January 26th, 2009

Obama-Biden heading to swear-in now

Ed Henry
CNN White House Correspondent

President Obama is heading over to the Treasury Department with Vice President Biden to immediately swear-in Timothy Geithner as Treasury Secretary after tonight’s confirmation, according to two senior administration officials.

The VP is expected to do the actual swearing-in, while the President will likely make brief remarks, according to the official.

The quick move is a sign that the President, who originally hoped Geithner would be sworn in on Inauguration Day, wants to get his entire team in place to help sell the $825 billion economic stimulus plan.

Amid mounting Republican opposition to the plan, Obama is planning to ramp up his sale pitch Tuesday with a trip to Capitol Hill to meet with House and Senate Republicans in separate meetings.

Filed under: Ed Henry
  1. Michelle

I'd just like to point out that as an mere citizen, I would probably be in jail if I had done something as egregious as he.

January 27, 2009 at 11:26 am |
  2. Pam

How can we allow the Treasury Secretary ( a direct report to the president) make a mistake on his taxes (not paying them???). Is he qualified for the job??? As a CPA I deal with the IRS regularly for my small business clients – the normal "Joe the Plumber" does not get the same red carpet treatment to say the least. Shame on our government – what a horrible example to set. You mean to tell me there is not one other honest qualified person out there??? I guess most Americans are too busy working in order to keep their job, pay their taxes and healthcare and outrageous gas bills to take the time to shout out about this – then again who do you shout out to – nobody listens!!

January 27, 2009 at 8:27 am |
  3. peter

What a joke. He's tax cheat with an illegal nanny. he was also behind the tarp plan. Am i missing something? Another bad judgement call by obama

January 26, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  4. Joe T

just another criiminal at the money dept. first it was stuttering hank a giuy that could not give a straight answer to any question put in front of him. now as bad as we are a guy that forgot to pay his taxes...please give us americans a break is there no more honest gov. employees left!!! what about the wasted tarp money the first time is timmy going to get that back/ what about the new plane for citi corp...the plane the plane boss.....please I have had it with our government

January 26, 2009 at 7:55 pm |
  5. Kathi Fullerton Ca

Obama said to Geithner "you have my trust". Oh geesh, how can you trust a liar? Here we go again!

January 26, 2009 at 7:40 pm |
  6. Kathi Fullerton Ca

I guess morals don't count anymore in this new America?

January 26, 2009 at 7:33 pm |
  7. Tammy, Berwick, LA

Good to know that a guy who can't use tax preparation software to do his own taxes correctly is now in charge of our financial futures. Yep, it's hope and change we can believe in America.

January 26, 2009 at 7:09 pm |