January 23rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/23/09

Want to share your thoughts on tonight's headlines? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson and Erica during the program.

Financial expert Suze Orman will be joining Anderson and Erica tonight to answer your questions. Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Maureen, Georgia

The girls are off limit, but there are people out there who'll do anything for money, even exploit little girls.

January 23, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  2. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Oh Erica, I think all of us need a year or two sabbatical to recoup from the longest election known to man.

January 23, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  3. Matt

Is it me or does Blago's hair look like the hair you snap onto a Lego person's head?

January 23, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  4. Kathy, Chicago

Mrs Obama is safe from me. Her style and mine are light years apart. I did really like her earrings. She is a bright woman, reminding me of Hillary when Bill took office. I think that she will make her mark on the white House!

January 23, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  5. stephen Webb

Looking forward to the King/Blago interview, but I really can't wait for the movie!

January 23, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  6. jacqueline, ny

Goodnight, Cooper, Hill, Gergen, Gang! Have a and restful weekend everybody! XOXO

January 23, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  7. Don, WA

Blago got busted because he asked "For a Few Dollars More" for that senate seat.

January 23, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  8. Isabel, RJ, Brazil

The doll is cute!
    But that collective euphoria scares me a lot!
    Yesterday, in a bookstore, in Brazil, RJ, without seeking my eyes found some 6 or 7 books on Obama.
    I just hope that the disappointment doesn't happen!

January 23, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  9. Matt

The damage is done unfortunately. The more controversy stirred, the more the few dolls that were made are going to be worth for the collectors who got their hands on one.

January 23, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  10. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Erica, who is bringing the Milk Duds? And where did Gergen put those Junior Mints?

January 23, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  11. Shillie, Minneapolis, MN

Someone needs to get Blagojevich some help. Does he think coming up with these crazy cowboy stories are going to make him look more sane? Monday should be an interesting day for him.

January 23, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  12. Miranda

Anderson- i am on the floor now...brilliant...
    Have great weekend team 🙂 !

January 23, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  13. guy barron

Anderson,
    The skit with the popcorn was the funniest thing I have ever seen you do and I watch you every day. LOVED IT! Blagojevich is such an idiot...he's got to be mentally ill. After seeing that, he def tried to sell the Senate Seat. What a nitwit!!

January 23, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  14. David Gergen

Hello again - thank you for your many generous and thoughtful comments tonight. There were so many good responses that when I started noting them down, the list grew longer and longer... Here is a partial list of folks I want to thank especially for their responses:
    Kathy, Chicago... Casey, Palm Springs... Lori, Il. ... Monica Williams... Bridget... Ken, NC.... Mari, Indiana... Casey, Sebastopol.... Joette... John... Elsie... Lori Ann, Buelton... David, Indiana... James... and Rachel... sorry if I missed some others... \

Dolores - think that the President does intend to provide more college assistance; hope it helps your kids at RIT.

John - great question: what will be in the infrastructure list? Am sure AC will hold them accountable.

Donna - don't know the rules about unemployment benefits in California; hard to imagine the state will issue IOUs to people who have lost their jobs.

Best to everyone... and now to that siesta!

January 23, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  15. Sean Hawkins

Those dolls of the first Lady kids isn't right because they dont even look anything alike keep the children out it.

January 23, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  16. Maureen T

With respect to the dolls, I have to say I agree with Michelle, it's not right to use the Obama children to sell these dolls.

January 23, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  17. Bea

People should refuse to buy anything else from beenie babies.

January 23, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  18. Ken in NC

Great show tonight Anderson and Erica. Go home and have a nice long and restful long siesta.

Good night all Bloggers and have a great weekend. See you all Monday night.

January 23, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  19. jane

I am not surprised that the senator finally appointed by Gov. Paterson was favored by Hillary. I imagine she would not have appreciated having Caroline fill her vacant seat since she endorsed and supported Obama.
    I think much has been made of Caroline being a "private person" in the sense she is a snob. However, I think I too would have chosen a private life after all that politics has cost the Kennedys.. I thought we should have been pleased that she wanted to step out into public life. Instead, she has been treated very shabbily by all concererned. How quickly we all forget.

January 23, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  20. Tegan Joseph

You Rock AC, But why would anyone like a book that sarah palin wrote or even influenced

January 23, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  21. Carolyn

Anderson, love the Cowboy piece...one of the funniest pieces you've done. Please keep us posted next week. Cheers.

January 23, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  22. David

My favorite comment from David Gergen...I don't know how to pronounce Blagojevich so I just call him "the idiot."

January 23, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  23. Alex (Aliso Viejo)

Good evening! 🙂

Lovely show for a Friday night. Blago is a circus and I can't help but laugh in confusion. Our Anderson is hungry but I give him credit for not showing the label of his snack. Reminds me to eat dinner.

Good night!

January 23, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  24. Lauren--NY

Erica, just a side note–I always love your clothes. Where do you shop? I must find out. 😉

January 23, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  25. Kim Orlowski

Hey maybe the Government can pull out their trusty staples "that was easy button"

January 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  26. ericacnn

ahhh... Fridays, Blago, Baretta and popcorn
    Good times.

Just wait until you see what's still to come!

January 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  27. M.H. Franklin, PA

Could it be possible that Blagojevich is trying to develop and insanity plea? The man is definitely in another world.

January 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  28. Candace from Canada

Giddy Up Blagovich! 🙂

January 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  29. Kathy, Chicago

Hey AC, speaking of Regis and Kelly, where do you get those really cool book marks of Wolf!?

January 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  30. Bridget

Anderson,
    You eating the pop corn had my family and friends who are visiting scream. That was just too funny.

January 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  31. Vanessa, TX

LOL OMG!! WHAT THE HECK?!! .....YEAH anderson didn't you ever hear about the Cowboys that rode around the Sears Tower in Illinois?! COME ON! he needs to go quietly into the night

January 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  32. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

Ok, I just got home from work.. UGH.. what in the heck is this... I turned AC on and you are eating chips or something and then this bizarro Blago speak....

Ok, I have to get a warm beverage and get in my jammies and check the next hour to see what the heck I missed today... Wow...

Never a dull moment in the news business....

33. Kevin from Michigan

Anderson with the popcorn. lol.

34. Mariza

In my opinion, Congress should say "amen" to everything Mr. Obama says and requests for a while. Thus, Americans won't think that Congress will boycott his job trying to fix the economy. Doing so, let's see how far the President will go and what he's going to do to fix (if he does) the economy. I just heard that one of his projects is to fix the mall. Is that really important to do with our money right now? What else is he planning to do? Perhaps remodel his mother-in-law's house to rent it out once she's living at the White House. I'm optimistic while I have my doubts. I really hope he does a great job. We'll see.

35. Belinda

Hi all, just got back from DC and the festivities and I just had to comment on Blago and Anderson's popcorn!!!! Too funny! Blago is getting more and more delusional. My mom thinks he has serious mental problems.

36. Sage of Annapolis, MD

Hello Anderson, it has been an exciting week and our President is off to a solid start, though I know there are many pitfalls ahead.

When I saw Rod Blagojevich today on TV with that wild and crazy news conference, I thought for a moment I was watching comedy central. Now we have cowboys, horses, cattle and a whole host of other critters who have inserted themselves into his impeachment case. I never laughed so hard.

Yes, what a week!

37. Dulcie - Denver

OMG!!!! Blago is incredible! Love the whole popcorn-eating, Anderson! Hysterical!

38. Heather - Spokane, WA

Somebody forgot to mention that it was movie night on CNN! Blagojevich is no cowboy and is not innocent. Not to mention..I dont think he will be nominated for any awards for that performance!

39. Ken in NC

Anderson, I did not vote for President Obama but I am some what pleased with what he has done so far, I feel that his girls are off limits. TY has crossed the line. They do not wish to make known the source of their inspiration but do we have to wonder very much with the names attached? Had McCain / Palin won, would they have produced dolls of the McCain children? Have the children of other Presidents been made into dolls? Did TY get releases signed for the use of the names of the girls? I suspect that TY is going to suffer more than financially behind this screw up. A Likeness of The President or the First Lady is fair game but the children are off limits. I'll not buy either of them for my girls.

40. Susan

Good for Mrs. Obama for speaking up about those dolls.

41. Teresa, OH

Blago is just a breakin' my little heart with the unfair treatment he is getting.... sniff sniff...

But, yet, I do respect that he said MUCH today that was honest ...only it was about OTHER PEOPLE. Incredible how honest we can all be when it's about others : )

He's pulling the old point the finger at the other guys.

42. Angela in Atlanta

Hi Mr. Gergen,

I truly enjoy your commentary each time you are on CNN. I concur, President Obama has done well, actually from the very beginning of his campaign. I think the saddest part of his term is that he will probably always have to fight against Republicans. They were not happy with his victory and therefore will not make any true effort to work with his vision and administration. That Rush guy may have said he hopes the President fails, but truth be told, there are so many others who secretly feels the same. Those kind of people would rather see the country look the way Bush left it, than to accept this African American as the leader of our country. Sad but true. But since the majority voted for him, I hope he as enough support to help him save America from total ruin, financially and relationally with other countries.

43. Paolo

Perhaps Blago should get the book deal Sarah Palin wants. He may not be great in being honest but he has great stories.

44. Lori from IL

Yes, Lauren - his wife, Patty, was fired from her job earlier this week.

Anderson - did you just gett busted, eating a bag of chips on the set?
    Some Garrett's popcorn (a Chicago staple) would make a better snack for the Blago show.

45. Kim Orlowski

Evening all, First time blogger her....You all are so awesome. Love David's insights very much.
    So I have to ask what happens if the stimulus doesn't work? It seems that what Mr. Bush has done as far as any stimulus in his term hasn't worked. I used my check to pay bills.
    What if? That should be the real question...and what does one do if What if happens?

46. Diane

My take on all of this:

To The President: Watch every dime of that bailout. Forget the tax cuts and put the money into infrastructure.

To Republicans – After the last 8 years, the only words coming out of your mouths to President Obama should be, "Yes, Mr. President."

To the Congress: Investigate the NSA spying and torture allegations and press charges, or open the doors and let all the prisoners out. No one is above the law.

To Blagojevich: Mount that old steed and ride into the sunset.

January 23, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  47. may

The Poor Widdle Anderson is Hungry!!!

January 23, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  48. Matt

@ Maureen T

I hope so. lol

January 23, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  49. Maureen T

Blagojevich was just ramblin' on wasn't he? Just like Robert Blake...Ramblin' on!!

January 23, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  50. Naissa, South Texas

Suddenly I feel like going horseback riding.

January 23, 2009 at 10:46 pm |