January 27th, 2009

A comedy for some; for us, a horror show

John Kass
The Chicago Tribune

Watching Illinois Gov. Nosferatu (the walking politically undead) continue his media blitz on ABC's "The View" on Monday was like watching an old cheesy horror flick—"The Brides of Dracula."

"Speaking of integrity and intelligence, we're going to break and we'll come back with Gov. Rod Blagojevich," Whoopi Goldberg said.

As he sat with the women of "The View," the Illinois Senate began the final act of the impeachment. Democrats are certain he's become infected and deadly, and so they'll amputate in a matter of days.

But seeing him up there on the comfy couch in New York, I couldn't stop thinking of "The Brides of Dracula," the vampire movie that was a staple on WGN-TV's "Creature Features" series when I was a wee lad, afraid of losing my soul.

Read More...

1. Inta

Personally, I think his arrogance comes from him having info on people MUCH higher up than him and figuring one of them will find a way to save his butt in the end. Only time will tell.......

January 27, 2009 at 3:45 pm |
  2. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

Impeachment is a political process--not a criminal one-–and the presumption of innocence applies to all-–no matter how things appear. Blago will have his day-–in the criminal court system--for now, let him enjoy himself in the court of public opinion.

January 27, 2009 at 3:08 pm |
  3. Lisa VIC Australia

Here I was thinking it was boring but now wow – with is it like watching a skateboarder heading for the stairs and not being able to stop. I don't even want to blink. Can we see a book deal in the crystal ball?

January 27, 2009 at 2:22 pm |
  4. KAREN

AC EATING POPCORN : LOVED IT,that trueley was a SNL moment ,and as for Blogo he looks crazyer every day ,but he knows hes going down ,its funny he spent more time in his office after he got arested then hes ever spent there ,he made hes self look stupied going on all the talk shows to but hes not only being tryed for trying to sell Obamas cenet seat,hes under inditment for alot more .

January 27, 2009 at 1:49 pm |
  5. Maria from texas

The Gov. of Illinois is the epitame of suffering from radical cancer of content of character. Greedy, a liar,double-talker. The epitame of someone who gets into politics , only for his benefit.

January 27, 2009 at 1:13 pm |
  6. Heather,ca

I remember being embarassed by everyone and their mother and cousin and actor and etc running for gov out here in California. But after watching Blago and his trainwreck , I realize we had nothing on this one guy. All I can think is that for each interview he does there should be a worning on the screen"the following is a test of the professional reporter composure system". Because it has to be very hard to keep and maintain a serious face when someone compares themselves to Mandela,MLK among other things. It goes without saying that this guy is out his mind crazy. Maybe he wants to go out in a blaze of glory(He seems to think he is next to God or something).

January 27, 2009 at 1:02 pm |
  7. Pat Canada

Well I have my armour on so pelt away. Actually watching Blago on Larry King last night I felt he made some good points. And for the Criminal he's been painted to be via Media and Politicians I found something very likeable in him! I had a definite feeling that this Guy could be right and they just maybe out to get him. He wouldn't be the first! And his explanation on the No Testimonies being allowed was very believeable. He's different with no doubt but that doesn't make him a criminal. And why won't they play all of the recordings in Court?
    He's for it. My mom always said, No one really knows the whole story except the one living it. Pelt Away!

January 27, 2009 at 1:00 pm |
  8. Katy

impeach him. He is an Illinois shame and joker. I am from IL and did not vote for him twice; did not know him well, but I did not trust him (with his hair too) by looking into his eyes (in the picture). My 6th sense paid off.

January 27, 2009 at 12:44 pm |
  9. Karen - OHIO

I will have to agree with Cindy on this one. Has Blago just lost his mind or does he really think he hasn't done anything wrong. Where's Dr. Phil when you need him.

January 27, 2009 at 12:28 pm |
  10. Heather

Wow, the Creature Feature of WGN!! You took me back. The image you painted was painfully vivid. Blago is indeed a strange individual.

January 27, 2009 at 11:31 am |
  11. Cindy

Obvious Blago is so wrapped up in his own lies that he can't tell lies from reality now! Watching him try to explain away this mess is too funny! He needs to wake up and smell the coffee. The man is busted and no matter what lies he spews it's not going to help him

Cindy...Ga.

January 27, 2009 at 11:02 am |
  12. e stori

ac360 staff

I have to tell you that one of the funniest bits I have ever seen is ac sitting before the camera with a bag of popcorn as the Blago-circus was about to be shown.

Remembering that scene of ac settling-in with the popcorn has been causing me to laugh out-loud every time I think of it. SNL would be jealous.

Thank you for your sense of humor.

January 27, 2009 at 10:49 am |