 🙂 completely agree with you, there needs to be a leader and an overseer for the stimulus package; its all about accountability, oversight is key

January 27, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  4. striker

the new plan is really an old plan used by FDR it took too long to work then and will now. short term jobs are needed but only long term jobs will get us out of this

January 27, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  5. Eric

how will the tax credit of 500 to 1000 dollars discussed on tonights episode effect me ? please explain
    thanks

January 27, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  6. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I agree with David Gergen, I don't want these public works projects just flying out the door without strict oversight. We can't afford to make more billion dollar mistakes.

January 27, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  7. khary

Does anyone get it... We voted for President Obama because we liked his ideas, so why not let him do what we sent him to Washington to do...

January 27, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  8. Gary

Cooper, Americans need our Government to come together. We do not need them republicans pulling out fellerbuster.

January 27, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  9. Emmerentia

Hi Anderson and bloggers. Was impressed with Pres. Obama's interview with the Saudi TV station. The word "respect" came through time and again and I believe that is what he is challenging the Arab and Muslim world with. Show respect and then..... The dealings on Capitol Hill is not necessarily all bad – it is always good to be challenged so that one does not become too arrogant, something that happened to Bush. I trust Pres. Obama to do as much of the "right thing" as the Senate and the House allows him. He unfortunately have to give in to some "pork spending" to get what he wants. Good that the "sod replacement" has been dropped though. More important issues than lawn, I would think.

January 27, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  10. Aaron Ennis

Anderson,

What is the pecentage of citzens that actually pay income tax? Is it citzens making less than $200,000 a year?

January 27, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  11. Laarni Abling, Toronto

Hello Anderson and Crew!

I think Obama's really serious about making good on his promises about CHANGE. But the senate and everybody else should work hand in hand with him to make all this a reality.

Together we stand, divided we fall....remember?!

Good Luck, Mr Prsident!

12. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

I strongly agree with David G., regarding additional managers for these far-reaching proposals. His advice is solid as usual.

13. Ernie

825 billion-why? who? give it to working American- mortgage, credit card bills, medical bills..thats what we need help with. Rich people cant help poor or us normal folks..we need gas money get real B.O. is rich- I want someone making 25K to 50K decide where to spend 825b

14. Miriam C

Yes, David has a point to say. Usually these companies dont take up the process of working with individuals – something to pick up their things and bring them to a collective place for distribution. This is nothing but rural development and we should do something.

15. Kathy, Chicago

Don't you think that people don't really trust Congress after the other stimulas package bombed? This Congress doesn't really have any credibility. Obama is still trying to build trust and confidence in the govt. Other than welfare programs, I don't really see any help for the average person in this new plan. i see politicians pockets being lined, business as usual.

16. Mindy

I disagree with Obama's efforts to woo the Republicans. My mom remembers FDR and the Great Depression and she said that the Republicans did the same thing back then. They have no scruples and want Obama to fail, simple as that. They don't even understand the concept of bipartisanship.

Obama will not get any help from the Republicans, not now, not six months from now, not one year from now. He and the Democrats will have to go it alone. The economy needs a big shot in the arm. The one big problem is how they are going to ensure that the money is spent properly.

David Gergen is absolutely right that Obama needs an enforcer. Otherwise we will have another disaster, just like with the original 700 billion.

17. Pati Mc

Wow. Roland just got The Gerg fired up. That cannot be an easy thing to do as our Gergy is so level headed. Yikes!

18. Renee

Thanks, Gergen, would you please put my name in the hat for TARP czar! I'll send you my resume and references!

19. Glen Up North

Welcome Yesenia! 😀

20. Jay, KY

Gergen is sadly right, and Roland is wistful. Roland thinks people should do their jobs... but Gergen understands why keeping oneself in check is not in some people's interests.

21. EJ (USA)

I cancelled (another) date tonight, with free dinner included, just to participate on this blog and watch 360! My friends all think I’m possessed or just plain crazy. It’s kinda like an ancillary family of sorts (except everybody uses their brains all the time)!

I wouldn't cancel a free dinner or anything like that. Well I guess it depends on the restaurant.

22. Valerie

This is another option to the Stimulus Bill....

With so many people getting laid off, why doesn't our elected officials opt to take a pay cut or work for free until the economy stabilizes itself? I recall as a manager, I opted to forgo pay increases to allow my staff to recieve pay increases.

23. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Gergen is right! This "package" needs an overseer. Martin doesn't know what he is talking about.

24. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yesenia – Vacaville, CA January 27th, 2009 10:10 pm ET

This is my first AC360 live Blogging adventure ,……. so far, so great.

Hellooo Yesenia,
    Welcome to Live blog!!!! enjoy join blogging!!!!

25. chitowngal07

I agree that many people need to receive help specially with all these layoff however it I don't think this is the best way.. .. I agree if anybody can do it it is Obama however this is just not sounding right....

January 27, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  26. Ron

Whatever the money people save by utilizing the food stamps or even tax cuts, it will help the economy. It might be in the form of people saving their money in the savings account which indirectly is a source of money for the banks or or spending it, thereby pumping money in the system

January 27, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  27. LisaN Barnwell, SC

I think our economy is like being 100 lbs overweight. It took a long time to put on and will take a long time and a lot of healthy changes to take it off. Eating just 1 piece of pork could blow the whole thing and a gimmick diet will not work in the long term.

January 27, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  28. Amaterasu-New York

I'm an independent who supported Obama. This stimulus package leaves out so many people. It may work somewhat, but could we get more oversight and analysis please? These "new jobs" are only for people with particular skills and/or blue collar workers. That's fine for them, but what about people who wouldn't even be considered for those jobs? Where's the oversight?

January 27, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  29. James from TN

Adding 8 kids at once in this economy is crazy. They might as well get ready for a long life together cause the child support would be off the chart.

January 27, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  30. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA !

JoAnn, doesn't the plan include lots of public works projects? You know those will be temporary.

January 27, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  31. Sharon

Thank You Anderson for saying that the house has not been very forthcoming with where the money is going or has gone!!!

January 27, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  32. claire

I know that spending food stamps or unemployment benefits may not be viewed as stimulus, however, simply buying the basics and circulating those funds "trickle up" into the economy and keep people employed. Right?

January 27, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  33. Rikki, Fargo, ND

CaseyJ, I know exactly what you are saying! Anytime I have plans in the evening or am asked to go somewhere my response is, 'Ok but I have to be home by 9.' 🙂

January 27, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  34. Rich, Boston

No more federal money!! Just look at former Merrill Lynch CEO John Thain giving bonus away to senior executives before being taken over by Bank of America and his $1mil office makeover!!

January 27, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  35. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

Welcome Yesenia ! Nice to have you here tonight !

January 27, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  36. Kevin

Stealing $825 billion from the American taxpayers is not stimulating the economy in the least. If the government "creates" 100 jobs it destroys 100 jobs because it takes that money from the private sector. Read "Economics In One Lesson" by Henry Hazlitt.

January 27, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  37. Bridget, Cypress, TX

Does David think it's realistic for use to believe both parties will ever come together and put the American people over their self serving needs?

January 27, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  38. EJ (USA)

The couple with the octuplets will probably get every expense covered for the babies until they turn 18 – which they should. They can make a lot of money with their story.

January 27, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  39. Tom of Philly

lets be real about this republican fiscal conservativism is 2920 days late a 5 trillion bucks short, its just convenient and posturing if things dont improve and they didnt vote for it they are hoping for mid term gains. obama was being quite dimplomatic by trying to talk to them from what i understand ssi and medicaid were passed without the republicans. then again mabey obama is trying to suck them in to share the blame if it doesnt work. who knows for sure,

January 27, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  40. monicava

Hi There! 🙂 OK, so with the stimulus bill, is the COBRA subsidy only going to cover those who lost their job since September 2008? My company shut down and I was laid off in February 2008. Since then, I am paying crazy COBRA premiums. Does this mean the subsidy would not apply in my case? Do you know?

p.s. LOVE you AC!!!!! Come back to DC!

January 27, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  41. Pam

It just amazes me that we are in an economic nightmare and anyone would think millions for the sod in Washington, a basketball court, or a huge inaugural ball would be priorities! How about housing the homeless, feeding the poor, or saving homes of the average American!!

January 27, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  42. Christine Smith

RE: Obama's Financial Plan

Can't we be big enough to acknowledge the first attempts at a "economic stimulus" plan didn't work? I don't see any reason to believe this one will succeed where previous attempts have failed.

January 27, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  43. Ian

Everything Obama's doing is more promising. The economic relief package will be an effective 1st step to ease our economic woes. It will not be a cure all but it will give optimism for 95 per cent of the country and that is more important than strictly Rep tax cuts for the wealthy.

January 27, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  44. xtina, chicago IL

I suggest no federal taxes taken out of our paychecks until further notice. drastic yes, but that's real change

January 27, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  45. Mike Simmons

Amen David Gergen!

January 27, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  46. David

I don't understand why people would want to reject Obama's Stimulus Plan. It seems that people don't want President Obama to succeed. As a country, I believe we should work together to improve our current situation. Are there any bigger issues that are stopping the House of Representative to reject this bill?

January 27, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  47. Renee

No loan programs for small businesses. Small business employs more than 50% of Americans. This is not good. We need funds for small business owners.

January 27, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  48. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

The economy is driven by consumer confidence. Obviously if people do not believe that things will become better than they will shove their money and stimulus package into their mattresses.

The government needs to set up programs with incentives to encourage companies (like Chrysler and such) to make consumer-safe and friendly products. Americans don't need a pickup truck that can tow an airplane. They need a hybrid, fuel-efficent, and safe vehicle that is compact.

It's like the cold war, actually. The US was so strict on beating out Russia that the competitivness drove the market and forced companies to think outside the box.

January 27, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  49. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Seems to me that President Obama embraces the opportunity to have discussions with the Republicans. He may not get 100% support from them now but you know what they say.... if at first you don't succeeed.....

January 27, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  50. Isabel, RJ, Brazil

Sorry, by my delay.
    Eight children at once, poor mother!
    I can hardly give an account of a boy

January 27, 2009 at 10:14 pm |