January 23rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/23/09

Want to share your thoughts on tonight's headlines? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson and Erica during the program.

Financial expert Suze Orman will be joining Anderson and Erica tonight to answer your questions. Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Mitch Sommers

Hello Anderson Cooper,

How is it helpful to give us Citizens cash with the Economic Stimulus Package? Cash has a way of disappearing by being spent on useless stuff. Would it not be better to give us a debit card that can only be use to buy stuff "Made in the USA". Does buying things at places like WalMart really help our economy, or does it help China's, economy more so than ours, as that is where most everything is made.

January 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  2. Em

Feeling a bit sick after Anderson's last question to Suze. I need to retire in 2014 or I actually begin losing more by working than drawing my pension...guess that's if my job doesn't disappear before then.

January 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  3. rosie

in a brief statement, what factors cause the economic decline or any certain persons?

January 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  4. Clarence Albuquerque

AC the allegations in the Bahamas (to me) is a revelation of how folks still want to grow richer at the expense of others. Glad your're watching all the scheming and fleecing.

January 23, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  5. Don

I'm really in a bind. Last year I made just under $100K and now face a change in income of $50K less. I live with my girl friend where I pay rent. I own 3 properties 2 of which are rented and one that I either must let go into forclosure, try for a short sale, or try to rent. My rentals have caused serious drain on my pocket so I'm feeling like my only option is to let go of one of the properties and focus on keeping the other two. Any suggestions?

Note: There is very little equity in any of the properties as I bought them just over two years ago.

Thank you.

January 23, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  6. Tom of Philly

trish some of the money was paper money and when assests lost value it evaporated, madoff and the like stashed the rest in th camen islands switzerland and other safe havens for cash

January 23, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  7. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Ah, Blagojevich and Palin....my two sources of pure entertainment for my weekend. Thanks AC360.

January 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  8. george

I am a 27 year old that makes 60,000.00 a year. my mortgage payment with my taxes and insurance is $3,600.00. Its a 2 family and i get $1,200.00 for rent. Im trying to refinance and they said my my debt to income is to high. My rate right now is 6.78% and im starting not to be able to afford it anymore.My credit score is a 685. What can i do

January 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  9. Jim Ranstrom

Only 80 of 800 terrorists in Gitmo are considered dangerous according to your interview. Who decides which are the ones that are dangerous? You just sat there and parrotted back his statement. Either you are an incompentent interviewer, or you agree with that ridiculous statement. Did you really get a degree in journalism as I did, or did you get a job because you knew someone.

Jim Ranstrom

January 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  10. Tom K Frankfort, NY

For starters, it's much more assuring to see such a different style of
    leadership. Bush always wanted to project a sense of authority and competence that, over time, wasn't credible. Obama has the impromptu command of information and sense of leadership.
    The events of this week have drawn attention from a worsening economic situation...the downturn is gaining momentum

January 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  11. jane

What's wrong with fixing up the Washington Mall? I'd rather see money go for that as it is something all Americans can enjoy. It certainly beats fixing up some CEO's bathroom, don't you think? I would like to see all of the stimulus money go for Infrastructure rebuilding. At least the indebted future generation would have something to look at while they work like "H" to pay this financial fiasco off.

January 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  12. xtina, chicago IL

glad to see that upstate NY "conservative Democrat" appointed

January 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  13. Jane

AC, what is wrong with Sarah Palin trying to get the best deal possible.
    That is why we have agents. If someone wants to read her book, more power to them. Go Girl, make the most you can when people are still interested in hearing about you, wouldnt last that long.

January 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  14. Shane, Las Vegas

Suze Orman, I have a question,

An estimated sixty million people in this country live well below the poverty level, and ...About another 180 million people in this country work full time jobs and make $50,000 or less, have no savings account, have on average $300 in their checking account, and their mortgage/or rent, car payment, car insurance, and health insurance alone is 75% of what they make a month before any food, gas, clothes, medicines, school supplies for kids etc. What advice do you have for them to help thier lives and finances since that is real America and the part of the country is who actully needs HELP? It certainly isn't ANYONE who has a 401K or a savings account, or assets of any kind, or a portfolio, since most of America does not even know what a portfolio is! It would be great to hear outside of the very small minority what your expert advice is to the ones who actually need help.

January 23, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  15. Angie M.

We're great at managing our money. However, we have a 3 month emergency fund in the bank, and we're working to add more. We are close to paying off my husband's motorcycle and will have an extra $135 a month. My daughter needs braces, which will cost us $119 a month. Should we do this when we pay the motorcycle off or wait until the economy gets better? Thanks.

January 23, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  16. Sean Hawkins

How much money should I have in savings now.

January 23, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  17. Naissa, South Texas

I wish I could inherit 50 million dollars.

Must be nice....

January 23, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  18. Dee

Susie,
    My husband and I are in our early 40s. We have lost, like most people, about 50% of the value in our 401ks/IRAs. We have 2 small children and are both employed. Our house is paid off. What should we do with our 401k/ Iras.

January 23, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  19. Clarence Albuquerque

Just coming into the evening of blogging. I hope everyone is making the best decisions they can for themselves. I love listening to Suze but. David I think it's up to more individuals to make their best choices. If I had $50 million, I'd probably just live of the interest.

January 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  20. Marilyn

Suzi, is Emigrant still a good place to keep savings?

January 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  21. Connie

What do you think of the first time buyer tax credit for this year and should one take all of it or partial credit

January 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  22. kevin

If recidivism rate of Gitmo boys is less than the general prison population of U.S., we should let them go? Really? Your guest said that 60 of 800 detainees "reoffended". Using an old fashion method of dividing, wouldn't that be 7.5%, not 1 or two percent? Wow! Kevin

January 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  23. Nina

Where can I roll over my 401k? I have lost my job.
    Thanks

January 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  24. Chris Allen

This is in response to Myra:

I understand that Bush released detainees, and what happened. So, if we release more detainees and the same thing happends? What have we learned? What do you sugguset we do?

Chris

January 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  25. John

I currently have 100,000 in iShares and paying my Fin./ Advisor 1.5% annually to "manage" the fund. I've lost 85K since August.....

Should I get out? If so? Where?

January 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  26. xtina, chicago IL

does Suze Orman really believe that fed. government spending billions on plans that might not work is better than riding the storm out. At least with the latter, we won't add to the deficit.

January 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  27. Amanda -Ontario, Canada

I am soon to go into a rental home after selling my home a year ago. I decided not to try and buy right now but instead rent where maintenance and fear of not paying a mortagage, property taxes and many bills associated with owning a home and using the money I'll be saving from that and building it elsewhere until I can find where I want to purchase land for my retirement, then retire exactly how I want.

Owning a home has it's good points but only when you can afford the risk that goes with it including fixing when it breaks (money pit) or foreclosures.

January 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  28. Jen W

Hi Suze,

The combined salary of my husband and myself tends to hover around the limit allowable to contribute to a roth IRA, so we have been waiting until tax time to contribute. We would rather dollar cost average, but don't want to get penalized if at the end of the year we exceed the limit. Are we doing the right thing or do you have another suggestion? Thanks.

January 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  29. Mark

David,

I am big fan of yours and you always seem to bring out the wonderful insight of politics. I am indeed delighted to see and hear both you and Roland Martin on. I am so proud to hear your views on our new President and his agenda. By the way....hello from Raleigh, NC

January 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  30. April

Suzie,
    What are your thoughts about the job market come 2010? My husband is supposed to be getting out of the military at that time and we are trying to decide if we can afford to do that in this economy. Thanks

January 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  31. Madalein

Anderson, I was told by my broker I can't even refinance my home because the value has dropped so significant. My loan will turn into an adjustable at end of this year. What are we home owners to do, i don't want to lose my home.

January 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  32. Deborah MacInnis

Does Suzy Orman think it would be a good idea if the government allowed people to start withdrawing their IRA's and 401k's later in life? Five more years (age 75) might let the monies recover some.

January 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  33. Geneva

For Suse:

Is it a good idea to defer property taxes under the program for seniors?

January 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  34. Kathy

for Suzie.... My husband lost his job today... he has 40,000 in his 401k... he is 55... should we roll it over into a current IRA that we have lost thousands in this last year or should we take the money out and do something else with it... Need your help!!!

January 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  35. jim

I have a new car loan, if one of the big three fail, do I have to pay off the loan if they do not enforce the 60 month warranty.

January 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  36. Vito

Dear Suze,
    My house is in foreclosure and I have employed a company to help mediate and get a loan modification The problem for us is that the house value has dramatically dropped and although we have invested more than we should have It will I feel be within market value
    in at least a year from now My question is should we just foreclose or try to keep the House?

January 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  37. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

I'm impressed Cooper spat out all those numbers. My head is spinning...

January 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  38. Isabel, RJ, Brazil

Hi Anderson, Erica, Gergen and blogers!

January 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  39. Judy-NYC

hello Everyone,
    i'm from NY & not thrilled with the appointment of Kirsten Gillibrand to Hilary's Senate seat. Read everything i could, not liking her stands on gun control & cozyness with the NRA...trying to get inolved in the DC handgun ban? And i'm sensing over-weaning ambition...kind of a Sarah Palin with smarts. She sounds like a machine politician with hyper-fundraising skills.
    we'll see; i certainly support strong smart women in their endeavors, but i'm selective too...character & backbone matter !

January 23, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  40. anthony rito

Susie,
    I am a teacher in sc making 54,000 a year. 12,000 is a raise i recently received and i put that all in my retirement so i don't see the raise....should I enjoy my raise and reduce how much i put in retirement?

January 23, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  41. Tara

For Suzie –> I recently bought your book '2009 Action Plan'. I recently got a new job and have 2 old 401k accounts from prior jobs (one is approx 27k, other is approx 35k). I'm 36 years old. I read in your book that you recommend rolling old 401k accounts to an IRA because employer-sponsored plans have limited selections in their 401k plans. My new employer happens to have a 401k plan which has over 250 account selections. Given this, would you still recommend rolling over to an IRA vs. my new employer's 401k?

January 23, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  42. Edith

First Lady Michelle should know any and everyon will make money off of the entire family. Can she get the girls names/pictures etc. copyrighted?

January 23, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  43. Susan

Lepards never change their spots. No matter how much money the government gives the banks nothing will change until there is different management in these financial establishments. If they are remodeling and giving bonuses and god only knows what else with that money for sure they will not do any good with it.

January 23, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  44. Fjola, NC

A question for Suzy: I don't make a lot of money, have no credit card debt but I want to start saving...for a rainy day. What is the best way to do that when I can only afford to save about 80 dollars pr. month? at least to begin with...

January 23, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  45. Jim Kohn

For Suze Orman – I heard you some months age guesstimate a bottom for the Dow in the 8,200 range. Lo and behold, that's where we've been ever since, more or less. Do you still think 8,200 is "the number"? – Jim Kohn, Guilford, CT

January 23, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  46. Anne Sherman

I rolled money over from a 403b into a IRA. The 200,000 is sitting in a money market account and I am hesitant to make a decision. How should I invest this money with the current economic conditions?

January 23, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  47. Matt

I am very suprised that even David Gergen missed part of the point of Obama telling the Republicans behind closed doors that “I won.” There were Democrats at the table too. He may have been speaking directly to the Republicans, but the subtext was quite obvious if you think about it. Though they ALL may think he’s young, has less experience, might be easily manipulated or puppeted about, HE is the President.

January 23, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  48. ericacnn

DREW – good questions. Maybe they're catching up on week one with a bowl of popcorn and AC360.

As for answering the phone...somehow I think there is a staff member in charge of that, but David Gergen would know best.

January 23, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  49. Eddy

Hi Anderson cooper, i have a quick question for you.... is our President is "President Obama or Mr Obama after taking oath of the office"? because you called him both several times on your tonight show. Nevertheless, please, i think President Obama deserved some respect, and i'm paying close attention to your show.

Eddy
    Atlanta, GA

January 23, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  50. Naissa, South Texas

Michelle Obama is awesome. Nobody can mess with her!

January 23, 2009 at 10:32 pm |