January 23rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 1/23/09

Want to share your thoughts on tonight's headlines? You're in the right location. Just scroll down and post your comments. This is where you can "chat" with Anderson and Erica during the program.

Financial expert Suze Orman will be joining Anderson and Erica tonight to answer your questions. Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Kathy, Chicago

Now is the time for Congress to really dig deep and do what is right for the country. They need to eliminate the pork, trim the bill and make it do able and right for fixing the economy, not lining their pockets.

January 23, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  2. Linda Sherrill

Someone mentioned 10% unemployment rate for Calif. What about Southern Oregon being the highest unemployment rate for all of Oregon at 10% . Just in the Medford Area alone...the wood industry is being hit the hardest. 2 plywood mills are shutting down, leaveing the industrial park in White City looking like a metal ghost town. Panel Products closed their doors along with Bosie, Woodgrain, just to mention a few. These are mills that help to support Medford and the surrounding towns. Health Care Clinics are laying off employees because we have lost our health insurance due to businesses shutting their doors.

January 23, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  3. EJ (USA)

We just can't quit Anderson either.

January 23, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  4. Jo

Hi Suze,
    My husband and I have a mortgage on a house purchased in 2006 for investment purposes. We have not been able to get it rented and hence we're paying a mortgage on a house that's empty. We've tried selling it without success. Should we keep the house or just keep trying to get it sold? We are also paying a mortgage on a house we are living in. I don't work at the moment but have been trying to get a job. I really afraid what will happen if my husband loses his job. We have no credit card bills but I'm really worried about our financial situation because we're living pay-check to pay-check.

Thanks,
    Jo-New York

January 23, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  5. Cindy

Thanks for your somewhat shocking story about the Merrill Lunch executive's extravagant remodeling expenditures. More information on this company's accounting practices and statements would be of interest to a significant number of viewers. Merrill Lynch counseled my middle class, retired parents into an inappropriate arrangement that lost them several million dollars and most of the retirement money they worked hard for over many years. Your reporting helps people understand the larger context and effect of that firm's decisions.

January 23, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  6. jorge PE

our goverment in Peru, started to give like 30 dollars to very poor people to heal the economy and this have been good.

January 23, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  7. Trish Hart

My question is; there is so much talk about banks and everyone else losing so much money, but since not even $1.00 has left the planet, where did it all go? Who has it?

January 23, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  8. gail jones

how is bailing the banks out again going to help the economy that's just like me borrowing my from a bank and don't pay it back while would the bank loan me money again. Had they taken the money and giving to the taxpayers people who where in default of their homes I am pretty sure that they would have done the right thing and paid their house note. For the rest of us we could have taken our portion and be able to purchase a new home spend more money in the market that is the only way to resolve the mess that we find our selves in. Why continue to reward people who made bad decisions and mistake. You give a person a loan for a house that cost over 300,000. and they can only afford a 100,000 dollar home what did they think would happen. Now the rest of the world has to suffer for what a few people who made bad money decision. come on people wake up and same the COFFEE

January 23, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  9. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Anderson, Siesta? I think we all need a year or two sabbatical to drain our brains of elections that last longer than the twilight zone.

January 23, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  10. Greg

Hi Anderson. Love the show :-). Heard about the actions of the Meryll Lynch CEO today. 1 million to renovate an office? Do any of these gentlemen ever care about the repercussions of their actions? Or the impact on us the taxpayers? Sickening.

January 23, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  11. Allison

Question for Suze

I'm a senior in college. I've been accepted to grad school and will need to go eventually to have the job I want. I would need to take out loans to foot the bill. So far, I've been fine with scholarships and part time jobs, so I'm debt free. In this economy, would it be better to take out the loans for graduate education, or get a job and save for grad school without debt?

January 23, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  12. Lori from IL

Re the "I won" comment -

Given his age, his minimal years of experience in Washington and the age and experience of the majority of congress - perhaps the "I won" comment was a reminder many people needed. Sometimes you need to exert yourself to establish your leadership position. It's not President Obama's typical style, so I'm sure many were taken aback – but perhaps it will make them think.

January 23, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  13. Beth

So, President Obama wants to close GITMO, but its ok to continue bombing Pakistan?

January 23, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  14. lela Morgan

AC,Remember 2004 when the republicans won, Senator Inhof was in the halls of congress talking to the media. He told the Democratic we won , so get use to it! Kinda a double standard. Who is keeping you honest AC? I guess the American people will. I saw this Inholf thing on C-span.

January 23, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  15. Luis Santiago

Suze, I watch you on the Today show a few months ago. I submitted a question which was: "should I use my savings to pay in full my credit card or should I continue to pay a little bit at a time until it is paid for?" You answered it and I did exactly what you told me. I used what I had in my savings to pay down the credit card to zero. I do not carry any balances and I do ensure that if I buy something, I can pay for it right away. Otherwise, I don't buy it. Thank you for your advice!!!

January 23, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  16. Kelly, Garden Grove,CA

Hi, guys!!! I'm sooo ready for the weekend myself...just gonna sit around the house and read and stitch (can't afford to go anywhere LOL).

I agree with MaryBeth about bipartisanship re President Obama's stimulus package. We'll be voting them ALL out next year!!!!!

Luckily neither my husband nor I have lost our jobs but it's getting tricky. His OT has been cut off for heaven knows how long.

January 23, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  17. Kim R

What a week, TGIF!!

Gee maybe President Obama needs to call in the remaining "John Thain's" on Wall Street to the oval office and remind them as he did the GOP that He Won and there's a new sheriff in town. Where is the moral responsibility of people these days?

January 23, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  18. kim-chicago

I agree with David Gergen...this nonsense has got to stop. Really what are these people thinking.

January 23, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  19. MaryBeth

OMG...I wish Blago would go away!!!! I am so embarrassed to be from Illinois. He is definitely showing signs of being mentally unstable. I swear, he's in his own universe.

January 23, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  20. Minou, New York City

Gov Blagojevich is like a train wreck... awful, but so entertaining.

January 23, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  21. John L

Suzy: Prospects for mutual funds? Are they still sound investments?

January 23, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  22. EJ (USA)

That was a cool line about Blagojevich Anderson – about why we just can't quit him. : ) Nice.

January 23, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  23. Angel

Question for Suze Orman, (Hello to you A.C.)

Our two incomes have been reduced to one due to a lay-off. We have exhausted our 8 month emergency fund, no car loans, 740 credit score, we can manage our mortgage, but we have 45k in credit card debt. What should we do??

Your advice is appreciated.

January 23, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  24. Sean

Would'nt lowering the interest rate 1% -2% on all mortgages help to stimulate the economy?

January 23, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  25. bruce

i am 45 years old, am a gay american have a partner that makes nearly the same salary i do and worry about paying my taxes this year...i feel overtaxed. i feel undercompensated as a gay couple trying to make a living in a trying economy.. what can i do to get ahead of the downward spiraling economy and secure a good future....

January 23, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  26. Lisa, Montgomery NY

Anderson, David and the rest of the team awesome job you do.

? 4 Suze... Just lost my job this week after 8 years, no savings, small severance. About 14K left in my 401K which i will probably need to cash out to survive on. My mortgage pymt is very small $450/mo (thx to large down pymt and sweat equity) and i have about 250K equity avail in the house. but 25K in credit card debt. Is there anyway i can tap the equity without a job? Worried and scared.

January 23, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  27. Ebony, Brooklyn NY

Mike in Syracuse:
    These people were let out on our previous president's watch. Obviously, no one in that administration had the foresight to do what was needed to ensure this didn't happen and they were released with Gitmo still being open. What difference would it have made if they were released and Gitmo was closed. I for one, believe that the Obama administration has the smarts and ability to make sure that the ones who deserve to be jailed will be dealt with and those that deserve to be released, will be released. But what worries me is that if some of these people were held there without justification, what is to stop them from wanting revenge after being released? Oops, this has happened already on Dubyas watch.

January 23, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  28. joan parker

Hi suzie, i currently own a townhome thats worth 60 thousand. i owe 124 thousand to my lender. i also pay an association fee of 1500 a year. my question to you is, is it worth keeping? might i also add that my bank recently issued a forclosure proceding against me. your opinion means so much to me. what should i do

January 23, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  29. Lisa

I wanted to comment on Nabeel's question on whether they should stop using Merrill for retirement planning. My question would be- where would you go? There is so much corruption all over and the markets are a real mess right now. I'm not sure leaving Merrill/BOA is the answer right now, unless you are not happy with your advisor.

January 23, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  30. Suzanne

AC – can't wait for discussion with Suze – I have about 20K in credit card debt – should I take 20K out of my 401K now and pay this off – not to mention upside down on my mortgage – still able to make mortgage payments on time and I'm employed.

January 23, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  31. Jane

Now we are blaming the treasury for Bank of America's mistake in closing Merrill deal, isnt it Bank of America who really had to do due diligence, why do they have a management team, irrespective of how much the treasury sweatened the deal.
    We are in the housing mess because alot of people bought houses they couldnt afford, and they only blame the brokers....

32. Jill

My husband has a great idea to help the economy. Instead of giving money to self-servers,(Big Company's), why not give away the money to college graduates who have student loans. You could then open up the doors to many new consumers looking to by that first car, house,or business. This would be money well spent, plus I happen to know that this new group of young people love to spend. And not having huge loans over their heads the sky is the limit.

33. Michelle D. Fonthill,Ont

Whose going to bailout the manufacturing industry ? John Deere is closing in Ontario it's crushing the entire community this is the backbone of our economy here .

34. Chris Allen

Suze,

Like most Americans, I have lost a un settling amount in my 401k. I am 35. Whats someone my age to do? Leave it? take it out? Invest els where? What do you think? I love your advice?

Chris- Owings Mills MD

35. Andrea, TN

What's wrong with resodding the national mall? People will get paid to lay the sod, people will get paid to sell the sod to the gov't. Didn't this sort of thing work in the 30s?

36. Tara-Round Lake, NY

Hi AC 360 Crew,

The entire CNN crew did such an exceptional job this week reporting the incredible events this week. America appreciates you all. Thank-you.

one comment: a $35,000 commode? what is wrong with people? Extravagance and Greed.

37. Casey | Sebastopol, CA

David, your voice is just outright pleasant... even when discussing bad news 😉

38. Minou, New York City

I recommend ING Direct bank. They are online only (in the US) and save lots of money on overhead because of that. tHey give better % .

39. c.clark

87,000 for a rug??? 35,ooo for a ?? stop. its our money make him pay it back,,and all the rest of them yo-yo,s

40. Vito

with regard to BOFA and Merrill Lynch its obvious that there was NO insider trading involed if there was BOFA would never have entered into this whether the government was involved or not. Clearly Merrill Lynch Had A Lot to Hide.!!

41. Jim in Phoenix

Good evening.

What are the chances that Congress/Regulators will seek to get back bonuses from Executives and Senior Management that destroyed shareholder value of companies that required bailout?

42. Bridget

Will someone explain to me, why the republicans and democrats are still into this divisiveness? Are the politicians not suffering from the economic fallout? Do they have a reason to believe we can overcome all our problems by doing things the same way we have for years? This, I'm a republican and I'm a democrat during a time when "we" need to all come together, baffles my mind.

43. Kathy, Chicago

Ac, NY still handled the new Senate seat far better than Ill. Burris is known as the Jr Senator from Blogjovoich.

January 23, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  44. Joe

A little while ago I was watching you on a cnn show when you mentioned that you really thought that in this climate, good dividend producing stocks would be a good idea if your time horizons were reasonably long.

You mentioned that you liked (without mentioning the name), a quality equity that was paying approximately 9%. The stock was at around $12 or $13 at the time.

Now I believe that stock is back to the same levels but has reported earnings not as good as they were but are maintaining the dividend for now.

Do you still think that going forward the risk in this stock is a minimal risk even though their revenues just dropped considerably?

January 23, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  45. Shillie, Minneapolis, MN

A well deserved siesta for you too Anderson! Everyone there at CNN has done an amazing job covering this crazy election the past 2 years, especially this past weekend. Enjoy the weekend!

January 23, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  46. Joe A

Suze

Lower interest rates should be good for borrowers (if they can borrow) but has tremendous negative impact on those of us who have been conservative investing in CD's and money markets. This has lowered many of our income greatly. Any comments?

January 23, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  47. Sammy

Suze

I am 37 years old, married with one son. My 401K has dropped to 44K and only have 24K is savings. I have a great job making 137K per year, wife makes 40K. You always talk about having at least an 8 month emergency fund and I think we will need it in the near future as my company is laying off left and right. We have mortgage of $2,200 (29 more years on fix) per month and car payment of $500 per month. Credit card debt is zero and usual monthly bills. With the 24K in savings, is this a good amount for the emergency fund?

January 23, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  48. Candace from Canada

I think President Obama is doing a great job so far.
    Coming out strong and looking in control of things.

I dont totally agree with shutting down Gitmo – but lets see what else develops there.

Caroline Kennedy – I am glad that she dropped out – I honestly didn't think she was capeable of it.

January 23, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  49. Bea

Was the Caroline thing handled badly? Not by Paterson. He made it clear the leaks could not be trusted.

January 23, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  50. mary

Please post, I get so frustrated
    I just read the editorial in the Chicago Sun Times and Blago isnt being completely honest with what he has said, surprise, surprise
    His criminal lawyer has quit because he wont listen to him
    He may be innocent, but his body language and statements make one wonder , and his cowboy story goes well with his dog and pony show he is putting on

January 23, 2009 at 10:16 pm |