January 27th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/27/09

Want to share your thoughts on the stories we're covering tonight? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson during the program.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss a special "Floor Crew Tuesday" webcast during the commercials, since Erica has the night off. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Mike, Syracuse NY

Even one of the authors of this bill, Charlie Rangel, isn't sure it will work, and doesn't know what they'll do if it doesn't.

January 27, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  2. Karen C

I would like to know why I continue to see politicians and pundits surprised when someone says they don't know if this will work. If there was a known fix, if this was a known situation, I think the "fix" would be just put in place and done. That is the whole conundrum, "we don't know". Why do people act surprised that no one knows for sure? I have seen this expressed off and on today. I would also like to have some republicans show me just where the business tax cuts, that we know have been in place, are likely to help if you make this package all about tax cuts. I guess I am in the small percentage of people who see more long term benefit out of sinking money into reforming energy and fixing infrastructures than I do through tax cuts. If jobs are the bottom line, I just don't see it coming from tax cuts!!!!

January 27, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  3. Brandi - bottom of the boot

k, they just need to leave the Travolta's alone at this point. They are already in enough pain, this is just adding to it.

January 27, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  4. Rikki, Fargo, ND

A second stimulus will not work...if the idea of a stimulus worked the last one would have worked...the problem that there is no way to guarantee that consumers are going to use the funds to consume.

January 27, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  5. James from TN

Even if this passes we won't see change right away, 6 months to a year at best.

January 27, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  6. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

I know who can settle this stimulus package with no -nonscence Judge Judy she 's tell them all where to go and how to things done

January 27, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  7. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

I love Velshi and his pie charts. There needs to be a CNN technology-off where everyone gets to play with their new gadgets.

Obama's recovery plan seems to both provide relief to those in need (which is practically the entire country) as well as to stimulate businesses. I just hope the administration forces accountability onto the businesses that they loan the money to.

January 27, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  8. Kristine

Shout out to the 360 graphics team...you really do great work. I wish I knew how to add your "gizmos" to my line of work. It inspires me every day.

January 27, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  9. Brandi - bottom of the boot

food stamps, unemployment, etc...none of this is going to help me.

January 27, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  10. Glen Up North

Megan, I'm looking forward to seeing exactly what's going to happen on the "Floor Crew Tuesday" webcast, with Erica being away tonight... 😉

January 27, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  11. Ken in NC

Good evening Anderson, Erica and all Bloggers. Kind of a ho-hum day here. Hope you have something great planned for tonight.

January 27, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  12. Renee Y

Hello Anderson, Bloggers. It is a same that politics has to prevent people from losing their jobs and others to get jobs. This is just unbelievable

January 27, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  13. Abby

I really like Obama, but this whole "Stimulus" plan sounds very un-promising. Look what happened just a few months ago. This plan does not help to create jobs for white collar workers. I'm not an economist, but I know for sure this is not really going to help me or the people I know who lost their jobs.

January 27, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  14. EJ (USA)

8 kids is a bit too many

January 27, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  15. Adeline

hey EJ, how are you ? I see you here every night. lol. another 360 addict.

January 27, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  16. Isabel, RJ, Brazil

@ Megan: unfortunately, without Erica today.
    But nonetheless, it deserves a 'good evening'!

January 27, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  17. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA !

Yes, but will the plan affect 95% of the AC360 Bloggers?

January 27, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  18. Mike, Syracuse NY

It's reported that up to 25% of the 'stimulis' isn't really stimulis, just new spending. That's over $200 billion of pork.

January 27, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  19. Ken in NC

I am a supporter of President Obama but I have some problems with the Recovery Package he is offering. I see what appears to be lots of pork in it but at the same time I see Republicans getting in line to shoot it down if possible. This is not helping the country at all. Don’t they understand that the American people want all of our elected officials to WORK TOGETHER on the economic problems we are facing now? This angers me to no end.

January 27, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  20. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes Michelle,
    I hope so!!!!

January 27, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  21. Lori from IL

Good evening Anderson, Erica and Fellow Bloggers -

Like seeing the President on Capital Hill - shows he's a man of action - willing to take issues on himself rather than "staffing" them out."

January 27, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  22. James Scott from Scottsdale, AZ

Obama is on point. Come Repubs, play ball...I hate partisimship instead of logic...look in order for any paln to work, you have to go all in and the public will decide its effectivness.

January 27, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  23. Brandi - bottom of the boot

goodevening all.

i must say im glad they put restrictions on illionois and the stimulus package until all is resolved. smart move IMO.

Hey Megan!!!!

January 27, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  24. Bridget, Cypress, TX

Hi Anderson, Erica and bloggers–I hope everyone had a great day.

Anderson, I agree with the others, thank you so much for airing the entire interview. It was an unexpected, but delightful surprise.

January 27, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  25. Adeline

Night everyone. can't wait to hear the reaction from the muslim world

January 27, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  26. Kassie Wright

Good evening, Mr. Cooper, and best bloggers.

The interview was so good to see, it was a good decision for sure. I'm rather interested to see what the Muslim world has to say.

I'm not sure how I feel about the stimulus plan right now, to be honest.

Here's to another great show!

January 27, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  27. Danielle in Canada

octuplets...yeah WOW is right...i can't imagine life with any kids at all yet...

January 27, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  28. Dulcie - Denver

Good evening, everyone!

Freezing here in Denver, but I'm looking forward to the show tonight.

January 27, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  29. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

The parents of the octuplets should get some advice from Jon and Kate plus 8

January 27, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  30. Yesenia

It's time for us to reclaim our stature in the world and I am confident that President Obama will put us back up there.

January 27, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  31. christine

anderson,
    why can't the politicians stop talking about fixing the banks and start helping people like myself. I have 3 kids and had to move back in with my in laws just so my kids can have what they need.

January 27, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  32. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Hello bloggers and Anderson: Eight is enough seems like an understatement! I'm feeling for that mother!

January 27, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  33. Jana, Indiana

Casey J-thanks for rubbing it in. ha We have lots of snow here in Indiana.

Good evening Anderson and all bloggers.

January 27, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  34. leah

It is like President Obama is dealing with a dysfunctional family. The anger and distrust of the politicians in the Congress and over several presidency. Maybe he will have to call in Dr Phil for an intervention.

January 27, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  35. EJ (USA)

The Republicans are just trying to play hardball.

January 27, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  36. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Evening Cooper, Hill, AC360 staff, team, and contributors.

Nice tie Cooper. 🙂

I am quite impressed with the CNN coverage of the President's interview. I think it was the right thing for the nation and really emphasized his words of the inauguration speech.

January 27, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  37. Sharon

Good evening to all and I can't wait to hear the response about the stimulus plan!

January 27, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  38. James from TN

Evening Anderson, Erica, and David, how are you guys?

January 27, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  39. Glen Up North (Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada)

Evening Anderson, Erica, David, CNN, and bloggers. Reaction from the Muslim world... Al-Jazeera is refusing to speak about it? Hopefully they can rise above pettiness..

January 27, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  40. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

I agree with you Megan they need to vote to help the people the gop is always giving breaks to the upper class .

January 27, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  41. Danielle in Canada

I love the fact there is a "stimulus" plan...all i hear about at work is "cost containment"–a bit of a negative spin on the planning...

January 27, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  42. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Isbael,
    Erica is night off tonight!!!!

January 27, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  43. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Good evening, Anderson, Erica, and bloggers!

Hope everyone has had a great day so far. Looking forward to hearing the reaction to Obama's speech.

January 27, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  44. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Good Tuesday to all the chatters. I know we need the stimulus paln, but I don't like giving anyone a blank check. It's too much money to rush into another wasteful spending spree.

January 27, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Saera El Paso, TX

hello everyone
    wow
    oct-tuplets?

January 27, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

Thank you for airing the interview it gives us insight as to how Obama will deal with the growing threat of the musllim world and help to achieve peace

January 27, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  47. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA !

Good evening from sunny California bloggers!

January 27, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo Anderson, CNN, David in Indiana, and Best bloggers!!!!
    Happy Tuesday Night!!!!!
    That sound good to me to save our $825 billion dollars to help people!! I hope the republicans will vote stimulus tax tomorrow.

January 27, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Isabel, RJ, Brazil

Anderson, how was your day today?
    (more quiet than yesterday? I hope you're well)

Erica, everything is good?

Bloggers and team 360, evening!

January 27, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. anderson cooper

welcome to the live chat everyone.. glad you liked our decision to air the bulk of the president's intv with arab television yesterday.. tonite.. we have reaction from the muslim world.. and a lot on the battle over the stimulus plan...thanks for joining us.

January 27, 2009 at 9:56 pm |